Weather

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It didn't catch the governor off guard, but like New Orleans, it caught the mayor off guard.

I'm sure he'll be promoted up the ranks of the democratic party before being arrested and convicted of fraud, bribery and money laundering like his predecessor nagin.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
DIPmeI0VwAANbwy.jpg:large

DIQmWOdVoAAcV_u.jpg:large
The sign is right near where our office was. Good thing I moved a month ago.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So like, how does homeowners or flood insurance work out?, Or is this gonna be paid for by tax payers?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So like, how does homeowners or flood insurance work out?, Or is this gonna be paid for by tax payers?

Most folks have flood exclusions on their policies. Basically, the insured will file a claim, carrier comes out, confirms it's flood damage, then deny the claim. The claim then gets kicked over to FEMA (don't quote me on that), or whatever government body that processes that shit. Carriers pretty much act as independent adjusters for the government in situations like this.

• 1Like

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I was reading that only 20% of home owners have flood insurance. Even when required by lenders because people live in flood plains, this event went way outside of flood plains. So the majority of the people out there are on their own most likely. For those that do have coverage ( this coverge would be through NFIP which is managed by FEMA), the government will probably need to use tax money to bail them out since they are already $25 billion in debt...

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Having done fire/flood/storm damage I have good solid ideas what the cost to homeowners will be on about any structure but the pressing concern nationwide is what damage was done to ports and refineries and pipelines. Winter is coming.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This is what the people like "LOLevacuate" don't understand. The floods affect a population of 6-7million. Not every last house was affected, but every area had issues. So what happens when you put 6+ million people on a freeway out of town pronto? ~100 people died, and that is when the storm MISSED the area and not a drop of rain fell.

So you suggest we do this to the freeways with an evac, which lasted more than a day:
View attachment 152310

And then THIS happens in <12 hours:
View attachment 152311

If your plan was to maximize casualties, then you win the game.

Don't build freeways under water duh

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I was reading that only 20% of home owners have flood insurance. Even when required by lenders because people live in flood plains, this event went way outside of flood plains. So the majority of the people out there are on their own most likely. For those that do have coverage ( this coverge would be through NFIP which is managed by FEMA), the government will probably need to use tax money to bail them out since they are already $25 billion in debt...

Going to assume most people don't have flood insurance for 4+ feet of rain in a day and a half. My uncle lives below Houston on the coast and he's just fine the storm didn't do anything to them wind wise or rain wise.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>

Sorry nothing left.

Hey look ma, I'm on TEEVEE. Did this air on the news? I gotta record it.

Where you going to go? Storm impacted 1/3 of the state by population. During Katrina the motels/hotels of Baton Rouge, Houston, Jackson, MS, Little Rock, Ar, and a good part of Atlanta were full. You can't stick a population the size of Houston and the population along the gulf between Houston and Corpus in hotels in Dallas. And New Orleans is a drop in the bucket compared to Houston and it's suburbs and the gulf coast towards Corpus.

Well, they don't need to evacuate all of houston and it's suburbs. I'm hearing that they're doing limited evacuations based on the elevation of your area inside Houston. Some people are being told they can stay, but they'll be trapped for a week (unless they have a boat of course).

There's no general evac of conroe. I have people who live there. Some houses on the lake are flooding and some of the new developments in low lying areas are too. But the town as a whole and all the cities around the lake aren't being evacuated. They are mostly unscathed.

Are those not designed to be flood spillways in certain cities to direct flood waters?

I have heard this about Houston, but I've never seen anything official to back the claim up.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

You thought insurance companies might actually pay for damages with all those premiums they collect from everyone for years and years? Hah!

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You thought insurance companies might actually pay for damages with all those premiums they collect from everyone for years and years? Hah!
I made one fucking claim. We were on vacation, we came back and our kit hen floors were fucked because of a water leak under the sink. They paid out 4 grand, had a company come out with drying equipment for a week. Then they canceled us.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I made one fucking claim. We were on vacation, we came back and our kit hen floors were fucked because of a water leak under the sink. They paid out 4 grand, had a company come out with drying equipment for a week. Then they canceled us.

Yea interestingly my policy has a 'no cancel due to claims clause'. I'm sure that doesn't stop them from charging 1K/mo, but whatever I guess.

• 1Like

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
The storm is on the move out of the area, though it is dumping a bunch of rain in certain places as a final fuck you. As Olebass points out, there's a bunch of secondary effects also in play.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

Yup, all insurance types are just one giant shitty scam (especially the ones mandated by law, but also things like mandatory renters insurance etc.). "Thanks for contributing to our billions of profit every year, if you actually require your payout your rates will triple until we make back what we had to spend on you and then some!"

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Hey look ma, I'm on TEEVEE. Did this air on the news? I gotta record it.

lol... these looters are in deep shit if they get caught. IIRC, the penalty for looting during a disaster in Texas is 5 years to LIFE.

• 1Like