Weather

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
The last time they evacuated Houston, people were stuck on highways without moving for 30 hours. Not minutes, hours. Our infrastructure is not designed to move 7 million people at one time.

Again, the behavior of Harvey was unpredictable. It has NEVER happened before.

I remember during Ike, my stepsister and her husband evacuated Galveston and drove to my folks in Brenham. Took them 24 hours for a drive that normally takes 3ish along 290. Most gas stations were completed sold out of fuel, and luckily they made it, but talk about a trek.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So does this mean all the Katrina Squatters in Houston will get evacuated to another state now?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They set up the Dallas convention center as a temporary refuge. Not thrilled about that development.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Where you going to go? Storm impacted 1/3 of the state by population. During Katrina the motels/hotels of Baton Rouge, Houston, Jackson, MS, Little Rock, Ar, and a good part of Atlanta were full. You can't stick a population the size of Houston and the population along the gulf between Houston and Corpus in hotels in Dallas. And New Orleans is a drop in the bucket compared to Houston and it's suburbs and the gulf coast towards Corpus.

This is what the people like "LOLevacuate" don't understand. The floods affect a population of 6-7million. Not every last house was affected, but every area had issues. So what happens when you put 6+ million people on a freeway out of town pronto? ~100 people died, and that is when the storm MISSED the area and not a drop of rain fell.

So you suggest we do this to the freeways with an evac, which lasted more than a day:
rita evac.jpg

And then THIS happens in <12 hours:
harvey flood.jpg

If your plan was to maximize casualties, then you win the game.

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I imagine 45, East TX freeway (59), and 10 in both directions are/were a parking lot even with contra flow. Moving that many people quickly just isn't going to happen.

Pre Katrina I left Baton Rouge to stay at my grandmothers in East, TX. Always amazed me that people act like the only way to travel is by interstate. When I left I went backroads and it took me about 5 hours, about 30 minutes longer than normal. On the radio were people saying they couldn't get anywhere sitting in traffic. I would say most people don't have a map, but maps now are obselete with smart phones. I went a 4 lane highway most of the way and crossed under I-55 and I talked to the state tropper there. I-55 was in contra flow and he said he had no idea why anyone would get on it. The 4 lane highway I was on was almsot totally empty.

Some friends who lived in New Orleans left to go to friends in Houston. They finally gave up and stayed at another friends house south of Baton Rouge. It toko them 9 hours to get there from New Orleans, a trip that normally would be less than an hour.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Damn, that's crazy. I imagine that entire freeway in the above picture will likely be worthless after the rain is gone?

• 1Like

Borzak

Imagine how bad rush hour traffic is, now multiply that by all the people who don't work, don't work the hours of rush hour, all the people who don't drive much, all the people who are at work during rush hour. It adds up quickly.

• 1Like

Borzak

Saw they were calling for evac of Conroe now and opening the gates to Lake Conroe which means anyone below Lake Conroe is going to get more water, Spring and The Woodlands. Saw Dayton got it pretty bad, used to live there for a short time. They're right on the Trinity, so I assume that means Liberty (across the river) got it bad and Baytown which is below them right on the bay.

Cajun Navy arrives in Houston to help rescue flood victims; another wave heads out

DIQnhV-VoAAKTcZ.jpg:large

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Holy shit...

Edit: Ants are pretty fucking cool though. Making a giant ant raft to save the colony.

• 1Like