Weather

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Negative temperatures and heavy snowfall in my texas? Get ready for carmageddon. Probably wont be as bad as that week we had a few inches of cobblestone ice on every road, I had to dodge a spinning car literally every mile that week.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Upstate NY here. Highs in the 20s, lows in the single digits, both positive and negative. Honestly nothing out of the ordinary lately. The storm last week ended up dropping maybe 6" here, but things were actually worse to the south.
Yeah we got over 12" here on LI.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It gets said a lot but its so true. It aint the cold its the fucking wind. I do most winter days in a hoodie and a t-shirt underneath. 20 degrees in a hoodie is nice. Add some wind though and fuck it gets cold fast. I used to love wearing these heavy wool Irish aran turtle neck sweaters cause they are warm as can be, but the wind cuts right through the knitting on the fuckers like tiny little needles of icy pain.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It gets said a lot but its so true. It aint the cold its the fucking wind. I do most winter days in a hoodie and a t-shirt underneath. 20 degrees in a hoodie is nice. Add some wind though and fuck it gets cold fast. I used to love wearing these heavy wool Irish aran turtle neck sweaters cause they are warm as can be, but the wind cuts right through the knitting on the fuckers like tiny little needles of icy pain.

Used to drive around the Adirondacks and over to Vermont all night long for a living. The first time I got out of my truck during a windy night on Killington taught me to dress appropriately. Nearly froze my balls off in the minute it took me to get inside.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Want to know the oddest thing about cold weather. 20 years ago I was out on the Gila in New Mexico elk hunting. Had a gallon of water in my toolbox I had picked up at the store to have "just in case". It was down in the low 20's the entire time I was out there. The water never froze lol. Yeah I'll pass on that water from now on. I kept it in my truck for a year just to see but the plastic finally fell apart.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The icening is already knocking out power across 5+ states in the east, thought it would reach my area later but couldn't even go shopping this morning. Pretty glaze, but only idiots are driving around today.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Want to know the oddest thing about cold weather. 20 years ago I was out on the Gila in New Mexico elk hunting. Had a gallon of water in my toolbox I had picked up at the store to have "just in case". It was down in the low 20's the entire time I was out there. The water never froze lol. Yeah I'll pass on that water from now on. I kept it in my truck for a year just to see but the plastic finally fell apart.

Super pure water won't turn solid because it lacks a nucleation site. You could have poured it out and witnessed a popular high school science fair project.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Temperature ticked down 1 degree and that was enough, freezing rain is now snow/sleet and all the puddles are still and iced over completely now. See if we keep power overnight.

joz123

Potato del Grande
45mph winds and thunder storm warnings constantly. Fuck this desert.

Last edited:

Borzak

Super pure water won't turn solid because it lacks a nucleation site. You could have poured it out and witnessed a popular high school science fair project.

I wouldn't think it was that pure. Ozarka water and it comes out Dallas public water.

Borzak

The hits just keep coming. Forecast of a low of 10 and a high of 22. 100% chance of heavy rain, wut?

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how many people have water in their cars for windshield wiper fluid. Might be some lessons learned in the south.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Part of me is looking at the weather the South is getting and thinking "Yeah, motherfuckers, that shit isn't much fun, is it?"

Part of me is looking at having zero degrees and -15 to -20 windchill, and thinking that the Upper Midwest and central Canada need to take their fucking cold ass, 'Fargo' weather back.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Part of me is looking at the weather the South is getting and thinking "Yeah, motherfuckers, that shit isn't much fun, is it?"
Not really concerned about the cold weather. Concerned the forecast is till calling for "heavy rain" at single digit temps. Someone needs to fix their model or something.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Bought my wife fancy cookies for valentines day. They are sitting in Salt Lake because of the fucking weather.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Concerned the forecast is till calling for "heavy rain" at single digit temps. Someone needs to fix their model or something.

It might be accurate. That's the kind of weather we get up here occasionally. A cold front will come down, we'll be below freezing at the ground, but a warmer layer of air will drop rain when it hits the cold front and then we end up with a thick layer of fucking ice. It's still technically rain unless it freezes before it hits the ground. I think the worst I remember personally was like a full 1" of rain just freezing instantly, and I think we've had 1-1/2" before.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, and I get what you're saying. I'm hoping for everyone's sake that the rain isn't as heavy as it could be, and that things don't line up too badly and people get lucky.

I think a compounding issue might be all the moisture and warmth from the Gulf. People down your way could possibly get an icestorm to end all icestorms. Hopefully not, though...they're pretty fickle.

1613318076771.png

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not really concerned about the cold weather. Concerned the forecast is till calling for "heavy rain" at single digit temps. Someone needs to fix their model or something.
This shit is crazy but happens. Some times its 38 degrees and we get snow. Yesterday it was 20 degrees and we got rain that turned instantly to ice on everything it landed on. Odd.

• 1Like

Borzak

Okay it's serious now. They cancelled day 4 of the start of the season baseball games at LSU. Lol. I want to see baseball in an ice storm.

• 1Like

Fierlen

Trakanon Raider

Part of me is looking at having zero degrees and -15 to -20 windchill, and thinking that the Upper Midwest and central Canada need to take their fucking cold ass, 'Fargo' weather back.

-20 windchill is downright balmy. We were fortunate enough to have -60 windchill a few nights last week.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like