Mr. Poopybutthole
Here's a good time lapse of the storm surge taking out a building

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Still no power and no real ETR. They said most of the county will have power back by 11:59 PM Sunday. Which is kind of a horseshit let's throw out something response. Meanwhile nothing updates on the outage map.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sad, Fort Myers Beach has been a summer vacation spot that's been a family tradition for 20+ years. Started when I was in my early teens with my family and continued on as our family grew. Our hotel we always stayed at was about a mile or two south of the pier. We would always take the kids to get ice cream at Kilwins (circled in red). Now it's gone. View attachment 435645

Interestingly enough, just south of the photo of the pier is a Margaritaville that was being built (underlined in red) and the other big building is the Lani Kai resort which is the one that had the time lapse video from 6ft above Estero Blvd.
View attachment 435646

Fort Myers Beach was nice because it wasn't commercialized and was full on smaller businesses. Let's see how they rebuild.

Also, I feel for you guys going through it now. I survived Andrew and we didn't get our power back for 3 months because my parents lived in the middle of no where.
Redlands?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yup, it was nothing but farm fields and Florida pineland back then. Now days it's more developed with a lot more housing and all types of nursery's taking over.
I worked with someone a while back who lived out there back then. They were without power for so long he said it felt like being in another century. Oh, and that every single person had signs up saying looters would be shot on sight.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
I worked with someone a while back who lived out there back then. They were without power for so long he said it felt like being in another century. Oh, and that every single person had signs up saying looters would be shot on sight.

Lol yes, he wasn't lying. They had to replace miles upon miles of lines and poles. I was a kid when it hit but I remember certain thing like it was yesterday. Like the sound of machine gun fire or popcorn during the storm because rocks from the fields were getting launched at the house, being ushered into different parts of the house to avoid wind directions, the eerie calmness of the eye then my parents saying it's not over yet, that odd smell of wet drywall, wood, and insulation after a few days.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sad, Fort Myers Beach has been a summer vacation spot that's been a family tradition for 20+ years. Started when I was in my early teens with my family and continued on as our family grew. Our hotel we always stayed at was about a mile or two south of the pier. We would always take the kids to get ice cream at Kilwins (circled in red). Now it's gone. View attachment 435645

Interestingly enough, just south of the photo of the pier is a Margaritaville that was being built (underlined in red) and the other big building is the Lani Kai resort which is the one that had the time lapse video from 6ft above Estero Blvd.
View attachment 435646

Fort Myers Beach was nice because it wasn't commercialized and was full on smaller businesses. Let's see how they rebuild.

Also, I feel for you guys going through it now. I survived Andrew and we didn't get our power back for 3 months because my parents lived in the middle of no where.
are there some homes in the mix or was it a purely business district?

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Still no power. All the residential in my area is with out power. Few thousand people and all the commercial places have power.

• 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Dude that’s the thing we didn’t even get hit hard. We lost power before the storm even fully got to our area. I’m in Altamonte Springs. But a slight breeze and my section of the grid goes down. Fucking thing sucks.
Go to the AMC near the mall. Spent at least 10 hrs watching movies in ac when I was there. They are on the same grid as the hospital as well. If for some reason it's down they have mad generators to run.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gator

Molten Core Raider
are there some homes in the mix or was it a purely business district?
There were a lot of homes on the island. Northern part of the island (where the pier was) was mainly business, think of it as the tourist trap area. As you traveled south along Estero Blvd you had hotels, condos, and homes along the gulf (west side). The east side of the Blvd had all the houses which were situated behind businesses.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Powers back but had to go a full 2 1/2 days without power can you imagine the horror it must be how poors feel before they get their government check and ask for their power to be "cut back on"..

Actually the cleanup and recovery of everything has been pretty quick overall. I am sure areas a bit further south are fucked for a while. Fort Myers and Sanibel island are right ass fucked for some time, but in general Sarasota, St. Pete, Tampa all seem to be relatively unscathed by comparison.

One thing I already knew but it's a stark reminder is seeing how cleaned out the grocery stores and gas stations are, dipshits decent upon these places like locust after the fact because they are retarded. All it takes is 2-3 days for these places to be emptied out. America is run so much on just in time shipping that we would be fucking crippled and at each others throats if someone ever severed the highways, truckers actually went on strike for even a week or how quickly so many turbo tards without even some basic food in a pantry would starve.

• 3Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They always show these things that limit it to the first 3-5 blocks closest to the ocean. I always wonder how those a few blocks further inland faired. My guess is much better but it isn't as impactful so they ignore it.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Still no power. All the residential in my area is with out power. Few thousand people and all the commercial places have power.
Those non-commercial with power most likely are on the same grid with hospitals/police/fire and grocery stores. Those are the prioroties for power restoral. Also the areas where they just need to reset a fuse. If you need a transformer replaced, the wait is gonna suck. Covid supply chain fuckery is gonna make transformer replacements a shitshow. Hope they are trucking in spares from other power companies' existing storage.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Those non-commercial with power most likely are on the same grid with hospitals/police/fire and grocery stores. Those are the prioroties for power restoral. Also the areas where they just need to reset a fuse. If you need a transformer replaced, the wait is gonna suck. Covid supply chain fuckery is gonna make transformer replacements a shitshow. Hope they are trucking in spares from other power companies' existing storage.
Meh. Every utility has supply, just the replacement supply is 2-3 years backordered.
So getting what is needed now shouldn't be much an issue other than the trucking time as all the local power companies get things in motion.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Meh. Every utility has supply, just the replacement supply is 2-3 years backordered.
So getting what is needed now shouldn't be much an issue other than the trucking time as all the local power companies get things in motion.
I just spoke to a friend who subs for Duke. His exact words are Duke only has about 2k poles (of various height and class) in the entire state. Poles are even in more of a backlog issue than transformers right now.

They can bring in all the contract lineman in the country but without poles and transformers for them to place the recovery is gonna be painfully slow.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U
I bet you'd be surprised. We ran ours off our van shit (200W panels, 100AH lithium battery, 1000W inverter) after the 2019 earthquake. Fridges don't use much power anymore. You need a surge on the inverter big enough for when it kicks on, but otherwise the actual power draw is pretty low.

Now granted, that setup cost probably somewhere around $1500 and that was 2018. But still.
I bought a 3.2 cubic foot mini fridge earlier this year and it even has a mini freezer in it.
I put it on a power monitor because I didn't believe the claims of .8 amp max average 35 watts.
Sure enough, the second the compressor kicks on it jumps to 75-150watts for 2 seconds and back down to 35 watts.
On average it pulls 13 watts and freezes soda at mid setting.
Crazy how efficient they have become.
I got another thermofridge that pulls 40 watts and only big enough to hold 2 2liters but the nice feature about it is it has 2 plugs. Normal 115v and also 12v. Bad thing is it only effectively cools 25 below ambient so if it is 60 then 35 but if it is 90 only to about 65 which would spoil stuff.
I keep that one in the trunk of the car wired up since it has a toggle switch.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I just spoke to a friend who subs for Duke. His exact words are Duke only has about 2k poles (of various height and class) in the entire state. Poles are even in more of a backlog issue than transformers right now.

They can bring in all the contract lineman in the country but without poles and transformers for them to place the recovery is gonna be painfully slow.
That was my point though. They won't just be sending linemen, they'll send what poles, transformers, wire, strapping and so on they can spare.
I have little doubt that we'll run dry but add in another few hurricanes and some winter ice storms and we could be in serious trouble.

Been 3 days now since I was able to get ahold of my parents in Ormond and prior to it hitting there.
If I don't hear from them by Monday I am going to pawn a few cats for gas money and head down.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Go to the AMC near the mall. Spent at least 10 hrs watching movies in ac when I was there. They are on the same grid as the hospital as well. If for some reason it's down they have mad generators to run.
Thinking about doing this as they are nearly across the street and all have had power for days. Same with all the other commercial properties. Still no power for the thousand of residents across the roads.

We were down for a week last time for a fix that took them 30 minutes. They have not even looked at our area yet.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I know the last time I was there they played all the Marvel movies in order at the time. I think it was 5? It was the best thing to do. This is exactly the reason why I won't move back to Florida. The random every 3-5 years of no power for a week. Funny enough though I might get deployed with my company for cat duty there. It'd be nice to see the area and how much it's changed in 5 years and see my friends. Sweating my balls off with mosquitos not so much.

• 2Like