Weather

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Parish president today said that 76% of the 138,000 houses in the parish that Sorce lives in are a total write off.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Parish president today said that 76% of the 138,000 houses in the parish that Sorce lives in are a total write off.

That's crazy and yet hardly anything in North Louisiana.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Media reporting this as typical LA flood and such just like Katrina why didn't they move. These places didn't flood in Katria. Not many places I can think of that will not flood if they get 2-1/2 feet of rain in 36 hours. New Orelans (closer to the coast) is better off than Baton Rouge. It's really odd, just rain.

• 1Solidarity

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well where I live south of new orleans is outside of the flood area and like most in baton rouge, I have never carried flood insurance in the 7 years I have lived here. With the previous flooding and this one, my wife talked me into getting flood insurance which will cost me only 349 a year. 30 day wait period before it takes effect. I told my wife if we flood in that time period, it's her fault for making me get the insurance...

• 1Solidarity

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Houston has been getting rained on since Sunday, but the flood control plains, bayous, and rivers have been able to keep up.

• 1Solidarity

Sorce

Molten Core Raider
Well, considering the Amite river rose up to the entrance to my subdivision, dumped water and joined together with our lake my street was not affected like most of mine and the surrounding parishes. Honestly, no one really understands why the water drained out of here so fast. We had water to our yards, and the lake pushed water halfway into my backyard but once the river crested it changed the flow and we aren't sure where it went, but it sucked it right out of our neighborhood. Within the span of two hours we went from rising water in our yards to seeing dry spots on our street.

Some areas were hit harder than ours, Denham Springs being one of them, with 90% of their town being under water. Everyone is so distraught because no one has flood insurance, but then we heard from our Gov. that Obama declared it a State of Emergency. It was at least some relief that the unfortunate ones will have someone to turn to. However, Obama did not declare it for Ascension parish and no one knows why yet. Even today I am being told he still has not done it. My sources on that aren't official but there are some people that are seriously worried. As mentioned above, how this hasn't gotten any national attention is beyond me.

Also, FEMA is telling people that if they make over a certain amount they will not qualify for assistance, regardless if it's a State of Emergency. I have some friends that lost their homes and all that's in it, along with their vehicles and since they work for a living they may not receive any help from our Government. Unbelievable. Hopefully, that will change and people will be able to rebuild and get back to a normal life.

• 1Solidarity

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Only a slight bit of rant here. I've been hearing from people..oh no flooding in areas = evidence of global warming/climate change.

I'm up here around the chicago area and had to explain to a friend of mine that the great lakes are basically left over from the last glacial melt.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/pr/ourlakes/background.html - The Laurentian Great Lakes were formed nearly 20,000 years ago when the earth's climate warmed and the last glacial continental ice sheet retreated. The glacier, up to 2 miles thick, was so heavy and powerful it gouged out the earth's surface to create the lake basins. Meltwater from the retreating glacier filled the newly created basins. Approximately 3,500-4,000 years ago, the Great Lakes attained their modern levels and area.

Laurentide Ice Sheet | ice sheet, North America - Ice Sheet

I was like..think about this. We are downtown Chicago eating a hotdog at lunch. Just think about this. 1-2 miles of ice...straight vertical.

Just think of how much warming had to happen for 1-2 miles of vertical ice to melt and for us to be standing here at literally ground level having a discussion. It completely blew his mind. So I pressed on and was like..what do you think caused those kinds of levels of warming (since warming obviously means ice melts because it's not as cold) and he said..well the sun is the only real answer.

Yup, the sun. It's what causes the cycles and lots of other stuff. The sun has been having a LOT of sunspots lately and a lot of CMEs (Coronal Mass Ejections.) It's like people don't think or just think of their lifespan. 20k years in the life of this planet is like nothing, but since our lifespan is so short by comparison. "An Inconvenient Truth" seems like prophecy.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Livingston parish is already suing the state and feds over the I-12 issue. They built a 6 foot wall on the north side of I-12 during construction of the lane widening that I think was temporary and it held the water back. They couldn't beleive it never collapsed. Same issue with the 1983 flood that everyone compares it to. When I-12 was built they effectively put up a giant barrier making everything north of it flood much worse. That's what happened in 1983 and it didn't help this time either. 30 years later, same shit, same story.

I think the lawsuits from 1983 jsut got cleared up and cleared just 2 years ago or something similar.

My sister was about 2-4" from having water in her house they moved into a few months ago. My niece just moved in wither my sister and had put all her stuff in storage except her clothes and such. She lost all that in the storage unit, furniture and personal stuff like pictures and all that. They were lucky nobody lost a car.

Don't buy a used car in the next 6 months anywhere without getting a real clear title to it. They're gonna ship a shitload of them to other parts of the country.

Seeing lots of ads looking for people to do demo work and haul. Already pulling out the drywall and insulation. They're gonna import a crapload of mexicans I assume :(

• 1Solidarity

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
Only a slight bit of rant here. I've been hearing from people..oh no flooding in areas = evidence of global warming/climate change.

I'm up here around the chicago area and had to explain to a friend of mine that the great lakes are basically left over from the last glacial melt.

About Our Great Lakes -Background- NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Lab (GLERL) - The Laurentian Great Lakes were formed nearly 20,000 years ago when the earth's climate warmed and the last glacial continental ice sheet retreated. The glacier, up to 2 miles thick, was so heavy and powerful it gouged out the earth's surface to create the lake basins. Meltwater from the retreating glacier filled the newly created basins. Approximately 3,500-4,000 years ago, the Great Lakes attained their modern levels and area.

Laurentide Ice Sheet | ice sheet, North America - Ice Sheet

I was like..think about this. We are downtown Chicago eating a hotdog at lunch. Just think about this. 1-2 miles of ice...straight vertical.

Just think of how much warming had to happen for 1-2 miles of vertical ice to melt and for us to be standing here at literally ground level having a discussion. It completely blew his mind. So I pressed on and was like..what do you think caused those kinds of levels of warming (since warming obviously means ice melts because it's not as cold) and he said..well the sun is the only real answer.

Yup, the sun. It's what causes the cycles and lots of other stuff. The sun has been having a LOT of sunspots lately and a lot of CMEs (Coronal Mass Ejections.) It's like people don't think or just think of their lifespan. 20k years in the life of this planet is like nothing, but since our lifespan is so short by comparison. "An Inconvenient Truth" seems like prophecy.

Actually it was carbon. Great fucking try though.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Actually it was carbon. Great fucking try though.
Thanks I appreciate it:

The retreat chronology of the Laurentide Ice Sheet during the last 10,000 years and implications for deglacial sea-level rise

By 8,000 years ago, the Laurentide Ice Sheet was a fraction of its original size, confined mostly to modern day Quebec and Labrador, a size and latitude broadly similar to that of the modern Greenland Ice Sheet. Due to differences in Earth's orbit 8,000 years ago, the amount of solar energy reaching the northern hemisphere was significantly greater than today, while the level of greenhouse gases were nearly equivalent to preindustrial conditions.

I'll drive my SUV an extra mile today.

• 1Solidarity

Sorce

Molten Core Raider
Borzak, I was going to ask if your sister was doing, glad to hear they didn't get any water in their house. Sorry to hear about the other stuff, it's always hard to lose what you take for granite, especially pictures and the like. I'm still debating on whether I should get flood insurance as the chances of this happening again seem to be fairly minuscule. Has she mentioned the overturned 18-wheeler right here on highway 42? Not sure if it was intentional to divert some water (highly doubtful) or some knucklehead tried to drive through and veered into the ditch. It's still laying there right before you get to Sonic.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

People are quick to jump on power company workers. My ex-next door neighbor is the CEO of Demco and Demco is just down the street from my sister and they still don't have power. I know he used to work a lot of long ass shifts when weather happened. To get off topic he's an immigrant from Serbia and got an EE degree and worked his way up and has been there since follege 40 years ago. Cool guy, likes guns and restored an original AMX car while raising a daughter that was born early, used to be called a water baby but that's not PC anymore. Now that I think of it pretty sure his house is under 15 feet of water close to the Comite River now.

Where I lived for a short while off Highland is now totally under water. Pretty sure flood insurance wasn't required there and not exactly the cheapest houses either between Lee and Kennilworth. My neighbor used to be Charlie Mac's wife (Charlie McClendon's wife). Interesting area.

Body count now at 12, lady found in a house in Denham Springs today.

Haven't heard anything about the semi turned over. Last time I was in your part of the world was to stop at the place that has teardrops for sale/rent. Sad deal. My sisters house and one other are the only two on their road that didn't flood, both new houses. The can walk to their house and have gone their to check their stuff and leave, as mentioned they have no power and are right behind Demco that doesn't have power (other than backup) either.

They said tonight it could be 3-4 months before Livingston Parish starts school again since 15 schools got wiped out. They sure can't go to St. Helena Parish next door since the state had pulled students out of St. Helena Parish and made them to go to Livingston at one point because the school system there sucked (poorest parish in the state and majority black).

Ascension Parish schools are closed indefintely.

WAoBIRW.jpg

High water vehicle trying to get people out was washed over the road.

untitled-article-1471439956-body-image-1471442087.jpg

Same type of vehicle before it got washed out.

untitled-article-1471439956-body-image-1471441926.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Borzak

I know LA isn't the greatest place to live, but if you need help you will get help from anyone. Seen lots of pics of people coming out in boats with people who just drove by and saw someone needed out. Lots of pics of blacks helping whites and whites helping blacks get into boats and such, no time for that black panther shit. See my post in the Mike Brown thread. Even the shit stirrer that shot the cops wasn't even from BR. Just venting, pissing me off.

At the expo center at one of the hardest hit areas there's been a constant stream of jambalaya cookers. Yes LOTS of people here have giant cast iron pots and cook jambalaya for 30+ people at a time and dozens or more have showed up with their gear to cook.

Infant only care isle. I used to say "No matter what, coon asses are going to have a good time", not now tho.

On the New Orleans news (I get that in MS, which is odd and not BR) a guy came out of his hosue with water up to his chest and got into a boat. He looked at the TV reporter/cameraman and held up a package, "I got my tickets to the LSU game at Lambeau field yesterday in the mail, good to go". Not gonna lie, got a little dustry in here.

57b4eb8408b6f.image.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
Thanks I appreciate it:

[URL='http://serc.carleton.edu/vignettes/collection/58451.html']The retreat chronology of the Laurentide Ice Sheet during the last 10,000 years and implications for deglacial sea-level rise
By 8,000 years ago, the Laurentide Ice Sheet was a fraction of its original size, confined mostly to modern day Quebec and Labrador, a size and latitude broadly similar to that of the modern Greenland Ice Sheet. Due to differences in Earth's orbit 8,000 years ago, the amount of solar energy reaching the northern hemisphere was significantly greater than today, while the level of greenhouse gases were nearly equivalent to preindustrial conditions.

I'll drive my SUV an extra mile today.

http://phys.org/news/2015-08-ice-age-greenhouse-gas-factor.html
"The single leading global factor that did explain the global retreat of glaciers was rising carbon dioxide levels in the air."

"Our study really removes any doubt as to the leading cause of the decline of the glaciers by 11,000 years ago - it was the rising levels of carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere," said Shakun.

Carbon dioxide levels rose from approximately 180 parts per million to 280 parts per million at the end of the last Ice Age, which spanned nearly 7,000 years. Following more than a century of industrialization, carbon dioxide levels have now risen to approximately 400 parts per million.

[/URL]
Also ‘Firenadoes’ are striking east of Los Angeles
636071058511374677-AFP-553177594.jpg

636070728074086303-GTY-591632046.jpg

Last edited:

Borzak

Anyone needing a job and can do manual labor I am seeing LOTS of ads for sheetrock demo work. Paying $3-$6 per square foot. A small bedroom has about 400 square feet so it adds up quick.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

1 day total for one. Just the worst day of the storm. Doesn't include the next day where they got another 10 inches in the same spot. It literally just rained in Baton Rouge. Below Lafeyette not a lot there.

Figure-1.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

I haven't heard, but I thought he lived in New Orleans which I assume got some localized flooding but nothing like north of them. Of course the flood crest is moving south but most of the water in the flood flowed into lake maurepas and then into lake pontchartrain and out into the gulf.

• 1Solidarity