Web Serials

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Caught up to current on it, which is the end of volume 1. All around excellent, but the author definitely likes writing tragedy. Most of the volume is the crew getting shit on and their only metric of success being “not dieing”, and then when they finally are coming up on a win the pov is switched to their enemies so that even when the protagonists win you still gear to read more losing.
Yeah I binged on it and I'm current now too. Absolutely great.

My opinions:
The Pyre Witch and Maxine Clive were proven to be totally correct. The Parliament was mind controlled/nudged/hijacked the whole time and their democracy was a complete lie. They absolutely had a point. The one fatal flaw was allying with Shenten for resources. That part I get sure but Annabelle siding with Paragon/Brin/etc on this issue doesn't seem really sensical.

The Paragon and magical society of the Principality is poised to move into open and complete control of the State. 80% of students at Paragon are dead and so is all of Parliament. The plot thread of someone/something controlling them is interesting. Annabelle is impersonating the Pyre Witch for the time being butI don't really get why she was against her in the first place. If anything Queen Sulphur, outside of Nell, should have been at least understanding of the Common Place. Hira only being against them because she hated her father.

How does Annabelle ever get accepted by Paragon at this point? It won't happen and she has zero reason to even remotely believe any of them other than Nell.

Everyone at Paragon is still a bunch of complete assholes tho. In a Victorian upper class kind of way. With 80% dead and also a number of senior Guardians dead how will they up their numbers?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah I binged on it and I'm current now too. Absolutely great.

My opinions:
The Pyre Witch and Maxine Clive were proven to be totally correct. The Parliament was mind controlled/nudged/hijacked the whole time and their democracy was a complete lie. They absolutely had a point. The one fatal flaw was allying with Shenten for resources. That part I get sure but Annabelle siding with Paragon/Brin/etc on this issue doesn't seem really sensical.

The Paragon and magical society of the Principality is poised to move into open and complete control of the State. 80% of students at Paragon are dead and so is all of Parliament. The plot thread of someone/something controlling them is interesting. Annabelle is impersonating the Pyre Witch for the time being butI don't really get why she was against her in the first place. If anything Queen Sulphur, outside of Nell, should have been at least understanding of the Common Place. Hira only being against them because she hated her father.

How does Annabelle ever get accepted by Paragon at this point? It won't happen and she has zero reason to even remotely believe any of them other than Nell.

Everyone at Paragon is still a bunch of complete assholes tho. In a Victorian upper class kind of way. With 80% dead and also a number of senior Guardians dead how will they up their numbers?

Yeah Clive and Grace were both right in their corruption, but Ana didn’t have the complete picture until the very end where it was basically either let Grace kill her or kill Grace. I don’t think she is still aligned with Paragon, she won’t be trying to get back in. Ana not siding with Grace/Clive makes sense to me, even if she is now aware of all of the corruption there’s no way she accepts their methods that kill tons of innocent people.

Also, I don’t think she trusts them anymore. She doesn’t really know who has what information and how involved they were in all of this. I think the next arc involves rescuing Jun and then then trying to unravel the corruption and who is controlling Paragon from the shadows, all while Shenten is back on the rise after the leader dude re-emerges. And Nell will start to see more and more at paragon that she won’t accept. At some point she will realize Ana is still alive and I’m sure they will link back up for the paragon corruption arc

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pith is continuing... One (or two) painfully slow weeks at a time.

velk

Trakanon Raider
New stories:

Dragon Hack - by the Threadbare guy, this is set in the same world (sort of?) but prior to the cataclysm and the sundering of Cylvania. Generica is (mostly) just a game at this point, and it's about the original bunch of real world players as much as the game world. It entirely lacks the humorous whimsy of Threadbare, it's a more serious story set in a future USA where the country has broken up into different factions, with the main character being a member of an ultra-religious one.

Overall pretty good, with the added benefit of having actual pacing and being finished. Adds a lot of lore and backstory for Threadbare and Small Medium.

Pith - the Victorian age version of Altered Carbon ;p
This was fantastic, highly recommend. Not what you'd call an uplifting, heart-warming story though ! This is the one where the plucky band of misfits gets together with a plan that has no chance of working in the real world, and it doesn't work here either. A story about just how far grit, determination and hard work won't take you.

I disagree with prior posts though, my pick for most fucked up character is definitely Nell's mother.

I was actually a little relieved to find the posting pace was due to catching up with an existing backlog, that was a truly insane amount of output ;p

Salvos - litrpg, baby demon levels up and evolves, after getting accidentally summoned to the material plane, decides to become an adventurer. This has a certain charm, but not much in the way of originality, it's pretty much constructed entirely out of anime tropes.

Random updates on other stuff :

Dungeon Crawler Carl - I am sort of losing interest in this one, not sure why.

Forge of Destiny - this is tending to blend together into sameness lately.

HwFwM - killing off a bunch of side characters focused the story considerably, I like the current pace better now.

Ar'Kendrythist - this continues to be great value and one of my favorites. Eric is a shitty holiday planner though, don't trust him with your vacation ;p Those sentient trees are a surprisingly bloodthirsty lot too it seems.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Pith - the Victorian age version of Altered Carbon ;p
This was fantastic, highly recommend. Not what you'd call an uplifting, heart-warming story though ! This is the one where the plucky band of misfits gets together with a plan that has no chance of working in the real world, and it doesn't work here either. A story about just how far grit, determination and hard work won't take you.

I disagree with prior posts though, my pick for most fucked up character is definitely Nell's mother.

I was actually a little relieved to find the posting pace was due to catching up with an existing backlog, that was a truly insane amount of output ;p
I originally thought this was Victorian age too... or Steampunk or something. But they have ICBM missiles, cars, airships, tanks and modern weaponry like automatic pistols and stuff.

I kind of assume they have around World War 1 level technology but with a *. As there's no mention of cell phones or computers.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Random updates on other stuff :

Dungeon Crawler Carl - I am sort of losing interest in this one, not sure why.

Forge of Destiny - this is tending to blend together into sameness lately.

HwFwM - killing off a bunch of side characters focused the story considerably, I like the current pace better now.

Ar'Kendrythist - this continues to be great value and one of my favorites. Eric is a shitty holiday planner though, don't trust him with your vacation ;p Those sentient trees are a surprisingly bloodthirsty lot too it seems.
I’ve taken a break from web series for a few weeks now, but I was also losing interest in dungeon crawler Carl. Honestly I think it’s mostly that the levels have sucked since the second.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I’ve taken a break from web series for a few weeks now, but I was also losing interest in dungeon crawler Carl. Honestly I think it’s mostly that the levels have sucked since the second.
I think not enough happens per chapter of Dungeon Crawler Carl given the slow update rate.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Just caught up on Vigor Mortis.

I really like this one.

Um, hard to describe - fantasy world which is made up of a bunch of giant floating islands apparently being levitated by an eldritch abomination called the Mistwatcher, which is worshipped as a god by a lot of people. In extreme straits, a starving street orphan shows an unexpected talent for necromancy, which gets channeled in a direction I was not expecting.

Seems a relatively recent starter, so not a huge amount of backlog to catch up on, with the other hand being it may go to shit or get abandoned or whatever.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I originally thought this was Victorian age too... or Steampunk or something. But they have ICBM missiles, cars, airships, tanks and modern weaponry like automatic pistols and stuff.

I kind of assume they have around World War 1 level technology but with a *. As there's no mention of cell phones or computers.

Surprisingly, Victoria was actually around for most of that. It's a fair point though, WW1/WW2 is closer but the tech base doesn't really have a real world equivalent, given the Edwina massacre was a aircraft carrier group and that was decades before the start of the story. I spose Victorian sprang to mind more as the general feel of the society.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think not enough happens per chapter of Dungeon Crawler Carl given the slow update rate.
Dude needs to just be more clear about what is going on.

The train level and this current level are really hard to imagine. Train was way worse but this one isn't much better lol. The Necropolis will flood if the pump on the submarine is turned off. What? Vaguely I understand what he's going for. Imbalance in one of the other parts of the Earth/Underground/Air/Sand whatever causes the other locale to get fucked up somehow. Because the underground and air place were bonked, the necropolis floods. Okay... whatever.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I kinda liked this one.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

I kinda liked this one.
In terms of cultivation things, I remain partial to the Memories of the Fall, which is a self-conscious effort of "how much can I cram into this".

I'm even more of a fan after the April 1st chapter, which is titled "The Epic Quest for Spicy Soup" (Epic Quest for Mighty Loot is an old - defunct - Ubisoft game that does comedic loot stuff), in which some vaguely unidentified massive powers find themselves with empty cupboard, a guest coming that likes spicy noodle soup, and thus concoct a 10-step plan for soup making (that has the last two steps as "..." and "?Profit?" respectively), and proceed to wreck ancient Venerates (basically the last step before becoming a minor divinity) to harvest their tears (for salt) and karma (for spice), fish into other dimensions, and other complete silliness.

And end up in the capital finding a good soup dinner and making take-out.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
In terms of cultivation things, I remain partial to the Memories of the Fall, which is a self-conscious effort of "how much can I cram into this".

I'm even more of a fan after the April 1st chapter, which is titled "The Epic Quest for Spicy Soup" (Epic Quest for Mighty Loot is an old - defunct - Ubisoft game that does comedic loot stuff), in which some vaguely unidentified massive powers find themselves with empty cupboard, a guest coming that likes spicy noodle soup, and thus concoct a 10-step plan for soup making (that has the last two steps as "..." and "?Profit?" respectively), and proceed to wreck ancient Venerates (basically the last step before becoming a minor divinity) to harvest their tears (for salt) and karma (for spice), fish into other dimensions, and other complete silliness.

And end up in the capital finding a good soup dinner and making take-out.
This one is barely a cultivation series. It is background to the world setting and the MC is seeking it out... but the MC is a delightful idiot who barely comprehends cultivation in the first place. He was gifted with the best cultivation art in the world through a chance encounter and his ability to sense treasure underground.

I mostly like how much of an idiot the MC is. Not just a unintelligent buffoon a wholly uneducated, orphan, mountain dweller who survived on nothing more but his ability to dig up shiny things. Then he decides he wants a wife so he goes on this epic quest to the girl he's crushing on.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I mostly like how much of an idiot the MC is. Not just a unintelligent buffoon a wholly uneducated, orphan, mountain dweller who survived on nothing more but his ability to dig up shiny things. Then he decides he wants a wife so he goes on this epic quest to the girl he's crushing on.
Now... that sounds potentially interesting...

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Magic Smithing continues to deliver but boy oh boy is the author a whiney bitch. I completely ignore anything he posts via patreon that isn't the new chapter. For someone pulling $125k a year to write a few chapters a week he sure does like to complain.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i ignore all the author's comments, i just read their stories.

i absolutely love beware of chicken. it is just cute. Big D is getting himself a harem of cultivator's - Rizzo and Varja (the rat and the Bee-besides his flock of female chickens he is so disappointed in)

velk

Trakanon Raider
New stuff :

Treasure King - a bit rough around the edges writing wise, but was still entertaining in a 'Defiance of the Fall' type way. Technically ongoing, but future uncertain given the recent author notes.

Undermind - Young woman recovering from crippling mountain climbing injuries has a seemingly fatal seizure and finds herself in the most sacred location of an elven village... as a troll. Surprisingly gruesome wacky hijinks ensue.

This seems like an Isekai to start with, and briefly seems to be heading into Litrpg territory but that turns out to be not quite what's going on. This one is quite imaginative with a really unique world. Enjoyed it a lot, completed at 4 'books'. ( Has a teaser for future stuff at end of book 4, but everything is wrapped up nicely in any case ).

Displaced - This is more or less the same premise as The Wandering Inn ( not a litrpg though), although the Earthers, for the most part, end up ludicrously overpowered compared to the locals. This isn't an 'OP man smash!' story though, it's actually closer to an display of how superhuman powers can't solve your problems, and what 'winning' actually means.

I liked this a lot, particularly the computer programmer Blake, and his magitech stuff. It's ongoing but recently finished up the first story arc, which makes a reasonable stopping point.

Beneath the Dragoneye Moons - isekai/litrpg. Basically Mushoku Tensei but with a woman. It's well written with interesting characters though, so worth a look if that's your kind of thing. Also at least now I know where some of the incomprehensible mango memes I ran across were coming from.

Random Updates :

Pith - After I have read the most recent update I am intrigued, but have absolutely no idea where it's going. It's a nice feeling, but the 2 week update is murder.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
new one i picked up and enjoy is Heather the Necromancer...

brief synopsis.

so what do you get when you have a necromancer who likes pretty things,wearing dresses, is triple classed- one of which is a class called Flower Singer(think type of druid), while also being the one class that is banned/forbidden by all the players of the game (not by the game by the PLAYERS)

spelling could use work since while the WORDS are -pretty much- all spelled correctly, errors where words are homophones come into play..
grammar is fine.

new knew, hoard horde, etc