Web Serials

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Doing that at the end of a book that actually has a conclusion is perfectly reasonable IMO.
He's previously stated that he wanted to work on Soulmonger a lot more, which is why he broke off from Generic Apocalypse to write it. But now he's getting back to it.

Macro is very good at writing likeable and enjoyable characters, situations, and plots. I think he learned a ton from writing Wake of the Ravager which he will probably never touch again. If he continues writing actual coherent books then going on to write other ones is a pretty massive leap for a web novelist. He wouldn't be the first to write two concurrent series. Wake of the Ravager was far more web novely than it was a normal novel. Which is why nothing ever ended it just kept on going. Even the story arcs weren't well defined.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I know the hatred for empaths is irrational, just human nature. SOMETHING BAd happens and it was caused by "THAT" type of person

you would be more apt to hate/fear that type of person especially if the MSM keeps focusing in on it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
He's previously stated that he wanted to work on Soulmonger a lot more, which is why he broke off from Generic Apocalypse to write it. But now he's getting back to it.

Macro is very good at writing likeable and enjoyable characters, situations, and plots. I think he learned a ton from writing Wake of the Ravager which he will probably never touch again. If he continues writing actual coherent books then going on to write other ones is a pretty massive leap for a web novelist. He wouldn't be the first to write two concurrent series. Wake of the Ravager was far more web novely than it was a normal novel. Which is why nothing ever ended it just kept on going. Even the story arcs weren't well defined.
Two? He now has 6 series on hiatus. He will never finish any of what he starts.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
Quick shallow look at a bunch from author recommendations because the backlog was getting out of hand :

Seemed ok.

The Engrish is strong with this one. Maybe read later.

The first chapter was pretty funny.

When it says 'Not enough context', it's talking about the readers, not the characters ;p

I wanted to like this.. but I didn't.

So edgy. Maybe later.

Has potential

It's Beware of Chicken, only not good.

Seems ok, maybe later.

I... don't know what I was expecting here. Nope.

This one is good. The MC is a bit of a dickhead, but in a believable way for a 17 year old guy.

This has potential

First chapter was a bit 'eh', but picked up after. This seems good.

Started good but is kind of silly, unsure on this one

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Fun little series that I discovered:

Basically, what's in the blurb shown just above: Typical arrogant cultivator arrives on Earth in the hope to score an easy victory - only to find that Earth has no spiritual components nor cultivators at all. Apocalypse ensues (slowly) as he forces Qi in the world to make it worth taking. And you end up with a college students making the first cultivation manual, or the first sect slowly taking form under DARPA's auspices.

Not very complex, but an easy read if you like cultivation stories.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've been enjoying this one. Well written.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

This one is newer but I found myself liking it a lot. Takes Isekai and twists it in clever ways. MC is an autist nerd about a single video game that is vaguely like Skyrim. He's the biggest contributor to the wiki of this game and thus has an encyclopedic knowledge of the games quests, locations, characters, items, and so on. He's put into a character that is a minor villain in the actual game and is fairly weak. The world reacts to his actions so he immediately works to get ahead of the main plot of the game before it begins.

His stark change in personality and knowledge of things he should have outright no way of knowing do not go unnoticed and draw the attention of other characters in the world creating the plots and subplots.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Random thoughts on recent web serial stuff :

Pirateaba is fully revealed to be either a sapient AI or a cyborg. The reason for this will be obvious when the announcement is made for non-patrons.

Oooh, a Pith update...
... to announce it's permanently dead. Booo.

Planetary Cultivation - this was a good recommendation, a good read, with interesting characters and a unique premise. It's sort of the urban-fantasy equivalent of a cultivation story mixed with first contact and discovery. An alien cultivator shows up on Earth to challenge the heavens for supremacy. Disappointed to find that Earth doesn't actually have any heavens, he decides to 'improve' it until it does, and then challenge them.

The story isn't about him though, it's a bunch of college students dealing with the cataclysmic side effects, as well as investigating how things work now that cultivation is actually becoming something real. I was amused at the side story of the mc's growing disillusionment with higher education in a world where the laws of physics can get told to go fuck themselves, and 'a wizard did it' is actually a plausible answer to some scientific questions.

Superworld - this is also fun and an easy read, even if it is awfully predictable. A mystery writer the author is not ;p

The Last Orellen - the first chapter of this left me a bit cold, but it quickly picks up to become excellent. I recommend, although I think it was a writathon one, so there's always the chance of author burning out and dropping it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Oooh, a Pith update...
... to announce it's permanently dead. Booo.
Only MOSTLY dead. But yeah, anytime a long delay like this happens it usually spells the end, let alone deciding to take everything down and try the publisher route. It’s not going to go as well as the author thinks, even if I think that they are much closer to traditional author quality than most of the web novels out.
Superworld - this is also fun and an easy read, even if it is awfully predictable. A mystery writer the author is not ;p
I was almost convinced that the big reveal wasn’t going to actually happen because it was too obvious, but then it did…

Still a good read though.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Started reading the latest Void Herald series, and unsurprisingly it is excellent so far. And given his track record, I’m reasonably sure he will actually write an ending to it.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Fun stuff I've stumbled upon: A WH40K fanfic (russian girl get isekaied into the WH40K universe):

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Magic Smithing "might" be back. There's a new post from yesterday. I'm not paying for it, so this is all I can see right now.

back.png

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Nice I liked that.

Casual farmer's beware of chicken did a tournament arc, very well done, it is wrapping up now but the climax fight caused him to gain ~20% more patreon followers due to the cliffhanger he posted wed (He gained ~1000 people) we now know ABOUT what level jin is at due to his actions(on patreon non followers find out monday)

• 1Rustled

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
He released chapter 79 today, so 2 chapters in 2 days. Free chapters, at least. His patreon is quite a bit more advanced. But again, I'm not giving money.

• 1Solidarity

velk

Trakanon Raider
With a bit of extra reading time over the xmas break, I've read through a few more serials.

Stories in early days, for when not having an seemingly insurmountable backlog is a plus:

Paranoid Mage - Urban fantasy type setting - successful architect gets caught up in a supernatural shootout and then is immediately arrested for being an unregistered mage. Finding out a bit more about the secret and increasingly suspicious organization governing magic leads the MC to immediately nope out, then take the first opportunity to escape and go on the run.

One of the best starts to a series I've run across on RR, and from an author that actually finished something, overall good signs for a new series.

Jackal Among Snakes - Isekai of the 'wakes up in a game they are familiar with' variety - the MC ends up as a minor villain and decides that given he's stuck there, he might as well go about saving the world following the game's general plot.

Nothing super original, but I found it engaging and entertaining so far. Kind of like Mother of Learning in tone, with using future knowledge of events and people to manipulate things.

Daunting backlogs, for when you want something with a bit of meat to it:

Sylver Seeker - Ancient lich uses a suicidal soul destroying attack as a last resort against the time-looping adventurer who has destroyed all he had worked for. He is subsequently extremely surprised to wake up in an unfamiliar phylactery, far enough in the future that he is a distant legend and in a world seems to work by very different rules to what he's used to. This doesn't stop him seizing the opportunity to convince a convenient blacksmith to let him take ownership of their body in exchange for saving their girlfriend from goblins.

Technically litrpg, although on the number crunchiness, it's more Wandering Inn than Delve.

It took me a bit to get into this one - the early chapters are pretty rough in terms of editing, but once I got a ways into it that both improved, and annoyed me less because I was more interested in the story. The MC is an interesting character, a pretty unusual take on lawful evil and pretty entertaining. I was amused by his ongoing outrage at absurd system quirks like teleportation being a low level spell that most mage classes get. This is certainly not a story where you'd accuse the MC of having no personality.

Fates Parallel - Harry Potter for furries. It's an interesting setting - the first school set up for teaching multi-discipline cultivation, where it mixes Japanese, Chinese and Korean ideas of magic and martial arts. Much anime cuteness and tropes along with implausible coincidences and cunning plots with logic that probably shouldn't be looked at too closely.

The Simulacrum - teenager with no memory wakes up to find himself in an unconvincingly real world, that increasingly becomes obvious as a harem anime of some sort. Using his out-of-context knowledge, detailed understanding of the genre, and native intelligence, he manages to subvert this by becoming a stereotypical harem anime protagonist.

This is kind of a parody I guess, although the very earnest type, similar to Scream or Galaxy Quest. I've only read the first 'book' of it, but it's pretty cute and low stakes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
He released chapter 79 today, so 2 chapters in 2 days. Free chapters, at least. His patreon is quite a bit more advanced. But again, I'm not giving money.

He said he's publicly re-reading and then posting the prior patreon chapters to get in the right mindset for continuing the story. I was actually surprised at how positive the RR comments were on the return, but I guess it still has a lot of fans.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Another that is really good so far, I really need to stop picking up new ones.