Weight Loss Thread

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
I started using a foam roller about 2 months ago. Absolutely blew my mind the first couple of times I did it when I realized the knots I had in my legs. At this point, a majority of my legs are much better. IT band on the other hand still has some super painful spots.
If you sit at a desk job all day that'll happen. At this point if I go a few days without rolling my legs I notice a difference.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shivering can help you stay slim - Telegraph

A new study from scientists at Sydney University has found that placing volunteers in temperatures of less than 59F (15C) for around 10-15 minutes caused hormonal changes equivalent to an hour of moderate exercise.

These same hormonal changes have been linked to the creation of brown fat, a form of fat that actually burns up energy. Around 1.7 ounces of brown fat are capable of burning up 300 calories in a day - the same amount of energy stored in 1.7 ounces of white fat - the tissue where excess calories are stored.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
If you sit at a desk job all day that'll happen. At this point if I go a few days without rolling my legs I notice a difference.
Yup, I work in IT. My movement is very, very limited. I usually do it before and after every workout now. Pain for pleasure.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Shivering can help you stay slim - Telegraph

A new study from scientists at Sydney University has found that placing volunteers in temperatures of less than 59F (15C) for around 10-15 minutes caused hormonal changes equivalent to an hour of moderate exercise.

These same hormonal changes have been linked to the creation of brown fat, a form of fat that actually burns up energy. Around 1.7 ounces of brown fat are capable of burning up 300 calories in a day - the same amount of energy stored in 1.7 ounces of white fat - the tissue where excess calories are stored.
I believe it. People who live in cold climates have much higher caloric requirements. The people stationed at the bases in the arctic need to eat like 6k calories per day just to maintain weight.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I work on job sites during the winter that are usually exposed, so sometimes the weight just falls off. I'm usually wearing a couple layers of clothes and trying to maintain warmth all while doing physical activity. I'm practically chewing my arm off on the ride home from work, since my metabolism goes nuts. I just have to be careful about eating a big dinner though, or I pay for it.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I work on job sites during the winter that are usually exposed, so sometimes the weight just falls off. I'm usually wearing a couple layers of clothes and trying to maintain warmth all while doing physical activity. I'm practically chewing my arm off on the ride home from work, since my metabolism goes nuts. I just have to be careful about eating a big dinner though, or I pay for it.
I'm the same way, my work hovers around 40-45F during the winters. Never really thought about it until now but I have been excessively hungry lately.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This is why swimmers like Michael Phelps can eat 12K calories a day, because probably 1/2 that goes to just keeping his core body temp constant after being in a pool all day.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This is why swimmers like Michael Phelps can eat 12K calories a day, because probably 1/2 that goes to just keeping his core body temp constant after being in a pool all day.
I don't think he trains in frigid water. Also, I think it has more to do with the fact that he probably burns 9k calories a day exercising (swimming).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its not frigid water, but its definitely lower than his core body temp right? In water, heat is carried away much more effectively than in air due to both conduction and convection.

Thermal neutrality in water is reported to occur at 35?C. Below this value, the human body is expected to lose more heat than it is capable of producing.

The official Olympic standard for a competitive swimming pool is 25--28 ?C

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I don't think he trains in frigid water. Also, I think it has more to do with the fact that he probably burns 9k calories a day exercising (swimming).
The extra high caloric requirements of swimmers have almost everything to do with training in water. My understanding is that 12k is an exaggeration, it is more like 6k-8k, but that is a lot higher than even other Olympic athletes. Doesn't have to be frigid, just "warm room temperature" or about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Water is amazingly good at absorbing and conducting heat, and with a 20 degree temperature differential, it'll suck the heat out of your body fast enough to make it work overtime keeping your core temperature up. However, it is not SO cold that your body "can't" keep up. It just uses a lot of energy doing so.

For all of us, the majority of our "base metabolic rate" is just the energy required to keep warm.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's a good bit about this in Tim Ferriss' 4 Hour Body book, and there seems to definitely be a correlation. While I enjoy a good cold shower in the mornings, I don't think any of us are going to start taking ice baths like he suggests--even if it does work wonders.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Because curious I was going to do a rough calculation of just how much faster water sucks heat away from you compared to air by calculating the Heat transfer coefficient of both situations.

Luckily Google is awesome for the curious but lazy. Found anengineering websitethat lists heat transfer rates from different environments through different metals.

Now, keeping in mind that metals are much more heat conductive than your skin, compare the transfer rates from water-to-air and water-to-water through the same material.

Water -> Copper -> Air or Gas = 2.3 Btu/ft2 hr oF
Water -> Copper -> Water = 60 - 80 Btu/ft2 hr oF

Water sucks heat away from water through Copper 30x faster than air. Now, replacing Copper with Human Body would narrow that difference, but you can get an idea just how much faster heat is sucked out of you when sitting in the pool as opposed to next to it.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Better for shedding weight: hypertrophy or strength training? I'm guessing hypertrophy due to the intensity, but I could be wrong.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Better for shedding weight: hypertrophy or strength training? I'm guessing hypertrophy due to the intensity, but I could be wrong.
Diet.

As to what you should do for exercise, if you are here asking a question like that then the answer is strength training with one of the many popular 5xWhatever programs. I like Starting Strength, but there are several good programs out there.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Diet.

As to what you should do for exercise, if you are here asking a question like that then the answer is strength training with one of the many popular 5xWhatever programs. I like Starting Strength, but there are several good programs out there.
No.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Your body loses heat in water roughly 25x faster than it does in air. Also the act of exercising brings blood closer to the surface capillaries, which makes this worse over time. The longer you swim, the harder your body has to work to maintain temp, whereas you might think the exercise would help keep you warm. It doesn't.

Good things to know if you're ever stranded in cold water. Hypothermia will come on faster if you exert yourself.