Weight Loss Thread

spronk

FPS noob
broccoli is a great source for fiber, i usually HATE the taste of shitty overcooked boiled broccoli (like literally vomit if I eat it) but this recipe here, which is basically super baked broccoli tastes really yummy to me. you have to cook it till its blackened, cook it too little and it tastes like shit
The Best Broccoli of Your Life - Amateur Gourmet

i assume you know the various subreddits too but in case not the recipes subreddit is great for ideas
Eating Keto Style! | Low-Carb Recipes for the Keto Diet

i personally eat chicken 3-4x a week, I get cheap chicken wings or thighs, rub them with a homemade spice blend, bake em in my convection oven for 40 mins at 350, and then either dunk em in a sauce (butter+sriracha or franks hot sauce, cooked over low for 10 mins) or just broil em for an extra 5 mins. dip them in ranch dressing or sour cream (for extra fat) and it is awesome. usually at my store I can pickup like 5 lbs of chicken wings or thighs for $10-15 or less, on sale, and it'll last me an entire week.

edit: dont forget eggs, super cheap and healthy and goes with everything. eggs + burgers, salads, fritattas, omelettes, dessert, etc. I only eat one or two times a day now so eating on keto tends to be way cheaper, especially without all the junk food and soda

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Edit: See 5 posts below. Did a long post with pictures for grilling chicken. It comes out better than any restaurant chicken I've ever had.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Cheap chicken wings? Where? There is a legitimate chicken wing shortage and prices have climbed drastically in the past few years.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Oh I know spronk, I was referring to strictly lettuce.

I took in 100g of carbs the other day and literally dumped 4 1/2 pounds at the end of the day. It was glorious. It was like a fist had been removed from my abdomen.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok, so here's my updated chicken guide. I promise it'll be delicious. It may take practice, but after a few times you'll get a good feel for it. Images in spoilers to save space.

ZVfwQ2Q.jpg

Top: Just showing the tools I use. On the left is my tenderizer/flattener. My wife usually buys the chicken breasts and gets 7 pounds, but apparently I only did 5 pounds. I use a cutting board to keep the juices off the counter. Meat shears make cutting themwayeasier. And finally (hard to see) is a piece of Saran wrap. Place it over your chicken pieces as you flatten to avoid crap flying everywhere.

Bottom: I use a decent sized bowl. Before I put any chicken in I probably put 2 cups ofcoldwater in and just dump some salt in there. I used kosher salt this time, but table salt works fine. It's not dissolving in that cold water, so it doesn't matter.

pbxIvcO.jpg

Top Left: This is an average sized breast.

Top Right: As you can see, I cut the smaller side bigger, because it needs less flattening (almost none on some). The larger side will require a crap load of flattening.

Bottom Left: This was a larger breast. The small side is probably about the same as with the smaller breast, but you can see I divided the larger part into 2.

Bottom Right: Here's the average sized breast after I've flattened both sides (I generally don't do both under the Saran wrap at once, but this was just for an example). I make them about 1/2 inch thickness. The purpose of a uniform thickness is that we're going to cook them very quickly, as opposed to a slow cook like if you were baking.

Npnn0RT.jpg

Top Left: Here's the entire package of breasts flattened and in the brine. The first two pieces I will generally place in the water and swirl around a bunch until the salt gets distributed a bit better. Otherwise that bottom piece just sits on top of all the salt. Make sure that the entire thing is covered in water. I occasionally add salt to the top and just mix the entire thing with both hands. Cover the bowl with foil (or Saran wrap, or if you have a lid) and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Top Right: Get your grill as hot as you possibly can. I place the smaller parts of the breast on the front of my grill (which is colder) since they seem to cook faster and more evenly. As you can see, I salt them pretty heavily (Lawry's Garlic Salt, bottom right pic). Not quite opaque, but close. I cooked these for 4 minutes on the first side.

Bottom Left: Flip after 4 minutes, and heavily salt this side as well. If I see a piece is overcooking in the back, and one is undercooking in the front, I'll switch them. I did 3 minutes 30 seconds on this side before I started taking them off. If I notice one looks obviously raw (because I didn't flatten it evenly) I'll let it sit on there another minute or two. But don't overdo it. When they're resting, they'll finish cooking.

Bottom Right: I place a single piece in a tupperware container. I also forgot to take a picture of the salt, so it's there on the right. I've been doing a lot of smoking, and something I picked up from that is to cover it with a towel (in a cooler if you want extra good measure). It just helps keep some of the heat in. You'll end up with a ton of juices in the bottom of the container you put them in if you use one giant one (which I've done). Unfortunately that means the top pieces dry out quicker, and the bottom ones sit in a gelatinous goo. The top ones (not sitting in the goo) will still be juicy on reheating in the microwave for about 3 days. After that, they're not super awesome anymore. That said, you can scoop some of it out and microwave it on top and it's quite good.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also made my variation of these tonight. Between the gym, the chicken, muffins, and regular meals, I feel like all I've done is cook since I got off work.

I usehoney whole wheat pancake mix, and sub out honey (14g) for the splenda, peanut butter (14g) for the PB Lean, and use unsweetened vanilla almond milk (Silk, since Blue Diamond has carrageenan). I also use a whole banana vice 100g, which came out to 149g this time.

The all peanut butter and banana ones were pretty good, and damn healthy for a muffin (kinda high in carbs/sugar, but then, they're muffins).

The previous times I've done this I used the Cor Peanut Butter Marshmallow flavor. This time I tried molten chocolate. I also did 8 muffins to plump them up a bit, because with 12 they always came out very short. Next time I'll figure out what to increase to make 12 larger ones.

Here's the nutritional info for my version, the entire batch (I figured this out so I could put an accurate entry into MyFitnessPal):
Calories: 710
Fat: 23.2g
Saturated Fat: 11.7g
Polyunsaturated Fat: .4g
Monounsaturated Fat: .75g
Cholesterol: 248mg
Sodium: 1949mg
Potassium: 557mg
Carbohydrates: 142g
Fiber: 12g
Sugar: 61g
Protein: 55g
Vitamin A: 11%
Vitamin C: 21%
Calcium: 73%
Iron: 37%

My version also includes a few Reese's Peanut Butter Cup chips in each muffin. It basically bumps it up by 1 serving of chips. If you really care, you cansubtractthem out (I have the numbers without, but not typing that shit).

My large muffins ended up at 89 calories, 3g fat, 18g carbs, (7.5g sugar), and 7g protein. They're also fucking delicious. I definitely like the chocolate ones better than all peanut butter.

rrr_img_64777.jpg

And also, since I've been doing food posts back to back, I may as well tell you if you have the capability to smoke, fucking ignore the shit I posted above. Instead, buy a whole chicken. Brine that fucker overnight, smoke for 3-4 hours at 275-300. I used apple for mine. I did this one a few weeks ago. Did 2 on Saturday. That's actually the most delicious chicken I've ever had. Plus, it's a lot harder to fuck up than grilling. Almost impossible to dry it out.

rrr_img_64778.jpg

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I have to admit, that looks a little more appetizing than my boiled chicken with pepper.

On a side note, I've been doing stretching/yoga poses for the past two months in order to rehab a pinched nerve. It's helped tremendously and the pain is pretty much gone. As a positive side effect, my flexibility in my hip has increased a ton. I did squats today for the first time in a couple months and I was able to go deeper than I ever have before. I had always neglected stretching and flexibility work before (which is why I got the pinched nerve in the first place) but I really wish I hadn't. Word to the wise: stretch and build your flexibility!

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Boiling chicken is like beating your wife. You only do it as a last resort and you keep it to your goddamn self.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The only time I boil chicken is when I'm feeding it to my dog. She loves it, but then again she loves licking her own butthole.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Errr, I can understand poaching... or even simmering some bones if I was making chicken soup, but boiling?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Bro's, fuck this body fat. It's like Wooderson, I keep getting more swole and that body fat just stays the same.

Started doing 5 miles a day on the station bike on the days I work out, I wish I could do more but I sit for 12 hours a day at work in shitty chairs and I can't stand sitting on that bike for much longer, It hurts like hell.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm getting kind of tired of it too. Been stalled out at the same weight for I believe 2 weeks (was on travel for work for two weeks, so I didn't weigh, but I'm down 1 pound in the last 3 weeks).

I'm dropping my calories by another 100 starting today, but I really just want to say fuck it at this point.

Currently at 161 lbs (5'10"), and it's looking like I'd need to get down to 155 to be where I want.

I will say it's not all bad. I did chest/biceps day yesterday. I do 3 sets of EZ bar curls, and then a sloppy cheat set of hammer curls with 50 lbs dumbbells (been doing this for 2-3 months, only because the 10 lb jump between both arms is too much to keep strict form). The next set has been with 40 lbs dumbbells, strict. Third set I think I did 35's into a drop set down to 10 lbs. By the end of the drop set, I had veins and striations all over the fucking place. Looked like the fucking Hulk.

This past weekend I also went shopping with the wife. I never try on clothes, but I had a stack of clothes that included some t-shirts at Old Navy. I don't know what it was about their mirror, but I looked jacked as hell. I don't normally feel/look big, but something about that dressing room made me look huge.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I know what you guys mean. When I started doing this weight drop I figured 175 would be good for me. I haven't been able to seriously lift in almost a year because my shoulders are so fucked but back when I was doing it regularly I was in good shape at 178. I didn't think it would be that much of a difference but I'm sitting at 174 right now (which I've stalled at for 3 weeks) and it's looking like I'll need to get all the way down to about 155 like you Elurin. I don't think I want to be that goddamn light. Feels so unmanly.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm going the opposite way. Losing weight is horse shit. I'm going back to the eating 5000-6000 calories per day and weight lifting just like I used to. I'll either become Arnold or Huell

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
So I have a hernia and have to have surgery next friday. I guess Ive had it for the last 12 years. No more lifting for at least 6 weeks after that. Im going to try to keto until i can lift again to try to drop these last 10-20 bodyfats