Weight Loss Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a reliable way to measure what constitutes the weight you're gaining? And not calipers, damn it.

I usually overeat by ~200 calories on days I go to the gym, which is 2-3 times a week. Yeah, probably not the most rigorous workout routine, whatever. For a while, my weight didn't change at all, but recently I've been gaining maybe .333 lbs/week, which seems too fast. Wondering if I need to change my base calorie limit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What's your average caloric intake and what type of workout is it?

3500 calories/pound -> 1/3 * 3500 = 1116.67 calories -> you're intaking an extra 400-600 per week, so you might be slightly over on calories elsewhere.

What's your goal? weight loss or weight gain?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
2160 calories per day. 6 feet tall, 30 years old, around 160 lbs.

Workout is pretty simple. I try to do machines that hit the most muscles at the same time because I only go for about a half hour. Spine rotation for torso, both directions. Front and reverse press for upper body(I don't remember the actual name, but it's not a press...the motion is in an arc). Leg press for upper legs and butt. Foot press for lower legs.

Goal is just to get a good workout to stress my body a bit. And to help encourage my wife to go. If I can put on some muscle, that'd be nice too.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Keep in mind that 3500 calories is a pound of fat only, not muscle. I'm not sure that muscle gain/loss can be boiled down to as simple of a number.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
More? Less? Is there something I can read up on it?
The first thing you should do is dedicate more time to each session, if you go for 30 minutes then how much time is left actually working, once warm up and rest times between sets are done? 15 minutes max?

Secondly, you should follow a structured program. Right now, it sounds like you're going in and just fucking around on machines that you can't even explain or describe properly.

If you're new to lifting weights then you can burn fat and gain muscle simultaneously, but if you have been lifting for a decent period of time then muscle growth will only come by eating above your maintenance amount of calories. The more you eat then the more fat you'll gain at the same time. That's why a "slow bulk" where you eat slightly above maintenance to slowly gain muscle with less fat is recommended.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
^holy fuck are you powerful stupid. He's not asking how much training to do.

Well, a pound of protein is something like 1,500-2,000 calories, so that's the nutritional value of it. But synthesizing/building a pound of muscle? I have no idea what that amounts to, nor am I sure if your body yields that many calories if it catabolizes a pound of muscle. Shit's more complicated that fat is all I know.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like body for life might fit you well. It really is an awesome routine. Check out the library section. It gives you everything you need in regards to exercise and eating. You can even use the machines if you want although dumbells are preferred.Body-for-LIFE Library

Probably something your wife might enjoy too, as the forums have a pretty cool, diverse community.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
^holy fuck are you powerful stupid. He's not asking how much training to do..
Goal is just to get a good workout to stress my body a bit. And to help encourage my wife to go. If I can put on some muscle, that'd be nice too.
LOL, so I quoted the wrong thing - sue me. And people have to ask why this thread devolves into me going back and forth with various people, there's your answer Chaos, it's when people reply to genuine advice with comments like those.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ossoi, 30 minutes is the workout itself, that does not include the travel and change time. And it's the same machines, every time. I could go longer, but I am hitting a lot of muscles, according to the placards on the machines. I would consider it inefficient to add more time to only get one or two more muscles.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So is your goal to lose fat/weight, gain muscle or both? 2160 calories is a lose weight amount but you say you want to add some muscle?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Personally I would suggest doing an alternating set of muscles each time. I like Starting Strength by Rippetoe and there are tons of variations. I've always found compound exercises using barbells always worked way better than the machines. Squat for a couple months and you'll be getting ripped up in no time.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you're worried about efficiency, it's probably more efficient to focus on 2 muscle groups each day you go rather than trying to hit 5-6 every single time. You should see better results that way.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
If you're worried about efficiency, it's probably more efficient to focus on 2 muscle groups each day you go rather than trying to hit 5-6 every single time. You should see better results that way.
for real, you're trying to hit every main muscle group in a 30 minute window.

This is the program I used for cutting, you can get the kindle edition for a few dollars. Has a workout and nutrition guide12 Week Body Plan MagBook eBook: Mens Fitness, Nick Mitchell: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

But as others have said, there's a multitude of programs out there, they're all going to be better than what you're doing at the moment

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So is your goal to lose fat/weight, gain muscle or both? 2160 calories is a lose weight amount but you say you want to add some muscle?
Muscle gain is a tertiary goal. Main goals are healthy stress and to get my wife to go. I'll skip the gym if I do something like mow the lawn or shovel the driveway since I consider those a good amount of exercise.

Personally I would suggest doing an alternating set of muscles each time. I like Starting Strength by Rippetoe and there are tons of variations. I've always found compound exercises using barbells always worked way better than the machines. Squat for a couple months and you'll be getting ripped up in no time.
No spotter means no barbells or squats. I'm being overly cautious, sure, but even the possibility of injury makes me weary. Seeing you guys complain about old injuries sure is encouraging!

But that would require going more often, inefficient! Is it not possible to properly work most of your muscles in that time? Honest question, I don't know. I really don't care about getting ALL of them, but the pictures on the machines do seem to highlight quite a few of them.

I usually do 3 sets of 12 reps per machine, 30s between each set, last set incomplete(because muscles tired). Should a muscle be worked more than that?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here is what I'm currently doing... I'm completely spent after the workouts tho.

To add size 5-10 reps
For adding size :10-15 while still leaning
To lean 15-20 reps
Superset Program: do 20 of the first followed by 20 the second. Shoot for 20 if you can get 20 of both for 2 straight workouts up the weight by 2.5 to 5 lbs. Take 2-3 min breaks between sets. The workout is split into 2 days so you do 2 days then the 3rd you either do cardio or take the day off then start over on day4. Each set will be aprox. 40 reps.

I split up day 2. It's just too long for me. I'll do legs/abs then back/bi a different day.

Day 1

Chest
Flat bench- 4 sets
Decline bench 4 sets

Do these together.. finish flat, go right into decline, this is tough so start light... its not something you will be doing with massive amounts of weight. Start light, its about muscle quality not size . Do this with all exercises.

Incline chest
Incline flys

Shoulders
Front raise
Side raise

Rear raise(do this by itself)

Shrugs
Uprights

Triceps
Close grip bench
Tricep pushdowns

Skullcrushers
Kickbacks

Day 2
Legs

Leg ext
Leg curls

Leg press
Lunges- exceptionally hard I use no weight.

Calf presses. Alone do 2 sets wedge footed straight then 2 pigeon toed add more if your calves are a problem.

Back
Lat pull downs wide
Low rows

Stiff leg deadlifts
Hyper extensions

Biceps

Barbell curls
Alternating dumbbells

Preachers
Hammer dumbbells

Abs
Decline sit-ups
Leg lifts

Crunches
Knee lifts

Day 2 is exceptionally long..That's why I broke it up.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
6 hours at the gym?

Deathwing, you can squat without a spotter just don't go heavy. Even squatting light will net big results.
It's a lot dude. I'm only doing it b/c I currently have the drive. I think that day 1 takes me about 2 hours. Breaking up day 2 has helped as well. Probably hour or so each. When I start to get bored I'll break up day 1 a bit too. Plus I'm doing BFL HIIT cardio on non lift days.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I'd never spend that much time in the gym, but I can see doing that if you really enjoy working out. I used to do something similar to the routine Convo posted and each workout was like 1 - 1.5 hours. Nowadays I'm in and out of the gym in 30 minutes or so.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't say I enjoy it.. I just re-frame it in my mind a bit. I do it on an empty stomach and sweat my balls off, so I just assume I'm burning some serious calories.