Weight Loss Thread

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I understand the desire to get that cardio in and burn off extra calories. I've disliked running for a long, long time now. I don't know anyone who runs regularly and hasn't had some kind of leg/hip/joint problem. I stick to cycling for my cardio, whether on the stationary bike at the gym or riding a trail on a real bike. I've never run into any strains/pains/injuries doing that as my cardio.
I've ran regularly for two decades now and my joints are just fine (aside from a reconstructed ankle, but that's unrelated, dislocated during military stuff).

In my experience people who have joint problem from running either are clearly overweight or have poor technique. The former is self explanatory and they often complain about their joints even without running. The later is a matter to learn to run properly (it's largely about how you land on the ground) and it's just a matter to learn to do it properly. The body had to adapt too, during the process shin split are common, so you have to stretch them properly and don't overdo training so your tendons and bones get to the required density without getting micro fractures; its a temporary transition mind you, once past it shin splits are a thing of the past. Running is pretty awesome cardio given how time efficient it is, little equipment it requires, how much of the body is involved and the real world application it entails.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
As in using your legs to move yourself from one place to another. During a typical day i spend a lot more time putting one foot in front of the other than to row or bike. Granted walking isn't running, but it's largely using the same muscle groups. The human body is pretty much designed for running, to say it's bad for you because it hurts da joints is just a load of bs.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I do a lot of elliptical, too. I used to do only elliptical but it isn't practical because my gym reorganized the machines and the ones I like are in a spot where they are taken more often now, so I have to run. I still like the elliptical, it is easy to add resistance and supposedly it is "low impact" so you should have to worry about your joints less, in theory.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
As in using your legs to move yourself from one place to another. During a typical day i spend a lot more time putting one foot in front of the other than to row or bike. Granted walking isn't running, but it's largely using the same muscle groups. The human body is pretty much designed for running, to say it's bad for you because it hurts da joints is just a load of bs.
The human body is designed for running, but I don't think it's designed for the kind of running that most people do. HIIT and sprinting is fine and natural, but running for hours and hours non stop, or running for really long distances (i.e. marathons) isn't natural and it's that kind of running that seems to lead to the most problems and injuries.

I know some people enjoy running and that's fine, but I'll never consider it an ideal form of cardio when there are so many other, low/non-impact options out there.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There have also been some studies done recently that suggest short, powerful bursts of running (sprinting) with rest in between is better for your cardiovascular health and also burns more calories in much shorter periods of time than slow, long jogs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are you referring to HIIT Khane? I did that for awhile and the results were good.

Picking up a bench and powerblocks today. Wife keeps nagging me to workout and I keep telling her running is for faggots. Used to lift pretty heavy, so hoping these are good. The only thing is I need to convert most exercises to dumbbells until I build a squat rack.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
yea.. low carb can cause that shit.

I recently got off the whole low carb thing and went the opposite route. Keeping my fat intake under 50g a day. Friend of mine is going to compete as a bodybuilder and gave me his diet and workout. He went from a stocky 230 to a ripped 185 in the last 6 months or so. The diet is very much like body for life, which I've done in the past and had success with. The workout is pretty awesome too, just time consuming. Still about calories and hard work tho.
Mind sharing some of the aspects of his diet and workout?

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Are you referring to HIIT Khane? I did that for awhile and the results were good.

Picking up a bench and powerblocks today. Wife keeps nagging me to workout and I keep telling her running is for faggots. Used to lift pretty heavy, so hoping these are good. The only thing is I need to convert most exercises to dumbbells until I build a squat rack.
Why not just buy a power rack?
Running is for pussies who had no fun in their youth and therefore have no knee problems.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
When it beats out your chest dial it back a scootch.

It is a good idea to have one though, it is like a saving throw vrs darwin award.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've been reading some material that promotes the idea of doing a substantial amount of exercise at or below your lactic threshold, which corresponds to a perceived exercise intensity of: "am I actually working out right now?".
It's very easy to overdo it without a heart rate monitor giving you biofeedback on your actual intensity level.

The idea of the low intensity approach is that you can get much more volume without leading to overtraining symptoms. If you train at a lower intensity, you're sufficiently recovered 12-24 hours later. Whereas a high intensity workout could require 36+ hours of recovery.

Supposedly olympic athletes, including sprinters, use this technique early in their training period to develop their aerobic capacity. Working out at speeds near or below your lactate threshold does all kinds of things that high intensity training can't--increases mitochondrial activity, increases efficiency of lactate cycling, increases ability of the body to burn fat for energy (necessary for long endurance events to prevent bonking/crashing). Once your aerobic base is built, speed work can be incorporated (ie, starting a couple of months before a race).

Supposedly you also burn fat better at lower intensities (although this isn't my goal--wasn't there a fitness thread on FoH, separate from weightloss? couldn't find one here...)

This technique is pretty much the opposite of high intensity interval training. The criticism of HIIT being that it works for a while for building endurance but then people tend to plateau (because HIIT can't really train the aforementioned biology) or regress (due to overtraining).

Of course, the major downside of high volume, low intensity training is that aint nobody got time for that.

So far I'm struggling to put in more than 5-6 hours of running/cycling per week, but I'm still kind of in a build-up phase. Might not seem like a lot, but I've previously focused on rock climbing and other strength-based activities (trapeze, power yoga). This whole endurance thing is new to me, and I don't want to jump straight into 10+ hours/week.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Supposedly you also burn fat better at lower intensities (although this isn't my goal--wasn't there a fitness thread on FoH, separate from weightloss? couldn't find one here...)

This technique is pretty much the opposite of high intensity interval training. The criticism of HIIT being that it works for a while for building endurance but then people tend to plateau (because HIIT can't really train the aforementioned biology) or regress (due to overtraining).
What? I don't know about fitness - but for fat loss, HIIT is much, much better than standard cardio. Fasted walking at a decent pace is also decent for fat burning

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
It's some new fad. Don't worry it'll pass. They think they're professional athletes and need to simulate some altitude training.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can we get a pic for reference? I didn't believe gym douchebaggery could get any worse than tapout shirts with gallons of water

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Can we get a pic for reference? I didn't believe gym douchebaggery could get any worse than tapout shirts with gallons of water
Let us not stand on ceremony, Mr. Wayne.

rrr_img_67798.jpg

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Let us not stand on ceremony, Mr. Wayne.
Aha, so this isn't an isolated thing. I saw one of these masks a couple weeks ago on these two enormously jacked guys at my gym and my first thought was "holy shit Bane is working out at my gym!"

The worst thing about these masks is the annoying Darth Vader breathing sound they make. I could easily hear them breathing from 30 - 40 feet away in a busy and noisy gym.