Weight Loss Thread

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
What? I don't know about fitness - but for fat loss, HIIT is much, much better than standard cardio. Fasted walking at a decent pace is also decent for fat burning
You burn more fat per unit time doing hiit than a low intensity workout. However, you would still burn more fat total running slowly 10+ hours per week than you would doing a couple hours of hiit per week. This is a fair comparison because there's a low upper limit to the amount of hiit you can do without risking overtraining or injury.

Presumably fasted walking is advocated because insulin prevents fat burning? I guess this is a good idea if you're just trying to lose weight, and relies on similar concepts to what im advocating. However, not eating before a workout that's longer than an hour limits performance (and inhibits recovery). Your body needs a small amount of carbs to burn fat. On a fasted walk you're probably not burning enough energy to deplete the carbs stored in your muscles, but if you want to go for longer, you'll need some carbs to promote that fat burning.

To maximize training, ideally you would eat a good meal with complex carbs, fat, and protein several hours before a long workout. You would only eat enough during exercise to prevent bonking in a long workout. Too much sugar would raise your insulin and make the workout less effective.

If you really want to lose weight, doing 10-15 hours a week of exercise at or below 75% of your maximum heart rate is probably unbeatable (athletes can go up to about 80% while still staying in an entirely aerobic zone, but that takes training).. Of course, you need to build up to that volume safely. And that's a shitload of time to invest in fitness if you have fulltime job and other responsibilities

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
You burn more fat per unit time doing hiit than a low intensity workout. However, you would still burn more fat total running slowly 10+ hours per week than you would doing a couple hours of hiit per week. This is a fair comparison because there's a low upper limit to the amount of hiit you can do without risking overtraining or injury.

Presumably fasted walking is advocated because insulin prevents fat burning? I guess this is a good idea if you're just trying to lose weight, and relies on similar concepts to what im advocating. However, not eating before a workout that's longer than an hour limits performance (and inhibits recovery). Your body needs a small amount of carbs to burn fat. On a fasted walk you're probably not burning enough energy to deplete the carbs stored in your muscles, but if you want to go for longer, you'll need some carbs to promote that fat burning.

To maximize training, ideally you would eat a good meal with complex carbs, fat, and protein several hours before a long workout. You would only eat enough during exercise to prevent bonking in a long workout. Too much sugar would raise your insulin and make the workout less effective.

If you really want to lose weight, doing 10-15 hours a week of exercise at or below 75% of your maximum heart rate is probably unbeatable (athletes can go up to about 80% while still staying in an entirely aerobic zone, but that takes training).. Of course, you need to build up to that volume safely. And that's a shitload of time to invest in fitness if you have fulltime job and other responsibilities
Please pay attention to what I said - FAT Loss, not WEIGHT loss. I also purposefully said that I wasn't talking about fitness, purely FAT LOSS, no need for your stupid bullshit filled essay

10 hours a week of cardio? Umm 10-15 hours a week of exercise? No thanks, I'll stick to 3-4 hours of weights, with 1hour of 7 a side football, and 1 fasted power walk, I guarantee I'll look better than 99% of emaciated marathon runners lol or any other person that thinks 15 hours a week of cardio is optimal for body composition.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I can't even begin to digest or make sense of this nonsense

You burn more fat per unit time doing hiit than a low intensity workout. However, you would still burn more fat total running slowly 10+ hours per week than you would doing a couple hours of hiit per week.
So doing 10hours of exercise burns more fat than doing 2 hours of exercise? THANKS PROFESSOR.

Besides, you've ignored the fact that HIIT elevates metabolism for up to 24 hours after the session, it also increases growth hormone levels and improves insulin sensitivity.

Completely ignored as well that 10-15 hours of cardio is boring and repetitive!

Presumably fasted walking is advocated because insulin prevents fat burning? I guess this is a good idea if you're just trying to lose weight, and relies on similar concepts to what im advocating.
Exercising on an empty stomach, before breakfast, means there's little or no stored carbs in your system, so the body is more likely to use fat as energy. Cortisol levels are also higher in the morning, which again promotes fat burning.

However, not eating before a workout that's longer than an hour limits performance (and inhibits recovery). Your body needs a small amount of carbs to burn fat.
Did I say anything about walking for longer than an hour? 20-45 minutes tops.

On a fasted walk you're probably not burning enough energy to deplete the carbs stored in your muscles, but if you want to go for longer, you'll need some carbs to promote that fat burning.
"Fasted walking at a decent pace", again, please pay attention to what I write. Carbs necessary for fat burning? LOL. Caffeine to raise cortisol and BCAA's to prevent muscle loss, without any insulin spike, which would be counterproductive. Eating carbs as you suggest would spike insulin.

LOL

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Salty tears of someone who refuses to accept that results correspond directly with time invested.

Ossoi, If you think you just owned me: reread my post because I had already conceded every serious point you've made.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Really it's my own fault for posting in a weight loss thread. Is there seriously no fitness thread?
This thread has pretty much doubled as a general fitness thread for a while now. People talk about lifting, routines, and diets just as much (if not more) than pure, traditional weight loss.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Salty tears of someone who refuses to accept that results correspond directly with time invested.

Ossoi, If you think you just owned me: reread my post because I had already conceded every serious point you've made.
Whilst also ignoring the fact that whilst 10+ hours of cardio might be great for weight loss, that weight loss will be evenly distributed between fat and muscle loss.

Just ignore Ossoi. Everyone else mostly does.
Just a reminder that out of all the people who post in this thread, you can count on one hand the number of people that have backed up their opinions with pictures, myself being one of them.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Whilst also ignoring the fact that whilst 10+ hours of cardio might be great for weight loss, that weight loss will be evenly distributed between fat and muscle loss.
Obviously running isn't going to make you look buff or make you good at lifting weights. What I've been talking about this whole time is specificity of training (endurance training =endurance fitness). Do you seriously think I don't understand that?

Of course, who would want to achieve optimal cardiovascular fitness when you can lose fat and look fit with so much less work? Cause that's the point, right? I forgot that how sexy your muscles look is the gold standard for measuring fitness.

Seriously though, even though doing cardio and working strength can be antagonistic goals, it's possible to work towards both. Optimal fitness can't be achieved unless you do both, and the reality of it is that 80%+ of your trainingtime should be about endurance.

If all you care about is looking nice, then yes, there's no reason to do that much endurance training.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
What I've been talking about this whole time is specificity of training (endurance training =endurance fitness). Do you seriously think I don't understand that?.
I don't know about fitness- but for fat loss, HIIT is much, much better than standard cardio. Fasted walking at a decent pace is also decent for fat burning
Which was your cue to then attempt to totally shoot down HIIT and fasted walking. Moron.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
wasn't there a fitness thread on FoH, separate from weightloss?
Really it's my own fault for posting in a weight loss thread. Is there seriously no fitness thread?
This thread has pretty much doubled as a general fitness thread for a while now. People talk about lifting, routines, and diets just as much (if not more) than pure, traditional weight loss.
You're the idiot arguing with me when I've clearly been talking about fitness the entire time. I already conceded that HIIT training is probably more efficient at burning fat per amount of time invested.

I'm done with you.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Why do you have to do this shit every single time someone even marginally questions you in this thread? Are you this big a cunt in real life?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Why do you have to do this shit every single time someone even marginally questions you in this thread? Are you this big a cunt in real life?
Well when I preface my comment with "I don't know about fitness" I thought it would be obvious that was not a cue for any "fitness" people to go on a rant and try and debunk the rest of my comment.

His reply was already redundant as I made it perfectly clear I wasn't talking about optimal fitness activities, but then he had to follow it up with rhetorical comments like 15 hours of exercise is better than 2!

Say what you like about me, I don't care, it's been perfectly clear from day one of me posting on this thread what my goals are, and I guarantee I spend more time reading about the optimal methods to reach those goals than the majority of people who post here.