Weight Loss Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's interesting to see how a scale can be disruptive to others while it keeps others focused (like myself).

Again, the scale doesn't run my life or my eating habits on a day to day basis. I generally give it two weeks before I start making adjustments, sometimes longer if i believe I've plateaued and simply need a "woosh."

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is a cooking topic but it best belongs in here. I'm sure others are just like me and they cannot stand to eat chicken breast every single day, sometimes for multiple meals. I have found a way to cook chicken and season chicken so that it does not drive you insane due to texture and taste. I throw 4 to 5 pounds in the slow cooker and cook for 8 to 10 hours (generally overnight on Sunday). Just use whatever flavoring you want, but to be sure to save some. I change it up with various marinades, salsas, bbq sauce, soups, soup packets, etc... just whatever you like. Once the chicken is done, pull the meat out and dispose of the liquid left behind. The chicken shreds extremely easily right after it is done. Shred and then season with the leftover sauce you didn't use for cooking to give it a little flavor but don't soak the meat or you are largely defeating the purpose. I also add raw onions which adds some much needed bite and offsetting flavor. I have been doing this for several months and have not had a problem eating chicken since I started.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Try this in a slow cooker. I did this a week ago when I was going through my freezer and throwing old shit out. I place 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in a crock pot(mine were frozen). I found a frozen package of kielbasa, sliced that shit up and threw it in there. There was a package of frozen sliced onions and peppers mix, threw that shit in there. Then I took 2 large jars of salsa, one med and one mild and threw them in there. While the shit was cooking it started to resemble some Indian curry crap I have had endless times at lunch, so I made and experiment...

I put in 2 tbs of ground garam masala, about 10 green cardamom pods, 2 tbs of ground red pepper and some dried kasuri methi/dried fenugreek leaves, oh and a stick of cinnamon. If I had some garlic ginger paste i would of added that too, but I didnt. also I would of added like a 1/2 cup of yogurt if I had any on hand but didnt. Oh, I forgot to say I added some brown sugar to balance out the acidic taste of the salsa. I have all these indian spices on hand because I do cook Indian from time to time. I get them really cheap at a local Indian grocery store close to my home, but if you dont have one of those close by, im sure you can order the stuff online, especially the garam masala and the dried fenugreek leaves which add a distinct curry flavor.

Well what came out was pretty fucking impressive, I took the chicken out when it was a few hours in and carefully sliced it up into cubes and put it back in, cooked for about 7 hours total on high (because the shit was frozen). Served it over rice, that shit was delicious. Definitely a curry taste. and will definitely be doing this again. Everyone in the family loved the shit. Best of all, aside the sausage (which you dont have to put in there), there was hardly any fat in there.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I do bone-in chicken thighs in the slow cooker all the time, fuck what Dom said... barbecue sauce and shredded chicken is awesome.

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh you've got to put the kielbasa in there. That's what ties the whole thing together, I'm sure.

Otherwise it's just chicken and rice. I prefer that slowcookered with onion soup personally.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I would love to be able to cook chicken breast in my slow cooker, but I find it always comes out dry.

How's the dryness in the two recipes posted above?

Sous-vide gets a lot of love in the cooking thread...Anyone use it and would recommend it for someone that mostly cooks his food the day before and reheats in a microwave?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Chicken breast in slow-cooker is meh. Slow cooking favors fattier cuts of meat.

Use bone-in chicken thighs; buy skinless or remove skin prior to cooking. I can load up 8 in mine. Poor a can of root beer (diet if you want) in, or get creative with other spice blends. A can of chicken broth is a good "neutral".

iannis

Musty Nester
Mine never comes out quite the same way twice. Sometimes it's pretty dry. Sometimes it's moist and tender.

I dunno man. They say that cooking is just science. Chemistry before there was chemistry. Me, I think it's mostly magic and dumb luck.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In order to have moist chicken breast in the crock pot or any braising for that matter, it needs to be seared off first. That goes for any muscly, non fat meat. What I would of done is cut up the chicken into bite sized chunks, pan fried them up to like 50%-70% doneness and then toss them into the crock pot. But I did not do it since it was frozen. But it came out fine, the longer it goes the better it becomes. Also when you cube it up, like after a few hours in, the more of the sauce it infuses inside of it. And yeah, ideal would of been thigh meat for this.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Since we were just discussing this, a study about how often you should weigh yourself.
How Often You Should Weigh Yourself if You're Trying to Lose Weight

So what I get from that is if you're trying to maintain it is better to weigh yourself every day, that way if you go up you can say holy fuck and reign yourself in. Trying to lose weight daily weigh-ins may still be the way to go, but its more up to the person and their discipline.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I truly believe every day is the way to go. It teaches you not only how to lose weight, but how your body reacts to certain foods.

I respond better to carbs over fats, while my friend digests fats a lot better than I do. I also retain a lot more water than most of my friends, so I don't panic when the scale swings, cause I know it'll swing the other way eventually.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I really don't see why its so complicated. Weigh yourself however often. If the scale isn't moving fast enough, eat less. Rinse, repeat. The only determining factor is your discipline.

My go-to lunch lately has been eggs, chicken, and broccoli. I pan-fry 3-4 eggs and put about 8oz of chicken with it, and just toss some broccoli in. 0 carbs, about 500 calories, probably 50g protein. I'll do chicken and rice or a protein shake for dinner (usually chicken but sometimes I'm sick of it) and I'll usually just have a small bowl of cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. Snack on grapes, apples, bananas, and sometimes whatever bullshit the kids are eating.

It really isn't that hard guys, there's no science to it. Want to lose weight? Eat less. Period.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I really don't see why its so complicated. Weigh yourself however often. If the scale isn't moving fast enough, eat less. Rinse, repeat. The only determining factor is your discipline.

My go-to lunch lately has been eggs, chicken, and broccoli. I pan-fry 3-4 eggs and put about 8oz of chicken with it, and just toss some broccoli in. 0 carbs, about 500 calories, probably 50g protein. I'll do chicken and rice or a protein shake for dinner (usually chicken but sometimes I'm sick of it) and I'll usually just have a small bowl of cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. Snack on grapes, apples, bananas, and sometimes whatever bullshit the kids are eating.

It really isn't that hard guys, there's no science to it. Want to lose weight? Eat less. Period.
Have you ever been addicted to food? The slightest discouragement can send someone way off the rails. In theory it's easy. In practice not so much. Like pretty much everything else on earth.

I mean, washing my car isn't very difficult either, but I only do it like twice a year because I just don't want to. You have to really want to do it to succeed.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Have you ever been addicted to food? The slightest discouragement can send someone way off the rails. In theory it's easy. In practice not so much. Like pretty much everything else on earth.

I mean, washing my car isn't very difficult either, but I only do it like twice a year because I just don't want to. You have to really want to do it to succeed.
Yea, but you don't have a car washing thread where we agonize over which sponge results in more car washing or how my car just retains dirt more than other cars. We don't blame Obama for making our cars dirty and throw up our hands and start a national campaign for dirty car acceptance.

I don't know if I've ever been addicted to food (I guess not, seems like one of those things you would know) but I've never been fat, so... whatever I guess. I just don't get it. Want to lose weight, eat less. Want to get big muscles, lift heavy things. Water is wet, sky is blue, etc

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Yea, but you don't have a car washing thread where we agonize over which sponge results in more car washing or how my car just retains dirt more than other cars. We don't blame Obama for making our cars dirty and throw up our hands and start a national campaign for dirty car acceptance.

I don't know if I've ever been addicted to food (I guess not, seems like one of those things you would know) but I've never been fat, so... whatever I guess. I just don't get it. Want to lose weight, eat less. Want to get big muscles, lift heavy things. Water is wet, sky is blue, etc
Something can be simple while still being extremely hard. Losing weight (for someone who has been very fat most/all of their lives) is simple but it can also be hard.

You know you shouldn't eat the bag of pizza rolls. You don't want to eat the bag of pizza rolls. You'll regret eating the bag of pizza rolls. But somehow you end up eating the bag of pizza rolls.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Much easier to leave the pizza rolls at the store. Then your natural laziness keeps you from going to the store to get them. Lots of steps to losing weight, one of those steps is removing temptation. Another is being honest about your weaknesses, no 400 pound lard ass got there in a week of weakness.