Weight Loss Thread

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
If you don't eat carbs you might as well just kill yourself or start posting in the depression thread, because carbs are the source of the majority of life's food-related joy.

Feien

Ploppers
So about 3 months ago I started an "eat less, move more diet" Been pretty much calorie counting, and trying to eat semi-healthy cutting most carbs and alcohol with the occasional cheat meal or social drink, and have been jogging about 3-5 miles every other day, and taking long walks as I listen to audio books the rest of the week

So far I've been doing really well, I'm 6.0 and went from 226lbs to 190lbs, so I'm feeling pretty great about that. I'm looking to loose 15 to 20 more pounds before I really start working out a bit harder with weights and such. The problem I'm running into is losing body fat. I've realized that loosing body fat has proven harder than loosing weight (probably cuz I have no idea what I'm doing). I'm at about 25% body fat right now.

Any wisdom on how to focus on loosing body fat? Should I stick to what I'm doing and that will come naturally, or should I start hitting the gym? I've been researching online and there are so many different opinions, so I thought I'd come to the den of internet's true knowledge. I don't necessarily want to bulk up. I just want to be leaner and a bit meaner.

Edit: Yep, I'm the dumb ass that wrote loosing instead of losing. Pulling out my "English is not my first language" card.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If its working stick to whats working for you. When you get stuck just power through it. But from what I have read and experienced go low carb. Cut the shitty processed stuff and stick to whole foods. Loosing weight is 90% diet not excersise. You cannot excersise your way out of a shitty diet. Do some research yourself and find whats right for you and your lifestyle.

I would definitely hit those weights. It helps regulate your hormones and keeps you from loosing muscle mass when in a deficit.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Misinterpretation. Many people who start a keto diet don't really read about what it's designed for or why you do it and instead just say "carbs are the devil" which of course is not true. You absolutely can make gains while on a keto diet, but the point is you increase your carb intake to match your physical level of activity because when you're burning more carbs you can eat more carbs and still stay in ketosis. But like many here have said, ketosis is meant to increase weight loss and is not meant to be a "forever" lifestyle. Every keto diet I've come across is either short term completely or phases you out of ketosis once you hit certain milestones.

However, Rezz... there are actually situations where ketosis can help alleviate other symptoms and they were actually created originally to help epileptic children in the 1920s
Touching back on this briefly, I also didn't say that ketosis isn't a slap patch for non-weight related issues. It is a solution to very specific neurological disorders and specific chemical imbalances in instances that standard medical treatment appears to fall short, and it is also considered a very close to "last" step in resolving the issue. Right above partial lobotomy. Going to bring up my favorite go-to given current discussions and say that anything that is used to treat very specific problems in very specific circumstances should not be viewed with any legitimacy as a tool to help someone in any fashion that isn't suffering from those conditions unless there is a medical consensus that it is beneficial to do so. There is -not- a medical consensus on the health benefits of staying in ketosis for anything beyond a short term period of time, and even that concession doesn't actually have any consensus. The body going into "consume fats!" mode is a reaction to strict environmental factors, ie, a lack of intake of sugar. This is a survival response, not a "this makes me more awesome" response. The specific epileptic cases that benefit from this have a "don't seizure out and die in the car" reason behind engaging the diet. For everyone else, it is forcing your body to do something it has adapted to do under situations of duress. Definitely not intended normal operating state.

Anyway, paleo diet is absolutely retarded because I'm going to go out on a limb and say that unless the predecessors to human kind were vampires or something, they were eating roots/fruits/nuts/whatever pretty much constantly when not directly killing prey and consuming the remains. The human body was never built to do what the paleo diet suggests, and it is the reason why we are an omnivorous species. That diet, along with the Atkins, are basically bullshit. Even a huge fatty with major thyroid problems is going to see a reduction in caloric intake if they cut out carbs, which will translate to fat loss. They would get an identical loss if they still ate the same overall percentage of carbs but lowered their intake of calories to below their usage level. Fad diet.

Feien: Stick with whatever is currently working, because it is doing just that: working. Going to the gym might discourage you (depends on your reaction to that type of environment) and changing something may mess up your rhythm. Basically, since it appears that it isn't broken: don't try to fix it. If you are -super- concerned about your bodyfat percentage... As your weight drops, your bodyfat percentage will drop as well. If you -want- to focus on bodyfat percentage, you need to determine a weight you feel you will be comfortable and overall alright with being, and then aim your nutrition goals towards that. But keep in mind that everyone's overall frame is different. 6' and 190 isn't obese or anything weird like that from a numeric standpoint, but it really depends on how you want to look at that point. The TL,DR version is keep doing what you are doing and if you want lower bodyfat%? Cut a little more than you already do out of your diet. Granted, given the 36lb weightloss you have already mentioned in 3 months? You are almost certainly not going to need to change anything to get super low bodyfat counts with your current regimen.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
If you don't eat carbs you might as well just kill yourself or start posting in the depression thread, because carbs are the source of the majority of life's food-related joy.
carbs release serotonin, just like MDMA/ecstasy. McCheese right again

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So about 3 months ago I started an "eat less, move more diet" Been pretty much calorie counting, and trying to eat semi-healthy cutting most carbs and alcohol with the occasional cheat meal or social drink, and have been jogging about 3-5 miles every other day, and taking long walks as I listen to audio books the rest of the week

So far I've been doing really well, I'm 6.0 and went from 226lbs to 190lbs, so I'm feeling pretty great about that. I'm looking to loose 15 to 20 more pounds before I really start working out a bit harder with weights and such. The problem I'm running into is losing body fat. I've realized that loosing body fat has proven harder than loosing weight (probably cuz I have no idea what I'm doing). I'm at about 25% body fat right now.

Any wisdom on how to focus on loosing body fat? Should I stick to what I'm doing and that will come naturally, or should I start hitting the gym? I've been researching online and there are so many different opinions, so I thought I'd come to the den of internet's true knowledge. I don't necessarily want to bulk up. I just want to be leaner and a bit meaner.

Edit: Yep, I'm the dumb ass that wrote loosing instead of losing. Pulling out my "English is not my first language" card.
High intensity interval training instead of long jogs. Get on an exercise bike, treadmill or similar. Alternate 30seconds of max effort with 60seconds of rest, repeat for 20minutes and do that 4 times a week. Eat protein+fats+veg at the majority of meals. After you workout eat protein+carbs (rice,pasta or bread)+ veg.

After 4 weeks of HIIT sessions I would start adding weights.

From the sounds of things it sounds like you're losing muscle mass as well fat as you get leaner, the numbers on the scale might be coming down but by your own admission your body fat % is still high.

I can write you a full 12 week program, including a HIIT/weight and diet guide. If you think you can stick to it then let me know and I will send it over

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Touching back on this briefly, I also didn't say that ketosis isn't a slap patch for non-weight related issues. It is a solution to very specific neurological disorders and specific chemical imbalances in instances that standard medical treatment appears to fall short, and it is also considered a very close to "last" step in resolving the issue. Right above partial lobotomy. Going to bring up my favorite go-to given current discussions and say that anything that is used to treat very specific problems in very specific circumstances should not be viewed with any legitimacy as a tool to help someone in any fashion that isn't suffering from those conditions unless there is a medical consensus that it is beneficial to do so. There is -not- a medical consensus on the health benefits of staying in ketosis for anything beyond a short term period of time, and even that concession doesn't actually have any consensus. The body going into "consume fats!" mode is a reaction to strict environmental factors, ie, a lack of intake of sugar. This is a survival response, not a "this makes me more awesome" response. The specific epileptic cases that benefit from this have a "don't seizure out and die in the car" reason behind engaging the diet. For everyone else, it is forcing your body to do something it has adapted to do under situations of duress. Definitely not intended normal operating state.

Anyway, paleo diet is absolutely retarded because I'm going to go out on a limb and say that unless the predecessors to human kind were vampires or something, they were eating roots/fruits/nuts/whatever pretty much constantly when not directly killing prey and consuming the remains. The human body was never built to do what the paleo diet suggests, and it is the reason why we are an omnivorous species. That diet, along with the Atkins, are basically bullshit. Even a huge fatty with major thyroid problems is going to see a reduction in caloric intake if they cut out carbs, which will translate to fat loss. They would get an identical loss if they still ate the same overall percentage of carbs but lowered their intake of calories to below their usage level. Fad diet.

Feien: Stick with whatever is currently working, because it is doing just that: working. Going to the gym might discourage you (depends on your reaction to that type of environment) and changing something may mess up your rhythm. Basically, since it appears that it isn't broken: don't try to fix it. If you are -super- concerned about your bodyfat percentage... As your weight drops, your bodyfat percentage will drop as well. If you -want- to focus on bodyfat percentage, you need to determine a weight you feel you will be comfortable and overall alright with being, and then aim your nutrition goals towards that. But keep in mind that everyone's overall frame is different. 6' and 190 isn't obese or anything weird like that from a numeric standpoint, but it really depends on how you want to look at that point. The TL,DR version is keep doing what you are doing and if you want lower bodyfat%? Cut a little more than you already do out of your diet. Granted, given the 36lb weightloss you have already mentioned in 3 months? You are almost certainly not going to need to change anything to get super low bodyfat counts with your current regimen.
Rezz, it's apparent you have an axe to grind and you haven't read anything on most keto diets and certainly haven't read anything on the actual paleo diet. Nowhere in the paleo diet does it say to not eat vegetables and fruits and eat just meat meat meat and more meat. And you absolutely have no fucking idea whatsoever about the Atkins diet. You should take time to read about those.

Atkins is a very, very healthy lifestyle. Ketosis is only the first 2 phases of the diet, meant for the severely overweight. It even says right in the book "If you only have 10-15 lbs to lose you can skip right to phase 3" which doesn't involve ketosis at all. The whole goal of Atkins is to getting you to phase 4, which is a very healthy way to go about eating. You can go to the website and read about it if you want. It would take you around 10 minutes to read just about phase 4 and the foods involved.

You have no idea what you are talking about dude. But keep acting like you do. You are exactly the type of person I was talking about when I said most people hear tidbits about these diets and then act like they know everything about them without ever actually looking into them.

Feien

Ploppers
High intensity interval training instead of long jogs. Get on an exercise bike, treadmill or similar. Alternate 30seconds of max effort with 60seconds of rest, repeat for 20minutes and do that 4 times a week. Eat protein+fats+veg at the majority of meals. After you workout eat protein+carbs (rice,pasta or bread)+ veg.

After 4 weeks of HIIT sessions I would start adding weights.

From the sounds of things it sounds like you're losing muscle mass as well fat as you get leaner, the numbers on the scale might be coming down but by your own admission your body fat % is still high.

I can write you a full 12 week program, including a HIIT/weight and diet guide. If you think you can stick to it then let me know and I will send it over
Thanks Ossoi, I'll start giving the HIIT a shot and see how it goes for the rest of the month. I'd take you up on the program, the problem with me and programs is that the nature of my schedule is so random and unpredictable, so I usually have a very hard time sticking to strict diets and routines. You would probably just end up wasting your time, but I do appreciate the offer.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not that far fetched if they've never been athletic and never lifted a weight.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Thanks Ossoi, I'll start giving the HIIT a shot and see how it goes for the rest of the month. I'd take you up on the program, the problem with me and programs is that the nature of my schedule is so random and unpredictable, so I usually have a very hard time sticking to strict diets and routines. You would probably just end up wasting your time, but I do appreciate the offer.
Try and stick as much as possible to protein+fats+veg at the majority of meals. After you workout eat protein+carbs (rice,pasta or bread)+ veg. I'm a similar height to you, keeping each day between 2100-2300 calories should be sufficient to start melting fat.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok trying to set up my fitnesspal again and I was wondering what % of my diet I should set each macro to in order to lose fat. I'm sitting at 6'4" 297 @ 27%bodyfat. Getting back into running both HIIT and distance alternating along with some weights to get back in the groove after 8 months off.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
%s don't really matter, unless you're doing something drastic(keto, etc.)

I personally have my macros as fats .5 g/lb and protein g/lb, fill in the rest with carbs.

So right now I'm at 450c, 200p, 100f. Roughly.

Fiber is the most important thing for me. When you're eating this much, and you can't shit? Hoooooly fuck.