Weight Loss Thread

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just don't go 0 > 100 overnight. In terms of weight loss / exercise / diet, just do it better, consistently, over time. In my earlier years I would always start / stop because I tried to do too much at once and would cave. Once I was older and wiser I was better able to work on the wins I could and worry about the others when I was more in control.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I have started getting on the elliptical. I am now up to 15 minutes, about 1 mile after my workout. How in the living fuck can these women who are like 300+ pounds stay on these machines an hour! I'm DEAD at 15 minutes.

Anyway...still at my same weight this week. 287. BUT I noticed that I am now down to the last hole in my belt!! Mauahahahahahhahaha! Bitches!
300 pounder on that machine for an hour? Yeah, they're probably not working hard. Just going through the motions.

Good on you for shrinking that waist and need a new belt. That, new pants, new shirts, etc. is all very satisfying.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Brahma push yourself to do 30 minutes, and do it in increments. 5 minute increments, every 5 minutes you change up the resistance. Once you make it to the end of that 5 minutes that serves as a kind of "break", then you ramp up again, then down again, etc.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Brahma push yourself to do 30 minutes, and do it in increments. 5 minute increments, every 5 minutes you change up the resistance. Once you make it to the end of that 5 minutes that serves as a kind of "break", then you ramp up again, then down again, etc.
I'd tell him to do real HIIT but he'd probably die.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just got back from the doctor, basically no good news. Weight went up again, I'm at the heaviest I've ever been; 250. I've always hung around 225 or slightly lower, but it's just shitty to see. Also had to put me on new meds because sugar wasn't lowering enough. I guess that's about as big of a wake-up call as you can get when you're told "next step is insulin"

Guess I gotta go pretty hardcore.
No more noodles for you!

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Dude...My fat ass would have a stroke/heart attack and an aneurysm all at the same time.
Well, when you're ready for it... don't do plain cardio, do 20 minutes of HIIT. But definitely work yourself up to it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah the elliptical thing is kind of a poor man's HIIT but not. For the larger gentleman it gives you a good cardiovascular workout without crushing your spirit because you feel like you can't do it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ellipticals never felt right to me. They feel awkward and shitty and my body feels like it can't handle it. Just uncomfortable all around. I just use the stair master

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
That'd be one way to do it. Unfortunately, evidence shows more than 60g of protein in one sitting (2-3 hours) is pointless for protein muscle synthesis. That's saying nothing about how hungry you'd feel eating that much of your diet as a liquid and no gut fill.
I didn't say drink 3 servings of shake at once. And you're the one who said the other day that you don't feel very hungry in the morning. So do a shake at 8am and noon.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
HIIT seems fucking stupid to me unless you specifically want those adaptations for your work. We did a lot of HIIT in the USMC, but that makes sense. Similiarly, I'd expect athletes, firefighters, and LEO (lol), to do that as well. But if your goal is general health then unless you specifically like HIIT (most people don't), then whats the point? Do heavy farmer's walks or some shit. Absolutely works your cardiovascular system without the faggotry involved of going to 180BPM and wanting to die.

rrr_img_136547.jpg

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
HIIT training for 20 to 30 minutes is awful but oh so effective , I've been on a week long vacation but when I get back I'm going to be starting to train for CX season and I'm so not looking forward to the feeling of wanting to vomit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
HIIT seems fucking stupid to me unless you specifically want those adaptations for your work. We did a lot of HIIT in the USMC, but that makes sense. Similiarly, I'd expect athletes, firefighters, and LEO (lol), to do that as well. But if your goal is general health then unless you specifically like HIIT (most people don't), then whats the point? Do heavy farmer's walks or some shit. Absolutely works your cardiovascular system without the faggotry involved of going to 180BPM and wanting to die.

rrr_img_136547.jpg
I believe there have been extensive studies that show that HIIT is both the most efficient way to exercise as well as the best for your cardiovascular health. They say hockey players are the most in shape athletes in all professional sports.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
HIIT training for 20 to 30 minutes is awful but oh so effective , I've been on a week long vacation but when I get back I'm going to be starting to train for CX season and I'm so not looking forward to the feeling of wanting to vomit.
Yea but Brahma is a big fucking dood who has a 400lb bench. Doods with 400lb benches dont like HIIT. Aren't you built like a jockey? 140lb with an elvish frame? Of course you like HIIT, gravity and you get along.

I believe there have been extensive studies that show that HIIT is both the most efficient way to exercise as well as the best for your cardiovascular health. They say hockey players are the most in shape athletes in all professional sports.
Fair enough -- but what about the misery quotient. I'm 6'1 200lb, nothing is more miserable for me than HIIT. For all the people here stroking it to HIIT, are they actually following a HIIT routine and fucking digging it? Because thats like 3 percent of the population (in my experience). Most people despise that shit. Or they do some pussy circuit training, barely breathing heavy, and call it HIIT...

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Yea but Brahma is a big fucking dood who has a 400lb bench. Doods with 400lb benches dont like HIIT. Aren't you built like a jockey? 140lb with an elvish frame? Of course you like HIIT, gravity and you get along.

Fair enough -- but what about the misery quotient. I'm 6'1 200lb, nothing is more miserable for me than HIIT. For all the people here stroking it to HIIT, are they actually following a HIIT routine and fucking digging it? Because thats like 3 percent of the population (in my experience). Most people despise that shit. Or they do some pussy circuit training, barely breathing heavy, and call it HIIT...
It's supposed to be hard, no it's not fun. But it's effective.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
It's supposed to be hard, no it's not fun. But it's effective.
Statistically (not really), 94.8 percent of people who "do HIIT" either aren't actually doing HIIT because their circuit training isn't high intensity, or they "do HIIT" for about 1.4 sessions and then stop because its hard and not fun.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Statistically (not really), 94.8 percent of people who "do HIIT" either aren't actually doing HIIT because their circuit training isn't high intensity, or they "do HIIT" for about 1.4 sessions and then stop because its hard and not fun.
You could say the same for all the dumb pieces of shit that lift 5lb dumbbells 5 times then play on their phone for 1/2 an hour and go home and go "why isn't the gym helping me" - doesn't mean weight lifting isn't effective.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I do HIIT because I race bikes and it's the best way to train myself to recover while at peak effort and increasing cardio capacity.

I don't enjoy it at all but that's why it's training, if it's not hard then you aren't doing it right.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Ellipticals never felt right to me. They feel awkward and shitty and my body feels like it can't handle it. Just uncomfortable all around. I just use the stair master
Everytime I see the stairmaster all I can think of is that book Survivor, which you should read because it is awesome.