Weight Loss Thread

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I didn't say drink 3 servings of shake at once. And you're the one who said the other day that you don't feel very hungry in the morning. So do a shake at 8am and noon.
Lol, fair enough.

Re: HIIT. As others have said, there's evidence that HIIT seems to have an increased metabolic effect for up to 24 hours post-workout (whereas Low Intensity Steady State is only metabolically effective while you're engaging in the LISS activity). There's a phenomenon called Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) that almost exclusively happens with HIIT (LISS has a very minor EPOC effect, but it does happen). The significance of EPOC on metabolism is debated because intensity difficult to quantify, but I've seen estimates of an additional 6-15% energy consumption (and claims that this energy consumption is largely derived from stored body fat). Anecdotally, the people I pay attention to for fitness and nutrition philosophy strongly promote HIIT over LISS (some even condemn LISS as pointless).

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm confident that most people without an underlying medical condition should be able to perform HIIT to some degree, even people who are overweight/obese.

Nothing wrong with starting out at 5-10 minutes of 20/30s on and 60-90s rest. I wouldn't expect Brahma to start off sprinting at max effort on a treadmill but a brisk job would certainly elevate his heart rate, or an exercise bike etc

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Statistically (not really), 94.8 percent of people who "do HIIT" either aren't actually doing HIIT because their circuit training isn't high intensity, or they "do HIIT" for about 1.4 sessions and then stop because its hard and not fun.
Circuit training? As in dropping weight on your reps but taking like 15-20 second break between sets? College buddy and I used to do this thing we called the 300 challenge. Goal was to be done in 30 minutes.

25 Pullups
50 Dead Lifts
50 Bench Jumps
50 Pushups
50 Shoulder lifts (military, lateral, front raises)
50 Ab reps (crunches, obliques, etc)
25 Pull ups

For my HIIT now, I just hit a high school track. Sprint straightaways hard as you can, walk curves. 10-12 sprints, you're fucking done.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm glad I haven't seen this here, because it cracks me up when people say their HIIT routine is some variation of 1 minute of high intensity, 2 minutes of rest. The purpose of "high intensity" is ALL OUT as HARD AS YOU CAN for X number of seconds. If you can do something for a whole minute, you're pacing yourself and not going all out.

The interval I do is:

5 minute warmup
50 secs low intensity or rest/10 seconds high
48 secs low intensity or rest/12 seconds high
46/14
44/16
42/18
40/20
40/20
42/18
44/16
46/14
48/12
50/10
5 minute cool down

Depending on the movement, I may not make it all the way back to 50/10; but I always try, and I only stop when I physically can't do any more reps with real intensity.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
You could say the same for all the dumb pieces of shit that lift 5lb dumbbells 5 times then play on their phone for 1/2 an hour and go home and go "why isn't the gym helping me" - doesn't mean weight lifting isn't effective.
The difference is fucking around on 5lb dumbbells and Pokemon Go isn't acutely miserable like a true HIIT workout is. I could draw up a pretty easy weight-lifting routine with slow as fuck progression that'd still genuinely help someone over the course of 3-12 months. The adherence rate would be substantially higher than if I broke their dick off with rapid fire burpees and lunges.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I agree that people should generally stay in their comfort zone when starting out. Ideally they would progress into the realization that more effort = more payoff as they become more adapted to the increased activity. I wouldn't recommend HIIT to a fitness noobie because, as you say, adherence would likely be minimal.

Not to derail too much, but I wanted to thank my genetics for allowing me to be fat as fuck and still have calves like this.

rrr_img_136554.jpg

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Fat people always have calves man. It's not actually a perk until you lose the weight and retain the calves.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Formerly fat people tend to have nice calves, even after they lose weight. Always-skinny have shitty calves.

When was the last time you looked at a dude and went "god damn look at the calves on that dude" or heard a girl do so?

Care about things that matter.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had a really hot girl complement my calves before... She even took a photo of them. Just saying...

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Formerly fat people tend to have nice calves, even after they lose weight. Always-skinny have shitty calves.

When was the last time you looked at a dude and went "god damn look at the calves on that dude" or heard a girl do so?

Care about things that matter.
I get complimentedon my calves pretty regularly by dudes and I've never been a true fatty, I chunked up for a bit during my eq/wow days but never obese.

I've just got winning genetics.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
... I guess people do compliment calves. Allrighty then.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
... I guess people do compliment calves. Allrighty then.
I'm picturing a woman desperately trying to get out of a conversation with a 5'6 250lb pudgy bald guy at a party. He's busy holding forth about his excellent calf genetics and she's nodding her head and staring at a point over his shoulder.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I'm picturing a woman desperately trying to get out of a conversation with a 5'6 250lb pudgy bald guy at a party. He's busy holding forth about his excellent calf genetics and she's nodding her head and staring at a point over his shoulder.
Think we got a man with calf envy here.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I did some hardcore HIIT back in my college days. Consequently I was in the best shape of my life, it was incredible.

I didn't do some lame ass shit at the gym though. I played Dance Dance Revolution.