Weight Loss Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I usually either eat a piece of chicken or drink a casein shake before bed. Hell, sometimes dinner is at 9:30, I'm basically eating a full fucking meal before bed.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Only reason no eating before bed would work in my opinion is simple calorie restriction. If you go to bed hungry, you're probably below maintenance, thus weight loss. I think the carb thing is irrelevant.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
This is more of a workout hypothetical question but I guess this might be the best place to put it. From what I have heard, muscle memory is an actual thing and it is easier to get back to a target size/weight then to increase your size over the largest you have ever been. Now keep in mind this is just a hypothetical question but baring the bad side effects of taking "enhancements" would take them for one cycle be beneficial to breaking my plateau / increasing my size so that I build up that muscle memory? I would then stop taking them, allow my body to adjust back, and then work out naturally to build back to the biggest size using the concept of muscle memory to assist me. Would something like that actually work or would it be a waste of time/money?

This is more of a workout hypothetical question but I guess this might be the best place to put it. From what I have heard, muscle memory is an actual thing and it is easier to get back to a target size/weight then to increase your size over the largest you have ever been. Now keep in mind this is just a hypothetical question but baring the bad side effects of taking "enhancements" would take them for one cycle be beneficial to breaking my plateau / increasing my size so that I build up that muscle memory? I would then stop taking them, allow my body to adjust back, and then work out naturally to build back to the biggest size using the concept of muscle memory to assist me. Would something like that actually work or would it be a waste of time/money?
No, not generally. Supraphysiological levels of testosterone and using that to achieve new levels of muscle mass really just creates a problem for when you come off. If that logic worked bodybuilders/athletes wouldn't need to ever use drugs again once they got as big as they want.

Time/money aren't really the "worth it" question, it's more prudent to consider your hair line, your prostate, your skin, etc.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's kind of a "depends" question. If you've currently got a lot of natural potential left, doing a cycle could theoretically get you closer to your natural limit. But if you're already close to your natural limit, you'll end up pushing past it, and when you come off the cycle you'll go back to where you would be without it.

Most of the people who do cycle recommend that you don't do it until you've already basically gone as far as you can naturally. This is because you can make those natural gains for free relatively easy.

I think a lot of the problems with steroids is that people see it as "cheating." Just inject this stuff into your ass and you'll explode! The thing that people don't realize though, is that the people juicing (at least the ones who do it and get huge) are absolutely giving everything they have day in and day out in the gym. They're working way harder than most people. It's not a get huge quick scheme. You've still got to put in the effort. So if you're not putting in that kind of effort naturally, it's seen as somewhat of a waste of time.

You'll definitely still make quicker progress, but it's kind of a question of, why don't you just bust your ass without it and see where that gets you, before taking the expensive option?

If you're really curious, head over to the T-Nation forums. They have one entirely devoted to steroid use, with people who've done one cycle and guys who've been on a continuous one for decades. They're very knowledgeable, and it doesn't have the same stigma there that it does in most other places.

There was a thread on there talking about the stigma, and why it is the way it is, and someone mentioned something that I thought was pretty spot on. There's this negative stigma associated with testosterone supplementation, but no one seems to care that millions of women take sex hormones just so they can have sex (or to control acne, or the myriad of other superficial uses of it). Birth control is just female sex hormone, and it's used in mass numbers for reasons that aren't any "better" than testosterone. It's a weird dynamic our society has.

darkko_sl

shitlord
I just got some Gold Standard whey protein. Do they usually come with a scoop inside? I don't see one but the directions say to use one rounded scoop. Just curious. If not, how do you guys measure?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I just got some Gold Standard whey protein. Do they usually come with a scoop inside? I don't see one but the directions say to use one rounded scoop. Just curious. If not, how do you guys measure?
Check really good, I thought the same thing when I bought a tub of whey once and it was smack dab at the bottom and took me awhile to find.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, they generally end up towards the bottom. Get a butter knife and start stabbing until you feel something hard. Then fish that bitch out.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Since my last post:

13.8% -> 13.5% -> 14.8%

I've just got back from Glastonbury so for 5-6 days good diet was out the window and replaced by alcohol.

Chesire_sl

shitlord
Had the best luck sticking too an 1800 calorie diet , and drinking lots of ice cold water . Till I reached my weight goal and stayed there.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So I finally decided to start not being a fat slob. It's been almost 3 weeks (20 days) and I'm down 10lbs.

Big issue I ha was eating one large meal a day and a small snack at night....my metabolism was pretty much gone.

I now eat small about 4 or 5 times a day, I cut out all junk except for 1 can of coke which I treat myself to at the end of the day if I did well. (ice cold coke is my biggest guilty pleasure...fuck I love it) I'm using the coke as an incentive at the end of the day and it's been working well.

I started walking/running. I'm really fat so my pace is pretty bad, but we all gotta start somewhere.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
So I finally decided to start not being a fat slob. It's been almost 3 weeks (20 days) and I'm down 10lbs.

Big issue I ha was eating one large meal a day and a small snack at night....my metabolism was pretty much gone.

I now eat small about 4 or 5 times a day, I cut out all junk except for 1 can of coke which I treat myself to at the end of the day if I did well. (ice cold coke is my biggest guilty pleasure...fuck I love it) I'm using the coke as an incentive at the end of the day and it's been working well.

I started walking/running. I'm really fat so my pace is pretty bad, but we all gotta start somewhere.
Meal timing makes no difference in the overall scheme of losing weight. Overall calories matter for pure weight control. Macros matter for strength/endurance/etc training.

Cutting out the junk did you the most good.

If you want to lose weight, lift weights. Google Starting Strength or Stronglifts and do that instead of focusing on cardio. Sure, spend 5-10 minutes warming up using cardio, but lifting weight > cardio for weight loss especially with increased muscle mass passively burning more calories during the day for you automatically.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/yaho...making-you-fat

Not news to anyone that follows this thread.

But yea, mealtimes don't matter, but if you get hungry throughout the day, splitting up your mealtimes is 1 way to put something in your stomach, it will also give you something to do if you eat when you're bored... Your metabolism has little to do with how many meals you eat, and is only related to your mass and your activity level.

The IF diet (intermittent fasting) diet works for a lot of people (myself included, I've used it successfully to lose weight) and works by simply reducing the amount of calories you eat.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Meal timing makes no difference in the overall scheme of losing weight. Overall calories matter for pure weight control. Macros matter for strength/endurance/etc training.

Cutting out the junk did you the most good.

If you want to lose weight, lift weights. Google Starting Strength or Stronglifts and do that instead of focusing on cardio. Sure, spend 5-10 minutes warming up using cardio, but lifting weight > cardio for weight loss especially with increased muscle mass passively burning more calories during the day for you automatically.
Really? only eating one large meal of 1500 -2500 calories a day in the middle of the day had no adverse effect on me you're saying?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Psychologically is the only real place you'll see a difference. The overall timing of meals is pretty insignificant (not completely, but so minute that it makes no difference realistically). But being hungry all day is tough on most people.

In the end, it's still calories in < calories out for weight loss. Packing on muscle mass will help you appear in better shape and also raise the amount of calories you need for maintenance. So if you're eating the same amount, you'll lose weight. Or you can be like most people and enjoy lifting so much that you increase your caloric intake along with your LBM gains.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
-shrug- I've been told otherwise by people who are active and people who body build for a living. No offense and I'm not looking to argue over it. Either way it seems to be working so it doesn't really matter.

I don't have time go to a gym and lift. I work 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week and have a family to attend to. So I'm just doing what I can when I can.

-shrug- I've been told otherwise by people who are active and people who body build for a living. No offense and I'm not looking to argue over it. Either way it seems to be working so it doesn't really matter.

I don't have time go to a gym and lift. I work 12-14 hours a day 6 days a week and have a family to attend to.So I'm just doing what I can when I can.
So stop being an idiot and quit drinking coke. You are obese by your admission, you are in no realm or world where you should be rewarding yourself with coca cola. I mean, seriously? This is why you are fat.

And people who "body build" for a living probably still believe that 6-7 small meals a day is optimal for weight loss, and recent research shows that it isn't really the case. 4-5, or even 3 are probably fine.