Weight Loss Thread

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Haha thanks dude, but it's gotta be said:

p7rri0trqbpy.jpg

2652006-7638439501-fIqy7.jpg

For those of you poor souls stuck on the short bus system of measurement :p I went from 240 pounds to 173 (at 6'2*).

And fuck it feels good. I piled on about 25kg back in 2010 and this is the first time I've been back down to a healthy weight range.

I went to scope out a local gym earlier, it looks pretty good (and the heated pool was a definite selling point, with winter coming on) so I'll probably sign up there and try get some muscle definition going.

*Yeah for some reason we still measure height (and dick size) in imperial. Fucked if I know why.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
You're in the UK I take it? Is there a reason you didn't give your weight in stone? I watch a lot of British weight loss TV shows, and they always give weights in stone, like 12 stone 4.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Haha thanks dude, but it's gotta be said:

View attachment 141507

View attachment 141508

For those of you poor souls stuck on the short bus system of measurement :p I went from 240 pounds to 173 (at 6'2*).

And fuck it feels good. I piled on about 25kg back in 2010 and this is the first time I've been back down to a healthy weight range.

I went to scope out a local gym earlier, it looks pretty good (and the heated pool was a definite selling point, with winter coming on) so I'll probably sign up there and try get some muscle definition going.

*Yeah for some reason we still measure height (and dick size) in imperial. Fucked if I know why.

I'd be fine if the US switched over to pure metric. It'd be a little chaos for a few years but we'd figure it out.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
I'd be fine if the US switched over to pure metric. It'd be a little chaos for a few years but we'd figure it out.

I figure it's only a matter of time - pretty sure all of your scientists use metric anyway, so it'll trickle down from there sooner or later. Possibly not a priority with how crazy the US is atm though.

You're in the UK I take it? Is there a reason you didn't give your weight in stone? I watch a lot of British weight loss TV shows, and they always give weights in stone, like 12 stone 4.

Australia. Yeah the "stone" thing does my head in too, but the Brits are weird like that.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

All our scales say Stone and Kilos, I don't use stone, just KG and can also work in lbs. I'm guessing that being more fitness oriented leads one to work in kg and lbs probably because they're more precise. - Most people will say X stone or X and a half stone - rounding to one or the other

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Stone is always confusing when I watch brit shows. I weight 20.5 stone right now. I'm trying to get my weight 16.5 stone.

Or I weigh 288, trying to get to 230lbs. I haven't weighed that little in almost a decade, I doubt with my current build I could get back down to that, but I'd settle for a non-flabby 250.

I just started hitting the gym again after almost a year and a half. I come home destroyed, but I also feel like I accomplished something, which hasn't been the case since I switched jobs.

McCheese

There's no reason you couldn't get down to 230 or even much lower. Even if you're over 6 feet tall. That's a pet peeve of mine. My friend is 6'2 and about 230 pounds right now. He was saying there's no way he'd be able to get down to 200 with his "build." That's just bullshit. Most people a) overestimate the amount of muscle they have; b) underestimate the amount of fat they have to lose; or c) both.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's no reason you couldn't get down to 230 or even much lower. Even if you're over 6 feet tall. That's a pet peeve of mine. My friend is 6'2 and about 230 pounds right now. He was saying there's no way he'd be able to get down to 200 with his "build." That's just bullshit. Most people a) overestimate the amount of muscle they have; b) underestimate the amount of fat they have to lose; or c) both.

Before I started roofing, I weighed 209. I'm a lot more muscular now, with broader shoulders, but since I stopped roofing I've gained 50 pounds lol. Since I'm weight lifting to lose fat, I assume I'll build muscle, so I think a lean 250 would be fine.

I don't underestimate the amount of fat I have, and I know I've lost quite a bit of muscle mass in my arms, but my legs and back are still strong from picking things up.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Before I started roofing, I weighed 209. I'm a lot more muscular now, with broader shoulders, but since I stopped roofing I've gained 50 pounds lol. Since I'm weight lifting to lose fat, I assume I'll build muscle, so I think a lean 250 would be fine.

I don't underestimate the amount of fat I have, and I know I've lost quite a bit of muscle mass in my arms, but my legs and back are still strong from picking things up.

Are you 7 feet tall?

McCheese

Lol at "lean 250." At 6'3 and 250 pounds you're still considered obese in terms of BMI. And no, you're not an outlier due to muscle or whatever.

If you're happy with how you look and feel, that's great. I'm just saying don't sell yourself short by thinking you can't get under 230 pounds while retaining good amounts of muscle.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Of course not, I'm 6'3".

Professional body builders would be a lean 250

You don't gain any muscle roofing. Sorry, you just don't. Your "build" is irrelevant. You don't have a "big frame" or whatever.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I did tile roofing Cad, lifting 80+ pound buckets of mortar, and 4-5 10 pound tiles and humping them across the roof. I wasn't just laying shingles with a nail gun, that shits rough on your back, but doesn't take any effort.

And no, I don't have a "big frame" i'm not saying I'm big boned, but compared to my similar height friends, I'm muscular, just fat on top of it. McCheese McCheese , Even at 220, I was considered obese by government BMI standards for my height.

Besides working out, what's the recommended caloric deficit for someone who wants to weigh 230? I've seen various things online, like target weight x14 is your target calorie intake, etc, but that's 3200 calories, seems high?

McCheese

Use an online TDEE calculator, put in your height and weight as 230. For exercise, err on the side of caution and put one lower than you think. If you think you do moderate exercise, put in light. That will give you the calories you should eat to maintain a weight of 230 pounds.

Different calculators use slightly different formulas, so I'd do a few and pick an average number.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So a little update after reaching my goal of <20% body fat, I've been off my diet, eating normally, working out more for like 2 months now. I've lost 2 lb since then, not much, but not gained anything and still <20% body fat. Starting to hit the gym at least 3 times a week now.

As has been said many times in this thread, fuck being fat.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I did tile roofing Cad, lifting 80+ pound buckets of mortar, and 4-5 10 pound tiles and humping them across the roof. I wasn't just laying shingles with a nail gun, that shits rough on your back, but doesn't take any effort.

And no, I don't have a "big frame" i'm not saying I'm big boned, but compared to my similar height friends, I'm muscular, just fat on top of it. McCheese McCheese , Even at 220, I was considered obese by government BMI standards for my height.

Besides working out, what's the recommended caloric deficit for someone who wants to weigh 230? I've seen various things online, like target weight x14 is your target calorie intake, etc, but that's 3200 calories, seems high?

10-12 calories per lb of body weight to lose weight assuming a regular exercise plan

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
So I just did a microfit assessment where they hook you up to a bunch of machines, both dexa and impedence Body comp assessments, basal metabolic rate calculations, macronutrient guidelines, etc.

just reading through some of these posts i'm so fucking confused.

According to science, 101.9 Lbs of my 168 Lbs is water. Muscle/skeletal system only weighs 36 Lbs. the rest is fat, putting me at just under 18% body fat. i'm trying to trim down to 15% or below, or around 158-161 total Lbs.

Some of you dudes are saying you are 300 lbs but 200 lbs of muscle and shit. Ok you are a little fat and maybe 50 Lbs of water or something?

Normal Water is 53-72% of your total body weight (the fatter you are, the less % of your body weight is water weight, btw)

You would be dead if it were less.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So I just did a microfit assessment where they hook you up to a bunch of machines, both dexa and impedence Body comp assessments, basal metabolic rate calculations, macronutrient guidelines, etc.

just reading through some of these posts i'm so fucking confused.

According to science, 101.9 Lbs of my 168 Lbs is water. Muscle/skeletal system only weighs 36 Lbs. the rest is fat, putting me at just under 18% body fat. i'm trying to trim down to 15% or below, or around 158-161 total Lbs.

Some of you dudes are saying you are 300 lbs but 200 lbs of muscle and shit. Ok you are a little fat and maybe 50 Lbs of water or something?

Normal Water is 53-72% of your total body weight (the fatter you are, the less % of your body weight is water weight, btw)

You would be dead if it were less.

My Withings/Nokia body cardio scales tell me that:

75.3kg body weight
10.3kg body fat
61.8kg muscle
3.3g bone

But they also say my body water is 45.5kg

Fat mass + Bone mass + Muscle mass = 100% of the body composition. Fat and Muscle contain water so the body water reading is separate to those.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Muscle, flesh (organs etc), and blood contains water. Fat contains much less water. 75% of muscle mass is water, while only 10% of fat mass is water. It's easier to think of it as Fat + Water weight (where as muscle/bone is included in the water weight portion). your bones weigh almost nothing relatively speaking. But yes your readings are technically correct.

I understand that we're using different scales but for most purposes water weight and fat weight are separate, or rather fat weight is the number you are concerned with, since water + Muscle + Bone is what makes up your fat free mass.

Your scale is saying fat + muscle + bone = 100%, but included in muscle is literally everything else In your body not fat or bone. Ligaments, tendons, cartilage, blood, organs, skin, etc. That shit weighs a lot, and most of it is water. The actual protein muscle strands that make up your skeletal muscular system is only 20% of that weight.

A dude who weighs 300 lbs "with 200 lbs of muscle" is 90 lbs of fat ( +10 lbs of water in that fat) 10 lb of bone, 150 lbs of water (including skin flesh organs blood etc) and 40 lbs of actual muscle at best.

Last edited: