Weight Loss Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
You've dropped 50lbs by doing one thing; Eating at a caloric deficit.

50lbs in 9 months is good work though. You're probably feeling a hell of a lot more energetic. What's your end game?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My pants have been noticeably tighter since frozen Mac and Cheetos hit the frozen foods aisle in my grocery store. I try to balance them out with Halo Top but it doesn't seem to be working. :(

Started intermittent fasting late August, 14 to 16 hours usually, no keto. 5Kg lost. I have bad discipline, but not eating is easier than eating just a little.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
I try to balance them out with Halo Top but it doesn't seem to be working. :(
Speaking of, seems people are hopping on the halo top train. Last time I went to store I saw another new competitor in the same style and I think it is Kemp's has their own version now called Yo^2. Picked up a mudslide and Coffee in the kemp's brand, haven't tried the mudslide yet, but the coffee was good.

McCheese

Speaking of, seems people are hopping on the halo top train. Last time I went to store I saw another new competitor in the same style and I think it is Kemp's has their own version now called Yo^2. Picked up a mudslide and Coffee in the kemp's brand, haven't tried the mudslide yet, but the coffee was good.

Yeah, even the big brands are getting on the bandwagon. I think it's Breyer's that has an almost identical (in terms of calories) product right below Halo Top in the grocery store now. It wasn't there a few months ago. I haven't tried it yet to see how it compares. Honestly, it's fine with me to get more choices that might help drive down the price, because while delicious, Halo Top is fucking expensive.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its honestly because Halo top is actually ice cream where Breyers is garbage tier "frozen dairy dessert"

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I haven't read or posted in this thread.

I started keto on Aug 1 @235 pounds and 6 feet tall.

I don't miss carbs other than I normally drink my carbs in the form of lemonade and some soda. Recently cut back from soda at home and only get it when eating out so that was lessened.

I do feel a slight perpetual hunger but not like I am dying, more like my brain thinks it's hungry even if it ate enough.

This is more of a temporary reset on my system with hopefully a little bit of weight loss to the point I can comfortably pick up exercising again.
Down to 217 which is pretty good I feel.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So what do you guys think of Gary Taubes?

I've been doing quite a bit of research on keto and the like, and at this point I'm pretty convinced he has the right of it for the most part. Now, I certainly buy into the premise that everyone is different and so all diets have varying effects on each person, but it seems pretty clear that low carb diets are much healthier than traditional diets and that simply saying calories in minus calories out doesn't capture the whole picture when it comes to weight loss. I think the thing that I agree with most, though, is that any diet that doesn't allow you to eat until you are satiated is a diet that will eventually fail you.

Anecdotally, I find it 100% true that losing weight on keto is effortless. Of course, I'm skinny by nature and can survive off of steak, bacon, and cheese so I'm probably an outlier when it comes to these things.

Anyways, I've been looking for smart people to talk with about this subject.

• 1Solidarity

McCheese

CICO always works. It's not the full picture when it comes to nutrition, health, and appetite, but it is for weight loss and it always works.

LiquidDeath

CICO always works. It's not the full picture when it comes to nutrition, health, and appetite, but it is for weight loss and it always works.

I agree with that much. It has to work due to the laws of thermodynamics. I'm saying that the way we measure caloric intake and put them on packages and the way we determine how a body burns calories is most likely at least partially incorrect.

**EDIT** I'd include that we also don't understand how things that are not calories affect caloric burn. Things like diet sodas that impact weight gain and loss for seemingly unknown reasons. Also, we accept that hormones during puberty greatly change how calories are processed and how they affect the body, but there is virtually no discussion on how hormones (other than insulin) could affect weight loss after puberty.

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
No question he's probably right, though I would argue that exercise (particularly lifting/high intensity cardio) accelerates it even more. This is purely anecdotal, but I struggle to believe that me sitting around playing vidya games all week and not leaving the couch while consuming as much cheese and gabagool as i can fit in my belly will help me lose fat at the same rate as somebody eating low carb and exercising 3 times a week. He might not even be implying that either - video was good though and I appreciate the research he's done.

Plus, these fuck-stick pharma/medical companies have no interest in validating his claims - they lose too much $$ if it's as easy as he says it is

• 1Solidarity

McCheese

I'd kill myself if I couldn't have two bacon egg and cheese biscuits from McDonald's every morning.

LiquidDeath

I'd kill myself if I couldn't have two bacon egg and cheese biscuits from McDonald's every morning.

I'm just lucky that I care way more about the bacon, eggs, and cheese than I do about the biscuit. Biscuits are delicious, but after eating low carb I definitely feel like shit for hours after eating them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

McCheese

I feel like shit after eating them, too. But they're delicious so I don't care. No regrets.

• 1Worf

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya for me it's not really breads or pasta, but rice and baked potato's are killer and something I constantly struggle with. For years I'd start my morning with a banana and a yogurt - easy, cheap and on the go but I've weened myself off the banana's and have replaced that with apples/mango/whatever's in season. I still drink/eat yogurt on occasion.

My go to mid week dinner has been eggs and bacon and it's satisfying assuming I make 3-4 eggs, but now that my wife is pregnant, our shit has been completely turned upside down. She's craving pizza, baked potato's all sorts of shit we don't regularly eat and she's developed an aversion to steak which is pissing me off. The smell even makes her want to puke.... I might actually buy that guys book as the video was really informative and interesting - the German science and research going the way of the dodo was fascinating to me and makes me wonder what else was lost post WWII

• 1Solidarity

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Anyways, I've been looking for smart people to talk with about this subject.

impossible, people are too invested in their own viewpoint to have a logical discussion.

Some points:

Keto diets are flawed, it's all too easy to lose weight on keto and develop an irrational fear of carbs even vegetables, which is madness.

The notion that carbs/sugar make you fat even at a deficit because "lol insulin" is flawed. Go look at the results for #iifym on Instagram and see how many people are including junk food/treats in their macros and still staying in shape.

Putting all the blame on carbs for obesity is flawed. It's not the carbs in the pizza and soda from Dominoes that are making you obese, it's the processed fats and surplus of calories.

LiquidDeath

impossible, people are too invested in their own viewpoint to have a logical discussion.

Some points:

Keto diets are flawed, it's all too easy to lose weight on keto and develop an irrational fear of carbs even vegetables, which is madness.

The notion that carbs/sugar make you fat even at a deficit because "lol insulin" is flawed. Go look at the results for #iifym on Instagram and see how many people are including junk food/treats in their macros and still staying in shape.

Putting all the blame on carbs for obesity is flawed. It's not the carbs in the pizza and soda from Dominoes that are making you obese, it's the processed fats and surplus of calories.

I agree with you about blaming carbs for all our problems is silly. I'm 36 years old, spent my late teens and all of my twenties eating whatever the fuck I wanted, and was skinny the whole time. I have great genetics when it comes to diet, apparently. Constant diet experimentation, though, has shown me that I function best on keto/low-carb diets. I feel better, I think better, I'm regular, I have no weight issues, and I'm not hungry most of the time. All of that is effortless. Carb loading fucks me up, though. Clearly, though, a large and growing number of people who do not have that same luxury (through some combination of diet and genetics) and also are increasingly dying from weight-related issues are looking for ways to not just lose weight but get healthier overall and the science of the day all points to cutting excess sugar and carbs to do it.

I disagree with you about keto diets being flawed. Most of them focus on eating vegetables as much as possible, they just steer you to ones that are colorful and not carb heavy. Also, I don't see anyone making the point that eating only sugar at a caloric deficit will make you obese. It will fuck you up royally, though. The problem isn't just the sugar and carbs themselves, though I'd argue that most of the research shows your body doesn't process them in a healthy way, but the general impossibility of eating a diet consisting of mainly those things while remaining at a caloric deficit. If you can do that, more power to you. Most people can't, and the obesity epidemic proves it.

Did you watch that video? My favorite slide in it is the one with the anti-obesity diet from the 1950's. It says you can eat as much of you want of all green vegetables and all fruits except bananas and grapes. I tend to agree with the idea that sugar is our biggest problem, but mainly added sugars, processed sugars, and refined carbs. Having fruit in your diet isn't going to make you obese, but added sugar certainly will.