Weight Loss Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just got a coupon for a free big mac every week for the rest of the year. Ive been eating mcdonalds burgurs without the bun lately for that pure keto lifestyle.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I make tacos for the kids all the time. What Ive been liking lately is buying some chopped salad mix and just mixing in the taco meat in the salad mix with some hot sauce and cheese. Shit is good, keto friendly.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I make tacos for the kids all the time. What Ive been liking lately is buying some chopped salad mix and just mixing in the taco meat in the salad mix with some hot sauce and cheese. Shit is good, keto friendly.

Dude, make taco shells out of cheese. They are fucking amazing.

You just put some oil in the pan, let it get hot, then put shredded cheese (cheddar or some jack mix) in the bottom and let it melt into a circle. You can fold it up like a taco or eat it like a tostada.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
missioncarbbalanceb.jpg

mission_fajita_carb_balance_8ct_73731-07013__overlayimg.jpg

This is how you do tacos on keto.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have become a big fan of Romaine Lettuce as a taco shell substitute. It is along the lines of the salad you were constructing, but shell like in that you can shovel the good bits into your similar to a shell.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I get the La Tierra brand white corn shells. 4 g carb per shell. Usually just use one almost as if it were a slice of bread....make a big salad with taco meat, lots of veggies and then the shell scooping onto my fork. I get the crunchy and limit the carbs.
They were G's fave...low carb low salt.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So question/observation.

Ive started losing weight since the beginning of February. Was at 247, down to 230 as of Saturday. Nice slow steady decline due to eating better portions(and basically cutting chocolate out of my diet) and hiking. So I measured myself today and came in at 237.

Any ideas what could cause such a huge gain in weight in such short time? Diet didnt change in those few days. Is there anything that causes excess water/fluid retention? Second time Ive seen this happen, got down to 231 then went back up to 238 or so.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
So question/observation.

Ive started losing weight since the beginning of February. Was at 247, down to 230 as of Saturday. Nice slow steady decline due to eating better portions(and basically cutting chocolate out of my diet) and hiking. So I measured myself today and came in at 237.

Any ideas what could cause such a huge gain in weight in such short time? Diet didnt change in those few days. Is there anything that causes excess water/fluid retention? Second time Ive seen this happen, got down to 231 then went back up to 238 or so.

Are you weighing yourself at the same time every day?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So question/observation.

If you go low carb then you will lose a lot of water weight fast. Carbs hold onto glycogen/water in the muscles, no carbs and that glycogen/water gets released. Eat carbs again and you gain the weight back.

Regardless, weight loss is not linear, it's normal for it to go up and down.

Also like Zaide Zaide said times you weigh yourself also matter. I weigh less on the weekend because I am weighing myself at 9am instead of 7am as on the weekday.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I lost 20 lbs accidentally last month. Mainly by changing breakfast and lunch and eating almost no cheese. Then limiting beer to once a month.

I'm big on steaming stuff and some steamed vegetables (usually some combination of bok choy, mushrooms and green beans) and two eggs (sunny side up for maximum deliciousness) OR tofu and an avocado every morning did a lot. Lunches I've had a lot of Broccoli and meat stir fry with kimchi. Sometimes a little rice or quinoa with it or something. No more than a quart total.

Dinner I've always kept it light. Some yogurt and fruit or something maybe.

If I snack it's been some almonds or a few jolly ranchers if I really feel like I need something sweet.

Also keeping my normal exercise routine and tracking stuff in fitnesspal like I always do. 4x runs a week (5kx3 and 10k on Saturday morning) and calisthenics/isometric fitness at home.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I saw some of the back and forth on keto diets etc.. but jesus christ has it worked for me. Got up to ~200 (5'11) and was like NOPE. Went keto and haven't looked back. Dropped 24lbs in 2 months, feel super good, way less hungry and realized I was doing intermittent fasting by accident. Pretty much eat 1-2 meals a day and never feel hungry. Like some of the others i was never a big veggie eater but gonna start chugging kale shakes or something to get some green. Anyone have experience making Kale shakes and ways to make them even somewhat enjoyable? Was thinking of throwing some berries or some shit in it to add a bit of sweetness.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you go low carb then you will lose a lot of water weight fast. Carbs hold onto glycogen/water in the muscles, no carbs and that glycogen/water gets released. Eat carbs again and you gain the weight back.

Regardless, weight loss is not linear, it's normal for it to go up and down.

Also like Zaide Zaide said times you weigh yourself also matter. I weigh less on the weekend because I am weighing myself at 9am instead of 7am as on the weekday.
Interesting. I really wouldn't say I'm low carb, but I've certainly cut back on them with eating better portions and changing what i do eat.

As far as weighing myself i never consistently done it at around the same time. I do that going forward.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I saw some of the back and forth on keto diets etc.. but jesus christ has it worked for me. Got up to ~200 (5'11) and was like NOPE. Went keto and haven't looked back. Dropped 24lbs in 2 months, feel super good, way less hungry and realized I was doing intermittent fasting by accident. Pretty much eat 1-2 meals a day and never feel hungry. Like some of the others i was never a big veggie eater but gonna start chugging kale shakes or something to get some green. Anyone have experience making Kale shakes and ways to make them even somewhat enjoyable? Was thinking of throwing some berries or some shit in it to add a bit of sweetness.

Might fuck up your keto-ing if you start chucking berries (fairly sure they are too high in sugar to be used in most keto diets, but I'll let the experts chime in) into shakes without massaging the carbs out of other spots in your intake. Should look into Erythritol(sp?) as an additive. Sweetens and is keto-friendly, with super low caloric value. You may just want to grab some of that green additive stuff that is basically dehydrated kale/broccoli and mix it in with other things you are eating, since you've already used to a schedule for intake. Or just grab some multi vitamins that focus on plant-derived nutrients.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Fruit is fine for keto diets when you're looking to maintain your current weight, not lose weight.

Some people experience an insulin response to artificial sweeteners that are identical to the response for sugar. I ran into this problem and it took me months to figure out what was wrong and fix it.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I can't believe I missed this thread for so long!

Just wanted to share my experience eating low-carb, high fat. I've been on a low carb, high fat diet since April 10th, 2017 (just under a year at the time of this post). I've been in nutritional ketosis nearly that entire time.

I'm 43 and I started at a weight of 270lbs, (the heaviest I'd ever been) and I just weighed in at 178. I'm nearly in the best shape of my life. LCHF works better than anything I've ever tried to lose fat, and yeah, I've done most everything. It's been more sustainable than anything to date. Dudes! 92lbs in a year with no exercise! (If you're a fat fucker like I was it's awesome) I'll be adding a new exercise regime this year btw.

75% of my calories are from fat, 20% calories from protein and 5% from carbs. I've never exceeded 20-25g of net carbs.

I like many people my age were indoctrinated into a way of eating that was pushed on the American populous for a variety of reasons; not the least of which was bad science and politics. Over the past year and a half I've dedicated myself to learning everything I could about the "how's and why's" of this type of eating. All I can say about what I've learned is that I'm never going back to the way I used to eat. Eating carbs is not for me any longer.

I've performed 3 lipid profiles of the past year (2 requested by my GP) and one on my own dime. Each time the overall cholesterol numbers dropped and the ratio of HDL and TRIG improved. My blood pressure is now stable at 114/74. (I've also "unscientifically" tracked my pulse rate each day over the past year and it's gone from an average normal resting rate of 78bpm to 66bpm)

I've had to supplement with K, Mg, Na, Ca, BComplex, D3, MCT and a few others, but other than that I get what I need from what I'm eating now.

Pic for the curious: (Before pic was April of last year, the after is from January)
Keto Face Gains Update Sm.jpg
If you're on the fence about eating this way, jump down! It can be the difference you might need to drop fat from your body! If anyone wants to know the benefits and affects it's had just let me know!

• 4Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Look like a new man, congrats - Adding weight training, you look like you've got a good frame for a adding some muscle.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I can't believe I missed this thread for so long!

Just wanted to share my experience eating low-carb, high fat. I've been on a low carb, high fat diet since April 10th, 2017 (just under a year at the time of this post). I've been in nutritional ketosis nearly that entire time.

I'm 43 and I started at a weight of 270lbs, (the heaviest I'd ever been) and I just weighed in at 178. I'm nearly in the best shape of my life. LCHF works better than anything I've ever tried to lose fat, and yeah, I've done most everything. It's been more sustainable than anything to date. Dudes! 92lbs in a year with no exercise! (If you're a fat fucker like I was it's awesome) I'll be adding a new exercise regime this year btw.

75% of my calories are from fat, 20% calories from protein and 5% from carbs. I've never exceeded 20-25g of net carbs.

I like many people my age were indoctrinated into a way of eating that was pushed on the American populous for a variety of reasons; not the least of which was bad science and politics. Over the past year and a half I've dedicated myself to learning everything I could about the "how's and why's" of this type of eating. All I can say about what I've learned is that I'm never going back to the way I used to eat. Eating carbs is not for me any longer.

I've performed 3 lipid profiles of the past year (2 requested by my GP) and one on my own dime. Each time the overall cholesterol numbers dropped and the ratio of HDL and TRIG improved. My blood pressure is now stable at 114/74. (I've also "unscientifically" tracked my pulse rate each day over the past year and it's gone from an average normal resting rate of 78bpm to 66bpm)

I've had to supplement with K, Mg, Na, Ca, BComplex, D3, MCT and a few others, but other than that I get what I need from what I'm eating now.

Pic for the curious: (Before pic was April of last year, the after is from January)
View attachment 164471
If you're on the fence about eating this way, jump down! It can be the difference you might need to drop fat from your body! If anyone wants to know the benefits and affects it's had just let me know!

What's your meal planning look like in general? I've been reading a lot on dieting only because a minor change in what I eat two months ago dropped me 20lbs. I'm 31 and I've been out of the Army for 8 years. Having a desk job has caused me to gain 10-20lbs over approximately 5 years of being more sedentary than I was in the past but generally eating well. So now I am back down to 212 which was my best shape weight although I am not in that kind of shape now. Just weigh the same.

I have a few diet weaknesses I am training myself away from. But limiting a few things to once a week/month is the plan. My biggest problem is that my favorite food in the world is noodles. Now I stick to noodles only once every couple weeks and I only eat GreeNoodle or Shirataki Noodles. As it is 99% about the texture for me on them.