Weight Loss Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i'm thinking about trying the ketogenic diet when i'm done with chemotherapy in a few months, not for weight loss, but because it's one of the few alternative cancer treatments that seems to actually have some scientific merit to it.

the only issue is i am on a MAJOR budget. and most of the keto guides i've found online seem pretty costly.

any ideas, fellas? i assume this is the best thread to ask in

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
i'm thinking about trying the ketogenic diet when i'm done with chemotherapy in a few months, not for weight loss, but because it's one of the few alternative cancer treatments that seems to actually have some scientific merit to it.

the only issue is i am on a MAJOR budget. and most of the keto guides i've found online seem pretty costly.

any ideas, fellas? i assume this is the best thread to ask in

I'd ask in the cooking thread. Lots of guys on Keto that look there.

As far as initially, eggs. Eggs are cheap as shit and give you lots of fat and protein. They are also really filling. Peanut butter is another good one. It is higher in carbs then most things, but it is really hard to even eat 2 tablespoons of natural, sugar-free peanut butter, let alone more.

LiquidDeath

I saw some of the back and forth on keto diets etc.. but jesus christ has it worked for me. Got up to ~200 (5'11) and was like NOPE. Went keto and haven't looked back. Dropped 24lbs in 2 months, feel super good, way less hungry and realized I was doing intermittent fasting by accident. Pretty much eat 1-2 meals a day and never feel hungry. Like some of the others i was never a big veggie eater but gonna start chugging kale shakes or something to get some green. Anyone have experience making Kale shakes and ways to make them even somewhat enjoyable? Was thinking of throwing some berries or some shit in it to add a bit of sweetness.

Any particular reason you are looking to get more greens? If you are mainly eating meat and doing fine, I wouldn't fuck with it. The Carnivore diet is starting to gain traction and there is some decent science coming out that we may not need greens if we aren't eating carbs.

As for sweetness, I use liquid stevia since it is non-caloric, doesn't spike insulin, and is cheap-ish at Walmart. For after dinner snacking I make home-made whipped cream with vanilla and stevia to go with strawberries and it doesn't knock me out of keto. It is, of course, something you'll need to experiment with since it is different for everyone.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I went from 160 to 140 in about 4 weeks. Limited myself to 700 calories 5 days a week. On Friday's I would eat whatever I wanted, Tuesdays I would have a large but light dinner (usually grilled chicken). Every other day was protein bars/shakes, plain kale, and maybe some bread. Worked well for me, the first couple days I was starving but after that it wasn't that bad. Your stomach shrinks very quickly, and having 1 day a week where I basically ate an entire pizza kept my metabolism from going too low.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I can't believe I missed this thread for so long!

Just wanted to share my experience eating low-carb, high fat. I've been on a low carb, high fat diet since April 10th, 2017 (just under a year at the time of this post). I've been in nutritional ketosis nearly that entire time.

I'm 43 and I started at a weight of 270lbs, (the heaviest I'd ever been) and I just weighed in at 178. I'm nearly in the best shape of my life. LCHF works better than anything I've ever tried to lose fat, and yeah, I've done most everything. It's been more sustainable than anything to date. Dudes! 92lbs in a year with no exercise! (If you're a fat fucker like I was it's awesome) I'll be adding a new exercise regime this year btw.

75% of my calories are from fat, 20% calories from protein and 5% from carbs. I've never exceeded 20-25g of net carbs.

I like many people my age were indoctrinated into a way of eating that was pushed on the American populous for a variety of reasons; not the least of which was bad science and politics. Over the past year and a half I've dedicated myself to learning everything I could about the "how's and why's" of this type of eating. All I can say about what I've learned is that I'm never going back to the way I used to eat. Eating carbs is not for me any longer.

I've performed 3 lipid profiles of the past year (2 requested by my GP) and one on my own dime. Each time the overall cholesterol numbers dropped and the ratio of HDL and TRIG improved. My blood pressure is now stable at 114/74. (I've also "unscientifically" tracked my pulse rate each day over the past year and it's gone from an average normal resting rate of 78bpm to 66bpm)

I've had to supplement with K, Mg, Na, Ca, BComplex, D3, MCT and a few others, but other than that I get what I need from what I'm eating now.

Pic for the curious: (Before pic was April of last year, the after is from January)
View attachment 164471
If you're on the fence about eating this way, jump down! It can be the difference you might need to drop fat from your body! If anyone wants to know the benefits and affects it's had just let me know!

Hate to ask, did you have any significant issues with excess skin?

Amazing work though, it is surreal seeing before and after pics. It looks like a different person.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I can't believe I missed this thread for so long!

Just wanted to share my experience eating low-carb, high fat. I've been on a low carb, high fat diet since April 10th, 2017 (just under a year at the time of this post). I've been in nutritional ketosis nearly that entire time.

I'm 43 and I started at a weight of 270lbs, (the heaviest I'd ever been) and I just weighed in at 178. I'm nearly in the best shape of my life. LCHF works better than anything I've ever tried to lose fat, and yeah, I've done most everything. It's been more sustainable than anything to date. Dudes! 92lbs in a year with no exercise! (If you're a fat fucker like I was it's awesome) I'll be adding a new exercise regime this year btw.

75% of my calories are from fat, 20% calories from protein and 5% from carbs. I've never exceeded 20-25g of net carbs.

I like many people my age were indoctrinated into a way of eating that was pushed on the American populous for a variety of reasons; not the least of which was bad science and politics. Over the past year and a half I've dedicated myself to learning everything I could about the "how's and why's" of this type of eating. All I can say about what I've learned is that I'm never going back to the way I used to eat. Eating carbs is not for me any longer.

I've performed 3 lipid profiles of the past year (2 requested by my GP) and one on my own dime. Each time the overall cholesterol numbers dropped and the ratio of HDL and TRIG improved. My blood pressure is now stable at 114/74. (I've also "unscientifically" tracked my pulse rate each day over the past year and it's gone from an average normal resting rate of 78bpm to 66bpm)

I've had to supplement with K, Mg, Na, Ca, BComplex, D3, MCT and a few others, but other than that I get what I need from what I'm eating now.

Pic for the curious: (Before pic was April of last year, the after is from January)
View attachment 164471
If you're on the fence about eating this way, jump down! It can be the difference you might need to drop fat from your body! If anyone wants to know the benefits and affects it's had just let me know!

Well done! I did much the same (albeit a little more extreme where I was low carb and relatively low fat but certainly more fat than carb) and lost my 100lb. I stopped. I've not put the weight back on but didn't lose any more either I went from 311 or so to 218. I hover from 220-225 for the last year, was 222 this AM. I do eat carbs here and there, but no where near what I used to. I think at the very most I might hit 75g in a day. I eat a ton of vegetables, chicken, seafood, and meats. Love my coffee with heavy whipping cream in it. Cut out 100% of sweets.

But yeah, that diet also changed my life. No more type 2 (A1c from 6.7 to 4.8), no more CPAP, no more foot pain, exercising is super easy now, and eating fast food is genuinely fucking disgusting (I ate a couple fries when I was starving and in a pinch, and after about 5 or so I just decided to starve...)

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Joined a biggest loser contest at work, official weigh in to start was 227 lbs. Will run until August, should be some neat prizes, a little salty it couldn't happen before I just lost 40 lbs, but actually pretty excited for some additional motivation. Up till now I hadn't restricted how much I ate, just what I ate, so I'm gonna start watching portions, and I'm ready to start back up at the gym. I had originally set my goal at 220 by this July, so I think my new overall goal will be 190 by December.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Any particular reason you are looking to get more greens? If you are mainly eating meat and doing fine, I wouldn't fuck with it. The Carnivore diet is starting to gain traction and there is some decent science coming out that we may not need greens if we aren't eating carbs.

Why on earth would you question someone that wants to eat more greens? See this is the problem when people see success on low carb diets, vegetables get seen as bad, even greens which are probably the lowest calorie per volume food out there

Yeah some of the previous discussion has gone OTT. I recognize that keto is a valid starting point for weight loss and effective for many, therefore I have no issue with people here using it.

I do take issue with the idea that carbs make you fat, that vegetables and to a lesser extent fruit are to be avoided. I also think that when target weight loss is achieved then carbs can be gradually reintroduced (obviously not talking about pizza and junk food- besides it's the total calories and the low quality fats that contribute to weight gain from junk food)

I also take extreme issue with passionate keto advocates actively trying to persuade people not to eat vegetables.

Let's just have a bit more respect for people's food choices and less zealotry

Janx Janx try spinach leaves, just blend them up in a shake or something

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Why on earth would you question someone that wants to eat more greens? See this is the problem when people see success on low carb diets, vegetables get seen as bad, even greens which are probably the lowest calorie per volume food out there

Yeah some of the previous discussion has gone OTT. I recognize that keto is a valid starting point for weight loss and effective for many, therefore I have no issue with people here using it.

I do take issue with the idea that carbs make you fat, that vegetables and to a lesser extent fruit are to be avoided. I also think that when target weight loss is achieved then carbs can be gradually reintroduced (obviously not talking about pizza and junk food- besides it's the total calories and the low quality fats that contribute to weight gain from junk food)

I also take extreme issue with passionate keto advocates actively trying to persuade people not to eat vegetables.

Let's just have a bit more respect for people's food choices and less zealotry

Janx Janx try spinach leaves, just blend them up in a shake or something

I agree with you completely that the other conversations got off topic and that we should stick to food. I also have done a lot more research and have moderated my position quite a bit. I agree with you that keto/lchf is not for everyone. In fact, my new position is to suggest trying it to people who really want to get healthy but also advise them that it isn't for everyone, that a diet high in good carbs can achieve similar results, and to check with their doctor before making any substantial changes in their diet.

As far as the vegetables comment, I'm not wholesale telling people not to eat greens. I eat a shitload of them myself. Janx Janx specifically said he was doing great eating mostly meat and was actively working on forcing more greens into his diet. In that case, it doesn't seem out of bounds to suggest that fucking with a diet that is working may not be necessary and that there are plenty of healthy people who only eat meat.

Additionally, people on this board aren't morons. If he is interested in the idea, there are plenty of places for more research. I doubt that he happened on keto without any research and once you've gone there and realized most of the information we've been fed our entire lives about health is bullshit, you start wondering what else we've been told is bullshit. Like how bad it is for you not to eat greens.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Down from ~200 to 162 as of this morning on pretty much the same diet but did add a decent amount of broccoli in. Doing IF not on purpose just because I'm not hungry. Generally eat a small lunch and a 'normal' size dinner. Some broc, burgers and avacodo and good to go.

• 1Like

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
The day after Christmas my wife died from cancer she was only 43. Knowing I needed to be around for our 7 year old son i did a 180 and dropped all my bad habits so far I have gone from 315 to 242 (73lbs) is less than 5 months.

I was eating fast food 5 times a week or more and drinking 2-3 cases of beer a week. Now i never eat fast food and limit my drinking to no more than once a month.

I try to never drink my calories and eat as few empty carbs as possible every morning I have 1% fat cottage cheese and lunch is usually 2 cans of sardines, 4 boiled eggs or chicken breast with veggies. For dinner I eat like everyone else I just try to be mindful of empty carbs and calories. I also try to make it a point to everyday eat a funky color veggie like sweet potato or egg plant and to eat an avocado every other day.

I am also lifting weights now 3.5X a week and walking with my kids on the off days from the gym.

• 15Like
Reactions: 14 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
320lbs, 48.8% Bodyfat.

That's what I was told when I went to join a gym and did a fitness assessment.

I got a personal trainer. Time to fix some of this shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Got a good slaw dressing for those of you on keto....

4tbs mayo
1tbs cider vinegar
1tbs lemon juice
2.5-3 packets of blue sweetener

You can add more vinegar to taste. Also I add shit like a bit of onion powder, garlic powder, and of course salt and fresh ground pepper. Mix it up and add slaw mix, then let it sit for a few hours.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Put together a comparison shot of my weight loss progress this morning. My original goal was 185 pounds. It's time to set a new goal. Feeling pretty awesome these days. Best I've felt in my adult life.

36587385_10155638855766167_5818393986892562432_n.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Rydizzle

<Bronze Donator>
Just want to chime in about keto and IF (intermittent fasting) I started early March at roughly 265lbs, as of this morning I was 210lbs.

I was super lazy about it, I've been to the gym twice during the entire 4 month period, and have only done casual walking around my neighborhood at night a few times a week (appx 3 miles round trip). I'm sure I could have done much better if I was more active and consistent with my gym activities.

In case anyone is unsure about it because people have told them that you need carbs, you really don't and can do it. I have never felt better in my life, and it's not just because of the weight loss, it's also because I don't feel sluggish or tired after any meals at all, I have tons of energy also. Really the only downside is to drink enough water and make sure you get your electrolytes. You also have to obviously with any diet, restrict calories. Just additionally keep carbs under 20g per day.

It's also not expensive. It's super cheap to go buy a 1lb tube of hamburger meat (73/27) and just put seasoning on it with some veggies and an avacado. Obviously you can go all out and make glorious steak dinners all day, but things like ground beef, eggs, bacon and broccoli/cauliflower are your basic Staples.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So...multi thread post but mostly about health...

Wife and I are trying for Child 2 and that combined with a Triglyceride score of 389 on my last physical got me into working out and weight loss.

1530652709837.png

1530652733980.png

I started at about 195 and change. I didn't want to touch 200, mainly as a personal choice. As referenced by the triglycerides numbers, my eating habits were and...for the most part...have always been shit.

My diet basically goes as such:

Morning -- Coffee 11 oz, Creamer 2 tbsp (80 Cal), Breakfast as needed (Oatmeal or Eggs)​
Lunch -- Smoothie (No protein / additives)​
Dinner -- Something from Skinnytaste usually around 200-400 Cal.​
Snacks -- Randomly from (1cup Sugar Snap peas, 1-2 Servings of Dry Roasted, 1 60 cal beef snack.)​
Meds -- 1x Mens Multi, 1x 1400 mg Fish Oil, randomly tums​
I am ultra tracking everything here and there is little deviation aside from friday night which is basically my "Free" night but i prep during the day for it and keep snacks to a minimum.

1530651837815.png

BMI numbers are a bit off, I weighed 182 @ 6ft1in but she weighted me with my clothes.

She didn't measure my waist either. I don't think I was 37 last time, my pant size hasn't changed from 32-33 in years. Had a muffin top goin for a bit but mainly on my sides.

My goal is 160 and change, smack in the middle of my recommended BMI but that number is flexible.

---

My long term goal is more muscle related and running related, someone posted a training sheet for a police department and I can't TOUCH running for 10 + minutes.

I can treadmill speed walk (3.5-4 MPH) forever but I can't run (8-10 MPH) for more than about .2-.25 Miles before my right side lower rib starts getting pain. Other than the "Side stitch" I think it's called, the rest of my body seems fine at .25 miles. I'm TRYING to increase that number (the distance / time I'm at 8-10 MPH) but it doesn't really want to budge. I usually go for a total of about 2-4 miles @ 3.5 and .6-.8 miles @ 8-10.

For lifting, I can't bench-press shit. I've been doing other machines aimed at shoulders, biceps, quads and whatever the fuck is the muscle at the bottom / back of the leg.

Looking for feedback on strength training and how I should approach it, I never was into working out and most of the shit I find online is nearly helpless. Shit like, "Do X excercise, then Z, then B!" and it's not helpful. Should I be doing X til I'm tired? How do I find my baseline? Whats better for developing muscle, more weight or more reps?

Basically I've been rotating between machines. Shoulders (40 Lbs) -- Biceps (40 Lbs) -- Legs (60-70 Lbs) -- Shoulders... 10x reps each 3 sets minimum. ATM I've been hitting my minimum and no further.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Here's a great write-up about building a solid workout routine. I've pulled out the most relevant bit below, but it's worth a read. It goes into how many sets/reps, and the kinds of exercises. Really, it's a fantastic site all around.

How to Build Your Own Workout Routine | Nerd Fitness

Yes, this means you can develop a full body routine that uses only four or five exercises.
Hows THAT for efficiency!
Here is a quick breakdown on those movements:
  • Quadssquats, lunges, one legged squats, box jumps.
  • Butt and Hamstrings – hip raises, deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, good mornings, step ups.
  • Push (chest, shoulders, and triceps) overhead press, bench press, incline dumbbell press, push ups, dips.
  • Pull (back, biceps, and forearms)chin ups, pull ups, bodyweight rows, dumbbell rows.
  • Core (abs and lower back) – planks, side planks, exercise ball crunches, mountain climbers, jumping knee tucks, hanging leg raises.
Pick one exercise from each category above for a workout, and you’ll work almost every single muscle in your body. These are just a few examples for what you can do, but you really don’t need to make things more complicated than this.

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
So, I've been working out 3-5x a week for a month. 90% weight trainining. (10min of cardio warm up, weights, 10min of cardio post weights)

2 sessions a week with my trainer

I've increased weight on every single machine by 10lbs minimum so far, and even that is getting kinda easy now.

We haven't done new measurements since my initial ones before I started. Trainer has forbidden me from even stepping foot on a scale.

The results I can see:
My face is thinning out
I can move up and down my stairs at home with ease (this was a challenge before, especially down)
I can flex my arm and actually see muscle move (more a function of fat reduction than actual muscle build up, imho)
I can rack a 5u server (IT guys knows what these weigh) with ease by myself now which was a feat that required assistance before
I'm not taking naps
I JUST PLAIN FUCKING FEEL BETTER

So, even though I dont have numbers to back me up really; I'm seeing what I wanted.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users