Weight Loss Thread

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
So, I've been working out 3-5x a week for a month. 90% weight trainining. (10min of cardio warm up, weights, 10min of cardio post weights)

2 sessions a week with my trainer

I've increased weight on every single machine by 10lbs minimum so far, and even that is getting kinda easy now.

We haven't done new measurements since my initial ones before I started. Trainer has forbidden me from even stepping foot on a scale.

The results I can see:
My face is thinning out
I can move up and down my stairs at home with ease (this was a challenge before, especially down)
I can flex my arm and actually see muscle move (more a function of fat reduction than actual muscle build up, imho)
I can rack a 5u server (IT guys knows what these weigh) with ease by myself now which was a feat that required assistance before
I'm not taking naps
I JUST PLAIN FUCKING FEEL BETTER

So, even though I dont have numbers to back me up really; I'm seeing what I wanted.

The crazy health part for me was I was chewing thru tums on the daily, sometimes 2+ a day and lately I haven't needed more than maybe 1/2 if I do something stupid like working out AFTER eating. Not to mention actually feeling muscle when I push into my belly fat or into my chicken bone arms.

I really need to stick with a strength training regimen. Mainly I've just been working my biceps and doing presses sub 100lbs. I basically had the biceps of a meth-head without the benefit of ever having done meth so I was working from a hard 0 point. Basically my entire life I was screwing up pushups and basically was doing wide arm pushups.

ATM I'm just thrilled I got my mile under control. Did 3 miles in 38 minutes and I'm thrilled on that. Did 2.65 miles the other day on a 30 minute. I would Like to get to a 3 mile 30 minute and it seems like it is getting there.

Down from 195 to 175~ and working thru week 8 right now. I've been using a semi-handholdy service called Omada because of free money on my wifes job. The overly energetic posts from the "trainer" are comically sad but the service is kinda cool in that it tracks everything. I think once I'm done with the free money part of it I'll just switch to a scale that syncs with my phone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Finally under 220, down from a high of 247/248 since February.

2019.jpg

Had to basically stop hiking as im not a masochist. Would probably weigh a pound or two less but in the past month and a half ive really started lifting. No big gains but starting to get the beginning of some definition, especially in the shoulders.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wife and I have been doing keto for about a month now, I've lost ~10 lbs, 20 for the year. I haven't been super strict or started workouts yet. Cut down my beer drinking, usually just on Saturday now. I'm noticeably less tired now, I haven't been doing daily caffeine since I started. That wasn't a goal it just sort of happened, I realized I hadn't had any since I did a long night drive like a week before. I've been sleeping better too.

I'm not really one to do diets so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but it has been easy. Fuck sugar and bread~

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Almost hit the 50lb lost mark on Keto. People at work are starting to wonder if I have cancer (shaving my head with clippers and no guard didnt help). Went from 200 > 152 atm. Crazy thats how much garbage I was carrying around on my frame (had always been skinny till desk job + older + shit eating habits). Kind of wish I took a before / after pic.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Almost hit the 50lb lost mark on Keto. People at work are starting to wonder if I have cancer (shaving my head with clippers and no guard didnt help). Went from 200 > 152 atm. Crazy thats how much garbage I was carrying around on my frame (had always been skinny till desk job + older + shit eating habits). Kind of wish I took a before / after pic.

So I gotta ask, if you had love handles before starting, have you noticed them going away or disappearing?

I have had a bitch of a time so far getting rid of mine, like i am losing weight from everywhere BUT my stomach. To combat this, I've added in a bit more ab based work-outs lately but I don't expect to see results for a bit. I know I have muscles under the fat but I've still got about...I dunno 1/2 an inch / 1 cm of fat on my gut and about the same on my sides that I want to cut down if possible.

A snip from Omada:

1532975866784.png

LOL you can basically see the weekends in my losses...

This weekend was another one but honestly I've just been running on the residuals today.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
So I gotta ask, if you had love handles before starting, have you noticed them going away or disappearing?

I have had a bitch of a time so far getting rid of mine, like i am losing weight from everywhere BUT my stomach. To combat this, I've added in a bit more ab based work-outs lately but I don't expect to see results for a bit. I know I have muscles under the fat but I've still got about...I dunno 1/2 an inch / 1 cm of fat on my gut and about the same on my sides that I want to cut down if possible.

A snip from Omada:

View attachment 172083

This weekend was another one but honestly I've just been running on the residuals today.
Yeah man for sure. The love handles are SLOWLY going away but there still some fat around the midriff. No where near what it was though.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I have had a bitch of a time so far getting rid of mine, like i am losing weight from everywhere BUT my stomach. To combat this, I've added in a bit more ab based work-outs lately
A snip from Omada:

You can't speed up fat loss in an area by doing weights on that area. When the scale goes down 1lb that is because you lost 1lb from your entire body. Doing extra arm curls won't speed up fat loss on the arms, same for abs and the stomach.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

A snip from Omada:

View attachment 172083

You can't target fat loss without liposuction, your body loses fat where it wants to and no exercise or therapy I've ever seen will change it, it seems to be genetic. You have to keep losing weight until your problem areas are gone. The "lucky" people are the ones without problem areas, they are just kinda normal everywhere. You can see really skinny people that still have kind of a stomach gut. Nothing you can do about this, it's your body, own it. Or keep losing more weight.

• 2Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
You can't speed up fat loss in an area by doing weights on that area. When the scale goes down 1lb that is because you lost 1lb from your entire body. Doing extra arm curls won't speed up fat loss on the arms, same for abs and the stomach.

You can't target fat loss without liposuction, your body loses fat where it wants to and no exercise or therapy I've ever seen will change it, it seems to be genetic. You have to keep losing weight until your problem areas are gone. The "lucky" people are the ones without problem areas, they are just kinda normal everywhere. You can see really skinny people that still have kind of a stomach gut. Nothing you can do about this, it's your body, own it. Or keep losing more weight.

Good to know, I guess it isn't all for naught, I've been doing crunches between lifting sets at the gym and my abs feel good and I actually need to up my reps again, last few workouts having been really "Hard" more so as they have been longer in duration.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Good to know, I guess it isn't all for naught, I've been doing crunches between lifting sets at the gym and my abs feel good and I actually need to up my reps again, last few workouts having been really "Hard" more so as they have been longer in duration.

Nothing wrong with doing ab workouts and core work as this is only beneficial. However, visible abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

• 1Solidarity

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
However, visible abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym

Have any suggestions?

I'm working on about 1200ish Cals a day, I likely should be eating more since I am working dailyish at this point (Walking at least 2 miles on the day to day and doing strength / core alternating).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Have any suggestions?

I'm working on about 1200ish Cals a day, I likely should be eating more since I am working dailyish at this point (Walking at least 2 miles on the day to day and doing strength / core alternating).

Ironically you probably need to eat a little more, 1200 is way too low for a man, especially an active one.

Eat a little more and then go burn it off - including lifting. Thats the difference between someone who is lean and ripped and someone who looks like a skinnyfat concentration camp victim. The lean and ripped person eats more, and burns it. The meth user is just skinny, but not particularly athletic or lean.

Get on a good lifting program and go lift 4 times a week. Do some cardio. Recomp your body. Don't starve yourself but just eat quality whole foods like eggs, chicken, broccoli, rice, and black beans.

Don't eat out.

• 1Solidarity

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
eat quality whole foods like eggs, chicken, broccoli, rice, and black beans.

Yeah my eating has been shit lately:

Breakfast?

Coffee light creamer

Lunch?

Depends, usually an all 100% juice / berry smoothie mix

Dinner?

Whatever we make for dinner, usually a healthy recipe.

Snack?

Depends, usually a protein bar or a veggie type thing.

---

I'll look into hitting your suggestions; I can do eggs but not hard boiled because that shit makes me hate life after a day. We usually buy chicken breasts from costco, may as well put them to use. When you say rice do you mean white or should I hit up some hipster bullshit like quinoa?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah my eating has been shit lately:

Breakfast?

Coffee light creamer

Lunch?

Depends, usually an all 100% juice / berry smoothie mix

Dinner?

Whatever we make for dinner, usually a healthy recipe.

Snack?

Depends, usually a protein bar or a veggie type thing.

---

I'll look into hitting your suggestions; I can do eggs but not hard boiled because that shit makes me hate life after a day. We usually buy chicken breasts from costco, may as well put them to use. When you say rice do you mean white or should I hit up some hipster bullshit like quinoa?

I eat white rice but you could do brown rice. You can eat carbs, just don't eat carb bombs like fruit smoothies.

Hell, you can eat a fucking hamburger, just don't eat the fries and drink the sugar drink along with it. A 500 calorie hamburger with 35g protein is a fine meal.

I try to think of all of my meals in terms of the calorie to protein ratio and try to keep that as high as possible. Eggs are great for this because they have a lot of protein for the amount of calories they have.

I'd just pick something you can tolerate and try to meal-plan those things all week and just eat it. Food is not for entertainment it's just for eating.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Food is not for entertainment it's just for eating.

On the day to day I 100% agree.

I'll check out what I can hammer down now that I'm out of "Weight Loss" territory and more inside "Body Build" territory now. Thanks for the pointers.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Have any suggestions?

You are starving yourself and you can increase calories considerably.

I'm 75kg 5'11, 12-13% body fat and cutting on 1800-2000, admittedly I workout 5x a week and aim for 10k steps a day but 1200 is teenage girl territory

• 1Solidarity

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
A month or so back I started watching the videos of Simnett Nutrition and NutritionFacts.org and said what the hell I will give a plant based diet a shot.

I eat only plants about 4 out of 5 meals and so far I have been really pleased with the results. I am down 10 more lbs since starting and I was worried I would not get enough protein for weight lifting but that has not been the case.

On a typical day I eat a smoothy for breakfast which is made up of 4 cups of spinach, 1 banana, 1 cup of blue berry's, 1 squirt of organic cold pressed flax seed oil and two scoops of vivo life plant protein. Lunch and dinner always have roasted veggies and loads of beans.

• 2Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
This Guy Lost 15kg On The Ice Cream Diet, And It's Not Great

"2,000 calories a day of ice cream, 500 calories a day of protein supplements, and a bit of recreational alcohol. Nothing more. Nothing less. For 100 days.

We can now report that Howard-Crow survived the diet. Some might even call it a success, in that he lost 15 kilograms, and saw improvements in his blood work

His goal was to show that calories matter more than anything else for weight loss—more than macronutrients (carbs, protein, fat), more than exercise, more than when you eat or how many times you chew your food or whatever else the cool kids are talking about these days. If he could go from 88 to 73 kilograms in 14 weeks while eating dessert at every meal, then it’s impossible to argue, as many do, that calories don’t matter.

But the scariest part, Howard-Crow says, was seeing how much muscle he lost. The 32 pounds he lost included a lot of muscle. “I was still not extremely lean,” he says.

The muscle loss was due to three factors: First, and possibly most important, he quit working out when his energy and ambition cratered. Second, he was eating below his maintenance level—which was of course the point of the experiment. Third, he estimates he was eating just 120 grams of protein a day; someone trying to maintain muscle on a weight-loss diet is typically advised to eat one gram per pound of target body weight.

Although he didn’t have a specific target weight in mind—again, the point of the project was to lower calories and see what happened—120 grams a day wouldn’t have been nearly enough protein to prevent muscle loss."

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Checking in here so that, if nothing else, I can look back with shame if I don't follow through.

I'm 49, 5'8", and last month at my doctor visit I weighed the most I ever have, roughly 200 lbs. My cholesterol and A1c have been a matter of concern for the last few years now, and it was always easier to just take the pills (metformin, lipitor) and pretend that I'd eat better. Except I never did. My downfalls are many, but between being addicted to fast food and being a ridiculously lazy and shitty cook (sometimes my dinner is literally just Top Ramen, or mac & cheese), I haven't improved anything, and have even worsened a few. Oh, and I'm single, in case you were wondering how I get away with a Top Ramen dinner. Most chicks I've dated frown upon that.

So I started the keto diet on Monday. This first week was just to feel it out and see what kind of things worked for me and what didn't. I haven't specifically counted portions or calories, but next week I will start. I'm a big fan of eggs, meat, and cheese, so those are going to be my staples, along with veggies of course. I actually really love broccoli and green beans. I don't get up in the morning until I absolutely have to, so my prep is all done the night before. But one thing I've found that is a real godsend is a microwave omelet cooker. It works fucking great, and I just load up a container with the fixings and 2 eggs the night before, and then nuke it for a few minutes at work. Not quite as good as a Denny's omelet, but it works, and it gets me away from the hard-boiled egg boredom that inevitably kicks in every time I try to bring food. Oh, and of course lots of bacon.

One thing I've already discovered after only 4.5 days, even without counting calories precisely, is that I'm not getting enough fat vs. protein. Practically everything I eat has near equivalent fat and protein grams. Except for drowning my veggies in butter, I'm just not getting enough fat vs. protein to eventually enter ketosis, I assume anyway. I'll know better next week when I keep track. But from eye-balling it, I'm not close. Part of my problem is that I hate mayo, sour cream, and avocados...all the things people would add to food to up their fat content. I wish I could just make myself like avocados, because that would virtually solve my problem by itself, but I am having a hard time. I'm trying though.

Point being, any suggestions on other things that might help get the fat up? Outside of drinking coconut oil or butter straight. That sounds like a recipe for explosive diarrhea to me.

Anyway, like I said, this is mainly just a post to remind me that I need to stay on this shit and not let it slide like every other "cut back" time I've tried. I've never specifically done a diet before, and I have always been of the opinion that any diet that makes you cut out anything completely is dumb, but I clearly don't possess the willpower to just sorta diet. And, most importantly, keto will supposedly help my impending diabetes more than any other diet will, and I'm really getting concerned about that. My grandfather died of it back in the 70s, before people really knew how to deal with it, and my dad developed it (Type II of course) maybe 15 years ago. So, the tracks are running straight off a cliff if I don't do something to change my behavior. I don't intend to be on keto the rest of my life, but hopefully this will allow me to drop weight and remedy my issues, and teach me some better eating habits that will carry over into a more normal lifestyle in a year or two.

I don't know that I have specific goals besides cratering my A1c and cholesterol numbers, but anything below 160 lbs. would thrill me. I was the same height when I graduated high school, and I was about 140 lbs. of pretty decent muscle. I took second place in my weight class for the school power lifting event, including deadlifting 350 lbs. I used to squat 275 or so max, and leg press I could do massive weights for my size. The football players used to joke that I should be pressing volkswagens. Never was overpowering upper-body-wise, but I think I got close to 200 on bench. Not positive, but that's why I lost the power lifting competition, the guy that beat me did a lot less on deadlift, but crushed me on bench and military I think it was. Whatever the other lift was, it wasn't legs. Anyway, point being, I am in absolutely shitty shape now and don't expect to get anywhere near that physique or weight, but I know it is at least possible from a theoretical standpoint. My shoulders kill me now, my knees ache and pop, etc. Hopefully losing some weight will ease some of that and allow me to get back to doing things I used to love, like squats. I fucking loved squats, and it makes me sad to think about it. I still have "The Squat" poem printed out from when it was first published in Muscle & Fitness, except it's in a drawer now :(

Kind of rambled like I tend to do, but thanks for listening. I've read the last several years of posts in this thread and got a lot of great info, so thanks to everyone that has contributed over the years. Hopefully I stick with it and can report back periodically with some successes. And if anyone has a magical way to eat more fat without it being avocados, sour cream, etc. let me know!