Weight Loss Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
jesus fucking christ, second paragraph and you're already playing the "bad science" fallacy card

From the @CaloriesProper post on the study:

" 2. This was a very expensive study. They used great methods. " The carb/insulin model of obesity was tested again, and it fared better this time.

Yeah, thanks for admitting you don't understand the very theory you're epousing. According to their carbs spike insulin LEVELS, and insulin = fat gain

Ahh

a) literally nobody is arguing that fat people should be allowed bread
b) Didn't you say earlier " The "you" in that phrase was the royal you. As in, if you are reading this sentence then I am talking to you. " OK so you assume we are all obese

Just fuck off you've been smashed into the ground and you're an absolute moron who doesn't understand what it is he's posting

Right.

I'll let the people judge after reading your barely comprehensible writing and partial quotations to attack my statements out of context.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Right.

I'll let the people judge after reading your barely comprehensible writing and partial quotations to attack my statements out of context.

Yeah, I'm sure they're looking at this thread and my photos thinking "gee liquid death really knows more about fat loss, hypertrophy and fitness than Ossoi" rofl

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Screenshot_20200617-144825.png

Weight down again and that's after I ate two homemade burger buns with butter at midnight last night in an unplanned addition to my days meal plan

Was surprised at this morning's weight loss although one carb heavy refeed can often mean a drop the following day

Just ate the last bun with 230g 20% fat beef smashed burgers and layers of bacon and onion candy

IMG_20200617_144003.jpg

Admittedly this isn't my regular diet for weight loss and I'll make sure the following meals balance it out

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Anyone have suggestions for lunch replacement shakes? Was thinking of trying.

Right now breakfast is easy to knock out a low cal high protein meal. Dinner is doable. I havent been able to find good options for lunch. Was thinking maybe of trying to have a shake and a snack during the day. I tried doing some protein shakes but I just cant find a good option for flavor. Nothing is worse than chugging down a vanilla or chocolate shake for lunch.

Anyone have suggestions for better flavors that are filling. Mot days I skip lunch but thats just not the best for me.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider

Right now breakfast is easy to knock out a low cal high protein meal. Dinner is doable. I havent been able to find good options for lunch. Was thinking maybe of trying to have a shake and a snack during the day. I tried doing some protein shakes but I just cant find a good option for flavor. Nothing is worse than chugging down a vanilla or chocolate shake for lunch.

Anyone have suggestions for better flavors that are filling. Mot days I skip lunch but thats just not the best for me.

Do you drink coffee? I recently started filling one shaker bottle full and putting it in the fridge at work. Then on my lunch break I mix a scoop of chocolate protein powder in. I like coffee and it makes it more enjoyable for me.

Count me in as someone with Carb intolerance. It doesn't make me fatter but it causes massive bloat for me. A weekend of beer and pizza will have me over 8lbs heavier Monday morning only to be back to my fighting weight by Thursday if watch my carb intake. It was frustrating at first because even if I keep my calorie count low I will still get massive bloat from higher carbs. I love beer though...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
A weekend of beer and pizza causing you to gain weight doesn't make you "carb intolerant" gentleman...

"I can't believe I'm heavier this morning. All I did was eat pizza and drink beer all weekend"

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

yes, Ketochow.

Its how i've been doing keto on and off for months now because its so easy, hassle free and filling. They also have like 20 different flavors. I make 12 at a time in 24oz mason jars and they are there waiting for me in the fridge usually twice a day. I drink coffee w/ cream and have a jimmy dean egg'wich for breakfast. It all works fine, I just get weak periodically , or maybe just fatigued from it and go off the wagon with regular food.

You make the shakes with the base powder, water and a fat of your choice. Butter, Avacado oil, or heavy cream. I mostly use just butter, sometimes cream for the fruit flavors. The shakes have everything you need in it, including your daily vit/minerals (or 1/3rd what you need in each shake), so you skip the supplements too.

• 2Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
A weekend of beer and pizza causing you to gain weight doesn't make you "carb intolerant" gentleman...

"I can't believe I'm heavier this morning. All I did was eat pizza and drink beer all weekend"

Yeah, I'm not carb intolerant, it is just so easy to eat a ton of calories in carbs and then feel like shit for way overeating.

I have been doing 5-on, 2-off keto/very low carb with pretty good success. Keto during the week and eating junk with my family during the weekend. It has been really difficult to stick to full time low carb with the family home so much during the virus times.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
yes, Ketochow.

Its how i've been doing keto on and off for months now because its so easy, hassle free and filling. They also have like 20 different flavors. I make 12 at a time in 24oz mason jars and they are there waiting for me in the fridge usually twice a day. I drink coffee w/ cream and have a jimmy dean egg'wich for breakfast. It all works fine, I just get weak periodically , or maybe just fatigued from it and go off the wagon with regular food.

You make the shakes with the base powder, water and a fat of your choice. Butter, Avacado oil, or heavy cream. I mostly use just butter, sometimes cream for the fruit flavors. The shakes have everything you need in it, including your daily vit/minerals (or 1/3rd what you need in each shake), so you skip the supplements too.

this looks promising: flavors for my pallet.

stupid wuqertion but ifI’m not Keto will this be a problem? Or is this just a solution fitting a keto world? Like if I’m non Ketousing this it seems fine but I don’t want to have to suck a dick to get into ketosis like my wife’s friends tobenefit from this as an awesome meal sub.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider

Again, I watch my calories and my carbs pretty well. My weight stays at 165 if I eat 2k calorie and keep my carbs under 40G. This weekend the only thing I did different was drink 3 beers and 2 peices of pizza Saturday, and on Sunday my wife made pancakes and I had 4 otherwise I kept my calorie count steady.
I weight myself every work day after the morning pee. Friday before work I was at my normal 165, Monday morning I was sitting over 172 and Thursday I was back to 165 again eating roughly the same calories but being carb conscious.

Honestly if it's not a carb problem I would love to hear what else it could be. I am not a fan of the low carb lifestyle but it gives me noticeable results.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Its far more likely it was your sodium intake causing you to retain water.

• 2Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
this looks promising: flavors for my pallet.

stupid wuqertion but ifI’m not Keto will this be a problem? Or is this just a solution fitting a keto world? Like if I’m non Ketousing this it seems fine but I don’t want to have to suck a dick to get into ketosis like my wife’s friends tobenefit from this as an awesome meal sub.

Naw you don't have to be on keto to use these. Look at the nutritional info, its basically complete nutrition and taste great despite coming out to only like 3 carbs per serving. I keep them in the fridge and use them on or off keto, healthier than most junk when I'm not in the mood to spend a bunch of time cooking the "perfect meal" (which is never).

Just make them the night before, they need a bit of time to sit. Something about the vitamin and mineral mix dissolving properly so they don't taste funny. A lot of people add stuff to them but i've never felt the need, except cinnamon to some flavors because I like cinnamon and its good for you. Make them with butter instead of heavy cream and they last a week in the fridge, easy.

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Again, I watch my calories and my carbs pretty well. My weight stays at 165 if I eat 2k calorie and keep my carbs under 40G. This weekend the only thing I did different was drink 3 beers and 2 peices of pizza Saturday, and on Sunday my wife made pancakes and I had 4 otherwise I kept my calorie count steady.
I weight myself every work day after the morning pee. Friday before work I was at my normal 165, Monday morning I was sitting over 172 and Thursday I was back to 165 again eating roughly the same calories but being carb conscious.

Honestly if it's not a carb problem I would love to hear what else it could be. I am not a fan of the low carb lifestyle but it gives me noticeable results.

Yeah this happens to me all the time because I'm lazy with keto and fall off the wagon on the regular. Its water weight you gain and lose fast like that.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
. A weekend of beer and pizza will have me over 8lbs heavier Monday morning only to be back to my fighting weight by Thursday if watch my carb intake. It was frustrating at first because even if I keep my calorie count low I will still get massive bloat from higher carbs. I love beer though...

Carbs get stored in your muscles as glycogen, which is energy. Glycogen holds/is water.

When you stop eating carbs your muscles use up all the glycogen and associated water. Which means rapid weight loss.

You haven't actually lost any fat or muscle mass when you go low carb for a few days, you just lost water.

Likewise for not gaining any fat just because you had a pizza and a few beers.

Screenshot_20200628-034052.png

This is my weight the morning after ordering a pizza at 1am lol

2lbs heavier the next day, note how 2 days later I was actually underneath the weight I was the morning I ordered the pizza?

This is because in the days after the pizza I substantially decreased my carb intake to shed the extra water, my weight then stabilised as I went back to my regular diet

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I need some information resources targeted at an excessively out-of-shape fat man joining a gym for the first time. Specifically how to ease into things to avoid injury and frustration, with a focus just on weight-loss, light cardio, and just very basic weight lifting. The gym will have no staff so I'll be on my own with no guidance, and with no experience.

Links for anything along these lines would be appreciated.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Can't ease frustration, but I would say have a goal in mind thats sustainable. Be honest with yourself and the effort you're putting in.

I'd start with a food log. Log all foods/drinks with calories. It's going to help you understand what you're eating and how much. Plenty of apps out there that will help you with this.
Get your BMR - BMR Calculator - this is not gospel..its a rough approximation. You will need to tinker with calories and be patient.

As far as exercises..its going to depend on what you're trying to achieve. Starting Strength is a good place to begin for overall strength and it covers the basics. Really look into how you should be doing each exercise correctly. Build muscle memory, and do not worry about the amount of weight you're moving, that will come in time. Focus on form, range of motion, activating the correct muscles. If you have another goal in mind, adjust to that. Good example would be..if you're wanting to play a specific sport..focus on things that would allow you to be better at that sport. Or if its long distance running, work on things that will help you improve there. If its just basic, overall strength, SS and its many flavors will help you.

For cardio, depending how big of a guy you are, stick to lower impact things, your joints will thank you later. Walking, and elliptical are good low impact things to do and allows you to ease into getting your heart moving. I'd stay away from stationary bikes..chances are, you sit enough as it is, you dont need more sitting.

Dont get overwhelmed. Do something each day, stay active. Have an overall goal, and set smaller, bite sized goals to hit, to get there.

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I second Starting Strength. It'll teach you the big lifts correctly. It's also super basic so all you need is a rack and a barbell; no need to deal with any other shit at the gym. And really that's all you need to get strong and fit (plus a solid diet of course).

• 1Like

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I need some information resources targeted at an excessively out-of-shape fat man joining a gym for the first time. Specifically how to ease into things to avoid injury and frustration, with a focus just on weight-loss, light cardio, and just very basic weight lifting. The gym will have no staff so I'll be on my own with no guidance, and with no experience.

Links for anything along these lines would be appreciated.

If you are fat , i'd honestly concentrate on droping some weight first with no exercise beyond just walking. Losing fat is mostly a product of less eating and exercise will spike your appetite.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Also if you are going to lift, work on flexibility. Nothing destroys leg gains like short hip flexors or tight hamstrings.