Weight Loss Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
but fuck if I can figure out how to get enough calories. I burn at least 4500 a day between running, lifting and life, yesterday was 5500. Today I only ate about 3000 and that was forcing myself. I want to keep it clean, i already have shakes and I added natural penutbutter but still need more, any suggestions?

The reality - if you're exercising hard and want to gain weight you can afford to include foods that you normally wouldn't eat. (although really if you're above 15% body fat you shouldn't be bulking - hence why I've cut down to 10%)

For me at 160lbs and 10% body fat, I'd be aiming for 3-4g carbs per KG body weight so 225-300g.

25g of carbohydrate powder during workout.
20-50g of carbs post workout (in shake or as separate eg fruit juice)
250g of jasmine rice is 90g carbs.

I'd also include a lot more bread than normal and low fat ice cream eg Halo Top. Even something like a pack of skittles post workout is fine. Fruit - adding mango to the jasmine rice, raisins etc.

Protein, I aim for 190g a day - usually from chicken breast etc.

Fats: 50g-75g.

10-15g of fat I get just from cooking oil, whether that's to sear my meat that comes out of my sous-vide, to roast some sweet potato in or to stir fry some veg.

Typically my first meal of the day is a fatty piece of meat with some nuts or avocado. I'll then train and consume all my carbs during and after training

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thanks Ossoi Ossoi am probably at about 20% right now but last summer when I go down to 12ish I looked like I had cancer, I wanted to balance that out some and put on a little more lean muscle before I cut back that low. I'll see how april goes.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Day 100 on the Carnivore Diet. Down ~50 lbs. and feeling great. Easiest eating regime I have ever followed.

My immediate goal is to get sub 300 lbs. and long term is to end up somewhere around 250 lbs. and just maintain it.

I got sub 300 lbs. (275 lbs.) one other time as an adult, but it only lasted about a year. This time will be different it has to, I am not getting any younger.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Day 100 on the Carnivore Diet. Down ~50 lbs. and feeling great. Easiest eating regime I have ever followed.

My immediate goal is to get sub 300 lbs. and long term is to end up somewhere around 250 lbs. and just maintain it.

I got sub 300 lbs. (275 lbs.) one other time as an adult, but it only lasted about a year. This time will be different it has to, I am not getting any younger.
Can I ask how tall you are?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Day 132 of Carnivore and I just did something very stupid. It is my kid's 11 birthday and I had a slice of cake with a scoop of ice cream. I am already feeling like I might vomit, this is gonna be a long night.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Day 132 of Carnivore and I just did something very stupid. It is my kid's 11 birthday and I had a slice of cake with a scoop of ice cream. I am already feeling like I might vomit, this is gonna be a long night.

I've been doing Keto and for a couple weeks approaching my birthday I just said the hell with it and ate what I wanted. Quickly put back on about 10 pounds. My issue is when I eat some sugar/carbs I just want MORE. I can't just have a little.

I'm back on the wagon but kinda pissed off. Pissed off that I can't order pizza at the drive-in movies (and popcorn), that I can't have a doughnut after my breakfast with my coffee, etc. I LOVE that kinda thing.

I dunno, its all very frustrating.

edit: I lost maybe 25lbs total on keto. Gained back 10, now lost 5lbs since back on the wagon. Its all so tiresome. I really enjoy food.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'm back on the wagon but kinda pissed off. Pissed off that I can't order pizza at the drive-in movies (and popcorn), that I can't have a doughnut after my breakfast with my coffee, etc. I LOVE that kinda thing.

edit: I lost maybe 25lbs total on keto. Gained back 10, now lost 5lbs since back on the wagon.

Since my last set of photos I increased calories to 3500 and April-May was working out in my garden gym twice a day. Went from 157lbs to 176-177, the weight gain was a combination of water, muscle and fat.

I'm now cutting back down, and in 2 weeks I've lost 6lbs, I'm still eating carbs - mostly via sweet potato, but also rice and bread. Only training once a day, and every other day (weather permitting)

It's not the carbs making you fat - you even state you ate whatever you wanted - it was the increase in calories. Now yes, if carbs are addictive for you and you can't stop at 1 do-nut but you have to eat 3, or you can't eat 2 scoops of ice cream and have to finish the tub, then don't keep them in the house.

But there really isn't any reason you can't have 1 do-nut a day - but yeah pizza and popcorn is easily 3000-4000+ calories in one go.

carbslol.jpg

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've been doing Keto and for a couple weeks approaching my birthday I just said the hell with it and ate what I wanted. Quickly put back on about 10 pounds. My issue is when I eat some sugar/carbs I just want MORE. I can't just have a little.

I dunno, its all very frustrating.

edit: I lost maybe 25lbs total on keto. Gained back 10, now lost 5lbs since back on the wagon. Its all so tiresome. I really enjoy food.

Don't listen to anyone who says that weight loss is purely an energy balance formula. They are reducing a complex, multivariate issue into one variable and it is nonsense.

Your particular hormones, particularly insulin, control when and how you store fat. If you are insulin resistant then you will store more fat from calories than someone eating an equivalent number of calories who in not resistant.

If you want to reduce fat accumulation, you have to keep your insulin levels low.

Also, if someone tries to convince you that is not the case by showing pictures of shredded power-lifters eating large amounts of candy then ignore that person entirely. Normal people trying to find a sustainable diet for everyday life should not take their dieting cues from that subset of people.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Don't listen to anyone who says that weight loss is purely an energy balance formula. They are reducing a complex, multivariate issue into one variable and it is nonsense.

Evidence doesn't lie. Carbs do not make you fat. Keto is not necessary to lose weight.

In fact, even studies seeking to measure low carb effects start off participants on a diet which is 45% carbs to measure initial weight loss Effects of a low carbohydrate diet on energy expenditure during weight loss maintenance: randomized trial

" If you want to reduce fat accumulation, you have to keep your insulin levels low."

And how exactly are you aware of his insulin sensitivity

He's already said "I just said the hell with it and ate what I wanted." but sure, demonise the carbs. Amazing how you are still a religious fanatic about this stuff

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm down 20 lbs (205 ->185) using the energy balance approach. No special dietary controls, though I end up avoiding bread and liquid carbs by default. 15-20 more to go. I miss beer.

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Evidence doesn't lie. Carbs do not make you fat. Keto is not necessary to lose weight.

In fact, even studies seeking to measure low carb effects start off participants on a diet which is 45% carbs to measure initial weight loss Effects of a low carbohydrate diet on energy expenditure during weight loss maintenance: randomized trial

" If you want to reduce fat accumulation, you have to keep your insulin levels low."

And how exactly are you aware of his insulin sensitivity

He's already said "I just said the hell with it and ate what I wanted." but sure, demonise the carbs. Amazing how you are still a religious fanatic about this stuff

Jesus Christ you are an idiot.

The "you" in that phrase was the royal you. As in, if you are reading this sentence then I am talking to you.

Additionally, I didn't say a single thing about keto or carbs. I demonized nothing. I said the only thing that anyone with any knowledge of actual science says, and that is your insulin levels control your fat accumulation. Energy balance is one way that people successfully control their insulin levels. Keto is another. One works for some people, the other works for others, and some work for both. You (the royal you again) should experiment with different types of diets to figure out which works best for you and is sustainable, since your genetics play a bigger factor in fat accumulation than we've been led to believe by modern health science.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Jesus Christ you are an idiot.

The "you" in that phrase was the royal you. As in, if you are reading this sentence then I am talking to you.

Well normally when you quote someone it's because you want to reply to them, not to address the room, ROFL, and you call me an idiot

Additionally, I didn't say a single thing about keto or carbs. I demonized nothing.

Your particular hormones, particularly insulin, control when and how you store fat. If you are insulin resistant then you will store more fat from calories than someone eating an equivalent number of calories who in not resistant.

Ahh of course, and remind me what type of food is associated with the insulin model of fat storage.

I said the only thing that anyone with any knowledge of actual science says, and that is your insulin levels control your fat accumulation. Energy balance is one way that people successfully control their insulin levels. Keto is another.

Don't listen to anyone who says that weight loss is purely an energy balance formula.

If you want to reduce fat accumulation, you have to keep your insulin levels low.

Ok bro, sure you weren't demonising carbs at all when you said that insulin spikes lead to fat storage, ok sure.

I said the only thing that anyone with any knowledge of actual science says, and that is your insulin levels control your fat accumulation.

Ah, yes which is why on the linked study:

" This model has been challenged, primarily owing to lack of evidence from controlled feeding studies"

" during the “Run-in diet,” everyone followed the same diet (C/F/P: 45%/30%/25%) at 40% caloric restriction in order to lose about 10% of their initial body weight. " The carb/insulin model of obesity was tested again, and it fared better this time.

" During the run-in phase, energy intake was restricted to promote 12% (within 2%) weight loss over 9-10 weeks. We randomly assigned participants who achieved the target weight loss to high, moderate, or low carbohydrate test diets for a 20 week test phase"

"we enrolled 234 participants for the run-in phase (fig 2). Of these, 164 achieved 12% (within 2%) weight loss and were randomly assigned to one of three macronutrient diets for the test phase, comprising high (n=54), moderate (n=53), or low (n=57) levels of carbohydrate "

So from 234 participants, they put all of them on a 45% carb diet, and continued with the 164 (70%) who despite the high carb intake, achieved the target 12% weight loss. So 70% of participants lost 12% weight despite eating a diet consisting of 45% carbs (BUT MUH INSULIN SPIKES)

This is me on the 20th March when gyms in UK shut, and today - after 2 months of training at home and eating 3500 calories a day, including 400-450 carbs....just went to a random day in April on MFP and it was actually more LOL

4,113 447 120 301

12lbs difference, clearly bigger in size, obviously softer around the abs, but first pic was completely carb/water depleted, but sure insulin spikes and not eating 3500-4000+ calories a day were responsible for a slight increase in fat, ok

Ok bro

XUL84w3.gif

• 1Dislike

LiquidDeath

Well normally when you quote someone it's because you want to reply to them, not to address the room, ROFL, and you call me an idiot

Ahh of course, and remind me what type of food is associated with the insulin model of fat storage.

Ok bro, sure you weren't demonising carbs at all when you said that insulin spikes lead to fat storage, ok sure.

Ah, yes which is why on the linked study:

" This model has been challenged, primarily owing to lack of evidence from controlled feeding studies"

" during the “Run-in diet,” everyone followed the same diet (C/F/P: 45%/30%/25%) at 40% caloric restriction in order to lose about 10% of their initial body weight. " The carb/insulin model of obesity was tested again, and it fared better this time.

" During the run-in phase, energy intake was restricted to promote 12% (within 2%) weight loss over 9-10 weeks. We randomly assigned participants who achieved the target weight loss to high, moderate, or low carbohydrate test diets for a 20 week test phase"

"we enrolled 234 participants for the run-in phase (fig 2). Of these, 164 achieved 12% (within 2%) weight loss and were randomly assigned to one of three macronutrient diets for the test phase, comprising high (n=54), moderate (n=53), or low (n=57) levels of carbohydrate "

So from 234 participants, they put all of them on a 45% carb diet, and continued with the 164 (70%) who despite the high carb intake, achieved the target 12% weight loss. So 70% of participants lost 12% weight despite eating a diet consisting of 45% carbs (BUT MUH INSULIN SPIKES)

This is me on the 20th March when gyms in UK shut, and today - after 2 months of training at home and eating 3500 calories a day, including 400-450 carbs....just went to a random day in April on MFP and it was actually more LOL

4,113 447 120 301

12lbs difference, clearly bigger in size, obviously softer around the abs, but first pic was completely carb/water depleted, but sure insulin spikes and not eating 3500-4000+ calories a day were responsible for a slight increase in fat, ok

Ok bro

XUL84w3.gif

I don't give a shit about your personal anecdotal evidence, and neither should anyone else. It is exactly that, anecdotal.

The study you linked is bad science and Gary Taubes himself admitted as much over and over in interviews about the NuSi studies that he helped create and fund. You conveniently left out the fact that all participants had a BMI of 25 or more and would have lost weight on any kind of controlled diet, so the fact that 30% of them could not lose 10% of their body weight in 10 weeks on a controlled diet (those 45% carbs weren't white bread, pizza, and candy) is significant as is the fact that none of the participants were eating a representative standard American diet once entering the study.

I said before, I'm not demonizing carbs in general. There are plenty of people who eat carb heavy diets and stay in great shape. The anti-obesity diet I have recently shared with the board and with anyone asking my opinion on weight loss allows for an unlimited amount of carbs as long as they are from non-starchy vegetables and fruit.

anti-obesity diet.jpg

I also don't understand why you continually harp on "insulin spikes" which I never discussed. I only ever mentioned overall insulin levels. If your insulin levels are high, then you will store excess sugar as fat. If they are low you will mobilize it into your bloodstream for secretion. That isn't a supposition, that is proven science. So if you want to lose weight, you will keep your insulin levels as low as possible for as long as possible. There isn't a single diet that this does not meet this requirement.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I don't give a shit about your personal anecdotal evidence, and neither should anyone else. It is exactly that, anecdotal.

The study you linked is bad science

jesus fucking christ, second paragraph and you're already playing the "bad science" fallacy card

From the @CaloriesProper post on the study:

" 2. This was a very expensive study. They used great methods. " The carb/insulin model of obesity was tested again, and it fared better this time.

I also don't understand why you continually harp on "insulin spikes" which I never discussed. I only ever mentioned overall insulin levels.

Yeah, thanks for admitting you don't understand the very theory you're epousing. According to their carbs spike insulin LEVELS, and insulin = fat gain

The anti-obesity diet I have recently shared with the board and with anyone asking my opinion on weight loss allows for an unlimited amount of carbs as long as they are from non-starchy vegetables and fruit.

Ahh

a) literally nobody is arguing that fat people should be allowed bread
b) Didn't you say earlier " The "you" in that phrase was the royal you. As in, if you are reading this sentence then I am talking to you. " OK so you assume we are all obese

Just fuck off you've been smashed into the ground and you're an absolute moron who doesn't understand what it is he's posting

• 1Dislike