Weight Loss Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
But you can't cheat. You break the chain if you cheat. And have to start over. Which I doubt is good for your body.

Yeah I am realizing this. It seems every two weeks I get fatigued with the keto and have a massive cheat day where I gorge on bad stuff. The results are 5lbs of water weight overnight plus maybe a pound or two of fat. Basically wipes out a weeks worth of work. I've started to record daily weight on a calendar and its becoming clear and I'm not going to get to my goal unless I stop with the cheating.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Yeah I am realizing this. It seems every two weeks I get fatigued with the keto and have a massive cheat day where I gorge on bad stuff. The results are 5lbs of water weight overnight plus maybe a pound or two of fat. Basically wipes out a weeks worth of work. I've started to record daily weight on a calendar and its becoming clear and I'm not going to get to my goal unless I stop with the cheating.

Water weight is irrelevant, and you'd have to eating 3500-7000 calories more than you burnt to gain 1-2 lbs of fat

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
When you say massive cheat day, what are we talking?

Also, why are you concerned about water weight? If I was you, I'd stop looking at the scale and start focusing all your willpower on pushing through the issues you are encountering every two weeks. If you are getting tired of keto, are you eating the same thing every day? Have you tried making some of the more interesting keto recipes to see if those can stave off your boredom?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
How much would you say water weight can fluctuate in a 5'10'' 210lbs male?

I came back from holiday at the start of September and my weight was 164lbs, I'm 5'11.

I continued to lift regularly but my diet gradually got more relaxed, and I started eating more bread. Can't remember the exact foods but it would have been a takeaway of some kind which spiked me up to 169lbs in the middle of the month.

I booked another trip that same week and by Saturday I'd shed all the water weight and was the same weight I was at the start of the month

My scales, which I've used daily for almost 4 years typically give me a range of 94lbs water weight (zero-low carb) to 103lbs water weight (high carb or after an excessively high sugar day)

Screenshot_20200928-205900.png

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So, I've always been fat and during the lockdowns here I got fatter, like really gross, the biggest I've ever been in my life. I'm nowhere near my 600lbs life, but I was halfway there.

Back in May I said that was enough. I have a back injury which I'm hopefully going to start getting correct in Nov but its causing issues with my right leg. I can still bike, but anything high impact is off the table. So, I bought a bike and biked my fat ass a minimum of 8 miles a day, topping out on a 28 mile ride one day.

I gave up all sodas, and I went to, without even trying intermittent fasting. I only eat one meal a day, not because I force myself to, but because that's all that I get hungry for now. If I try to eat I already feel full until around 5pm hits and then I have a good meal (literally whatever and however much I want) and then sometimes I'll have small ice cream for dessert.

I have a couple of health nut friends that say once I stop I'm going to gain like crazy but for the whole month of Aug I was off this diet. I drank sodas, I ate 2 to 3 meals a day and went crazy and didn't bike at all (my kids were in town and we were traveling around, camping and doing fun shit together) After they left I weighed myself and I gained 4lbs, which I lost in less than a week. So I guess I'm not worried about rebounds an honestly, this isn't hard for me, it's not a challenge at all. I don't even think about it. My doctor says I'm fine, all my levels are good and he's behind me.

Other than that ice cream I intake almost no processed sugars either.

Anyways, to get to it the point of this post, I'm down 50lbs. my goal is 50 more. I guess we'll see how it goes!

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
This thread is not super active, but I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I'm not fat really, but I think I fit the description of skinny fat pretty well. I'm 5'8 and generally hover around 165 lbs, but I have little chicken legs, stick arms and moobs with a gut. My body sadly stores all of it's fat in my mid section basically. For the last month, I've been trying to lose weight. My diet has slightly improved by virtue of doing a small salad with 6 oz of grilled chicken for dinner 1-2 times a week instead of whatever I was normally eating before, and I'm also using a treadmill 5 days a week. I typically use an interval program on my treadmill which keeps a steady incline of 2° and a variable speed with changes at random every 2 minutes, between 3.5 and 6.5 mph. Both my watch and the treadmill typically estimate my calorie burn on a 25 minute usage to be ~300-380 calories (depending on the variability of the speed). Let's totally ignore the theoretically improved diet and focus solely on the treadmill usage, vs total sloth before. During this stupid pandemic I have essentially just sat on the computer like 8+ hours a day and done basically nothing, and now I'm using the treadmill as mentioned 5 times a week. Let's go on the low end and say 300 calories per usage, I am theoretically burning 1500 calories a week vs 0 before. Somehow since I've started doing this, I've gained 5 lbs, up to 170. I'm not understanding this at all, what the fuck is my body doing

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This thread is not super active, but I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I'm not fat really, but I think I fit the description of skinny fat pretty well. I'm 5'8 and generally hover around 165 lbs, but I have little chicken legs, stick arms and moobs with a gut. My body sadly stores all of it's fat in my mid section basically. For the last month, I've been trying to lose weight. My diet has slightly improved by virtue of doing a small salad with 6 oz of grilled chicken for dinner 1-2 times a week instead of whatever I was normally eating before, and I'm also using a treadmill 5 days a week. I typically use an interval program on my treadmill which keeps a steady incline of 2° and a variable speed with changes at random every 2 minutes, between 3.5 and 6.5 mph. Both my watch and the treadmill typically estimate my calorie burn on a 25 minute usage to be ~300-380 calories (depending on the variability of the speed). Let's totally ignore the theoretically improved diet and focus solely on the treadmill usage, vs total sloth before. During this stupid pandemic I have essentially just sat on the computer like 8+ hours a day and done basically nothing, and now I'm using the treadmill as mentioned 5 times a week. Let's go on the low end and say 300 calories per usage, I am theoretically burning 1500 calories a week vs 0 before. Somehow since I've started doing this, I've gained 5 lbs, up to 170. I'm not understanding this at all, what the fuck is my body doing

Losing weight is all about how you eat. Think of exercising as an activity for injury prevention, overall fitness and cardiovascular health. Not weight loss.

If you burn 300 calories on a treadmill that extra spent energy is going to make you feel hungrier than you would otherwise. If you are not weighing your food and keeping a diary you really have no idea what you are consuming. That 300 calories burned is moot if you're eating an extra 450 without realizing it.

TL;DR Keep exercising, it's good for you. Get a food scale and start paying attention to and cataloguing what you actually eat.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Key words here:

"slightly improved"

"small salad with chicken 1-2 times a week"

"estimate my calorie burn"

Every meal has to be eaten with the intention of losing weight. You do this by making sure you have a daily calorie deficit of at least 500. Two lower calorie meals aren't going to make much difference.

Treadmill calorie burn is estimated, usually over estimated.

You're barely eating less than you were before, and you're not exercising very much or at a very high intensity / volume.

You could/should add strength training. But if you don't want to do that you need to increase your activity levels and intensity - 10k minimum steps a day - go for a walk around the neighbourhood or something. Plus the treadmill - ideally higher intensity (eg speed). This will get the scale to come down.

But if you really want to get rid of the skinny fat look then you need to start lifting weights

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
As the others have said it's more about what you eat. Myfitnesspal is great for starting out, logging what you eat. After you do it for so long(say at least 90 days) you'll be much more aware of your caloric intake and if you stick to that same diet, know roughly how many calories you're consuming without necessarily tracking it every day.

Doing that and the walking will shred the pounds, and that is fine if that is your only goal. But, you will have to develop a workout routine as well if you want to tone your body at all.

Also, I'd say its probably normal for someone your size their weight to fluctuate +/- about 5 pounds, so you may have been dehydrated or well cleaned out when you first weighed yourself and/or you may had been retaining water (due to high sodium) when you next weighed yourself. Just keep at it and you will lose weight if you clean up your diet.

I've lost another 15 pounds or so since covid started so I have officially lost over half my starting body weight, losing about 165 pounds. Using a free workout app I downloaded on my phone called home workout helped get me there. No equipment is needed to get started and I've added dumbbells and kettle bells since starting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

One thing people don't realize is that it is okay to be hungry.

Letting yourself be hungry and focusing on what it means, how it feels, and how it affects you makes reducing your food intake dramatically easy for several reasons. First, just because you feel hungry doesn't mean you are actually hungry. You have a hormone in your body called ghrelin and it causes you to feel hungry. It also just so happens that ghrelin levels are highest during your normal feeding times, whether you are actually hungry or not. Its a hormone that was important when food was scarce or when humans were in environments where you couldn't be sure when you last ate. In any case, even though modern man doesn't need it, it still exists and it works against you when trying to lose wait. Second, for the vast majority of our existence we have been food insecure. That means our biology developed with cyclical eating patterns as the norm and so there are processes that your body only goes through when it doesn't have easy access to stored glucose. It is the whole idea behind the combination of ketogenic diets and intermittent fasting. If you are overweight, you have literal days (and weeks and possibly months) of stored energy on your body in the form of fat but your body has been given easy access to glucose energy for so long that it doesn't burn that fat for energy as readily or efficiently as it should. After eating low carb for a while and doing intermittent fasting (or reduced eating windows), your body starts to realize that the days of easy glucose energy are gone and starts going to the well of fat for energy more efficiently. This is even more true as most of us are now at least into our 40s and our hormone profiles have reduced natural metabolism. Third, and this is more important than most people realize, exercising makes you hungry. It is really great for your overall health and wellbeing, but I personally am not a fan of increased activity specifically for weight loss. If you are going to go that route, though, you have to realize that your body is incredibly efficient at expending energy to produce work and it will immediately signal you to replace that lost energy in the form of extra calories. If you fall into that trap, you will get healthier, but may not lose weight.

If you want to lose weight for good, then the best thing you can do is start fasting. I personally recommend low carb diets, as I believe them to be beneficial and easier to sustain then other similarly effective diets, but that is up to personal preference and your specific biological reaction to the diets in the form of weight loss. For fasting, there are lots of resources on the net, but I would start with this guy (an actual medical doctor who studies the subject and treats patients with these methods):

If you are interested in low carb diets and the science behind it all, I would check out this channel:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
Lost 20 lbs on low carb over the last few months.

Little exercise. Some strength training, almost no cardio. Some walking.

I feel amazing now compared to where I was. Every once in a while I eat garbage and now it makes me feel so bad that I don't enjoy it even though my mind tells me I should miss it.
I look forward to the low carb meals now and enjoy them more.

I am doing mostly 1 meal a day with a protein shake supplement. I was worried about losing too much muscle while I intermittent fasted.

The key is routine and it's more difficult than it sounds because of life. Once your body gets used to food at certain times it always wants that. Its hard to break but easy to maintain.

• 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

It's common when people first start to build muscle, aka gain weight, before dropping.

If you are truly going from complete sedimentary to some working out, that's likely it.

It's normal and good

LiquidDeath

Lost 20 lbs on low carb over the last few months.

Little exercise. Some strength training, almost no cardio. Some walking.

I feel amazing now compared to where I was. Every once in a while I eat garbage and now it makes me feel so bad that I don't enjoy it even though my mind tells me I should miss it.
I look forward to the low carb meals now and enjoy them more.

I am doing mostly 1 meal a day with a protein shake supplement. I was worried about losing too much muscle while I intermittent fasted.

The key is routine and it's more difficult than it sounds because of life. Once your body gets used to food at certain times it always wants that. Its hard to break but easy to maintain.
You can stop worrying so much about the muscle loss. It turns out that fasting is a muscle sparing activity. It also doesn't make much sense biologically that our bodies would cannibalize muscle before fat in times of energy restriction.

• 2Like

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Of course they tell you about diet. The problem is with your first word: fatty. The majority of people are too lazy to get off their ass and do any exercise, or improve their diet. I think in training I ever saw one or two people that went out and made lifestyle improvements that actually benefitted them.
I had shitty doctors, and shittier dietician. Literally had better success with a google search and and YouTube. Doctor had the conversation I described earlier paraphrased of course, when I pressed him he said to cut calories “calories in calories out” eat less and move more and recommended me to a dietician. Dietician had the same shitty advice as him except she gave me meal plans. Googled the cure for type two diabetes came across Doctor Jason Fung and read his book the diabetes code and watched him talk on YouTube which lead to fasting channels and in 3 months no more type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol. I’d been taking high blood pressure and cholesterol medicine for years, move more and eat less is one of the biggest fucking lies told by people in your profession. I dropped over 120 pounds without ever fucking exercising.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Barf

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I had shitty doctors, and shittier dietician. Literally had better success with a google search and and YouTube. Doctor had the conversation I described earlier paraphrased of course, when I pressed him he said to cut calories “calories in calories out” eat less and move more and recommended me to a dietician. Dietician had the same shitty advice as him except she gave me meal plans. Googled the cure for type two diabetes came across Doctor Jason Fung and read his book the diabetes code and watched him talk on YouTube which lead to fasting channels and in 3 months no more type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and cholesterol. I’d been taking high blood pressure and cholesterol medicine for years, move more and eat less is one of the biggest fucking lies told by people in your profession. I dropped over 120 pounds without ever fucking exercising.

Sounds like if you were 120 pounds over, someone was the idiot but not your doctor. “What? I can’t drink a liter of Dr Pepper every day??” What’s next on the air your grievances with medical professionals show?

• 1Worf
  • 1Imbecile