Weight Loss Thread

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Give it time. Even assuming you're brutally consistent with a deficit of 750 cal/day at that intake, which is reasonable, you'll only lose 5-6 lbs a month. Depending on your starting body composition that might no be enough to notice much of a visible difference inside the first 8-10 weeks. (Plus, most of us cheat consciously or subconsciously on the diet. It's REALLY REALLY easy to offset any arbitrary amount of exercise by eating more.)

I’m 5’9” and prob started at 188. I played sports through college so I’m built like a brick house.

The lack of protein is prob going to impact my physique more than anything as I continue. I’m thinking ensures or protein shakes post ride should make it into my diet?

Otherwise, yeah, I need more meat and veggies. Hrmm…

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I really need to start getting more cardio in and I have been considering getting one of these...

61-jcFpJneL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thoughts?
Rowing is the best cardio. Its easy on the joints and its not boring as fuck. Just make sure you have proper form and enjoy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Rowing is the best cardio. Its easy on the joints and its not boring as fuck. Just make sure you have proper form and enjoy.
I love me some rowing HIIT, but swimming is pretty good too if you have access to a pool. It's much easier to work myself harder if I don't ever overheat.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I love me some rowing HIIT, but swimming is pretty good too if you have access to a pool. It's much easier to work myself harder if I don't ever overheat.
I have considered putting in a pool, but I already live on a river. Sadly the section where I live is too shallow to really swim in, but it is great for hot summer days and is super peaceful. Also pools right now are like $80k minimum and due to the weather it would be usable maybe 5 months a year. I have considered a swim spa I even looked at some this year but they were up to crazy prices due to the supply and demand chain. My Vegas house had a pool and I loved it.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m 5’9” and prob started at 188. I played sports through college so I’m built like a brick house.

The lack of protein is prob going to impact my physique more than anything as I continue. I’m thinking ensures or protein shakes post ride should make it into my diet?

Otherwise, yeah, I need more meat and veggies. Hmmm
Ensure has a lot of calories relative to the protein. Regular protein shakes or bars are fine. Smart pop is a good snack to fill up on (low cal to volume).

On the Peloton check out the power zone programs if you haven’t already. Great way to push your output higher

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Ensure has a lot of calories relative to the protein. Regular protein shakes or bars are fine. Smart pop is a good snack to fill up on (low cal to volume).

On the Peloton check out the power zone programs if you haven’t already. Great way to push your output higher

Yeah I'm checking it all out. The longer classes are almost easier for me than the 20 minute classes. I have less output and burn less calories, but I am GASSED.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I'm checking it all out. The longer classes are almost easier for me than the 20 minute classes. I have less output and burn less calories, but I am GASSED.
I’m the same way, anything with short recovery intervals kills me. 45 minute power zone endurance rides? No problem, good burn and get off the bike without feeling like I’m going to die.Doing the FTP sucks ass, and is the only downside.

• 1Double Worf

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
and get off the bike without feeling like I’m going to die

Lmao. I had childhood asthma that hasn't effected me since high school football (only in the most intense conditioning scenarios) and it hit me hard two days ago during a HIIT ride.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am strongly considering this one...

1639868551117.png
lol at the top question...

1639868543498.png

Anyway after doing more research I will be getting an Aviron, just need to decide on which model.
1639868757173.png

I like the way it folds up and rolls out of the way, versus the wood one above where you can only stand it against a wall. Thus taking up wall space in my office limiting my space for my Displate collection.
1639868775035.png

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 388617

Anyway after doing more research I will be getting an Aviron, just need to decide on which model.
View attachment 388620

I like the way it folds up and rolls out of the way, versus the wood one above where you can only stand it against a wall. Thus taking up wall space in my office limiting my space for my Displate collection.
View attachment 388621

That’s a huge screen. Is it for LARP’ing a rowboat?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

View attachment 388617

View attachment 388620

View attachment 388621

Yeah, that one will definitely be easier to hang clothes on than the wooden one

• 1Worf

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
That’s a huge screen. Is it for LARP’ing a rowboat?
The screen is large which is nice for these old eyes, however, I am not buying for that reason. I am buying it because the air and magnetic rowers are much easier to adjust the tension on versus water rowers which is helpful for multiple users. This Aviron Air/Magnetic Rower is MUCH quieter that the Concept 2 Air Rower, though they store similarly. And regarding the screen it will simulate video game type races between you and other users which is kind of cool.

Lastly, LARP'ing would be just sitting on any rower while being in character pretending you are on the water. If you are gonna try to ice burn me at least use the correct terms, do better. God damned opener mic'ers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The screen is large which is nice for these old eyes, however, I am not buying for that reason. I am buying it because the air and magnetic rowers are much easier to adjust the tension on versus water rowers which is helpful for multiple users. This Aviron Air/Magnetic Rower is MUCH quieter that the Concept 2 Air Rower, though they store similarly. And regarding the screen it will simulate video game type races between you and other users which is kind of cool.

Lastly, LARP'ing would be just sitting on any rower while being in character pretending you are on the water. If you are gonna try to ice burn me at least use the correct terms, do better. God damned opener mic'ers
I wasn’t trying to burn you. I was trying to figure out why a row machine needed a big screen and I ride a Pelaton nearly every day.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I wasn’t trying to burn you. I was trying to figure out why a row machine needed a big screen and I ride a Pelaton nearly every day.
I can't say it is needed, it just is. Again, not the reason i am buying it, but I am sure i will find it to be a nice feature.

I hear good things about the Pelatons, I just can't do the bike thing. Spent way too many hours on a stationary bikes in college and no matter the model never once did I find the seat to be comfortable even with my huge fat ass. Also, I want a full body workout or as close to it with cardio machines, rowing activates legs, core and arms.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I can't say it is needed, it just is. Again, not the reason i am buying it, but I am sure i will find it to be a nice feature.

I hear good things about the Pelatons, I just can't do the bike thing. Spent way too many hours on a stationary bikes in college and no matter the model never once did I find the seat to be comfortable even with my huge fat ass. Also, I want a full body workout or as close to it with cardio machines, rowing activates legs, core and arms.

The classes on Pelaton are the biggest benefit imo. It’s the best format I’ve experienced for a digital coach/class.

They’re adding stuff like boxing, yoga, and weight lifting, but I enjoy the bike stuff and haven’t tried anything else.

I did a lot of rowing in CrossFit and it always kicked my butt.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Christmas 2020 photos were the motivation for me to finally do something at the start of last year. At 33, 178cm (5'10) and 153kg (337lb) changes needed to be made. I signed up for a meal plan service early January and have stuck with it for a full year now. Admitted to myself I didn't know shit about fuck and would only put in my stomach what was approved on the plan. No soda, no coffee, no booze just drinking a 600ml (21oz) bottle of water with each meal. I weighed in at the start of each month and made it something to look forward to, not stepping on the scales in between.

Weight.JPG
Weight2.JPG

So all up I've lost 51.8kg (114lb) in one year just through food. A couple of months there, September and November in particular I strayed and indulged more than I should have. Happy I didn't succumb to the Christmas pudding, pavlova or trifle though. First 6 months was a 1800 calorie plan, then swapped to 1500 which I'm still on. I've still got probably another 20 - 30kg to go, but I know I can achieve it this year.

• 13Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 14 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Have seen both of these guys before, really appreciate the approach/info/accessibility

timestamp for a section specifically about fasting

• 1Like

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Im starting to follow orthodox christian diet / fasting routine. I am hopeful it will help with weight loss but also help with my spirituality.