Weight Loss Thread

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Put less food in mouth. And don't eat garbage.

• 1Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Looking to lose 20lb in 3ish months
Carb restriction. Simple and easy. Simple meaning you need to do the basic math of subtracting dietary fiber and sugar alcohols from the carb count. Easy meaning dont eat anything but proteins and low carb veggies. Keep daily net carbs under 25 grams a day. Sugar is no bueno.

Atkins or Keto are the preferred versions.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There’s literally nothing wrong with carbs. You’re body needs carbs. Carbs aren’t bad at all. Carbs are literally just calories. You lower your calories and you lose weight. Simple as that. There’s no magic trick to weight loss. People who choose keto just like to eat fats more than carbs. At the end of the day all diets do the same thing, limit calories.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There’s literally nothing wrong with carbs. You’re body needs carbs. Carbs aren’t bad at all. Carbs are literally just calories. You lower your calories and you lose weight. Simple as that. There’s no magic trick to weight loss. People who choose keto just like to eat fats more than carbs. At the end of the day all diets do the same thing, limit calories.
I am guessing by this you may not have researched Atkins. Its not that carbs are "bad". Not at all. You should be eating them every day. Protein carbs and fat all service a purpose in the body's fueling.

The idea of Carb restriction is to trick the body into "thinking" its starving and entering ketosis. This tells the body to break up the triglycerides for food. Thus you lose weight by destroying long term fat storage while not having to restrict calories nor are you chewing up muscle mass.

25 grams of net carbs is actually a lot if chosen wisely. Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, Romaine, cucumbers, celery etc are all high fiber low carb veggies. Salads with steamed/raw/grilled broccoli/cauliflower is a ton of nutrition and lots of food.

Animosity

I know what Atkins and keto is. I know what “ketosis” is. It’s not a superior way to lose weight. It’s just a diet format that you prefer. If I eat say 200g carb and 50g fat I’ll lose weight. It’s the exact same if you eat say 50g carb and 100g fat. It’s not magic. It’s literally all about your calories. Carbs and fats are just a unit of calories.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The best diet is the one that you can actually live with. Be it atkins or keto or whatever the fuck. Hardest thing with a diet is to actually follow it long term. Find a dient that you dont mind doing for the rest of your life and pick that one.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know what Atkins and keto is. I know what “ketosis” is. It’s not a superior way to lose weight. It’s just a diet format that you prefer. If I eat say 200g carb and 50g fat I’ll lose weight. It’s the exact same if you eat say 50g carb and 100g fat. It’s not magic. It’s literally all about your calories. Carbs and fats are just a unit of calories.
I respectfully disagree. Not all calories are the same. Carbs and fats serve a purpose beyond "calories".

Spend 4 weeks eating 1500 calories of snickers bars and nothing else and then 4 weeks eating 1500 calories of chicken breast and nothing else. All other variables held constant if calories are calories the body weight should be the same. It wont be.

The human body doesnt metabolize all sources of calories the same.

Just compare how the body processes fructose vs glucose. 100 calories of each do not process the same.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Just compare how the body processes fructose vs glucose. 100 calories of each do not process the same.
This is something that gets missed a lot. "A calorie is a calorie" once metabolized, but for a whole host of reasons a calorie in your mouth may not be equal to one from another food.

That said, it's probably true enough for any diet that is predominantly unprocessed foods of the type that you cut with a knife and prepare in a kitchen.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This popped up the other day on my feed and I liked how the guy explained it:

I dont know who the fuck he is and never watched anything from him but he is obviously a guy in good shape and this is obviously not a video about losing weight. But his points and the focus on the mentality of diet and exercise seemed correct and well delivered. If someone follows the things the video suggests and stays in small caloric deficit then they are guaranteed to lose weight and get healthier.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

I respectfully disagree. Not all calories are the same. Carbs and fats serve a purpose beyond "calories".

Spend 4 weeks eating 1500 calories of snickers bars and nothing else and then 4 weeks eating 1500 calories of chicken breast and nothing else. All other variables held constant if calories are calories the body weight should be the same. It wont be.

A calorie is a calorie, the source of the calorie is what changes. Comparing a candy bar to chicken breast isn’t the same. One is all protein and one is all fats and carbs. That’s like comparing 109g of chicken to 100g of cheese. How your body processes them is different. In the terms of weight loss it’s all about calories. Eating 1400 calories you will lose weight. Even if it is candy or chicken. There’s even a study of a guy eating only Twinkie’s and he lost weight. One is just clearly a better choice nutrients wise.

Plus if you are dieting to lose, gain or maintain and you aren’t eating 1g of protein per pound of your weight, you’re just doing it wrong and won’t get the results you want.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
A calorie is a calorie, the source of the calorie is what changes. Comparing a candy bar to chicken breast isn’t the same. One is all protein and one is all fats and carbs. That’s like comparing 109g of chicken to 100g of cheese. How your body processes them is different. In the terms of weight loss it’s all about calories. Eating 1400 calories you will lose weight. Even if it is candy or chicken. There’s even a study of a guy eating only Twinkie’s and he lost weight. One is just clearly a better choice nutrients wise.

Plus if you are dieting to lose, gain or maintain and you aren’t eating 1g of protein per pound of your weight, you’re just doing it wrong and won’t get the results you want.
Diets are like women. Every guy views them differently. Also like women, most of them will get the job done but might go about it differently. The poster I responded to ask a question. I stand by my answer. Losing baby weight over a 3 month period I would go with Atkins. I dont do Keto and mentioned it in the same sentence because some folks prefer it over Atkins. I do not.

ymmv

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also don’t pick some random arbitrary time to lose the weight if you don’t need to (like you have to lose it for some event). Get into a sustainable caloric deficit and you’ll get there when you get there.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I’ve found restricting the times I eat to work really well for me. I’ve worked my way to a 7ish hour window over Q3 last year. I’ve also focused on reducing the amount of processed food, especially added sugar, that I eat. I’ve gone from 172 to 150, and definitely feel better overall. Increasing overall wellness/longevity is the goal, with the weight loss, being a small part of it

I didn’t put any huge plans in place, just tried to chip away like I’ve attempted in the past. More of an Atomic Habits approach.
My biggest single change is trying to keep sugary treats out of the house, I have very little willpower against, especially when I’m tired or pissed off about work/home/life/etc. No need to tempt myself.
I’ll still have a small piece of whatever desert is at a birthday/holiday event, I just try to be reasonable about it.

typing this shit out on my phone, will edit/add some details later.

• 1Like

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
Never had to deal with any real problems, thanks to my metabolism. But the most perfect fitness I've ever been in came from me walking to every meal, drinking water or milk, preparing my own food and only eating in the kitchen across camp(animal precaution).

Progress can evaporate if you're able to just move from your bed to some leftovers or HFCS. I can disappear some pizza and drink without a responsible decision in the waking world.

FWIW the only commonality I've been able to identify between obese people in my life is bread, soda, and alcohol. Bread-makers in each of their kitchens, eating loaves every day, having baked goods delivered. Must be an appetite gene.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
It makes me unspeakably sad that in order to stay fit I need to write off regular consumption of bread and beer.
I have found some high fiber bread and bagels which are pretty good and I can enjoy in moderation without knocking myself out of ketosis.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It makes me unspeakably sad that in order to stay fit I need to write off regular consumption of bread and beer.
Unless you find they both big ‘hooks’ for you, it’s about moderation IMO. Find a rule or guideline that works to avoid your slippery slope (that’s what she said?). Very few people can figure out and stick to an “optimally designed” diet/life/whatever. If you can’t enjoy a ‘vice’ on occasion, what’s the point?

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Unless you find they both big ‘hooks’ for you, it’s about moderation IMO. Find a rule or guideline that works to avoid your slippery slope (that’s what she said?). Very few people can figure out and stick to an “optimally designed” diet/life/whatever. If you can’t enjoy a ‘vice’ on occasion, what’s the point?
Sure. I just said regular consumption.

I find my dietary control is easiest to exercise at the grocery store. If it's in front of me, odds are I'll eat it. I have a metabolism and appetite heavily optimized to store up fat for the long, lean winter that will be arriving any day now. It's much easier to say, "Never** eat these things". (** knowing full well I'll cheat on occasion, but if I'm good most of the time that's close enough)

Edit: This is the reason why keto would never work for me. There's a 0% chance of my wife and kids joining me, so I'll be surrounded by temptation and falling off the wagon constantly. Plus I don't get much moral support from the wife, who is one of those horrible people who has no trouble at all controlling her weight and likes to keep every kind of chocolate in the house so that when she has a craving she can have a half bite, be satisfied, and put it away.

• 1Like