Weight Loss Thread

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
People are different some thrive on carnivore while other don't, but for sure vegan is shit.
Idk I'm pretty sure this is bullshit. Shaolin and Buddhist monks are mostly vegans and they tend to be very healthy. Not to mention the fact that there are world class athletes that are vegan/vegetarian. The carnivore diet on the other hand is complete nonsense trash and terrible for you.

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Idk I'm pretty sure this is bullshit. Shaolin and Buddhist monks are mostly vegans and they tend to be very healthy. Not to mention the fact that there are world class athletes that are vegan/vegetarian. The carnivore diet on the other hand is complete nonsense trash and terrible for you.
Like every single study showing that "meat is bad", the most likely reason that Buddhist live longer (do they? can't find for sure) is that they eat less calories (I've seen 150 to 300 less calories per day).
But even then, living a bit longer isn't such a great thing if you're frail, the older you get, the more protein you need to maintain your muscle mass, and you can get decent amount of protein while eating vegan anyway, some plants have up to 75% proteins.. I'm pretty sure those top tier athlete on vegan diet, aren't running on salad and fruits. And again, this isn't a forum for young athlete, but for middle-aged to grandpas, what you can get away with in your 20's 30's isn't the same as in your 40+.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, complex carbs are fucking awful for the human body. That said, adding exercise and just counting calories would solve 99% of the problems we are seeing these days. We just need to go back to publicly shaming the fuck out of fatties and make sure everyone gets that memo. You so fat. Eat less and exercise more fattie.
Just wanted to correct this. Complex carbs are actually good for you. You're thinking of simple carbs. Those are bad for you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jmal2000

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Hey guys, I was fat my whole life growing up till I graduated high school.

wkWT9.jpg

I was an everquest player for sure. I browsed these forums back then too. I went to college, took an EMT class, took biology classes got inspired, met a girl, ran day and night picturing her face and lost 100 lbs. It didnt work out with the girl but since then I've worked hard on my personality. I listened to early days of JRE and memorized Joe Rogan speeches. I got a lot of handshakes doing this with people. I listened to Opie and Anthony and would pause during jokes and tags and add my own tag in. All the hardwork paid off, I became better at talking and being funny. I've had a successful life with being with very pretty women fortunately. That may be due to my looks. Check out what I turned into.

looksmaxxing.png

When I first started losing weight, I ran day and night and swam. I drank green tea all the time and ate healthy carbs with grilled chicken mostly. Tuna and cottage cheese. Good stuff. Towards 60 lbs into my weight loss I switched over to Keto. I lost 40lbs on Keto. I ate eggs and meats and cheese. It was an awesome diet. But the dark temptation of carbs is great and one carb day can spiral into more carb days lol. Anyways, I recommend physical activity and I think Keto is an excellent choice if you want to eat good food and lose weight at same time.

• 1Like

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Peter Attia is pretty bang on for middle aged guys.

go check his stuff out.

eating way more protein was huge for me

wegovy and all that shit for weight loss is questionable to me because you are losing muscle too.
Go check out his book outlive super good book

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Peter Attia is pretty bang on for middle aged guys.

go check his stuff out.

eating way more protein was huge for me

wegovy and all that shit for weight loss is questionable to me because you are losing muscle too.
Go check out his book outlive super good book
I had heard bits and pieces of his podcast and saw the audio book on Spotify. Was a great listen and changed the way I look at things a bit. The whole “how do you want to live the last couple decades of your life” question is great.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Interesting calculator I found watching a Renaissance Periodization video. It estimates your maximum lean mass and body fat based on skeletal and muscular measurements. It seemed pretty much dead on for me, not that I've done a DEXA scan or anything like that.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
Interesting calculator I found watching a Renaissance Periodization video. It estimates your maximum lean mass and body fat based on skeletal and muscular measurements. It seemed pretty much dead on for me, not that I've done a DEXA scan or anything like that.

That was a fun a little exercise, and it was a great excuse to get the wife to put her hands on me.😉

It's also in-line with how I feel I look, over developed neck and chest. Underdeveloped arms, forarms, legs, and perfect calves. 🤣

I always joke that my calves stole all the genetics from my arms. According to that I need to lose 10 lbs of fat to reach my goal of 12% but at age 44 I can't see myself adding 40lbs of lean mass to reach my potential.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
That was a fun a little exercise, and it was a great excuse to get the wife to put her hands on me.😉

It's also in-line with how I feel I look, over developed neck and chest. Underdeveloped arms, forarms, legs, and perfect calves. 🤣

I always joke that my calves stole all the genetics from my arms. According to that I need to lose 10 lbs of fat to reach my goal of 12% but at age 44 I can't see myself adding 40lbs of lean mass to reach my potential.

Never skip leg day!

I just skipped all the other days for many many years

Screenshot_20240412-201458.png

• 1Worf

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well, I gotta say, this just motivates me to hit the weights harder. Im already pretty lean, i'd look pretty tremendous with another 16lbs of muscle.

Too bad it's gonna take me probably 5 years to build that.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Been wanting to start a gym for more serious conditioning and work out than I get from hobby farm. Sure I would love to drop 10 in fat but more actual kinda building poorly oriented in mind. Just sucks at 40.

Anyway anytime fitness near me, damn 50$ a month it looks like before any coaching or anything? Maybe I'm spoiled seeing kinda garbage places like planet fitness being cheaper? Have no idea having never used one beyond municipal one at my old location.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been wanting to start a gym for more serious conditioning and work out than I get from hobby farm. Sure I would love to drop 10 in fat but more actual kinda building poorly oriented in mind. Just sucks at 40.

Anyway anytime fitness near me, damn 50$ a month it looks like before any coaching or anything? Maybe I'm spoiled seeing kinda garbage places like planet fitness being cheaper? Have no idea having never used one beyond municipal one at my old location.
I go to workout anytime and its 40 bucks for premium with the sauna, tanning stuff, etc. and access to the stretch/class room. Elite Fitness isnt too far away and they want $60 and they dont have all that extra stuff. Just nicer equipment. Turns out, even at the higher price point, that EF is the most popular gym in town and with it being that packed all the time, I'd rather just go home than wait on "my turn" to use something as trivial as a Leg Extension machine. There is a Power Lifter gym thats a lot smaller, but they have all the machines/weights I would practically use, but they want $125 a month. .. Ive thought about going elsewhere from WoA as you can tell, but Im pretty comfortable there for now. Keep in mind that you can cancel 30 days in advance at these more popular gyms, unlike the older gyms that make you sign up for a year.

Planet Fitness and all their Lunk Head rules is pretty much the safe space of gyms, and I cant imagine anyone taking themselves serious there. Thats why its something like ten / fifteen bucks a month, I would wager.

I completely cleaned out my basement 6 months ago and Ive been slowly filling it with a bunch of the free weights stuff. Squat Rack with a Bench that can incline/decline/upright. Adjustable bar bells. etc. But even after being probably three grand deep into equipment, I'm still missing a ton of stuff. So I have to go to the gym to get a proper workout, whether I want to or not. But when I have long days, its a nice reprieve to have some stuff at home. Which, convenience is all its adding up to be cause it would take 6+ years to get in the same expense range.

Best of luck though, Im just a touch younger than you and Im probably in the best shape Ive been in since I was in the Army. Just like School, you'll pass if you just go to class. I think Ill have a small bit of body dysmorphia no matter what I do, but Im mostly happy with where Im at now.

Sludig

I go to workout anytime and its 40 bucks for premium with the sauna, tanning stuff, etc. and access to the stretch/class room. Elite Fitness isnt too far away and they want $60 and they dont have all that extra stuff. Just nicer equipment. Turns out, even at the higher price point, that EF is the most popular gym in town and with it being that packed all the time, I'd rather just go home than wait on "my turn" to use something as trivial as a Leg Extension machine. There is a Power Lifter gym thats a lot smaller, but they have all the machines/weights I would practically use, but they want $125 a month. .. Ive thought about going elsewhere from WoA as you can tell, but Im pretty comfortable there for now. Keep in mind that you can cancel 30 days in advance at these more popular gyms, unlike the older gyms that make you sign up for a year.

Planet Fitness and all their Lunk Head rules is pretty much the safe space of gyms, and I cant imagine anyone taking themselves serious there. Thats why its something like ten / fifteen bucks a month, I would wager.

I completely cleaned out my basement 6 months ago and Ive been slowly filling it with a bunch of the free weights stuff. Squat Rack with a Bench that can incline/decline/upright. Adjustable bar bells. etc. But even after being probably three grand deep into equipment, I'm still missing a ton of stuff. So I have to go to the gym to get a proper workout, whether I want to or not. But when I have long days, its a nice reprieve to have some stuff at home. Which, convenience is all its adding up to be cause it would take 6+ years to get in the same expense range.

Best of luck though, Im just a touch younger than you and Im probably in the best shape Ive been in since I was in the Army. Just like School, you'll pass if you just go to class. I think Ill have a small bit of body dysmorphia no matter what I do, but Im mostly happy with where Im at now.
For a self conscious beginner PF might still be good for 6 months if I can keep with it. Though rural, they are 20-25 minutes away unless I go on the way home from work but then I have my gun and gear to worry about. Even the town on my address is a good 10 minutes away but that's doable, but my only options are this tiny anytime, a crossfire place, and what might be interesting is a triad sorta mma place.

Daidraco

For a self conscious beginner PF might still be good for 6 months if I can keep with it. Though rural, they are 20-25 minutes away unless I go on the way home from work but then I have my gun and gear to worry about. Even the town on my address is a good 10 minutes away but that's doable, but my only options are this tiny anytime, a crossfire place, and what might be interesting is a triad sorta mma place.
So a few things. First, it sounds like you're not 100% committed in the first place. So I would take steps that would "make" you commit. For me, it was a long term break up. Boohoo, Im better now. But for you, Idk what that could be. But I sure af wouldnt sign up to go to a Gym where dedicated people wouldnt be at, ya know? You wouldnt group with the retards in an MMO, same principal. I want to be around the monster dude, so I can gain inspiration from him. Maybe pick up a thing or two on form, or try out a new exercise. I want to be around the smoking hot women so I can feel like I might impress them, and then dream about being 21 again.

As for your, I assume, pistol? I go to the gym after I leave the office, too. Im no LEO, but I keep my pistol under locked w/quick release in my car. I work out form time to time with a County Sheriff's Deputy, and he doesnt seem all that concerned about his squad car being out front. Though, you might just live in an area where its questionable. Idk. But again, all the best man. I know its really hard to get started, regardless. Excuses can roll off the tongue far easier than putting in the work.

Sludig

So a few things. First, it sounds like you're not 100% committed in the first place. So I would take steps that would "make" you commit. For me, it was a long term break up. Boohoo, Im better now. But for you, Idk what that could be. But I sure af wouldnt sign up to go to a Gym where dedicated people wouldnt be at, ya know? You wouldnt group with the retards in an MMO, same principal. I want to be around the monster dude, so I can gain inspiration from him. Maybe pick up a thing or two on form, or try out a new exercise. I want to be around the smoking hot women so I can feel like I might impress them, and then dream about being 21 again.

As for your, I assume, pistol? I go to the gym after I leave the office, too. Im no LEO, but I keep my pistol under locked w/quick release in my car. I work out form time to time with a County Sheriff's Deputy, and he doesnt seem all that concerned about his squad car being out front. Though, you might just live in an area where its questionable. Idk. But again, all the best man. I know its really hard to get started, regardless. Excuses can roll off the tongue far easier than putting in the work.
For me the committed challenge I think is because I'm already just so tired. Aside from job, I'm a half time farmer and do more than my fair share of the housework too. I already would struggle to find a few hour other than my days off in-between my long to do list.

Also a little nervous about hurting myself is why I want to get guided. I've been having lots of issues with various joints since doing so the farm stuff, one week it's my knee, a few months of my fingers on main hand feeling painful like they want to snap even just scrubbing my hair in the shower, backs doing pretty good though after surgery but still a little rough in the morning. So it's just like I'm not sure I can even overcome being a little broken/ frail.
I should just take a weighted bag and run my acreage/ country road and just working on that Cardo likely would be better than worrying about not killing myself with a dead lift.

And yes, armor gun belt etc. Not crazy keen on leaving in the car, but even with a locking locker might be awkward to walk in with. So close to home or just weekends which for me is Monday/ tuesday might be best rather than trying to convince with work commute.

1 hour each way from with doesn't help my free time problem for sure.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
For me the committed challenge I think is because I'm already just so tired. Aside from job, I'm a half time farmer and do more than my fair share of the housework too. I already would struggle to find a few hour other than my days off in-between my long to do list.

Also a little nervous about hurting myself is why I want to get guided. I've been having lots of issues with various joints since doing so the farm stuff, one week it's my knee, a few months of my fingers on main hand feeling painful like they want to snap even just scrubbing my hair in the shower, backs doing pretty good though after surgery but still a little rough in the morning. So it's just like I'm not sure I can even overcome being a little broken/ frail.
I should just take a weighted bag and run my acreage/ country road and just working on that Cardo likely would be better than worrying about not killing myself with a dead lift.

And yes, armor gun belt etc. Not crazy keen on leaving in the car, but even with a locking locker might be awkward to walk in with. So close to home or just weekends which for me is Monday/ tuesday might be best rather than trying to convince with work commute.

1 hour each way from with doesn't help my free time problem for sure.
Just start small and first focus on making it a habit. I don't know how physical your work around the farm is but you can fill in the gaps with squats, lunges, push ups, sit ups/flutter kicks, get a kettlebell, put up a pull up bar. If you need more weight, get at backpack and through some rocks wrapped up in an old towel.

The tiredness could be a sleep quantity/quality thing as well. I find that a quick 5-10 min walk in the morning makes a pretty noticeable difference in energy throughout the day

Also take a look at hot/cold exposure, again for a boost in energy at least for a few hours in the morning - I've worked my way into adding a couple minutes of cold to my shower. I'll start with it nice and warm to wash my hair, then drop it down so there's as little warm water as possible without the flow being restricted to finish up everything else. I've been going that for a good 2 months, it sucks pretty much every time but I feel great afterward.

Access to a proper sauna and/or cold tank(?) is the primary reason I'm considering a gym membership. My employer will cover up to $300 or $400 a year for health/fitness related stuff, so I'll be able to cover most or all of the cost.

Daidraco

With what you're saying, and it sounds like a history of it (Im not back tracking in this thread, sorry) - you may just want to go to a physical therapist and have him prescribe you a workout routine. I did it with my hips and I did it with my left shoulder. Even though my Hip was from a motorcycle accident, both of them were rectified by adjusting my form and practicing it with him, and adding other workouts that work the surrounding muscles that are weak.

I do RDL's now, but I worked up to them. The full DL, Im just not a fan of and I think all that jerking and shit is like you said.. something that if you arent doing it perfectly, will fuck your back up for a week and then you might not even go back to the Gym at all after healing. I typically stay away from dangerous routines like that, just because like you.. I stand to lose a lot if Im not actively able to work and go places.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Have you guys gone over testosterone boosters before? Or do we have a better thread for that?

I'm not trying to lose weight at all (208lbs with 16% bodyfat) but I'm looking for a "best" test booster that also isn't a shit ton of money/month....