Weight Loss Thread

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
From what I have read the people at that site and others are a sort of counterbalance to the whole Keto/Low carb proponents. Meaning you see a lot of Keto based strategies for people trying to get lean or lose fat. That can lead to a bunch of skinny fat people. When I try to eat paleo I always have a lot of things like sweet potatoes unless I'm really trying to cut hard for short periods of time. Many people seem to want to be in Ketosis like... all the time. If that works for you that's great but it's not for everyone or every situation.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I added a TON of carbs back into my diet (it's my highest macro), and I just have so much more energy and I'm finally able to squat heavy again.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Interesting article:http://eattoperform.com/2013/05/05/e...y-fat-edition/

rrr_img_41750.png

This is targeted at people who do low carb and high intensity work like weight lifting, crossfit, (I guess P90x and Insanity would fall in there too). TLDR, eat starches and carbs like (sweet) potatoes, rice, bananas, oats and lift heavy if you want to get muscle and stay lean.

Excerpt:
Nothing new/radical there.

Low carb for fat loss until you're lean enough for your body to handle carbs efficiently, reintroduce for muscle growth

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Nothing new/radical there.

Low carb for fat loss until you're lean enough for your body to handle carbs efficiently, reintroduce for muscle growth
So basically Atkins?

When did low carb diets become "You're in ketosis 100% of the time forever!"? My guess is these articles are worded in such a way to speak to people who don't actually understand what diets like Atkins and South Beach really are and do them completely half assed and incorrectly.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-4.aspx

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-...his-Phase.aspx

Interesting article:http://eattoperform.com/2013/05/05/e...y-fat-edition/

rrr_img_41750.png

This is targeted at people who do low carb and high intensity work like weight lifting, crossfit, (I guess P90x and Insanity would fall in there too). TLDR, eat starches and carbs like (sweet) potatoes, rice, bananas, oats and lift heavy if you want to get muscle and stay lean.

Excerpt:
This is why you carb-load every 7 days if you're on a low-carb diet like keto. It helps retain lean mass and gives you fuel for the upcoming week's workouts. Bodybuilders in the 70's use to do this all the time (hence the "cheat days are good for you" advice started)

Now the problem is most people turn cheat days into cheat weekends. Hell, some even forget to stop cheating.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think I may have a malabsorption problem, but I'm not really sure, it could just be a fiber problem. Basically every time I eat fucking beans, I shit those babies out and they're completely undigested lol. You can see them in the stool. It could be excessive fiber and the beans are just getting pushed through without being absorbed, or I may have a serious problem.

Probably the former... but it's the internet, so I pretty much think I have AIDS now.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I have to retake nutrition again because of the damned curriculum, blah. Oh well, bringing back the reviews...

Feeling a little fat as of late, especially after doing that squat for 6 weeks workout. Going to do the Spartacus workout thing again once a day. Did it today and did three different Spartacus workouts (the original, the 2011, and the 2013 one). Talk about drenched in sweat.: |

edit: Itlan, what's your daily intake of insoluble fiber? And soluble fiber?

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Uhm, a fuckton, and a fuckton, I would guesstimate.

Some days I'm well above 80g total, but I don't distinguish between insoluble and soluble, mainly because a lot of packages don't and neither does MyFitnessPal.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Usually. Especially with the high protein diet. Other times I think there's so much fiber it just passes through me without breaking down the food lol.

I'm USUALLY around 50g, which seems to be the sweet spot for regularly bowel movements that are solid. Under that I get constipation, over that diarrhea/stringy poops.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
You get 50g of fiber? At that point, you'll probably have severe gas and diarrhea. You should take a bulk former like Metamucil or Konsyl. BTW, the RDA for fiber is 25-32g/day. Most people don't get that, lol.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
clocked in at 10.9% body fat yesterday so 2 weeks max and I should be at 10%. Just noticed veins leading from groin to abs for the first time when looking in the mirror

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
You get 50g of fiber? At that point, you'll probably have severe gas and diarrhea. You should take a bulk former like Metamucil or Konsyl. BTW, the RDA for fiber is 25-32g/day. Most people don't get that, lol.
Yep. Basically. I fart like crazy lmao, could just be fiber overload.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have any legs-free cardio ideas? Knee surgery didn't go as well as hoped, but I'd really like to get some cardio going again.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kayaking actually sounds like a lot of fun, and doable. Elliptical is still a no-go. The goal of the surgery was to correct a patellar tracking issue, and 3 months post-surgery it's still tracking laterally. Anything that causes the patella to move under weight results in pain. PT's been really slow.