Weight Loss Thread

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really you think so? Even after the almonds, egg, greek yogurt, and feta + whatever for dinner? I was thinking about adding chicken to the lunch though.
Yeah, one egg is like 6 or 7 grams of protein. Almonds are great for the fat, same with yogurt and feta. I'd definitely add some chicken but run a sample day through Fitday.com and see what the numbers are and post it.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Ok, ignoring all the "will never work" comments since I agree with them in principle and have stated so, I have an interesting issue that I can't explain.

I took new measurements last night with the tape and scales as it was 2 weeks since the last lot and found that I have lost 2" on stomach and chest, 1" on waist, added 1.25" to my calves and put on 1kg of weight. I just don't understand how that works out given my other measurements like hips etc are static, I don't think that even with muscle being more dense than fat that the gains on my calves would be so much more than the losses on my torso.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ugh.. Just got my cholesterol results.. I'm at 260... Apparently I'm suppose to be under 200. Doc wanted to put me on meds but I told her I wanted to do it through nutrition. I had a lazy few months before Christmas with sweets/fried foods. I've been eating way better since they actually took that test. One thing I do eat a lot of is whole eggs. 4-6 a day. I'm going to move to the cholesterol free stuff and do some research on food to eat that helps reduce it. I'm still pretty much on that Stillman diet. I basically eat eggs, fat free cheese, chicken, turkey bacon, tuna and shrimp six days a week and one day I eat whatever I want. I've consistently lost 2-5lbs a week since I started. I can't imagine minus the eggs those foods are keeping my cholesterol up?

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ugh.. Just got my cholesterol results.. I'm at 260... Apparently I'm suppose to be under 200. Doc wanted to put me on meds but I told her I wanted to do it through nutrition. I had a lazy few months before Christmas with sweets/fried foods. I've been eating way better since they actually took that test. One thing I do eat a lot of is whole eggs. 4-6 a day. I'm going to move to the cholesterol free stuff and do some research on food to eat that helps reduce it. I'm still pretty much on that Stillman diet. I basically eat eggs, fat free cheese, chicken, turkey bacon, tuna and shrimp six days a week and one day I eat whatever I want. I've consistently lost 2-5lbs a week since I started. I can't imagine minus the eggs those foods are keeping my cholesterol up?
Shrimp contain quite a bit of cholesterol...how much shrimp are you eating?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Ok, ignoring all the "will never work" comments since I agree with them in principle and have stated so, I have an interesting issue that I can't explain.

I took new measurements last night with the tape and scales as it was 2 weeks since the last lot and found that I have lost 2" on stomach and chest, 1" on waist, added 1.25" to my calves and put on 1kg of weight. I just don't understand how that works out given my other measurements like hips etc are static, I don't think that even with muscle being more dense than fat that the gains on my calves would be so much more than the losses on my torso.
I wouldn't bother trying to make sense of anything. Fat loss/muscle growth can seem so random and weird sometimes. This is one reason I try not to focus on the scale and don't bother with measurements. I just go by how I look in the mirror and how my clothes fit.

In addition to the eggs and shrimp, which have already been pointed out to you, check out how much cholesterol is in the cheese you usually eat. Some types of cheeses can be pretty bad in terms of cholesterol.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't bother trying to make sense of anything. Fat loss/muscle growth can seem so random and weird sometimes. This is one reason I try not to focus on the scale and don't bother with measurements. I just go by how I look in the mirror and how my clothes fit.
Yeah, I try not to worry too much about the scales, just like a weekly check to watch for any wild fluctuations. Measurements I figured would be more accurate in terms of seeing body change, after so many years with a fucked up body image and just seeing myself as a blob whether I have lost weight or not I need some form of solid indicator that there are changes happening so will keep checking them every few weeks but I totally hear what you're saying about just using clothing fit as the main inidicator.

Problem I have there is that all my clothes are still pretty much the "fat me" clothes, just using belts to hold pants up etc (and even then all my belts have no more space for new holes) as I keep holding off on buying new clothes for fear of wasting money by either putting weight back on and not being able to wear them or losing more weight and then having to go spend more money. Things like my boardshorts, workout shorts etc that use a drawstring tie-off are noticable though and have had to re-tie a few pairs of them a couple of times the last few weeks as they get looser on my waist.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider

Ummm, 1 liter of water weighs 1 kg (thank you metric system). You could probably drink 1 liter of water in a sitting no problem, maybe you just hadn't pissed in a while.

1kg + or - on a scale means absolutely nothing. 2" off your stomach is much harder to lose (unless you were completely stuff/bloated the first measurement and had just woken up after an entire night of not eating on the other)

P.S. I've been doing the same thing with my clothes, procrastinating buying anything new, even with my belt on it's tightest (I used to used the loosest loop at my heaviest, I still have to pull my pants up every couple of minutes) If I don't wear a belt, my pants will literally fall right off.... Personally, I kinda like it, it reminds me that I'm making progress.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Ummm, 1 liter of water weighs 1 kg (thank you metric system). You could probably drink 1 liter of water in a sitting no problem, maybe you just hadn't pissed in a while.

1kg + or - on a scale means absolutely nothing. 2" off your stomach is much harder to lose (unless you were completely stuff/bloated the first measurement and had just woken up after an entire night of not eating on the other)

P.S. I've been doing the same thing with my clothes, procrastinating buying anything new, even with my belt on it's tightest (I used to used the loosest loop at my heaviest, I still have to pull my pants up every couple of minutes) If I don't wear a belt, my pants will literally fall right off.... Personally, I kinda like it, it reminds me that I'm making progress.
Yeah, normally I'll weigh myself after waking up or just before bed (yep, know I should do it at a consistent time/day) so those explanations are the most likely. As for the measurements, I've had 53" chest and stomach for ages so first measurement was fine, and have retested over the last 2 days and am definitely down to 51" so I'd say they are accurate so that's one positive.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Weight in the short term is only going to tell you much if you weigh yourself every morning right after taking a piss and before eating/drinking anything. If you do that, it will actually be pretty consistent. And you can use something like the Hacker's Diet online to track changes:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/

Sample of mine for the past couple months, when I haven't been doing much different and just in stasis in terms of diet and exercise (I feel shame):

rrr_img_10738.png

McCheese

Weight in the short term is only going to tell you much if you weigh yourself every morning right after taking a piss and before eating/drinking anything.
Yep this is the best way to do it, and it's how I have been doing it for almost the past year.

It's amazing how much your weight can fluctuate over even small periods. I weighed myself once immediately after waking up and taking a piss and took a note of the number. Then I skipped breakfast, went to the gym, worked out for an hour, took a shower, and weighed myself again and I was 2 pounds heavier (in the same clothes). Go figure.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep this is the best way to do it, and it's how I have been doing it for almost the past year.

It's amazing how much your weight can fluctuate over even small periods. I weighed myself once immediately after waking up and taking a piss and took a note of the number. Then I skipped breakfast, went to the gym, worked out for an hour, took a shower, and weighed myself again and I was 2 pounds heavier (in the same clothes). Go figure.
You typically always weight more after and even the day after lifting weight.. Is that what you did or was just cardio? The body holds onto a bunch of water when you lift.

McCheese

You typically always weight more after and even the day after lifting weight.. Is that what you did or was just cardio? The body holds onto a bunch of water when you lift.
Yeah I lifted, but I only took a few sips from the water fountain between weighings. So I don't know where the extra water weight could have come from.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Sounds to me like an inaccurate scale. If you literally consumed nothing other than a trivial amount of water, but also worked out and likely lost a reasonable amount of water through perspiration and respiration it's pretty much impossible to weigh a couple pounds more. On the other hand, consuming a pound or two of water during exercise isn't much at all, so perhaps you consumed more water than you think. It all comes down to water, really. For me that first piss in the morning alone is generally 1-2 lbs, or around a liter. Then with breakfast I'll generally have a large glass of water and large glass of milk, which pretty much evens everything out.

Fierlen

Trakanon Raider
McCheese... One thing that may have made you increase weight between the two times you weighed yourself is showering. A fair bit of water can be absorbed through your skin especially if you were dehydrated.

Otis_sl

shitlord
I dropped 140lbs by switching from the standard American diet of pure shitty food to a diet that consists of meat and vegetables and the occasional piece of fruit. I cut out grains, sugar, and most dairy and the weight melted off me.

elbas

Molten Core Raider
There are some theories which say that your cholesterol is mostly created by your liver in response to carbohydrates. Dietary cholesterol may have a minimal impact on your cholesterol number. This may explain why people on Atkins have improved cholesterol values even though they're eating high amounts of dietary cholesterol.