Weight Loss Thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't even get how you guys go from 180 to 250+ without flipping out... I gain 10lbs and my clothes don't fit. How do you fat fucks let it get so out of hand?
Back in highschool my metabolism was high, didn't give a fuck what I ate, lifted weights and it sort of just all worked out. After I turned 18 my metabolism dropped, stopped going to the gym, and my eating habits remained. I put on about 40 pounds in the last 10 years, so it's nothing major. It would just be when I needed to buy clothes they always seemed to keep getting bigger.

I'm losing weight now and it's a different feeling.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I don't even get how you guys go from 180 to 250+ without flipping out... I gain 10lbs and my clothes don't fit. How do you fat fucks let it get so out of hand?
I went from 180 - 280 over the course of about 6 years. It started when I got my girlfriend (now wife) and the main factor being a job in IT. The first two through three years I gained around 30 - 40 lbs. It was a combination of going through a highly regimented bachelor lifesyle (running 5ks, intervals, etc) to a slower paced go out to dinner for dates etc. I would try and exercise or diet or what have you and it would maintain for a while then I would just stop caring.

The job I worked was 70 - 100 hours per week and a high stress environment. By the end my body just started to shut down / sleep as a way to get away from the stress. I understand exercise may have helped the stress, etc. but hindsight is 20/20. The thought of doing anything other than work / sleep was rarely present in my mind.

Once you reach a certain point, gaining additional weight isn't really noticeable. I mean, going from 250 - 280, sure you need slightly bigger pants, but aesthetically it is pretty much the same. At the point it is very easy to stop caring. 'Thankfully' my body found an equillibrium in between 280 - 290 and I would have had to go nuts on food to gain more weight.

On the bright side, I acquired a new job 3 months ago that is pretty strict 40 hours / week, no stress, and it has allowed me to start regaining control.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Except the majority of people in a gym are doing cardio. Have you ever been to a gym? A lot of them it's just rows and rows of treadmills and stair steppers and ellipticals.

The problem with cardio is that it's a fixed effort. Once your body adapts to the stresses of it, it'll never develop further. The only thing you can do is increase the length of your runs in time/distance, and that's just endurance. So yes, if you want to be skinny fat, by all means do cardio. Cardio your fucking face off. But if you want to change the way you look, you need to do something where you can increase the stresses placed on your body. Weight lifting is the answer.

Here's a good article. It's written about a woman, but it's nerd focused so it may play well here.

Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness
I have been reading this site for like two days now, really good stuff. This guy pushes Paleo is a big way which I'm not a fan of, sounds like fad shit to me, but the basic principle of "eat better and stop eating stupid shit like muffins or whatever" holds.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, overall the site is pretty good. I've noticed a crossfit/paleo type lean to it which I'm not a fan of (I shit on Dashel pretty hard in his paleo thread), but otherwise it's a good starting point for someone wanting more information.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
A lot of good info there, thanks for posting it.
smile.png

Decado

Likely a slow, gradual process that innocuously sneaks up on you. Inactivity, pop, stress, lower expectations, and/or mental health issues make it all that much easier.
This, deceptively easy with changes in lifestyle etc.

I'm just over the 40yr old mark, about 245 lbs and realistically need to lose the 45 lbs or so. Last few years i've done not bad in giving up smokes/fizzy drink/alcohol however the weight has kept going up mainly due to poor eating habits and doing no exercise at all.

Recently started with cutting out all the rubbish between meals, watching my portion size and increasing the fruit/veg intake. At the moment I'm only doing a 15-20 min walk a day since that's all I can manage but eventually that will build up to a decent run.

Hopefully a lb or 2 a week will get me back to a reasonable size and fitness level
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Weighed myself yesterday, lost about 10 pounds this month. We've been hitting it pretty hard and I've been counting my calories and being really strict about it - it really works wonders. I've always had a real trouble losing any weight. I'd blame it on medical issues, or some cosmic force, but in the end what it really came down to was I was believing I was eating far less than I actually was. When you pop open the ice cream, measure it out, and see how many calories you were actually taking in before it's quite shocking. I still have ice cream at the end of the night, but I've moved to a light low-sugar variant rather than the regular stuff - and I've started measuring it with a cup. It's such a dramatic change of pace to be on the losing weight side. My fiance has hovered now around 97 pounds. I smacked some sense into her (not literally) and she figured we were all right. We have her on a maintenance plan now so hopefully she'll sit at this weight until the wedding passes. I figure after the wedding we can start to adjust things, but with the dress fitted and everything we really don't want to fluctuate. She does look pretty smoking going from 130->97, she lost a lot of boob fat though.. I liked them larger
smile.png
. And her ass is smaller.. I liked it before.

Anyways, I have type 2 diabetes. Not sure if I've disclosed it here. It came as a family trait as well as my poor dieting. Back in WoW vanilla I hit the raids hard, like 7 days a week for 6 hours a day, I was going for world firsts. I was eating a nice diet of Wendy's every night for a couple of years and it finally caught up to me. Right now I am at a point where my blood sugar is low enough that I don't need medicine for the first time in about 6 years, all because I changed my lifestyle and started to take a hard look at what I was doing. I'm hoping that I can lower my blood sugar enough to the point where it is in a non-diabetic state consistently. Here's to hoping. This month I went from 225->215.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Yeah, overall the site is pretty good. I've noticed a crossfit/paleo type lean to it which I'm not a fan of (I shit on Dashel pretty hard in his paleo thread), but otherwise it's a good starting point for someone wanting more information.
Paleo advice is generally very solid and backed up pretty well by science (that is the result of cutting processed foods and especially sugar, not necessarily the exact reasoning behind it).

ubiquitrips

Paleo advice is generally very solid and backed up pretty well by science (that is the result of cutting processed foods and especially sugar, not necessarily the exact reasoning behind it).
While I am not at debate level for Paleo, I can echo what I have experienced over the past month. I will probably do a longer update towards the end of the month of basically 30 days on the Bulletproof Diet (modified Paleo). The jist of it is I haven't felt better in a long time. I am able to sleep through the night (was an issue for me), wake up before my alarm, feel overall more refreshed and not groggy. This was all without exercise as well. I am trying to be semi scientific about this process so I only introduce one change a week. Even though my Yoga DVDs came early, I am going to wait until Sunday to kick it off so I have good data.

I cut out starch / bread heavy eating and went over to no bread at all and all carbs from vegetables. The biggest thing I had in the past month for Carbs was a Sweet Potato, other than that no normal potatos, pasta, bread, anything.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Weighed myself yesterday, lost about 10 pounds this month. We've been hitting it pretty hard and I've been counting my calories and being really strict about it - it really works wonders. I've always had a real trouble losing any weight. I'd blame it on medical issues, or some cosmic force, but in the end what it really came down to was I was believing I was eating far less than I actually was. When you pop open the ice cream, measure it out, and see how many calories you were actually taking in before it's quite shocking. I still have ice cream at the end of the night, but I've moved to a light low-sugar variant rather than the regular stuff - and I've started measuring it with a cup. It's such a dramatic change of pace to be on the losing weight side. My fiance has hovered now around 97 pounds. I smacked some sense into her (not literally) and she figured we were all right. We have her on a maintenance plan now so hopefully she'll sit at this weight until the wedding passes. I figure after the wedding we can start to adjust things, but with the dress fitted and everything we really don't want to fluctuate. She does look pretty smoking going from 130->97, she lost a lot of boob fat though.. I liked them larger
smile.png
. And her ass is smaller.. I liked it before.

Anyways, I have type 2 diabetes. Not sure if I've disclosed it here. It came as a family trait as well as my poor dieting. Back in WoW vanilla I hit the raids hard, like 7 days a week for 6 hours a day, I was going for world firsts. I was eating a nice diet of Wendy's every night for a couple of years and it finally caught up to me. Right now I am at a point where my blood sugar is low enough that I don't need medicine for the first time in about 6 years, all because I changed my lifestyle and started to take a hard look at what I was doing. I'm hoping that I can lower my blood sugar enough to the point where it is in a non-diabetic state consistently. Here's to hoping. This month I went from 225->215.
Tell her to squat. At least twice a week, her ass will never be plumper. Boobs, well yeah, that's the cost of not having a cow for a gf.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah, it's weird because I am a huge proponent for squats/deadlifts/bench press/etc (compound exercises) - but she just won't listen. Tried telling her doing squats is one of the single best exercises you could ever do, but no listen.

It's no real surprise though. How many of you guys know people with chicken legs that won't work out legs at the gym? Almost every single person I know is afraid to do any leg workouts in fear that their "legs will look weird" - news flash, they already fucking do. My brother is huge in upper body and never worked out legs a day in his life, he looks stupid. I love squats, sometimes if you go heavy enough you feel like you ran a marathon after.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I also love the people who tell me squats are bad for my legs/knees. ASS TO GRASS ALL DAY MOTHERFUCKERS!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have been reading this site for like two days now, really good stuff. This guy pushes Paleo is a big way which I'm not a fan of, sounds like fad shit to me, but the basic principle of "eat better and stop eating stupid shit like muffins or whatever" holds.
Crossfit/Paleo is simply better than elliptical/eat crap that most people do, assuming you find a good gym. In fact I'd say it's an excellent fitness 101 regimen and then you can figure out for yourself where to go from there.

Crossfit will introduce you to squats, dead lifts, cleans, press plus all the cardio (they call it metcon) stuff like running, box jumps and whatever else they dream up.

Paleo: Dont eat sugar, avoid processed foods, eat lean meats good fat and veggies.

Pretty basic. Works well for general fitness.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, it's weird because I am a huge proponent for squats/deadlifts/bench press/etc (compound exercises) - but she just won't listen. Tried telling her doing squats is one of the single best exercises you could ever do, but no listen.

It's no real surprise though. How many of you guys know people with chicken legs that won't work out legs at the gym? Almost every single person I know is afraid to do any leg workouts in fear that their "legs will look weird" - news flash, they already fucking do. My brother is huge in upper body and never worked out legs a day in his life, he looks stupid. I love squats, sometimes if you go heavy enough you feel like you ran a marathon after.
Girls are sort of indoctrinated with that. Even in an environment where other girls are doing squats with amazing bodies, some of them still fear it. Gonna look bulky! Or they just are afraid to get under challenging weight.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Crossfit/Paleo is simply better than elliptical/eat crap that most people do, assuming you find a good gym. In fact I'd say it's an excellent fitness 101 regimen and then you can figure out for yourself where to go from there.

Crossfit will introduce you to squats, dead lifts, cleans, press plus all the cardio (they call it metcon) stuff like running, box jumps and whatever else they dream up.

Paleo: Dont eat sugar, avoid processed foods, eat lean meats good fat and veggies.

Pretty basic. Works well for general fitness.
Paleo takes it a step further with the whole war on carbs thing. The overall message of moderation is sound, but taken to the extreme I just don't care for it or think it is necessary.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The people who stress the no gluten thing go overboard sometimes. Still if your goal is weight loss or generally getting "fitter"; avoiding or moderating bagels, pizza, cereals etc is uncontroversial. It's a good base to start from for people who just want to be told what to eat to get fitter. It's also pretty organic meaning people are tweaking it and it's still changing. You'll hear a lot of guys who are/were into paleo talking about the need for carbs now if you're into sports or any performance activity. Sweet potato are most often mentioned.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Girls are sort of indoctrinated with that. Even in an environment where other girls are doing squats with amazing bodies, some of them still fear it. Gonna look bulky! Or they just are afraid to get under challenging weight.
Yeah I mean let's be honest, first of all I doubt any girl is pushing any Test levels that are going to hit them with massive growth and secondly I doubt any are eating 10K calories a day like Arnold was.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I think most people who start eating paleo eventually adapt it to fit their lifestyle and tastes. I think even Rerolled's resident caveman, Dashel, mentioned how he added some grains back into his diet. I personally eat mostly paleo, but I allow myself dairy (can't live without cheese and milk!) and I eat a TON of fruit so it is hardly low carb. I don't really consider it paleo, but rather "clean, healthy eating".

I've never known anyone who followed the rules of paleo like a zealot, and even on paleo websites you'll find lots of individual variations on paleo.

*Edit* Dashel responded while I was typing, but yeah, what he said.