Weight Loss Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Everyone here is right to a degree. You can work out a lot and still be unhealthy if you eat like shit. But you can also be at a healthy weight and still be unhealthy if you eat like shit but just portion control. Also, there's more to health than a number and your heart. There's joint and bone health and other health benefits to exercising that goes beyond the number on the scale. So at the end of the day its a combination of eating right, portion control, and cardio/working out.
Yup it just comes down to what you want "healthy" to be. We all know those skinny as fuck people who can eat everything and not gain a pound or work out. But that doesnt make them healthy. Some people love doing cardio and dont mind looking flabby even though they are skinny. Or just because your jacked or ripped doesnt mean you can run a mile to save your life. Its 70% diet and 30% fitness.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Everyone here is right to a degree. You can work out a lot and still be unhealthy if you eat like shit. But you can also be at a healthy weight and still be unhealthy if you eat like shit but just portion control. Also, there's more to health than a number and your heart. There's joint and bone health and other health benefits to exercising that goes beyond the number on the scale. So at the end of the day its a combination of eating right, portion control, and cardio/working out.
Portion control and calorie counting only matter if you eat bullshit.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Also, while I am quite familiar with yoga pants I had never seen until today yoga short shorts. They look like yoga pants but barely cover the ass. I approve of this look.
Whoever convinced women that leggings, yoga pants, and related shorts were actually symbols of empowerment and suitable for the public deserves a Nobel Prize.

Last edited:
  • 2Quality Calories
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Captain Suave

Portion control and calorie counting only matter if you eat bullshit.
This is definitely untrue. When I was in my jiu jitsu competition phase I tried the "just eat clean" thing and managed to gain weight working out six days a week and eating a diet that was 90% brown rice, chicken, and broccoli. Counting calories is the only thing that works for me.

LiquidDeath

This is definitely untrue. When I was in my jiu jitsu competition phase I tried the "just eat clean" thing and managed to gain weight working out six days a week and eating a diet that was 90% brown rice, chicken, and broccoli. Counting calories is the only thing that works for me.
Haha.

Brown rice is bullshit. It isn't "clean". It is just pure carbs with no other benefit.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It isn't. I currently do it, lots of people do it. Just because you choose to portion control and eat bullshit doesn't mean it is the only way.
Haha.

Brown rice is bullshit. It isn't "clean". It is just pure carbs with no other benefit.
Man you need to read a book on nutrition and basic human biology. Carbs arent bad and are essential for the body, thats an antiquated way of thinking. You can over eat on "clean" foods easily.

LiquidDeath

Man you need to read a book on nutrition and basic human biology. Carbs arent bad and are essential for the body, thats an antiquated way of thinking. You can over eat on "clean" foods easily.
Carbs are certainly not essential for the human body. There is no such thing as an "essential carb" only essential proteins and fats.

For someone suggesting research, you seem to be woefully ignorant on the subject. Does the body, particularly the brain, require glucose? Yes. Thankfully, our body has this process called gluconeogenesis that happily makes all the glucose we need in the absence of dietary carbs.

You sound just like those people who still say dietary cholesterol affects serum cholesterol and that salt affects blood pressure.

*Edit* And get the fuck out of here with "read a book on nutrition". The "experts" have suggested diets for the last 5 decades that have seen a catastrophic rise in diabetes, obesity, and general metabolic syndrome. Why the fuck would I pay any attention to what they have to say?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Carbs are certainly not essential for the human body. There is no such thing as an "essential carb" only essential proteins and fats.

For someone suggesting research, you seem to be woefully ignorant on the subject. Does the body, particularly the brain, require glucose? Yes. Thankfully, our body has this process called gluconeogenesis that happily makes all the glucose we need in the absence of dietary carbs.

You sound just like those people who still say dietary cholesterol affects serum cholesterol and that salt affects blood pressure.

*Edit* And get the fuck out of here with "read a book on nutrition". The "experts" have suggested diets for the last 5 decades that have seen a catastrophic rise in diabetes, obesity, and general metabolic syndrome. Why the fuck would I pay any attention to what they have to say?
He didnt tell you to listen to experts about diets. He told you to learn about human biology and that seems like a necessary idea. Gluconeogenesis is less energy efficient and consumes ATP instead of producing it as well as wastes valuable NADH. Its inefficient and as a result, not healthy. In fact, gluconeogenesis shows how necessary carbs are to our bodies because its a system that has been conserved despite being costly and inefficient. Saying carbs are not essential is pants on head retarded.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

So by "eat clean" you mean keto?
No, there is plenty of keto bullshit that will make you fat if you eat it too much, too.

If you eat mostly meat with at least a modest amount of fat and pair that with whole fruit and full fat dairy then you don't have to portion control or calorie count. Some people like eating vegetables on this but I don't and no research has proved it necessary. That is what I consider clean, and that is how I eat the majority of the time. It has allowed me to maintain the same weight post 40 as I was in highschool without ever feeling hungry or deprived. In fact, over time I have reduced my cheat days simply because of how god-awful I feel when I eat pizza or french fries or any other bullshit like that. I also maintained that weight through the pandemic years without doing any exercise, though I've picked up lifting again because of the fantastic, non-weight related health benefits it provides.

• 1Picard

Captain Suave

whole fruit
Right, because those don't have any carbs.

Also, I guarantee I'd gain weight on that diet without portion control because I'm a natural hog who is optimized to stock up for the long, lean winter that's coming any year now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
No, there is plenty of keto bullshit that will make you fat if you eat it too much, too.

If you eat mostly meat with at least a modest amount of fat and pair that with whole fruit and full fat dairy then you don't have to portion control or calorie count. Some people like eating vegetables on this but I don't and no research has proved it necessary. That is what I consider clean, and that is how I eat the majority of the time. It has allowed me to maintain the same weight post 40 as I was in highschool without ever feeling hungry or deprived. In fact, over time I have reduced my cheat days simply because of how god-awful I feel when I eat pizza or french fries or any other bullshit like that. I also maintained that weight through the pandemic years without doing any exercise, though I've picked up lifting again because of the fantastic, non-weight related health benefits it provides.
More likely you just lucked out with a higher than average metabolism.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This. When Atkins first came out it was billed as the "all the steak you can eat diet". Turns out eating 4,000 calories of protein each day will not make you lose weight unless you are burning calories like a pro athlete.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Your body needs carbs. Carbs were less than 20% of my intake.
Yeah, zero carbs for days on end means you aint pooping and the body will only hold so much poop. Ideally you need carbs, fat and protein each day. The amount and percentage of each is the key.

LiquidDeath

Right, because those don't have any carbs.

Also, I guarantee I'd gain weight on that diet without portion control because I'm a natural hog who is optimized to stock up for the long, lean winter that's coming any year now.

More likely you just lucked out with a higher than average metabolism.

You'd think this because of the horse shit that was spread throughout the media and medical community through the 90s and 00s, but it isn't the case. While I've almost always been skinny, I was consious of my health and diet since I was in college and put on 20 lbs the first semester of freshman year. After that it was eating egg white omelettes, skinless chicken breasts with fat free dipping sauce, and oatmeal as the AHA recommended, all while doing cardio and lifting. And the entire time I was hungry and miserable because I love to eat. I want whole pizzas and giant plates of spaghetti and triple cheeseburgers.

Once I hit my early 30s, I started gaining weight again despite maintaining the same, successful routine I had for over a decade. When I had kids it got worse and I thought "fuck, guess my metabolism is just done" and I started aggressively calorie counting and portion controlling with moderate success. Except I was fucking hungry all the time because I still wanted to eat like a fat kid. Eventually I found keto and Atkins after watching the Fat Head documentary and that was a turning point in my life.

Over the past 7 years, I've tried a lot of variations of keto. All were successful, but the carnivore versions have been the best. I can eat as much meat, eggs, and dairy as I can handle and still never gain a pound. I even do fruit when it is in season and regularly eat tomatoes and avocados. The only time I see weight gain is when I consistently eat bullshit for multiple days over multiple weeks. Due to family stuff, I currently am 5 days on/2 days off the diet and still haven't gained any weight despite feeling like total shit the morning after eating an entire large pizza alone.

I have backed off my "low carb is the only way" position from a few years ago, despite thinking it is the best way. I am more than happy to acknowledge that you can achieve fantastic results with calorie restriction and portion control. Ultimately, though, I don't think those types of diets are sustainable simply because most people can't live the rest of their life on a starvation diet. I know I couldn't, and that is what led me where I am today. I was just tired of being hungry.