Weight Loss Thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Probably the wrong thread for this but just a review of sorts

I've been lifting, cycling, swimming regularly since I was maybe 16 (almost 40) - have a squat rack, dozen bumper plates, kettlebells of all weights basically, carbon road bike and a pool. I use all frequently. Since COVID (and really since the baby was born 19 months ago) I've been using the squat box more infrequently (partly out of caution with kids running around "dad" all the time, and partly because it was kind of a PITA). Switched over to mostly kettlebell exercises only but felt like I was still missing some things from the rack.

Bought a Tonal back in January and haven't looked back. Sold Rack. Kept all but a few kettlebells and between the bells and the Tonal I've probably never been fitter. Not sure if it's the digital weights themselves, the trainers, the instant feedback loop (with #'s, % increases etc) or what but it's crazy to me how effective that machine is. On "off days" (1-2 days a week) I hit my kettlebells and cycle, but the tonal is more gratifying and simple to use. My wife, who has never been into weight training (she'll do pilates, yoga, etc and is really thin naturally) has also been using it 3-5 times a week with unbelievable success. I know that she'd have similar results lifting normally, but this works just as well

This probably sounds like the peloton nonsense I'd hear from people during the honeymoon phase and perhaps it is, but this is different. If you like lifting and weight training, it's the best I've seen and I've had/tried them all.
This thing right?

Looks pretty cool actually.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
that's it - looks weird, and seems like a gimmick but it's not. You get a really good pump and burnout every exercise

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I feel like that can apply to any fitness equipment. "You could use X and do Y for Zth of the price."

You could go lift rocks in a field, but sometimes you just want cool shit.

• 1Quality Calories

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
There is something to be said for the value of gamification. It definitely has a positive effect on motivation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Your body needs carbs. Carbs were less than 20% of my intake.

60+ millions years of evolution disagree with you. Daily carb requirement for a normal human being is 0.
Edit: Pretty sure someone is going to come crying on how glucose is necessary for certain functions. Yeah, it is, but your liver (as long as it's working like it should) is crafty enough to know how to turn fat, carbs or protein into glucose. So if body needs glucose, if you've got fat stores, it'll just make it from stored fat. If that isn't avaliable it'll make it from other stuff.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
60+ millions years of evolution disagree with you. Daily carb requirement for a normal human being is 0.
Yes, if you want to zero in on the semantic difference between "needs" carbohydrates as in "you die if you don't have them" vs "your body works more efficiently if you consume them". You CAN live indefinitely on a pure protein/fat diet, but that's obviously neither the mix we're built for (see our teeth and digestive tract construction, which are extremely similar to our omnivorous primate cousins and not remotely like carnivores) nor close to what was actually consumed by our ancestors in the last 300,000 years as homo sapiens or 300k-60M back in pre-human hominid history. Meat eating was certainly important for the growth of our brains and such, but basically no one thinks that we consumed more than 30-35% of calories from protein even after the advent of hunting. The farther back you go, the more likely it was our ancestors were vegetarian/insectivores.

Last edited:

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is something to be said for the value of gamification. It definitely has a positive effect on motivation.
Absolutely, there’s nothing magical about the peloton. It’s an overpriced workout bike with an iPad strapped to it, but without the classes/scoreboards etc, would I have worked as hard as frequently on a normal exercise bike? Probably not. If it gets the person to work out harder and more often it’s worth the money.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Carbs are a relative recent addition to the human diet in terms of the length of time we’ve been around. The thinking our bodies somehow need carbs is dead wrong. Most humans before “civilization” and advent of farms are mostly meats fruits when they were around and nuts and other such shit. Some carbs? Sure, but not like after we started farming the shit. It’s not like pre civ humans gathered grass seeds and grinding them to make breads.
Pre-civilization average lifespan was also under 30. But I digress. We are omnivores, so we can survive in a wide variety of environments and eat a lot of different things based on what options are available to us.

Eat less if you want to lose weight. Exercise more if you want your muscles and joints to be happy with you.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Decided its time to shed the 10 pounds I put on over the winter. With the price of proteins right now I am skipping low card/high protein and instead just going with a basic across the board calorie intake diet. Since I have been in NY during winter I tend toward warm, stick to the ribs, comfort foods like stews and such. I accept I will shed the weight come spring. Nothing fancy or earth shattering but it is doing the job. Found a free app that I dont need to "create an account for" or log in via FB and shit called my MyNetDiary. It breaks down not just calories but percent of carbs/protein/fat and has a nice library of foods built in (including stuff like the LIDL/Walmart brands).

Breakfast is generally vanilla yogurt with granola and fresh fruit mixed in. Soft baked fruit fill cookie (like a nutra-grain bar) and fruit for lunch. Piece of fruit for a mid-day snack and dinner is lean protein of some form, fresh veggies and a salad. Targeted 1750 calories a day and barely hitting 1500. Dont feel hungry besides the time I should be feeling hungry which is meal time. LIDL has these spongy little refrigerated cakes filled with a honey sweetened cream I have been having for desert. 120 calories and sates my desire for something sweet.

This plus being back in the gym now that winter is over is working well for me. Averaging about 0.25 to 0.5 pounds of weight loss a day. Forgot to mention I only drink unsweetened Earl Grey tea and water.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Decided its time to shed the 10 pounds I put on over the winter. With the price of proteins right now I am skipping low card/high protein and instead just going with a basic across the board calorie intake diet. Since I have been in NY during winter I tend toward warm, stick to the ribs, comfort foods like stews and such. I accept I will shed the weight come spring. Nothing fancy or earth shattering but it is doing the job. Found a free app that I dont need to "create an account for" or log in via FB and shit called my MyNetDiary. It breaks down not just calories but percent of carbs/protein/fat and has a nice library of foods built in (including stuff like the LIDL/Walmart brands).

Breakfast is generally vanilla yogurt with granola and fresh fruit mixed in. Soft baked fruit fill cookie (like a nutra-grain bar) and fruit for lunch. Piece of fruit for a mid-day snack and dinner is lean protein of some form, fresh veggies and a salad. Targeted 1750 calories a day and barely hitting 1500. Dont feel hungry besides the time I should be feeling hungry which is meal time. LIDL has these spongy little refrigerated cakes filled with a honey sweetened cream I have been having for desert. 120 calories and sates my desire for something sweet.

This plus being back in the gym now that winter is over is working well for me. Averaging about 0.25 to 0.5 pounds of weight loss a day. Forgot to mention I only drink unsweetened Earl Grey tea and water.
Dont crash diet dude thats just silly. Youll end up burning out fast and losing more muscle than fat.

Protein powder, eggs and greek yogurt are cheap high protein sources. That should be your #1 goal in weight gain and loss. Otherwise youll just look like a skinny fat version of your current self. I feel you though on the price of meats right now. $6 a pound for chicken breast is fucking absurd. It was $2.99 6 months ago.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Eat less if you want to lose weight. Exercise more if you want your muscles and joints to be happy with you.
I wonder if there are any good meta studies/research on what kind of societal/population/economic effect would come from people meeting these basic targets?
Only eat whatever your maintenance calories and walk/basic calisthenics for 10 minutes a day, maybe consider some floor level of sleep as well.
I can imagine it would have some pretty significant changes across a huge range of industries.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Dont crash diet dude thats just silly. Youll end up burning out fast and losing more muscle than fat.

Protein powder, eggs and greek yogurt are cheap high protein sources. That should be your #1 goal in weight gain and loss. Otherwise youll just look like a skinny fat version of your current self. I feel you though on the price of meats right now. $6 a pound for chicken breast is fucking absurd. It was $2.99 6 months ago.
Im not starving myself by any stretch. I literally dont feel hungry until its meal time (which is how it should be). Also the yogurt portion is solid, its not some tiny container. All the portions are proper, I really feel the calorie restriction is mainly cutting out the crap (like a donut, or ice cream, chips etc). In the winter it just gets like meh, ill snack when ever. I also love salads so I make nice entree sized salads with dinner.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I wonder if there are any good meta studies/research on what kind of societal/population/economic effect would come from people meeting these basic targets?
Only eat whatever your maintenance calories and walk/basic calisthenics for 10 minutes a day, maybe consider some floor level of sleep as well.
I can imagine it would have some pretty significant changes across a huge range of industries.
There's tons of research into obesity and sleep deprivation. Just imagine removing all those negative effects. Cumulatively, it might be the very best thing we could do as a society.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thats Racist GIF

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Very informative about many details of exercise and recovery. Something for everyone.