Weight Loss Thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have a hard time believing that eating very low carbs all the time is a good idea. Until you're reaching the weight you want, or for some specific cases maybe, but the human race is definitely made to occasionnaly eat carbs, at least from fruits.

I believe you gain more from diversifying with fruits than you lose with carbs, especialy if you're in keto regularly
You dont do zero carbs. You do low carbs. Atkins and Keto both stress the body needs carbs, protein and fat.

The idea of low carb is to use ketosis to get you near the goal weight. As you get close you begin adding higher carb counts and your weight loss slows. You find a balance point for your specific metabolism where you dont gain/lose weight. For me it was around 45 net carbs a day.

At that point fruits like blue berries and strawberries can be eaten in small amounts (counting the carbs of course).

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So just finished my workout (11 days straight). I had been feeling the workouts were a little too easy so I dialed up the resistance from 5 to 13 ( I thought the max was 10) and I think I found the sweet spot. Todays workout was much harder but still doable. I am really really enjoying this row machine, the minutes just fly by because I am so mentally engaged.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I have a hard time believing that eating very low carbs all the time is a good idea. Until you're reaching the weight you want, or for some specific cases maybe, but the human race is definitely made to occasionnaly eat carbs, at least from fruits.

I believe you gain more from diversifying with fruits than you lose with carbs, especialy if you're in keto regularly

Why do you have a hard time believing it? What essential things do carbs provide that can't be obtained from less carb-heavy resources?

I probably agree that zero to very low carb is probably not optimal long term, but it is certainly super-effective short term and, while sub-optimal, appears to be comparably healthy to all other "healthy" diets from everything we know so far.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I definitely agree that everyone needs to tailor their diet to their biology (though I think there are some fairly strong common themes assuming overall heath and not just weight loss) unfortunately there aren’t really any efficient or very accurate ways to do so. I’m looking forward to stuff like Levels - Metabolic Fitness Program and InsideTracker becoming more affordable so you can actually see/track/manage what’s going on.

I don’t count carbs but I’m making a concerted effort to reduce the amount of processed food I eat, especially added sugar.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

LiquidDeath

I definitely agree that everyone needs to tailor their diet to their biology (though I think there are some fairly strong common themes assuming overall heath and not just weight loss) unfortunately there aren’t really any efficient or very accurate ways to do so. I’m looking forward to stuff like Levels - Metabolic Fitness Program and InsideTracker becoming more affordable so you can actually see/track/manage what’s going on.

I don’t count carbs but I’m making a concerted effort to reduce the amount of processed food I eat, especially added sugar.

Lately, the most successful diet experiences I've had are when I spend the entire week eating nothing but meat, eggs, full-fat dairy, and fruit. No counting of any kind. Just eat as much as I want of all of those things, a few days including eating a full third of a watermelon after shoveling in over a pound of steak or ground beef at dinner. I feel completely satisfied and wake up the next morning feeling great. I haven't done it enough to track any weight gain after eating that way for many weeks in a row, but it certainly feels different then eating cookies or ice cream or pie for dessert.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

Re: Inside Tracker

I tried it. It was a waste of $600 bucks for me. They told me nothing that a few hours of googling and reading primary research cant tell me. I did do it without DNA because I never got it sequenced since I have privacy concerns regarding the only thing about me that isnt already in some data warehouse.

• 2Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Lately, the most successful diet experiences I've had are when I spend the entire week eating nothing but meat, eggs, full-fat dairy, and fruit. No counting of any kind. Just eat as much as I want of all of those things, a few days including eating a full third of a watermelon after shoveling in over a pound of steak or ground beef at dinner. I feel completely satisfied and wake up the next morning feeling great. I haven't done it enough to track any weight gain after eating that way for many weeks in a row, but it certainly feels different then eating cookies or ice cream or pie for dessert.
This is a moronic take. "Eat as much as I want" is a great success for gaining weight. It doesnt matter what the food types are. Of course you will feel better than eating cookies and ice creams, youre not blasting your body with starches and sugars. Everyone in this thread has a one eyed view that what works for them is the Holy Bible of weight loss. There is literally nothing wrong with eating carbs, nor is there anything wrong with eating fats. But you also think CICO is wrong. Look up stuff by Layne Norton and youll learn a couple things.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

This is a moronic take. "Eat as much as I want" is a great success for gaining weight. It doesnt matter what the food types are. Of course you will feel better than eating cookies and ice creams, youre not blasting your body with starches and sugars. Everyone in this thread has a one eyed view that what works for them is the Holy Bible of weight loss. There is literally nothing wrong with eating carbs, nor is there anything wrong with eating fats. But you also think CICO is wrong. Look up stuff by Layne Norton and youll learn a couple things.

You are a certified retard if you read my last three posts and decided "He thinks CICO is wrong".

I have stuffed myself with as much meat, eggs, and dairy as I can eat nearly every day for more than a year now without gaining a single pound all while averaging a single 40 minute weight training session every 3 days (but only for the last 3 months, it has made no difference in my weight because exercise isn't a weight loss tool). I don't give a shit what you think about weight loss because I've lived it and all you have to offer is an old, tired method that I have already conceded works for a certain type of person with agreeable genetics and personality.

• 1Picard

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
There is a misconception that some here have about calories in/out which is that its a limiting factor. You can have the greatest diet in the world and eat the healthiest way and you will still get fat if you consume more than you burn. There is no getting around it. Similarly, if you eat nothing but 1000 calories a day of ice cream, you might get sick from lack of nutrients but you will definitely lose weight. This concept is undisputable and a hard limit. With that out of the way though, a successful diet is almost entirely a psychological thing and is not about the biochemistry of food metabolism. Find a diet that you can do for life and do it. Anything else will fail.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
weight training...exercise isn't a weight loss tool
Incorrect. Weight training burns extra calories immediately and increases the calories burned over the next couple of days due to increase in metabolic activity.

• 2Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I wish "eat as much as you want" worked for me. My sister is like that. She eats a couple slices of pizza and stops because she genuinely doesn't want any more. Meanwhile I'm over here eating two entire pizzas because I want more pizza.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So just finished my workout (11 days straight). I had been feeling the workouts were a little too easy so I dialed up the resistance from 5 to 13 ( I thought the max was 10) and I think I found the sweet spot. Todays workout was much harder but still doable. I am really really enjoying this row machine, the minutes just fly by because I am so mentally engaged.

You went over 10!? Take it easy there spinal tap

LiquidDeath

I wish "eat as much as you want" worked for me. My sister is like that. She eats a couple slices of pizza and stops because she genuinely doesn't want any more. Meanwhile I'm over here eating two entire pizzas because I want more pizza.

The type and quality of food you eat matters.

I guarantee that if you did eat as much as you want with just meat and eggs you would see a massive difference.

• 1Picard

LiquidDeath

Incorrect. Weight training burns extra calories immediately and increases the calories burned over the next couple of days due to increase in metabolic activity.

I'm a giant fan of exercise. I love lifting and playing sports. You're right, there is a positive caloric effect for exercise but it is a miniscule factor compared to diet. The human body is a stupid efficient machine when it comes to burning calories for activity and that means that the vast majority of people don't have the time or ability to outwork a shitty diet. Hell, the hormone changes in most people as they age typically means you can't even outwork a moderately poor diet.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Re: Inside Tracker

I tried it. It was a waste of $600 bucks for me. They told me nothing that a few hours of googling and reading primary research cant tell me. I did do it without DNA because I never got it sequenced since I have privacy concerns regarding the only thing about me that isnt already in some data warehouse.
I haven’t tried anything though I did sign up for the beta/early access to Tally Health | Dr. David Sinclair

Their plan is to use cheek swabs to gather the samples so cheaper and easier. Apparently better tech for figuring stuff out as well *Shrug* should get results back in October

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm a giant fan of exercise. I love lifting and playing sports. You're right, there is a positive caloric effect for exercise but it is a miniscule factor compared to diet. The human body is a stupid efficient machine when it comes to burning calories for activity and that means that the vast majority of people don't have the time or ability to outwork a shitty diet. Hell, the hormone changes in most people as they age typically means you can't even outwork a moderately poor diet.
You contradict everything you say. "I eat as much as I want and dont gain any weight!" and then also say "I love lifting weights and playing sport!". Fucking genius here not understanding why he doesnt gain weight because he exercises. You burn as much as you eat which is why you arent gaining weight. Congratulations on finding your maintenance range.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The type and quality of food you eat matters.

I guarantee that if you did eat as much as you want with just meat and eggs you would see a massive difference.
No, it doesn't make a difference for me. Believe me, I've done Keto, I've done Whole30, Paleo...many other ways of eating. No matter what kinds of foods I'm eating, the most important thing for me is to pay close attention to portion control. My hunger cues are so fucked up that even things like eggs and steak I'll eat over my body's daily caloric needs in one sitting, and still be hungry later on that day for more.

You wrote this:
Weight loss is about relentlessly experimenting with your diet to figure out the best way to for you personally to control over-consumption based on your genetics and personality.

but then tell me what will work for me. I absolutely agree with you that everyone needs to find what works for them, because everyone's bodies are different.

LiquidDeath

You contradict everything you say. "I eat as much as I want and dont gain any weight!" and then also say "I love lifting weights and playing sport!". Fucking genius here not understanding why he doesnt gain weight because he exercises. You burn as much as you eat which is why you arent gaining weight. Congratulations on finding your maintenance range.

You are a giant illiterate moron.

The post immediately preceding the one you quoted specified that for the last several months I have averaged a 40 minute lifting session every 3 days. Before that, nothing because I was too busy. I fucking love playing basketball but life has stopped me from doing it for a decade and I just got back into lifting after finding space for a basic machine. The intervening 9 years and 9 months of my 30s were spent only managing my weight through diet, the last 5 of those years being keto/animal based and eating until I didn't want food any more. Again, I don't give a shit what you think about diet and exercise because I've already made clear that your stupid calorie counting diet that leaves you forever hungry is a perfectly valid way to go for the people who can tolerate it. I choose not to live like that.