Weight Loss Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If I had diabetes I am sure I would have more symptoms than drinking a ton of water to stay awake at night. It is just a thing I picked up in boot camp back when they forced us to drink 10-12 canteens per day, it works, so I've done it ever since. I can't think of any other common thread with these headaches that I was getting so I thought it might be that. idk, I've backed off (drinking maybe 4-5 liters per day) and I haven't had any headaches since last week.
Have you tried more efficient methods of staying awake? Drinking that much water per day just sounds annoying. Even a "mild" stimulant like coffee seems like it would be more effective.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So, I'm not sure if it's caused by my weight loss (that's the only thing I can think of that'd suppress my immune system) but I got fucking shingles. Had a swollen lymph node last week which I guess was a warning that this was coming. The last 6 days have been miserable.

I feel like maybe I should up my calories to maintenance until I'm over it just to help my immune system fight it, but I only had 2 more weeks of cutting left. Not sure shingles is worth it to have a low bodyfat (if that's the actual cause).

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Hmmmm, what are your symptoms Elurin? I'm having weird nerve issues on the side of my neck and clavicle. Feels tingly and sometimes itchy. Thought it might be a pinched nerve from how I was sleeping, but interested to hear your symptoms. I went from 250 to 215 in the past 3 months, wanna make sure I'm not going through the same thing.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought mine was a pinched nerve too. Pain started Thursday. On Sunday my wife noticed a small rash on my back (google shingles rash for examples), although it may have been there earlier. I basically have pain on my entire right lat which wraps around to my right ribs (more tender at my ribs). Also have pain in the medial head of my tricep. It's kind of a crushing pain on my lats, stabbing/burning and itchy at the rash, and tender on my tricep and ribs. It's honestly terrible, and I think my case is probably pretty mild. I took yesterday off work, and I'll probably leave for a half day here today shortly. I can't imagine I'll work a full day the rest of this week.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Have you tried more efficient methods of staying awake? Drinking that much water per day just sounds annoying. Even a "mild" stimulant like coffee seems like it would be more effective.
Coffee makes my bowels turn to water about an hour after drinking it. I drink a lot of tea, but I include that in the water that I drink. Those 5 hour energy things just make me real jittery and unable to focus.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So Keto is the same as Atkins?
Atkins has several phases that starts ketogenic and then has you slowly going up in carbs until you hit your goal weight and are at a maintenence level diet.

A lot of people use the term interchangeably, though.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
So Keto is the same as Atkins?
Atkins phase 1 and keto are pretty much the same thing. Paleo is a lot like keto as well, but the main difference is paleo rejects artificial sweetners in favor of "real food" and keto rejects anything with carbs other than fiber and says artificial sweetners are permitted.

All three diets work well. If keto isn't for you try paleo.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
So I've been doing really well in terms of my diet and I haven't binged in quite a while. However, one of the night classes I teach finished this evening and we had a little party with lots of treats. Unfortunately, hardly any of the food got eaten, so I'm taking home with me 2 bags of potato chips, a bag of doritos, a meat and cheese tray, 1.5 dozen donuts, and half a pound of potato salad.

frown.png

I'm really not strong-willed enough to resist eating all this delicious stuff, and I have a feeling I'll polish half of it off while watching Arrow.

McCheese

eat the meat and cheese tray and dump the rest
smile.png
Well, I'm already halfway through the donuts so I might as well continue and finish the rest off. I don't believe that food addiction is a real 'thing,' but damn if I don't have some kind of binge eating problem.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Well, I'm already halfway through the donuts so I might as well continue and finish the rest off. I don't believe that food addiction is a real 'thing,' but damn if I don't have some kind of binge eating problem.
Is cocaine addiction a real 'thing'? Because sugar acts on your brain like cocaine.

sugar-brain1.jpg

McCheese

Yeah but don't you have the 'drinking garlic butter' addiction?

Anyway, after going through the donuts and potato salad I became disgusted with myself. I'm bringing the rest into the office today to let the herd of fatties graze on it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Coffee makes my bowels turn to water about an hour after drinking it. I drink a lot of tea, but I include that in the water that I drink. Those 5 hour energy things just make me real jittery and unable to focus.
Pills? I can hook you up, my bro has a 1lb bottle of pure caffeine.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's amazing what carbs do to you. My morning weight is pretty steady, but I've been working on that challah bread (see cooking thread) and so my carbs are up probably about 50 grams higher than normal. My morning weight is steadily going up 1 pound every day for the last 3 days. I actually look more cut than I did without the extra carbs, which is strange to me (although I've read about bodybuilders doing a carb load just prior to a show, but I'll admit I don't understand why or the science behind it at all). I'm sure not working out for the last week isn't helping my weight either. I can't wait for these shingles to go away (outside of the incredible pain).

McCheese

It's amazing what carbs do to you. My morning weight is pretty steady, but I've been working on that challah bread (see cooking thread) and so my carbs are up probably about 50 grams higher than normal. My morning weight is steadily going up 1 pound every day for the last 3 days. I actually look more cut than I did without the extra carbs, which is strange to me (although I've read about bodybuilders doing a carb load just prior to a show, but I'll admit I don't understand why or the science behind it at all). I'm sure not working out for the last week isn't helping my weight either. I can't wait for these shingles to go away (outside of the incredible pain).
How much of a calorie deficit have you been eating at? You mentioned thinking that your calorie deficit lowered your immune system and indirectly caused the shingles, but I can't believe that a small-to-moderate calorie deficit would have that much of an effect on a person's immune system.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's probably 4-500 calories. My goal is 1 pound a week. I've probably hit the goal about half the weeks, and around 3/4 a pound the other half. 19 weeks in right now. It's hard to get a good grasp on what the actual deficit is due to the fact that for every few pounds I lose, my actual maintenance lowers a bit.

I started at 2200 calories for my cut, and I'm at about 1900 right now.

It's possible that the cut has nothing to do with shingles. I'm not especially stressed though, and outside of that, I don't know what else would cause my immune system to suppress for me to get shingles. Could just be one of those random things, or cancer.

I was looking at being done in about a week and a half. Not sure what I'll do now though. Kind of shitty timing.