Well, now what?

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have never felt that psychological push to "get my money's worth," but if that is really that common we now understand the rash of lard asses vs cable bills in the US at least. I pay for cable and just watch sports on it. I would love the option to just "sub" to individual channels over my Xbox or something. (Not Hulu...live tv)

Rhuobhe

N00b
If EQ was not my first MMO i would say the only thing worth playing now is Planetside 2 or SWTOR.

I also have very high expectations for the PS4 in terms of consoles becoming more comparable to PC gaming.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If EQ was not my first MMO i would say the only thing worth playing now is Planetside 2 or SWTOR.

I also have very high expectations for the PS4 in terms of consoles becoming more comparable to PC gaming.
i wouldn't hold your hopes up too high. the specs for the PS4 aren't that impressive.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
i wouldn't hold your hopes up too high. the specs for the PS4 aren't that impressive.
I'm pretty sure you'll see PS4 games rival top PCs in the graphics dept. Besides being optimized out the ass, they have direct access to the hardware. As I understand it, PC games waste a ton of power with poor code.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I'm waiting for Wildstar and playing LOTRO in the meantime, which still remains the only game I've ever been able to play super casually and still get some enjoyment out of. I've also got that lifetime sub they offered at release so that probably has something to do with it too.

FFXIV is on my radar as is EQ Classic. I honestly hope I'm invested in some other game (hopefully Wildstar) when EQC finally drops. I remember the few months I was playing on P99 and I really don't need to do that to myself again.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure you'll see PS4 games rival top PCs in the graphics dept. Besides being optimized out the ass, they have direct access to the hardware. As I understand it, PC games waste a ton of power with poor code.
We go through this every console cycle and it's rather hilarious now.

Consoles are playing catch up to PC at every launch cycle. They never have the upperhand, and will never have higher end graphics than on the PC. Resolution @ 1080p for PS4 and Xbox 720 will already be blown out of the water by higher resolutions on a GTX 670 at this point and even look better on an IPS display.

The only reason why they may come close is because all PC games are anymore is a cross platform port, and usually from another company at that.

Rhuobhe

N00b
I never understood how gpu power is so important to most people.

Titan is is goong to be world of starcraft. You are naive if you think otherwise

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm pretty sure you'll see PS4 games rival top PCs in the graphics dept.
Jack-Nicholson-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1658.gif

Merquise_sl

shitlord
The specs for the PS4 looked pretty bad. I'm sad that it isn't pushing closer to PC. Since so many ports are from consoles, they all look bad.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
We go through this every console cycle and it's rather hilarious now.

Consoles are playing catch up to PC at every launch cycle. They never have the upperhand, and will never have higher end graphics than on the PC. Resolution @ 1080p for PS4 and Xbox 720 will already be blown out of the water by higher resolutions on a GTX 670 at this point and even look better on an IPS display.

The only reason why they may come close is because all PC games are anymore is a cross platform port, and usually from another company at that.
I didn't say anything about any upper hand. I said rival. Look just as good. In the past that was a stupid argument because the consoles were so underpowered it wasn't funny. This time it's different. The PS4 is basically a midrange PC with no windows bloat, fast ram and direct access to the hardware.

But PC gaming will always be superior as long as the engine will allow it. This generation of games is going to be different IMO.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Unlike a lot of people, I don't feel like the "cherry pop" thing is as huge a factor for me. I just think that the genre has completely stagnated post-wow. I started with UO/muds and thought it was ok, but I wasn't really as into it as most people. EQ came along and I loved EQ, but gave it up around gates of discord. Then, WoW hit, and I feel like wow did a lot of stuff right and it was a great experience. I feel like I can enjoy new games as long as they improve upon their predecessors. But thats the problem I have today. I feel like most things are half-assed wow clones, and there hasn't been much progress since. I'm just waiting for the next big thing, and I think eventually someone will deliver, if devs realize they can't out-WoW, WoW, and start catering to niches instead of a 1-size fits all model.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Why exactly do we expect Titan to be any different from WoW? Serious question.
Because maybe the people who made WoW during the Vanilla to BC WoW era are still at Blizzard and are just working for Titan instead of WoW. And with that comes the faint glimmer of hope that the Titan team isn't afflicted yet by the dreadful "Casualification" curse that has befallen the B team responsible for the current state of things in WoW.

Well, Ghostcrawler himself said on Twitter that most of the BC devs still work at Blizzard:
https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...58272235671553
He just didn't say if they are working for WoW or for Titan or something entirely else. Most people would hope the latter.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Not sure if this off-topic in a thread such as this, but are we expecting Titan to amount to something deep and challenging that fosters long-term interest? You may assume it's only the WoW-team that has changed but for some unfounded reason I pin that on all of Blizzard. I would have bought anything from them without looking like ten years ago. But now? WoW certainly moved away from what I like, Starcraft 2 was fun and well done I admit but I found the campaign part fairly lame compared to the SC1, and Diablo 3 certainly jumped the shark. I might be cynical here but I'm expecting Titan to be focused on optimising profit instead of quality gameplay.

Imo I'm looking forward to EQ:N the most, but that's because it is the only release on the horizon where we dont know at all which direction they are taking. From the games we know details about, most look like crap except Wildstar which is promising. I'd say I'm also curious if Arenanet does something big with GW2, so far they seem content to let it just cruise along without real direction. I find the base game really good but they forget to make any long-term plans and are playing catch up it seems.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
WoW certainly moved away from what I like, Starcraft 2 was fun and well done I admit but I found the campaign part fairly lame compared to the SC1, and Diablo 3 certainly jumped the shark. I might be cynical here but I'm expecting Titan to be focused on optimising profit instead of quality gameplay.
It's like Pandora's box: At the bottom of it all there is only hope left. I found the singleplayer part SC2 also lacking, but with their focus on multiplayer, leagues and (mostly korean) e-sports it's somewhat understandable that they wanted to get the important part absolutely right and cut down the campaign to some glorified tutorial.

Diablo 3 on the other hand was the testbed for the real money auction house and was made by a different team after the original developers bailed from Blizzard. And from the looks of it they got specific instructions from management and didn't quite understand what made the game fun in the first place. Hopefully this sparks some insight into management that they best don't meddle with what Blizzard made special, as they may be well on their way to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs in the process.

Oh, and I wouldn't have much hope for EQ:N at this point. At the end of the day it's still SOE, and it's still SmokeJumper and Smedley, and from what could've been seen in the recent developments and the thought processes behind it for EQ/EQ2/Planetside2 it may very well be the epitome of F2P monetization.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Oh, and I wouldn't have much hope for EQ:N at this point. At the end of the day it's still SOE, and it's still SmokeJumper and Smedley, and from what could've been seen in the recent developments and the thought processes behind it for EQ/EQ2/Planetside2 it may very well be the epitome of F2P monetization.
Funny you'd say that. I had SoE written off for a long time but PS2 as the proclaimed new direction the company is taking convinced me otherwise, if EQ:N follows in those footsteps I'm definitely optimistic.

I am especially happy with the F2P implementation of PS2 where you can get *everything* with ingame currency (certs). I dont know how this would translate to a RPG game where you have actual loot, but until we get info later in the year at the earliest, I'm basing my expectations on EQ:N mostly on Planetside 2, which I am all around satisfied with.

Ryoz

<Donor>
Titan is the only thing I'm even remotely excited about. I tinker with wow now and then but get bored quickly. I don't know if my gaming days are coming to and end or if its a result of getting older or what.