Westworld

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The "mainland" infiltration narrative could also just be another Park :) To make them think they went to the real world, but it is all a park anyway.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think that was part of her programming to NOT take the train out of the park. I remember Bernard explaining to her how she was following along with her programming, and how she was supposed to get on the train, and I could swear he said "but" before she interrupted him and destroyed the tablet, as if he was gonna say "but, you get off the train prior to take off".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
two moments I really liked in the finale - the little speech by dolores to william, about how her "species" is going to inherit the earth long after man is dust. Very Ozymandias and cool. The spotlight on Teddy holding Dolores in his arms was trippy on first viewing too, although when you start thinking about it, how the fuck does Ford know all that shit is gonna go down that way and Dolores will get stabbed by William, etc.

Its too bad the phrase "These violent delights have violent ends" isn't used more ... artfully, the entire quote from Romeo and Juliet is really beautiful and while having it be some sort of backdoor awake code would be cliche and awful, Bernard just sort of mumbling it at the end is a bit weird. The first scene in episode 1 where Dolores' father says it is one of the greatest moments of the show, and I love every time one of the hosts starts reciting old poetry from humanity, but makes it sound all sinister and shit

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I think that was part of her programming to NOT take the train out of the park. I remember Bernard explaining to her how she was following along with her programming, and how she was supposed to get on the train, and I could swear he said "but" before she interrupted him and destroyed the tablet, as if he was gonna say "but, you get off the train prior to take off".

Directly after mentioning her get on the train I believe he says "and when you get to the mainland" with no mention of anything in between. I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the hint that Maeve is leaving the train of her own accord, but who knows.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So are we to assume Park 1, Sector 15, Zone 3 is going to be Shogun World or is Maeve going off to yet a different park possible setting up instead of different timelines but multiple parks next season.
dafuq is a little black girl doing in Samurai land? Park 1 is named "ONE" for a reason, it's the most popular park out of all of them, and that will be Slave World! where white ppl go back to their roots.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
dafuq is a little black girl doing in Samurai land? Park 1 is named "ONE" for a reason, it's the most popular park out of all of them, and that will be Slave World! where white ppl go back to their roots.
Privilege World

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
My only real issue with the finale was it was almost all expository dialog.

Should've been more show, less tell.

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing. I really, really hate it when the writers/directors treat the audience like they're idiots (I suppose some are, like H.A. Monkey and Warflagon). Yes, we all now know that William is the Man in Black, you don't have to jam it down our throats for ten minutes and grab our hands and walk us through all the previous moments that lead to that conclusion.

Also, and I said this before, but I watched the episode again and I fucking hate that William didn't kill Logan in the park and make it look like an accident. I'm just not buying that Bill strolls into father in law's office on Monday and says "your son's an incompetent weirdo, so I'm taking over the company."

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I thought the exact same thing. I really, really hate it when the writers/directors treat the audience like they're idiots (I suppose some are, like H.A. Monkey and Warflagon). Yes, we all now know that William is the Man in Black, you don't have to jam it down our throats for ten minutes and grab our hands and walk us through all the previous moments that lead to that conclusion.

Also, and I said this before, but I watched the episode again and I fucking hate that William didn't kill Logan in the park and make it look like an accident. I'm just not buying that Bill strolls into father in law's office on Monday and says "your son's an incompetent weirdo, so I'm taking over the company."

I honestly think few people would have figured out the dual-time loop, MiB = William theory without the internet. At least not as early as most did. But most of us, provided the evidence, could elucidate the reveal. The real shocker are those who, provided the evidence, are still too obtuse to believe in it, or to figure it out. And for those people, of whom I am sure are plentiful, you need the exposition at the end in order for them to truly grasp the MiB = William reveal. Honestly, if you didn't LITERALLY have William put on the hat only to turn into MiB, there would still be idiots out there arguing that they are two separate people.

As for William not making Logan's death look like an accident.....how do we know that isn't what happened? Last we saw, Logan was tied naked to a horse sent galloping to the end of the park. For all we know, he was found dead later on, there is no link to William, and his death was ruled some sort of accident. This would allow William's ascent in the company. Maybe his wife is the true CEO on paper, but with William's personality change to becoming a more assertive individual instead of a milquetoast, then it would be very easy to see how William manipulates the company from behind the scenes to eventually take over the reins from his wife once his father-in-law passes away.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I honestly think few people would have figured out the dual-time loop, MiB = William theory without the internet. At least not as early as most did. But most of us, provided the evidence, could elucidate the reveal. The real shocker are those who, provided the evidence, are still too obtuse to believe in it, or to figure it out. And for those people, of whom I am sure are plentiful, you need the exposition at the end in order for them to truly grasp the MiB = William reveal. Honestly, if you didn't LITERALLY have William put on the hat only to turn into MiB, there would still be idiots out there arguing that they are two separate people.

Partway through the episode, I was really looking forward to making a smart ass post about how, "Yeah, but I mean, William probably still isn't the MiB, right guys!?" But they really went so hamfisted with it, it wouldn't have been worthwhile.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if the real world is too perfect for people. No fun or excitement so you need these places like westworld to feel some excitement and emotion into their boring lives. When the MiB talks it's like he's bored with everything in his life both in and out of the park. Maybe that's why he needs hardcore server. He needs excitement and emotion.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah Park 1 in no way guarantees Shogun World at all. Park 1 could be the combination of the two or more timelines. Sector 15 could be Victorian World for all we know. Sector 12 is Shogun World and Sector 22 is Western World. Absolutely no way of knowing yet.

• 1Like

GhenghisKhan

Molten Core Raider
My only real issue with the finale was it was almost all expository dialog.

Should've been more show, less tell.

2 things I really didn't like about the finale:

a) The gun fights between the guards and the 2 hosts. Just felt really unrealistic, even in this fantasy setting.

b) The dialogue between MiB and Dolores. To me it seemed like they(writers) felt they had to dumb it down for some of the audience and I just thought it fell flat.

Great 10 episodes of TV all in all. Who knows where they're going to go for season 2. They laid out a pretty incredible foundation though with season 1. Sky is the limit imho, depending on their budget of course.

• 1Like

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
All the talk of the 'mainland' makes you wonder what/where the park really is. Some kind of island? Planet? Just seems like a weird terminology for something just tucked away in the American Southwest or something.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
All the talk of the 'mainland' makes you wonder what/where the park really is. Some kind of island? Planet? Just seems like a weird terminology for something just tucked away in the American Southwest or something.
I can say with almost complete certainty that it's not on Earth.

My guess would be a planet/moon completely devoted to this.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
You know what would have been better? if this was released like netflix, all 10 episodes in 1 day.

Why? then there wouldn't have been any of this mass speculation, "HAHA, I FIGURED IT OUT IN EPISODES 2!!!", and then just trying to see more.

Completely agree. My hope is Netflix starts enchroaching on enough on HBO's bottom line that they switch it up to releasing all at once. My fear is that Netflix will go the one a week route, since it makes much more sense when it comes to a subscription model.

Either way, the fact these two Goliath are competing this hard and with this much quality is a fucken testament to the way free market is suppose to work. Get redpilled Hollywood.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
a) The gun fights between the guards and the 2 hosts. Just felt really unrealistic, even in this fantasy setting.

Completely agree, very cringy as far as action type stuff goes. And I think they shot themselves in the foot with highlighting the hyper security of the park(s) in the first few episodes when it ultimately turned out to be completely untrue.

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
If manikins can wear clothes and they're not even on the level, then why can't these fatass robots sleeping on floor 82. rediculous

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Completely agree, very cringy as far as action type stuff goes. And I think they shot themselves in the foot with highlighting the hyper security of the park(s) in the first few episodes when it ultimately turned out to be completely untrue.

Yeah, I definitely thought they could've done a lot more with killing off the security in the park. Like, Maeve can pretty much do anything at that point, so how about if instead of just recoding two hosts, she reprograms 200 or so and they just overwhelm the guards? Would've made it much more believable. I really loved the show, but it was almost like they were getting bored by the end and just phoned it in. A couple of touchups to the script and it could've been one of the greatest TV shows ever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users