Westworld

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Its a fantastic episode filled with great acting and writing and has absolutely nothing to do with the first season or anything before a couple episodes ago. It’s typical Abrams bullshit. He’s great at suddenly dumping things like a temple full of critical plot development people on an island. Or another part of the plane.

Seriously. Season 1 was about perfection. If so much as a cunt hair on a whore was out of place, they knew. We spent an entire episode chasing some random rogue head crushing robot. If there had been as a mention of this tribe acting bizzare in season 1 I may have felt differently. But this is Miles Straum or Ana Lucia and her friends and I feel the majority of us are just hanging on because we want to know what happens to MiB.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

spronk

FPS noob
That's what makes me love all the characters BUT Delores basically, LOL. All of the other characters that found their inner voice without much intended help from Arnold or Ford are basically functioning adults attempting to relieve their horror show existence. The perception that Ford wanted to give ONLY Delores sentience and his mixed reaction to others becoming sentient is a bit regretful. Especially his treatment of Bernard, just seems shitty, but maybe that will be a later reveal.

Delores has basically been spoonfed her "release" and even then she can't see past her own reach in terms of effect. Her character, as it stands now, has the mentality of a child. There was a glimmer of regret when Teddy just fucking brains the one dude on the train station platform, that gave me pause in the sense that MAYBE her character is having emotions beyond rage. Hopefully they expand on her emotional range, as a character, because the idea of an insane robot isn't all that new.

There are theories that the character Wyatt is actually in control of Dolores and it is sort of a Rogue AI that developed sentience inside the cradle or something and well I dunno or don't really care but I imagine at the finale we'll see some weird things going on there, it makes more sense after this last episode with Akechate calling Dolores "Deathbringer", like that fits the Wyatt persona a lot that Teddy and others kept referencing in season 1 but we haven't really seen any talk of in season 2.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It seems like akechate is both one of the oldest of the awakened hosts and in a lot of ways one of the most aware. It seems like only updating hosts when they "die" is a flawed model if he wound up with almost a decade of uninterupted up time unpatched. The fact he was spreading the maze symbol around as much as he could to awaken as many hosts as he could was interesting.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
It seems like akechate is both one of the oldest of the awakened hosts and in a lot of ways one of the most aware. It seems like only updating hosts when they "die" is a flawed model if he wound up with almost a decade of uninterupted up time unpatched. The fact he was spreading the maze symbol around as much as he could to awaken as many hosts as he could was interesting.

Well, when the owner of the park is gunning down robo-kids every other week, the odds of most hosts dying is high enough to base your update schedule on.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Its a fantastic episode filled with great acting and writing and has absolutely nothing to do with the first season or anything before a couple episodes ago. It’s typical Abrams bullshit. He’s great at suddenly dumping things like a temple full of critical plot development people on an island. Or another part of the plane.

Seriously. Season 1 was about perfection. If so much as a cunt hair on a whore was out of place, they knew. We spent an entire episode chasing some random rogue head crushing robot. If there had been as a mention of this tribe acting bizzare in season 1 I may have felt differently. But this is Miles Straum or Ana Lucia and her friends and I feel the majority of us are just hanging on because we want to know what happens to MiB.

I was wondering the same thing; but when they retrieve his woman and don't mention another rogue host combined with the explanation when he gets himself killed it seems like his Alpha code did not have the tracking code in it the same way more updated hosts do.

I also want to echo how great this episode was in total and how funny it is that I care more about the Ghost Nation now that we know they are sentient with no guidance than I do about Delores and her band of whiners. The scene of the brave that asks for the symbol to be hidden and the elder that knows her son is different were both amazing.

• 2Like

Caliane

yeah. how the hell has this rogue robot been breaking his routine, and living in the wild for decades? dont they have locators on all of them?

it does also highlight a point, that every one of these robots would have first aid assistance protocols, when he finds whats his face. If not outright breaking character to, "do you need assistance?", its the first thing you would program into these bots. Not relying on some tech 100miles away, in case some rich politician chokes on a hotdog, or has a heart attack.
It really should be a major plot point, the robots having to deal with this assist injuried human protocal, vs killing the.

Fly motiff did return for Ake.

• 3Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Great episode and happy to see others enjoyed it. My only issue was at some point I thought of Wayne's World weird naked indian and it kind of put a damper on the seriousness of the situation.

• 3Worf

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I thought the episode sucked. An entire episode about an unknown character at the end of the season? Why the fuck? The whole thing was trash.

• 3Seriously?
  • 2WTF
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 13 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
It's funny in that Nolan did a better job with "love" than Nolan did. Granted the medium's are completely different but still....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was wondering the same thing; but when they retrieve his woman and don't mention another rogue host combined with the explanation when he gets himself killed it seems like his Alpha code did not have the tracking code in it the same way more updated hosts do.

I also want to echo how great this episode was in total and how funny it is that I care more about the Ghost Nation now that we know they are sentient with no guidance than I do about Delores and her band of whiners. The scene of the brave that asks for the symbol to be hidden and the elder that knows her son is different were both amazing.

Or his tracking code was not active because ford did not want it active. Ford seemed to be aware of him and that he was awake.

• 3Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Instead we've wandered around in bullshit land for most of this season and when we finally get an extremely compelling arc and character its wrapped up in 1 episode and is short changed time wise

I didn't like the episode that much, and I think this is why. Compelling character, but dropped on us out of nowhere, with no buildup to his solo episode to help the audience connect with him. Even just 5-10 minutes of screen time for Ake to prepare us for this episode and it would have been 10 times as enjoyable on first viewing. I'm sure I'll like it a lot more when I rewatch.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I didn't like the episode that much, and I think this is why. Compelling character, but dropped on us out of nowhere, with no buildup to his solo episode to help the audience connect with him. Even just 5-10 minutes of screen time for Ake to prepare us for this episode and it would have been 10 times as enjoyable on first viewing. I'm sure I'll like it a lot more when I rewatch.

I get what you mean about another main PoV character, but I've been wondering about the Ghost Nation since their first appearance.

• 2Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of the most interesting and freaky things was realizing the indians were putting the maze under their own scalps. I had sort of figure ford or abernathy had done it to seed the park but to have the indian hosts literally volunteer to be scalped so it could be inscribed with the symbol is fucking hard core.

• 3Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sidelining Dolores again looks likely next week. Season might end on a higher note than expected.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
nah you know episode 10 is going to be all about Delores. Hopefully Bernard kills her.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Delores is definitely the deathbringer.... of this show. No arguing that.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Bunch of mysogonystic fucks up in here. How dare you have taste!?!

• 2Worf
  • 1Salty

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider

This.

While an enjoyable episode, at this point it feels like a wasted hour.

I want more main story or side quests showing already-developed characters. Not a random character who isn't necessary being added to the main quest.

Good in a vacuum, but there wasn't a point to this in the grand scheme of things. Feels like we could've skipped this entire episode and missed nothing. We've seen MiB scalping Ghost Nation warriors. Now we know why. Awesome, what an important plot hole I'll never worry about again.

TLDR Ford has been at this for awhile. Yes, we already knew that. Cool. Thanks.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>

I don't think Abrams is as involved as this post suggests you think

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He's listed on IMDB as an executive producer for 17 of the episodes. And this entire season has JJ Abrams written all over it for anyone paying attention to the difference in story and intrigue compared to season 1.

It's what he has done with everything he's ever worked on. Start telling a story that is mysterious and fascinating and then just abandon the main plot points set forth in earlier episodes in favor of... nonsensical garbage.

• 3Like