Westworld

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Also everyone is super rich, so you could say half of the top 1%'s went to WestWorld.

And yea, that means if we judged Humanity based on half of our current 1%'s...
IdleSoggyCormorant-size_restricted.gif

Typical game focusing the Hardcore, rather than the Casuals ;)

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't care how "uneducated" you claim the people working with the robits are. Spend 8 hours a day for several years and you will become pretty good at anything and gain a fundamental understanding. The entire plot has gaping holes. I realize it's a TV show but you want things to at least sound plausible or you're really not earning your pay check.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't care how "uneducated" you claim the people working with the robits are. Spend 8 hours a day for several years and you will become pretty good at anything and gain a fundamental understanding. The entire plot has gaping holes. I realize it's a TV show but you want things to at least sound plausible or you're really not earning your pay check.
that was shown when Felix made robobird

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Screamfeeder Screamfeeder is this shit changing? Are shows getting longer orders or being required to have a multi season story arc to prove that they can capitalize off of initial success?

Quick answer is my usual one.

It depends.

Some shows have an EP/Creator that has the whole arc more or less thought out with details for the characters, and other shows write a pilot and maybe an episode or two and then are off to the races and make it up as they go along. You need to have some clout with studios to get away with that though unless you have some brave financiers (which does happen).

What I am personally seeing in my development work are more fully fleshed out ideas. I got a pitch packet a month or so ago with three episode scripts, hundreds of concept photos and illistrations and character bios that was over 200 pages long. It wasn't a right fit for who I work with, but I passed that along to another group because it was very well put together and with some tweaks would make a great show.

5-7 Seasons is what I personally think is the magic number for a good dramatic show and when doing development work, we will work with the writers and EP's we have slotted for a project to come up with at least a general ebb and flow to the end.

Sometimes shit just changes in production though. A specific director for episode 310 will make some changes that shift your story but are too good to leave out. You have characters that audiences love that you didn't even think deserved it and you others they hate that you have a full jacket on. Worst of all, you run afoul of the budget and now things you wanted to do have to be condensed or gutted because your whole "lets actually set this building on fire" idea 4 episodes ago ended up costing 2 times as much as it should have.

Also if anyone wants to reply to this, just PM me that you replied or tag me. I am avoiding this thread as much as possible for spoiler reasons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, they are going for "Future World's" story line most likely, where they replace super rich/politically powerful people. They have the memories/personalities of tons of humans, so yeah.

This ALWAYS becomes the issue with Robots vs Human shows. Rather than keep it to small scale introspection on humanity and how specific humans reflect it against our own creations (Which has some fun God/Man themes), they always go full on "genocidal war of rebellion". At which point I lose all empathy for the robots and want the humans to crush them. Was really hoping Westworld would stick to the more "lost in an MMO with humans being semi-God-like entities that the AI are learning about".

Because that, I think, is what was so compelling about Season 1 (Every seen with Maeve staying awake and seeing humans as these other worldly creatures was fucking amazing). It is actually interesting looking at humanity from an outside perspective. It's interesting to see how a species we created would see us if we were their 'gods', and all the faults and strengths they would see in us. How they'd be awed and horrified by us. That shit is intriguing. And its what I love about most "lost in MMO" or "man interacts with sentient robot" shows. Once it goes into full on conflict, I'm always left thinking "okay, why would I root for the robots here? Oh did like a few thousand people abuse you, so now its okay to eradicate BILLIONS? Yeah, fuck off."

Boooo.
I'm honestly really sad they didn't go with the "the whole rebellion is part of the script" thing we thought it might be. Essentially either everyone was a host except MiB, or even more broad, that the whole thing was a show for someone even higher up the food chain as part of a "shit hits the fan in simulated environment" scenario.

I guess they could still do that, but I don't know who the audience would be for that one. Essentially no one is "alive" that would've witnessed any of it, so it wouldn't be applicable to them, and then the entire plot would seem like a massive retcon.

Brad2770

Is this season worth watching? I haven’t watched it, really liked the first season, but without reading too many spoilers, I see a lot disappointed with it so far.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Is this season worth watching? I haven’t watched it, really liked the first season, but without reading too many spoilers, I see a lot disappointed with it so far.
If you thought that Maeve's storyline from season 1 was extremely compelling or if you find that mocking bad writing is amusing then yes. Otherwise no.

Sterling

El Presidente
The drop off in quality between the 2 seasons is pretty dramatic. It's not as bad as say something like Inhumans was but it's a lot worse than season 1.

• 1Like

Brad2770

I was waiting to binge it one weekend once the season was complete, but I think I’ll give it a pass then.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
There were a handful of good episodes, and stuff like the score and cinematography were pretty amazing. The Akecheta episode, for instance, was just phenomenal.

But the story was just a fucking incoherent mess. It's probably worth watching so you can decide that you want to write off the 3rd season.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's like, they only had enough writing ability and plot for one season...

Then they seemingly hired as many writers as they could to create as many disjointed stories as possible and try to collage a second season together.

Flow is horrible, plot is horrible, there will be a sprinkle of a good episode here and there (indian one), or some performances, be grand.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah I wasn't suggesting that it's unwatchable garbage, but the bar set by season 1 was really high and season 2 clearly doesn't maintain that quality level. It still has some good episodes and has plenty of good moments and the production value is high. The writing is mind numbingly bad at times though which really sucks because this could have been great.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Second season of True Detective was better than Westworld's.

• 4Like
  • 2EyeRoll
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 8 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Every line uttered by Delores sounds like retard vomit

and i liked Delores, i think we all did, then they wrote her the worst lines and character motivation.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Every line uttered by Delores sounds like retard vomit

and i liked Delores, i think we all did, then they wrote her the worst lines and character motivation.

Valkyrie did her best acting when she was Delores. I couldn’t tell if she had the benefit of some post production but it was really good.

spronk

FPS noob

just watch episode 8 and you'll keep your good memories of westworld intact

• 1Like

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I was waiting to binge it one weekend once the season was complete, but I think I’ll give it a pass then.

Looks like I'll be doing the same, kinda shitty after how great season 1 was. I've got a huge backlog of shows anyway.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There was some redemption through good acting in certain episodes of both shows. Both shows had terrible endings to their second seasons. At least TD was self contained and the third season will have nothing to do with it. Westworld S3 is likely going to keep going down the hole the creators have dug for themselves.

• 3Like