Westworld

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The maintenance tech scenes were very cringe worthy. They really lowered the quality of the show with those stupid guys.

100% this. We're arguing with a robot that we've personally torn up and stitched back together hundreds of times and in this argument the robot whore has the upper hand.

??????

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
There is so much hate out there. The show is good. Stop searching for reasons not to like it. Be entertained with what you get and you won't be sorry. I like the show 100% still. Last night was just as good as the 1st episode.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
"I need this job"

Really? So bad that you will risk human lives? Those guys complain they are basically entry level grunts making shit money....yet its so great they will violate the prime directive.

PLOT TWIST: Outside of WW is a Hunger games world. Only the rich go to WW and working there is a dream to escape their starvation.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Last night was just as good as the 1st episode.
I can't agree with the above quote at all. I love the show, but that doesn't mean it's above criticism.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
"I need this job"

Really? So bad that you will risk human lives? Those guys complain they are basically entry level grunts making shit money....yet its so great they will violate the prime directive.

PLOT TWIST: Outside of WW is a Hunger games world. Only the rich go to WW and working there is a dream to escape their starvation.
Exactly, Dumb and Dumber will put the entire park in jeopardy because they need their job. Seems like a good plan!

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Exactly, Dumb and Dumber will put the entire park in jeopardy because they need their job. Seems like a good plan!

It only makes sense if they are robots and this is setting up ford's grand storyline.

• 1Like

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
I personally think that perhaps Arnold wasn't human to begin with and was an AI that was developed to help create the other AI. Considering that this is already happening today it's plausible but far fetched in terms of the show. Bernard could be the "beta" version that can be better controlled.

This is the way I'm leaning as well. Arnold was Ford's first robot he created all by himself. It was sort of his companion and best friend, and in being so it learned how much Ford missed his past family life, so created the family replica for him. They created all the robots together. But at some point Arnold becomes disillusioned with his role in the world and that of all the robots he has created. Cannot bear that he has created all these other beings like himself which have to endure these endless horrors. Being the same as them, he knows they are not just robots. He tries to convince Ford, but Ford refuses to see the humanity in them.

-It was emphasized by Jimmy's friend that nobody had any record of Arnold's life prior to the park.
-We never hear Arnold's last name. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear Arnold was just an acronym for something... Autonomous Robotic Neuromorphic...
-Would be pretty easy for a robot to disappear for 30 years, or "kill himself" while really uploading himself to another host he has created.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warflagon

Peasant
Strange, real humans with far more to loose make poor, life altering decisions everyday;......The accountant that shoplifts, the nurse that commits credit fraud, a doctor that pads his stats, the banker that goes to jail.......

...the celebrity that gets aids from hookers, the rock star that dies early, the trucker that gets a dui....

• 1Like

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Last night was just as good as the 1st episode.

The first episode was immersive and intense, last nights was the complete opposite. I don't want to know what kind of mental gymnastics are required to view them as being equal in quality.

Anyway I agree that the only way to make sense of the techs is if they are hosts themselves without any decent exposition that would explain why they are cool with being threatened by and then aiding their future robot overlords.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Warflagon

Peasant
This is the way I'm leaning as well. Arnold was Ford's first robot he created all by himself. It was sort of his companion and best friend, and in being so it learned how much Ford missed his past family life, so created the family replica for him. They created all the robots together. But at some point Arnold becomes disillusioned with his role in the world and that of all the robots he has created. Cannot bear that he has created all these other beings like himself which have to endure these endless horrors. Being the same as them, he knows they are not just robots. He tries to convince Ford, but Ford refuses to see the humanity in them.

-It was emphasized by Jimmy's friend that nobody had any record of Arnold's life prior to the park.
-We never hear Arnold's last name. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear Arnold was just an acronym for something... Autonomous Robotic Neuromorphic...
-Would be pretty easy for a robot to disappear for 30 years, or "kill himself" while really uploading himself to another host he has created.

I'll buy that.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
No show should be above criticism - especially one you enjoy. This is a great show but last night was not a strong episode. It actually didn't really even "feel" like the same show so no surprise this was one of the episodes filmed after the hiatus. I just hope they can wrap up the story line in a plausible, moderately fulfilling way.

The last thing we need is a train of show white knights in here defending everything silly the show does or doesn't do. The stuff with the shit tier techs was cringe worthy and the writing was unbelievable and poor as others have pointed out. The scene with the family was interesting and I actually didn't mind the rail gun massacre deal as it stood to show how Teddy's programming had changed and how he "remembers" the start of he and Wyatt's story line. Best part of the episode was Fake Plastic Trees on piano!

• 2Like

khalid

Unelected Mod
The last thing we need is a train of show white knights in here defending everything silly the show does or doesn't do.

I would say the last thing we need is a train of people in here attacking every episode of the show and calling everyone who liked an episode a white knight.

• 3Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The whole thing goes back to a contrived plotline as Maeve is being used for evulz corporate takeover purposes by Theresa and Mandarin Businessman.

While they likely made it so Maeve can break the Prime Directive and harm people. This was mentioned by Bernard's coworker girl as she found what was uploaded in the theater. All the changes that had been made to certain hosts. Then the techs also increased her stats to superhuman at the same time. Something that they could never possibly foresee happening. This is why its dumb, the entire mechanism to cause this particular situation makes no sense. Because of cringey techs.

• 1Like

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I really didn't mind Maeve and the techies - I thought it was showing Maeve's strength at understanding and manipulating people. And they said someone was fucking with her attributes, which I assume explains how she is reliably able to pull her waking up trick. They only showed her with her Asian buddy but I don't think its a big assumption to think that she has done it over and over, and just goes back to sleep if she doesn't have the right dude.

Walking her around in the complex though, you would have to imagine someone would recognize and be like, uh, wtf is that dude from the basement doing walking around with a host up here?

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I would say the last thing we need is a train of people in here attacking every episode of the show and calling everyone who liked an episode a white knight.

That's totally what's been going on so far, page after page of attacking a show everyone likes enough to post about on a video game message board. Derp.

Last thing we need is this to turn into the GOT thread with Astro running around telling everyone who doesn't like an episode, or plot contrivance to not watch it. On a message board. Seems fun!!11

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
The whole thing goes back to a contrived plotline as Maeve is being used for evulz corporate takeover purposes by Theresa and Mandarin Businessman.

While they likely made it so Maeve can break the Prime Directive and harm people. This was mentioned by Bernard's coworker girl as she found what was uploaded in the theater. All the changes that had been made to certain hosts. Then the techs also increased her stats to superhuman at the same time. Something that they could never possibly foresee happening. This is why its dumb, the entire mechanism to cause this particular situation makes no sense. Because of cringey techs.

The part I really didn't get was the scalpel being used as some sort of terrifying weapon to placate the fat one. Maybe all the robots are terminators deep down with super human strength etc, (which could be reasonable, excepting that they've shown nothing of that so far with MiB/Maeve/Dolores etc) but it just seemed odd. As others have said, just turn her off and program her down - I'm interested to see how they dig themselves out of that arc as writers, because right now nothing seems plausible.

• 1Like

khalid

Unelected Mod
That's totally what's been going on so far, page after page of attacking a show everyone likes enough to post about on a video game message board. Derp.

You are the one that dropped in and used the term white knight because someone dared to say they liked the episode. Don't be a dipshit.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Bernard is probably Arnold in some capacity. The scenes with him and Delores in the 'basement' type place is probably the basement of that cottage Arnold made with Ford's family. Those scenes are probably from 34 years ago when Arnold first tried to give the hosts AI sentience via the maze.

• 2Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
"I need this job"

I'm honestly thinking the world is escape from LA levels of bad out there and landing a job, ANY job is infinitely better than trying to survive out in the wild. I can't remember exacts, but there have been a couple of other scenes that eluded to the fact that the economy is complete shit in the outside world and the people are thanking the baby Jesus that they are not out there.

• 1Like