Westworld

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe all the robots are terminators deep down with super human strength etc, (which could be reasonable, excepting that they've shown nothing of that so far with MiB/Maeve/Dolores etc).

Teddy.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Warflagon

Peasant
I'm honestly thinking the world is escape from LA levels of bad out there and landing a job, ANY job is infinitely better than trying to survive out in the wild. I can't remember exacts, but there have been a couple of other scenes that eluded to the fact that the economy is complete shit in the outside world and the people are thanking the baby Jesus that they are not out there.

That's strange, the only reference to the outside world I can remember is the MIB describing it as utopia, free of disease, hunger or want.....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love HBO, I love Westerns, I like the Nolan's, and I think Michael Crichton generally creates good stories. But... I am not sure this show is any good.

They are taking a far more complicated than necessary story angle for the first season. Every time they pop out of Westworld into the control center, the show grinds to a halt. Every time they talk to a host and click them into diagnostic mode, the show grinds to a halt. Every time that British cunt writer is on the screen, the show grinds to a fucking halt. There are just a lot more straight up bad characters at this point than interesting ones.

The more they reveal the parts and pieces that make up their grand world, the less grand it seems.

• 1Like

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's strange, the only reference to the outside world I can remember is the MIB describing it as utopia, free of disease, hunger or want.....
"You know why you exist Teddy? The world out there, the one you'll never see, was one of plenty. A fat, soft teat people cling to their entire life. Every need taken care of except one; purpose, meaning."

• 1Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

They were just passing references. In fact I think one of them was one of our two techs we saw so much of this episode talking about it when they were cutting on Maeve's stomach in the second or third episode. I remember inferring it when the loud mouthed programmer girl threatened the clean up guy who was filmed banging robots. And then I remember one other scene in passing in the first couple of episodes as well. I think MiB's reference to it is for the rich. I'm sure the world is a straight up Utopia for those with means that is free of disease, even more so than now, and of course just like now there is no hunger or want for them. While I'm speculating, I never go too deep with them, and just wait for the show/book/movie to out and explain something before I hold it as true cannon.

• 1Like

Warflagon

Peasant
"You know why you exist Teddy? The world out there, the one you'll never see, was one of plenty. A fat, soft teat people cling to their entire life. Every need taken care of except one; purpose, meaning."

That's the one.

I also have no wants. I suck at the teat of the interwebs and spend my day working or gaming. I have no purpose but pleasure.

I assure you, it's quite nice :)

....but did he say the world "WAS" one of plenty? has the world changed in 10-30 years......

Just re-watched it, pretty sure the world out there "IS" one of plenty.....Thinking the commoners are content and happy free of charge , but to get bonus citizenship and perks, you have to have a job to pay for it. ....

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The part I really didn't get was the scalpel being used as some sort of terrifying weapon to placate the fat one. Maybe all the robots are terminators deep down with super human strength etc, (which could be reasonable, excepting that they've shown nothing of that so far with MiB/Maeve/Dolores etc) but it just seemed odd. As others have said, just turn her off and program her down - I'm interested to see how they dig themselves out of that arc as writers, because right now nothing seems plausible.
crazy wood cutter grabbed a big ass rock and Hulk Smashed his own head in, seems pretty strong.

Also MiB really =/= Arnold, since he saw mini-Ford a few eps back where he cut and drained Lawrences' blood and transfused to Teddy. (mini-Ford ran up to him and he told him to fetch water, and said too small, probably meaning not enough blood)

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm honestly thinking the world is escape from LA levels of bad out there and landing a job, ANY job is infinitely better than trying to survive out in the wild. I can't remember exacts, but there have been a couple of other scenes that eluded to the fact that the economy is complete shit in the outside world and the people are thanking the baby Jesus that they are not out there.

Good point, forgot that scene. Wonder if the other employees have the power to "activate that" or if it really is just Ford. Either way, it seems they don't have that innate through programming so the girl with the scalpel wouldn't exactly be like facing down T1000.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
:)

....but did he say the world "WAS" one of plenty? has the world changed in 10-30 years......

Just re-watched it, pretty sure the world out there "IS" one of plenty.....Thinking the commoners are content and happy free of charge , but to get bonus citizenship and perks, you have to have a job to pay for it. ....

They referenced an "orbital launch facility" with Maeve. This isn't taking place on earth

• 1Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Didn't watch till today, but I thought it was cool.

The wash down crew will have their hands full, thanks a lot, Teddy.

So Maeve story is getting pretty bigly, that all started solely on Delores' secret whisper? Why did she whisper dat to only her? Coincidental?

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm sure the world is a straight up Utopia for those with means that is free of disease, even more so than now, and of course just like now there is no hunger or want for them.

So this is in the same world as Elysium? I hope Matt Damon makes an appearance in the season finale.

• 1Like

Ganthorn

N00b
Didn't watch till today, but I thought it was cool.

The wash down crew will have their hands full, thanks a lot, Teddy.

So Maeve story is getting pretty bigly, that all started solely on Delores' secret whisper? Why did she whisper dat to only her? Coincidental?

I think because she is one of the few original ones still with the old communication method they mentioned for reprogramming

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm a huge fan of the show, and even I don't think it's above criticism. The last episode was weak, plain and simple. Sure, there were a few good scenes (the one with Ford's host family, Maeve walking with Asian guy, seeing how her world is made, Flood and MIB was okay), but those scenes were overshadowed by some really boring scenes (drunk guy at the pool, Bernard in the basement, etc...) and horrible narrative exposition. As great as the writing has been for the first five episodes, this episode was really cringe worthy.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I dont get fanatical enough about details to know if this is possible / accurate . . . but wanted to copy / paste out of the reddit thread and run it past you guys. Anyway, some Arnold / Bernard timeline crazy shit.

Reddit said:
Swinetrek 59 points 21 hours ago*

Four timelines theory. William, MIB, Bernard, and Arnold.

My theory is that Bernard is Arnold. Or rather a host copy of Arnold. The scenes between Bernard and Delores, when she is dressed and in that "basement," are not Bernard. Its actually Arnold in those scenes and they occur before he was killed. Before the much fancier complex now above it was built. Dolores is the one who killed him. Arnold is the one talking to the woman on the screen about his son. Not Bernard.

What I haven't decided is whether Bernard has a multiple personality thing going and is trying to destroy Westworld from the inside. Or if Arnold's "mind" is living in another host.

And kudos for the Yul Brynner Gunslinger glimpse we got as Bernard was looking for an old terminal to use.

BonesAtWork 20 points 14 hours ago

Before the much fancier complex now above it was built.

The basement-like setting in which those sessions between Dolores and Arnold took place actually seems identical to the basement where Ford and Little Ford were near the end of Episode 6, less some additional equipment strewn about. The windows, steel and glass enclosure, keypad, wall-mounted work light, electrical box, etc. all appear identical. This supports your theory (which I am also leaning toward), because if they are the same setting, and that setting is the basement of the Robo-Ford family home, then Bernard would not have been there, as he only discovered it in Episode 6.
What do you guys think? Crazy or possible?

• 1Like

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Great episode, lots of wheels moving forward. The whole episode provided many answers and new questions, the novelty is wearing off it seems on some of you...but the show is still good thus far. MiB being out MiBed was great and really looking forward to more.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I love HBO, I love Westerns, I like the Nolan's, and I think Michael Crichton generally creates good stories. But... I am not sure this show is any good.

They are taking a far more complicated than necessary story angle for the first season. Every time they pop out of Westworld into the control center, the show grinds to a halt. Every time they talk to a host and click them into diagnostic mode, the show grinds to a halt. Every time that British cunt writer is on the screen, the show grinds to a fucking halt. There are just a lot more straight up bad characters at this point than interesting ones.

The more they reveal the parts and pieces that make up their grand world, the less grand it seems.
Like I said, had this been a one off, 10 part mini-series, I think it'd have been amazing. 5 seasons though? This is LOST part 2.

• 1Like