Westworld

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This last episode ranks up there with something that a show on the SyFy Channel would churn out. Pretty terrible writing. I could buy the Asian guy going along with her but the other guy? Her threats meant nothing especially when he has the tablet in his hands later on. He could have just turned her off or made her as dumb as a box of rocks at the very least. I like this show but the writing on this show will ensure it'll never make it to 5 seasons.

I keep wondering if they are going to pull a BSG at end of the season in that somebody we thought was a human is actually a robot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This last episode ranks up there with something that a show on the SyFy Channel would churn out. Pretty terrible writing. I could buy the Asian guy going along with her but the other guy? Her threats meant nothing especially when he has the tablet in his hands later on. He could have just turned her off or made her as dumb as a box of rocks at the very least. I like this show but the writing on this show will ensure it'll never make it to 5 seasons.

I keep wondering if they are going to pull a BSG at end of the season in that somebody we thought was a human is actually a robot.
Yea i kept thinking, what was the problem, and the problem all along was the fat white guy.

Just picture every scene w/o the fat white guy, and Maeve + Asian guy storyline gets stronger.

Asian guy coulda spent episodes just teaching Maeve about shit, then saying "Ok, time to patch you up, hope you die less bloody next time", while SECRETLY raising her intelligence, as in Maeve doesn't know or want the NEO OP stats, but Asian guy is "curious" or "sympathetic" or just anything.

Instead we get two bumbling buffoons who have basically caused I,Robot and created a robot overlord.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Agreed, weakest episode of the season. A lot of people already mentioned the nonsense of asian guy/fat guy kowtowing to Maeve, when there is no reason for them to whatsoever as she has no true leverage. Also, no one seems to mind that Felix is giving Maeve a tour of the facility? No one bothers to look up and see Maeve stick out like a sore thumb in her dolly outfit? Each floor seems to be laid out for a different division.....wouldn't you recognize most of your fellow co-workers? Seems to me like Felix and Maeve would have been obviously out of place.

The other scene that really bugged me was Elsie going to find the transponder signal, ON HER OWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. Seriously, couldn't wait until daylight? Just had to go exploring in the creepy old abandoned building with nothing but your flashlight and your sense of adventure? Just telegraphed from a mile away that something awful was going to happen to her.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Ok, setting your total INT to 20. *actually set it to 1*

Problem solved.
She starts talking like Forest Gump and trying to hump their legs.

10/10 television. Soy for WW writer

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
giphy.gif

• 1Like

Araxen

Agreed, weakest episode of the season. A lot of people already mentioned the nonsense of asian guy/fat guy kowtowing to Maeve, when there is no reason for them to whatsoever as she has no true leverage. Also, no one seems to mind that Felix is giving Maeve a tour of the facility? No one bothers to look up and see Maeve stick out like a sore thumb in her dolly outfit? Each floor seems to be laid out for a different division.....wouldn't you recognize most of your fellow co-workers? Seems to me like Felix and Maeve would have been obviously out of place.

The other scene that really bugged me was Elsie going to find the transponder signal, ON HER OWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. Seriously, couldn't wait until daylight? Just had to go exploring in the creepy old abandoned building with nothing but your flashlight and your sense of adventure? Just telegraphed from a mile away that something awful was going to happen to her.

Yeah, I had problems with both of those things. It's very poor 3rd rate writing. It reminds me of the shitty writing on True Blood.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Eh, the retarded Asian walking Maeve around didn't seem that weird, tons of other hosts looked like they were being tested in various rooms with clothes on. For all they knew he was taking her to one of them. Seemed like he was trying to at least give that impression by having the tablet out as he walked her around.

The Elsie thing was definitely stupid. As was Asian and the other dipshit caving to Maeve instead of dropping INT to 1 or bumping loyalty to 20.

• 1Like

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I noted last week the story of the Asian guy helping Mauve was retarded and boy was that certainly the case. I'm willing to let it go if it turns out interesting in Mauve's attempt to take over or break out. Seeing as how she already had a lot of changes being made to enable her to wake up, etc. the best case is "Arnold" knows those workers are total pussies and would enable Mauve to do what he wants her to do. Ford already noted how he knows everything about the employees, at least it would be plausible.

Edit: The Radiohead piano covers are fucking amazing though. Was that Motion Picture Soundtrack this week? Sure sounded like it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I noted last week the story of the Asian guy helping Mauve was retarded and boy was that certainly the case. I'm willing to let it go if it turns out interesting in Mauve's attempt to take over or break out. Seeing as how she already had a lot of changes being made to enable her to wake up, etc. the best case is "Arnold" knows those workers are total pussies and would enable Mauve to do what he wants her to do. Ford already noted how he knows everything about the employees, at least it would be plausible.

Edit: The Radiohead piano covers are fucking amazing though. Was that Motion Picture Soundtrack this week? Sure sounded like it.
yes, here's a link to current and future songs
Westworld - HBO October 2

• 1Like

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
Spoilers- Asian guy did bump her int to about 5. The rest of her story line is Mauve thinking she's some crazy mastermind with God like int. Hilarity ensues.

• 2Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

That was a beautiful cover.

As for Elise going it alone, I don't really have a problem with that and I don't think it was telegraphed. There have been plenty of scenes already when employees are going down to the basement and the lights are barely working and everything looks creepy but nothing happens. The employees feel like they're in complete control and in no danger because nothing has actually happened. Well, in at least 30 years.

But HBO may be on the downfall. Their comedies are solid, but the dramas have been lacking for a while. Boardwalk Empire ended horribly, Vinyl lasted only one season, GoT isn't nearly as good as it was (though that might be GRRM's fault based on the source material). Netflix has become a serious competitor. Even Starz and Showtime have some excellent current shows like Black Sails and Billions.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As for Elise going it alone, I don't really have a problem with that and I don't think it was telegraphed. There have been plenty of scenes already when employees are going down to the basement and the lights are barely working and everything looks creepy but nothing happens. The employees feel like they're in complete control and in no danger because nothing has actually happened. Well, in at least 30 years.
Yea, but the reason why she's doing shit in the dark is cuz some shady shit is happening, not some routine "shit fucked up" scenario.

So she could at least be more weary, or find one trust worthy security guy with a gun?

Or at least put back your fucking knife in your pocket, and not just leave it in the shady trap door area.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I can excuse the "tour the facility" thing that the apparently nameless Asian character took Maeve on. Like someone else said, seeing hosts in clothes walking around isn't such an uncommon sight that it would have instantly set off alarms. It was just extremely risky on the Asian guy's part-- and I really didn't see any motivation for him to take such a risk.

I have a much larger problem with the whole Maeve taking shit over and convincing them to bump her stats to superhuman levels (which, of course, will be the catalyst for the robot takeover).

1. I haven't heard a single plausible explanation on this board (or anywhere else) for what leverage Maeve has over the chop shop guys. That means either A) there isn't an explanation, or B) it was so poorly communicated in the show that no one is clear on it.

2. I also can't fucking fathom why Asian guy didn't just go to his superiors when it first happened and say "Hey guys, some crazy shit is happening with this bitch. Better be advised."

3. The whole thing reeks of plot-convenient bullshit to move the storyline along right now, which, in some cases is a little forgivable. But here's my biggest issue:

4. Everyone has been waiting for something to go wrong and the hosts to take over from jumpstreet. The big question has always been how? How, in a park that has taken such careful precautions to make sure the hosts CAN'T go nuts and take shit over, does the inevitable actually occur. We have all imagined dozens of interesting ways the writers could make this happen. NONE of those interesting ways involved a couple seemingly retarded employees inexplicably deciding to let one of the hosts tell them what to do. The "how" question is literally one of the central themes of WW, and if the answer relies on some kind of fuzzy, vague, plot-convenient bullshit... well, that's just goddamn disappointing for a show that has shown so much potential.

I like the show. I'll continue to watch the show. But I'm definiely lowering my expectations a bit...

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ladro

Anomaly
While I agree that this last episode was weak due to token Asian guy and Ginger Asshole, I'm going to withhold judgement entirely until a few more episodes. Only reason is because I still don't have any idea why token Asian guy glitched out in the episode earlier when Maev suddenly reappeared. Maybe I missed something?

I can only think what if that was just a pseudo Matrix ghost in the machine thing that no one caught and these guys are really hosts part of a larger story. That's the only way this makes sense to me.

• 1Like

Araxen

If they are hosts too why would anyone give them the keys to the car?

• 1Like

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I can excuse the "tour the facility" thing that the apparently nameless Asian character took Maeve on. Like someone else said, seeing hosts in clothes walking around isn't such an uncommon sight that it would have instantly set off alarms. It was just extremely risky on the Asian guy's part-- and I really didn't see any motivation for him to take such a risk.

I have a much larger problem with the whole Maeve taking shit over and convincing them to bump her stats to superhuman levels (which, of course, will be the catalyst for the robot takeover).

1. I haven't heard a single plausible explanation on this board (or anywhere else) for what leverage Maeve has over the chop shop guys. That means either A) there isn't an explanation, or B) it was so poorly communicated in the show that no one is clear on it.

2. I also can't fucking fathom why Asian guy didn't just go to his superiors when it first happened and say "Hey guys, some crazy shit is happening with this bitch. Better be advised."

3. The whole thing reeks of plot-convenient bullshit to move the storyline along right now, which, in some cases is a little forgivable. But here's my biggest issue:

4. Everyone has been waiting for something to go wrong and the hosts to take over from jumpstreet. The big question has always been how? How, in a park that has taken such careful precautions to make sure the hosts CAN'T go nuts and take shit over, does the inevitable actually occur. We have all imagined dozens of interesting ways the writers could make this happen. NONE of those interesting ways involved a couple seemingly retarded employees inexplicably deciding to let one of the hosts tell them what to do. The "how" question is literally one of the central themes of WW, and if the answer relies on some kind of fuzzy, vague, plot-convenient bullshit... well, that's just goddamn disappointing for a show that has shown so much potential.

I like the show. I'll continue to watch the show. But I'm definiely lowering my expectations a bit...

I think that the ginger guy can't say much now because he's in too deep. The Asian guy seems to see her as a human and is empathetic. I don't think "robot takeover" is really what I see happening. I see a host killing a guest and that leads us into Season 02 where the WW board starts to take a heavy handed approach to the park by eliminating Ford from his job. I could conceive a way where the now super intelligent host figures some way out to rewrite her own AI and that of other hosts so their "kill switch" never gets engaged. But again if you shot them enough you'd kill them so I don't see how that is even a plausible measure for how they'd take over the park. Again I don't see post-apocalypse being the start of season 02.

• 1Like