Westworld

spronk

FPS noob
gAJBEFZ.gif

I didn't really connect it before but a review mentioned how the flys crawl all over them normally because they are programmed not to hurt any living thing, but now this terminator is able to kill one

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Several small things I noticed:
1. "These violent delights... (Westworld) have violent ends"
The Westworld prides in itself on delivering violent entertainment and all forms of promiscuity...

2 Gunslinger
"I want you to fight..." to Teddy and Delores.

3. technician kissing the whore scene
Inability to distinguish robots from people..idea of emotion being determinant factor in who is human and who is not.

4. When they are in the underground level 82, there is a globe monument with "Delos" around it.

deloscloseup.jpg

5. Delores's Father
"I am what I am because of you..."

(What happened to that mischievous young man?)
"He vanished...when I became your father."

6. Prostitute
I think she may "love" Teddy who loves Delores.

7. There are around 2000 "Hosts"

8. Lee Sizemore is possibly a Host. Bernard is fascinated by her "little reactions" when she is angry. He wants to show it to his "Team." Her primary drive is keeping the theme park insync to script.

9. Creative Director may be managing these mistakes on purpose for next stage evolution...since he views humanity reaching the end of evolution....Corporation may have their own motivations. Hosts have their own purpose probably.

10. The Raid..
"No matter how dirty the business...do it well."
Subconscious coming to life..

Display of inhumane and lack of compassion towards these Host...maybe they wanted to show the tyranny of the guest or something..

11. Delores's Father Crying in the End.

tl;dr

Robot rebellion

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
gAJBEFZ.gif

I didn't really connect it before but a review mentioned how the flys crawl all over them normally because they are programmed not to hurt any living thing, but now this terminator is able to kill one

Everyone else made the connection and it's been mentioned in this thread several times... lol

It's not exactly subtle.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Really good show so far. Beautifully shot. The landscapes and such look incredible. I was shocked that Teddy wasn't a visitor. That really threw me off. The show focusing on an entirely "android" set of characters that relive the same experience every day if they're uninterrupted. It was really surprising.
My wife didn't understand the importance of Delores killing the fly at the end of the episode. I had to explain to her that she was a robot and just minutes prior said that she would never harm a living thing. A fly is living, so shit's about to hit the fan.
Not only that but every other character the fly landed on glitches out but she does not. That is way more important.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
So it seems that the Westworld's "cycle" is 24 hours, but the dude says he initiated the bank heist "a week early". Does that mean in real time, like the heist is a special event? Or maybe the 'world' lasts for several weeks before restarting and we're just being shown the beginning of the cycle.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Not only that but every other character the fly landed on glitches out but she does not. That is way more important.
Teddy didn't glitch out.

So it seems that the Westworld's "cycle" is 24 hours, but the dude says he initiated the bank heist "a week early". Does that mean in real time, like the heist is a special event? Or maybe the 'world' lasts for several weeks before restarting and we're just being shown the beginning of the cycle.

Yeah I think they pushed it faster to make up for mass murder blunder at the tavarn.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Going to have to watch it again and see the fly on Teddy.

Yeah it is a long simulation vacation for people.
vlcsnap-2016-10-04-02h04m25s079.png

I think in a way. When the fly lands on you, you don't react, that robot is about to rebel or evolve or some shit.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
View attachment 80757

I think in a way. When the fly lands on you, you don't react, that robot is about to rebel or evolve or some shit.

I think it's the complete opposite. It means they're behaving normally. It's the ones that kill the fly or freak out because they're not sure what to do with the fly that are in for some crazy shit.

• 1Like

Inque

FunEmployed
Pretty much this; They interrogate Delores with a specific question about killing, and she states No but at the end she's shown to be aware of whats happening and kills the fly.

I want to know if there are ties to the original incidents 30 years prior. They're making some allusions to it with the underground lab and verbal references.

Too early to tell but I'm 50/50 on the Cullen vs Sizemore Host debate. I rewatched their discussion on the overlook and could swear, on second viewing, she was interrogating him to see if his intentions (as a Host in charge of scripting) were good or bad. On the other hand, his questioning to her about rotating out would make it seem like he's fishing to see if she's going to give up info about why everything's going to shit. Stalemate.

So many possibilities, this show knocked it out of the park (no pun intended).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think my HBO feed was crapping out on Comcast because my first thought was it looked cheaply produced. Different enough from the preview that it was very noticeable and with others remarking how great it looked I'll chalk it up to Comcast.

Show was awesome though and delivered everything I expected. Performances were awesome and send like a ton of potential. Plus boobs.

• 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
awesome start really looking forward to watching more of this. Couple of things were bugging me though.
I understand hosts can't hurt guests, but all we saw were the bullets, can hosts punch guests? Like in learning how the guns work scene, what if he ran up and tackled him and starting beating his ass?
Also, during the ending fight scene, the complex says there are 1400 people in the park, yet we only saw 2, were they hiding from all the killing going on, they know they can't be hurt, it was just weird to me that 1398 people were missing from this big fight scene, the 2 new guests were there.

• 1Like

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
8. Lee Sizemore is possibly a Host. Bernard is fascinated by her "little reactions" when she is angry. He wants to show it to his "Team." Her primary drive is keeping the theme park insync to script.

Robot rebellion

I wouldn't read too much into this. He's likely just using it as inspiration for the next update.

• 1Like

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider

They mentioned that the hosts repeat once they get to the end of their story loops. So it could be something simple like most hosts are on a few day cycle, while the bandits are on a much longer cycle.

• 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
There were a guest that said "Those were the best 2 weeks of my life" So i'm unsure how long a cycle is

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
awesome start really looking forward to watching more of this. Couple of things were bugging me though.
I understand hosts can't hurt guests, but all we saw were the bullets, can hosts punch guests? Like in learning how the guns work scene, what if he ran up and tackled him and starting beating his ass?
Also, during the ending fight scene, the complex says there are 1400 people in the park, yet we only saw 2, were they hiding from all the killing going on, they know they can't be hurt, it was just weird to me that 1398 people were missing from this big fight scene, the 2 new guests were there.

There were a ton of guests we saw. A bunch of guys were inside a house fucking chicks while Teddy sat on a chair outside, one guy even says something like "if we can't have any fun outside, we can always use him as target practice", one of them had mentioned earlier he knew Teddy and will grab him as a guide. There were a couple women on the train who whispered while pointing at Teddy about how real he seems. There were a few asians in cowboy outfits talking to Thandy Newton who seemed obviously to be guests, along with a few others there. Probably a few more I missed.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
And it is more than likely that one town is just a small part of the theme park. There could be any number of other locations guests are visiting.

I think the hesitation of Teddy pulling the trigger when the gun was on Ed Harris's forehead was also to imply a physical inability to harm guests. Teddy looked like he couldn't physically even pull the trigger anymore and then just collapsed. So I don't imagine it is just guest bullet invincibility.

Kind of waiting for the reveal of which scientist is a host, just seems like that'll be a thing. Maybe not. Man, the more I think about that first episode the more I really want it to be on Netflix so I can binge.

• 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
There were a ton of guests we saw. A bunch of guys were inside a house fucking chicks while Teddy sat on a chair outside, one guy even says something like "if we can't have any fun outside, we can always use him as target practice", one of them had mentioned earlier he knew Teddy and will grab him as a guide. There were a couple women on the train who whispered while pointing at Teddy about how real he seems. There were a few asians in cowboy outfits talking to Thandy Newton who seemed obviously to be guests, along with a few others there. Probably a few more I missed.

I meant more during the shootout at the end, I think i saw 2 or 3 guests watching and hiding from doors, but that was it (not sure if they were guests) and only the 2 guests ended it. It was just odd to me that with so many people there, why no guest tried to get involved in the shootout and have some fun with it.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider

"Speaking of which, what about the rules of Westworld? In the show, the theme park has the rule that “you can’t kill anyone you’re not supposed to.” Nolan detailed the specific safeguards in place:

It’s not the guns, it’s the bullets. We thought a lot about this. In the original films, the guns won’t operate guest on guest. We felt the guests would want to have a more visceral experience. So when they’re shot, it has an impact. They’re called ‘simmunitions.’ There’s a bit of an impact, a bit of a sting, so it’s not entirely consequence free for the guests.

But what about knives? Could guests stab each other? He said they imagine guests attending Westworld would sign a fairly comprehensive waiver for assumed risk taking part in such a physical theme park. During the panel, Nolan said he was more interested in the hosts and the designers of the hosts than the guest experience
:"

The HBO Westworld Remake Allowed Jonah Nolan to Do Something Christopher Nolan Never Let Him Do

One of the guys at Collider TV Talk mentioned reading some of this on the net, so I searched and found this. He also mentioned reading that hosts aren't allowed to take headshots, but I couldn't find that one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users