Westworld

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think Ford is a Host. He was the Master Mold host that Arnold built to help him. Arnold was the creative aspect and Ford was his technical guy. When Arnold decided to make more of Ford by giving his other hosts sentience, Ford had him killed. Directly or indirectly. The "partner that didn't exist" was probably actually Ford because he was built. I don't know if they name swapped or what, but Ford even says that basically no one is left from their early park days except Doloroes, and a roundabout way, Bernard.

It's the modern neo-Frankenstein story. Benevolent creator makes something that in the end turns on him. Seeks to create it's own creations to achieve true 'life'. Kills anyone/everyone who gets in its way.

I like this, except we've seen Ford as a young man, first in Ford's memory of the park before it opened, then in the last episode when Dolores walks right past him. Hosts don't age, so that wouldn't make any sense.

Also, I think at this point it's pretty obvious that William is the MIB. Everything that the MIB has said points to this being the case. I just don't see Logan as a guy who would give a shit about Dolores at all to keep revisiting her in the park. It's makes more sense that William, who's in love with Dolores, would keep visiting her year after year in the park. It also makes more sense because Logan said in episode 2 that he wanted to see who William really was, and it's revealed in episode 8 that the MIB admitted that he had a dark side that he tried to keep hidden for 30 plus years, and that he finally took on that persona in the park a year ago when his wife committed suicide. It also fits in to the MIB saying that he was "born" in the park. At this point, Logan being the MIB would be a cheap misdirection and pretty lame. The MIB goes through a catharsis in the park. That fits more with William than it does with Logan.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
People who believe it's possible that Logan is the MiB must have some disorder involving facial recognition. No natural aging process would turn Ben Barnes into Ed Harris.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
if we are assuming that, then we have to look at them hiring jimmi simpson to make a believable young ed harris... eh?

ed-harris-image-f72e71807501194619e7dc47ee960541-large-1342033.jpg

vs

Fstatic.playbill.com%2F0f%2Fa5%2F51869143412c8a21154137db373b%2F6199256969e1b0db49615daa1d41c4e2.jpg

yeah no.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
People who believe it's possible that Logan is the MiB must have some disorder involving facial recognition. No natural aging process would turn Ben Barnes into Ed Harris.

That's exactly the kind of logic I'd expect from a replicant.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The whole killing the board thing seems so stupid. Killing the board off will set off massive red flags to the real world and the park could be shutdown because of the slaughtering of the board members.

Westworld itself could just be one giant, story driven distraction incorporated into Futureworld. Ford killing off board members to hold on to his position as the god of his little pocket reality could just be the end-game storyline of that particular part of the larger buffet of leisure.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like

Inque

FunEmployed
Westworld itself could just be one giant, story driven distraction incorporated into Futureworld. Ford killing off board members to hold on to his position as the god of his little pocket reality could just be the end-game storyline of that particular part of the larger buffet of leisure.

And if you want to do 5 seasons of a show what better way than to go this route while still paying homage to the original movies...

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Let me make sense of the wife picture dilemma.

1. I assume when you go into the park, they strip you of all shit not related to the Wild West, how did the brother get that through robo customs?

2. Why the fuck is a brother carrying around a photo of just his sister? that's borderline creepy incestuous, any of you crazy fucks just carry around a lone picture of your sister in your wallet? ok MAYBE you have a group picture, or family picture in there, perfectly normal, but a fucking 5x7 photo of your sister?

3. I'm guessing at some point William ends back at Abernathy ranch, probably searching for Dolores, photo gets lost.

4. Also, the photo is a 1 of 2 pictures brother pulls out.

• 2Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
uhm... yes? when did that happen?

I thought at the very beginning of their little meeting, right after getting in that office. I am going to watch it again on go today and if I am right I will give time stamps.

• 1Like

bralkan

The old ways are still best
Bernard controls the hospital with his kid in his "memory" he was breaking through. Don't think Ford was involved.

I just took it as Hackers-flying-through-the-servers rendering of Bernard breaking through his Cornerstone memory so he could really really for realz remember.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I think William is probably the Man in Black, because they've been dropping a lot of hints towards this conclusion, and as we all saw in the last episode, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and Bernard is just Arnold. The internet is just too smart for this kind of show to keep its secrets under wraps for very long.

My reasons for believing MiB = William :

- Vague resemblance (blonde, blue eyes, I'm ready to handwave the face mole away because sometimes you just want a good actor and not a clone that can't act).
- Both mention books and stories a lot (William says he lived all his childhood in books and stories, and MiB mentions how the world is full of stories but this one is the only one that matters).
- Timeline consistency : William visits Westworld around 30 years prior to current events, and MiB says he has been coming here for 30 years.
- They both know Dolores : William met Dolores 30 years ago, and MiB tells her he's been coming here for 30 years but he's jaded that she doesn't remember him every time.
- They use the same knife (William chose his in his dressing room, MiB just stabs people with it a lot).
- MiB says the hosts "used to be beautiful, with all these intricate milion parts inside", and as we saw, William not only saw Dolores' robo-guts but also dismembered and butchered a whole bunch of soldiers.
- MiB says "in a sense I was born here", and William basically tells Dolores that this is the first time in his life he has been feeling really alive.
- MiB mentions he was married for 30 years then his wife committed suicide, and we know William is supposed to get married soon after his stay at Westworld, which was 30 years ago.
- William is getting so invested into the "game" that he doesn't want to go back to his world, and MiB hates having his immersion broken so much he threatens other visitors who remind him of the outside.

• 4Like

Warflagon

Peasant
Yeah, that's the thing. EVERYONE has thought billy was the MIB since episode 2.

I just won't buy it. Too easy.

I'd rather the MIB be someone completely unknown or unseen as yet. I feel the same about rye in star wars.....please stop everyone knowing/related to each other, it's lame!!

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I'd rather the MIB be someone completely unknown or unseen as yet. I feel the same about rye in star wars.....please stop everyone knowing/related to each other, it's lame!!

Dude, we are talking about the writers of Lost. Did you watch even one whole season of that show? They are the laziest story tellers when it comes to twists and usually default to deus ex machina to bail them out of even the shallowest plot twist.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: out of all of my friends and family members who watch the show, NONE of them have even guessed yet that William=MIB. It is clever writing, just that it was spoiled for most of us because of people posting all over the Internet about it. Would most of us have guessed it by now without the spoilers? Probably, but I definitely didn't have it figured out after only episode 2. A lot of people turn their brains off when they watch a TV show, they're not necessarily watching it as intuitively as the people who post here.

• 1Like

Warflagon

Peasant
Dude, we are talking about the writers of Lost. Did you watch even one whole season of that show? They are the laziest story tellers when it comes to twists and usually default to deus ex machina to bail them out of even the shallowest plot twist.

I'll go you one better. I've never seen a single episode of lost.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: out of all of my friends and family members who watch the show, NONE of them have even guessed yet that William=MIB. It is clever writing, just that it was spoiled for most of us because of people posting all over the Internet about it. Would most of us have guessed it by now without the spoilers? Probably, but I definitely didn't have it figured out after only episode 2. A lot of people turn their brains off when they watch a TV show, they're not necessarily watching it as intuitively as the people who post here.

Can't agree with this more - Just #westworld on twitter after an episode to prove this true. For us it seems like it's way too obvious, but that doesn't ring true for the slobbering mass of humanity watching this show every week. For fun, when GOT comes back #GOT after an episode, grab your popcorn, and revel in your intellectual superiority. It's probably more fun than the episodes themselves. Interested to see how the wrap this up knowing we've got 4 more seasons to come - think this may end up being an episodic type of deal ala True Detective - Futureworld, etc. Don't have a problem with that so long as there are loose ties between each season.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm pretty sure this was not written by anyone who wrote for Lost. Abrams is a producer for this, not a writer or director.

• 3Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Lol at comparing the writing to lost. It's clearly nowhere near flawless, but come on. Maybe whoever came up with the Maeve garbage was getting pointers from JJ or something, but on the whole? Nah.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

This is sadly as true as it gets. Like that super shitty season of Dexter where a primary character was a schizophrenic hallucination the whole time. Even though the telegraphing was obscenely obvious (character never spoke or interacted with anything or anyone other than the guy hallucinating him despite very clear situations where he would have to) not a single person I knew saw that one coming in the finale.

Same thing is the case here. Most people are absolutely unaware of any of these connections and it will hit them like a ton of bricks. Maybe us shitlords expect too much and I'll agree that my nitpicking of deceptive writing is a bit elitist. But deceptive writing in film or literature is my biggest pet peeve. I can't stand that shit at all.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity