Westworld

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well that's often the problem when people who want to work in "their own vision" into a classic IP. They start off with the IP in the space which made it great, then each iterative step from there they move it further from what made it great until they're pumping out drivel and wondering why nobody is as enthralled as they were in season 1 ...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The Morrigan

Potato del Grande
Season 1 was about as great of a first season you'll ever see in a show. Highly polished. Shows like Star Trek TNG didn't find their footing till season 3. Meanwhile this show hit the gates sprinting, but had nothing after that first lap and totally faceplanted in the third season.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brad2770

Season 1 was about as great of a first season you'll ever see in a show. Highly polished. Shows like Star Trek TNG didn't find their footing till season 3. Meanwhile this show hit the gates sprinting, but had nothing after that first lap and totally faceplanted in the third season.
I’m kind of glad I only watched the first season and stopped. I really wanted it to be good, but as I waited for the second season to come out in full to binge, the responses here convinced me to go no further.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Season 1 was basically Lost-itis. They had some awesome badass idea and everyone is like "I can't wait to find out what 'the game' is!" Then, unfortunately, the writers were like "us too!"

You hit the nail on the head; they wrote all these cool mysteries and subplots into the first season but never thought about the end of the story. This needed a writing team that had everyone's stories written for a 2 - 4 season show, executed on it, and then done all of the weird 'what if' stuff in the eventual successor shows that they would have been thrown money at to make.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I was really expecting this to turn into our generation's "Fantasy Island" with guest stars showing up and having shit resolved in the theme park. Ah, well.

spronk

FPS noob
I was really expecting this to turn into our generation's "Fantasy Island" with guest stars showing up and having shit resolved in the theme park. Ah, well.

so many crossover possibilities lost, like tears in rain

damn phil got fat

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Staying in the park wouldnt have changed the quality of the show. Or did you all not watch Season 2?

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, season 1 was great for water cooler conversation, but by the end of the season it was clear that the writers had a great sandbox but didn't really know what to do with it.

It feels like the reason things fell apart was because they left the park but no matter what happened it would have fallen apart because, again, the writers didn't really have any kind of clear end game.

There's like, some weird new age writers school ideology where they tell the students that without a good setting, no one will be interesting in your story, and to some degree that's true, but they put so much time and focus into creating something that will draw people in, but then have developed zero skill in actually retaining those people. It's like the school of clickbait

Cybsled

There's like, some weird new age writers school ideology where they tell the students that without a good setting, no one will be interesting in your story, and to some degree that's true, but they put so much time and focus into creating something that will draw people in, but then have developed zero skill in actually retaining those people. It's like the school of clickbait

I think the bigger problem is they focus less on an overall narrative arc beyond a single season. Now I can understand the pitfalls of that: If your story arc is too broad, and you don't get renewed, then there is no satisfying payoff for the fans. But unless you have some really strong groundwork, you'll just be sort of figuring it out as you go along. Sometimes that can work, but most times it gets messy.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I’m kind of glad I only watched the first season and stopped. I really wanted it to be good, but as I waited for the second season to come out in full to binge, the responses here convinced me to go no further.
The rest is worth watching if you're out of other shit to watch. Just don't even look at it as being the same show.

• 1Solidarity