What are you listening to at the moment?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This is a good time to ask a question. I've stopped keeping track of most music past 15 years or so because GODDAM DO I HAVE A LOT OF MUSIC. I'm just digging my stash, so to speak, and am more than happy.

Hip hop for me, at the latest, is Missy Elliot I think. So I am out of touch. But I have a question. Jay-Z, for example, it seems to me, is a perfectly fine rapper. The beats, flow, humor, rhymes, the little tricks that make a good rapper make me laugh out loud sometimes. Good stuff! That vid was dandy.

Here is where I am missing something. Why has Kanye West been able to make a single dollar? That's an honest question. What am I missing?
Rap, like all music "evolves" so to speak. Kanye is usually riding the cutting edge and/or creating rap evolution, and people love him for it. A lot of his songs are very hit or miss, but people still flock to it. I think the last Kanye song I enjoyed was a strange one he did with Jay-Z (imagine that).

I actually watched "Blades of Glory" because this song sampled some of the lines from it. Turns out it wasn't played during the movie at all. It was just a sample.
I don't really understand the evolution of rap at all, but Sam Roberts talks about it every now and then on Jim & Sam's radio show.

i discovered emo rap meanwhile. I think I see what's going on. ok, it makes sense now. he's kind of a functional syd barret fellow and sometimes its so messed up its good.

I'm telling you, dudes that walk around with their male pattern baldness proudly, will be the next thing. There ain't a damn thing wrong with Phil Collins' hairline. Put away the razor and buzzers gentlemen. Let it grow and live, dammit, live!

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user