What are you playing?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I played Hades for like 5 minutes before refunding. I'm just so salty in my first impressions of games, even when they are really highly rated. Same thing with Risk of Rain 2. Everyone loves it and I hated it.

I often reject games with 10 minutes of play time over the dumbest shit like the style, or the tutorial or whatever. Maybe I am just too old and crusty, maybe too impatient.
Yeah that’s crazy. Unless it’s crashing or something that’s way too fast. You have two hours, give each game that and you’ll find more that you like.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I couldn't get into Witcher 3 either, but I'm the type of guy that has never once played a game or enjoyed a game for it's story.
Same here. That’s probably the only game in 20 years the story was really interesting to me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Started replaying Silent Hill series a few weeks ago. Almost finished with 3. Never played Origins before so will do that after 4.

Other than that BF1. Still plenty of people playing private servers. And Civ 5 while listening to podcasts.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Picked up Roguebook since it was on sale and played it a lot in a few days. It’s not super hard at first (I cleared all three maps on my second or third run) but it’s still fun. There’s a lot of mobs and cards and artifacts I still haven’t seen and making broken decks is a blast. I’ve lost more runs than I’ve won now, adding the difficulty things (like Hades heats) makes it tough. It’s awesome when you figure out a broken synergy and can kill final bosses in a couple rounds, while you have full health. It’s like they built it for you to figure out OP builds and I’m cool with that.

The graphics of it turned me off for a long time, but the gameplay is right up there with Monster Train, StS, etc. Great deck builder.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Should I buy Returnal or Metroid Dread next?

Probably too late to answer this now, but TBH I'd go with neither. Dread is pretty forgettable unless you're a huge Metroid fan who gets something out of the new lore. Returnal is fantastic, might be the "moodiest" game I've played in the sci-fi space genre since Metroid Prime 2. However Returnal is also extremely difficult unless you're really gonna put some time into it and master it. One of those things where you get more the more you put in. It's also more of a rogue-like than a Metroidvania.

As for what I'm playing: I beat Dragon Quest 6, Metroid Dread, Aliens, and Hades. About to play the new CoD and then Pokemon Gen 4 (both the old and new versions, specifically Platinum and Brilliant Diamond, not sure in what order). Surprised neither of those have any real presence on this board.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Picked up returnal on sale this week! Will check it out after I finish GoTG. Had Metroid in my hand but at full price put it back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Picked up returnal on sale this week! Will check it out after I finish GoTG. Had Metroid in my hand but at full price put it back.

Let me know how it goes. I thought Returnal was awesome but I gave up on it after a few hours because I didn't want to put the time in to git gud. If you do, I bet it'll work out well, and maybe it'll inspire me to take another swing at it.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Let me know how it goes. I thought Returnal was awesome but I gave up on it after a few hours because I didn't want to put the time in to git gud. If you do, I bet it'll work out well, and maybe it'll inspire me to take another swing at it.
yeah same. Returnal has fantastic gameplay. I do wish they could implement a hades style death buff though for us old folks.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
My DnD group is going to play Divinity Original Sin II - Definitive Edition.
4 player co-op, Tactical level difficulty.
Damn game is a rabbit hole of builds. I spent over 100 hours solo a few years ago.

About to finish my first play through, one of the best games that I've ever played.

I want more like it!

joz123

Potato del Grande
Playing through the DS Castlevanias and man Order of Ecclesia is hard. Gotta switch out glyphs constantly because one enemy might be weak to hammers then the next swords or some shit. And bosses can kill you in like 4 hits.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Me and my son pulled Enter the Gungeon out the dust of my Steam library and have been taking turns being either too old or too young to be good at roguelites - we put around 6 hours in this weekend.

I cannot sit down and do an extended engagement with these types of games (after about 3-4 deaths I just quit). But if I get a break between losses I have a lot more stamina (read: patience).

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Currently playing The Last of Us Remastered. I think I'm almost done, then onto the DLC I guess.
is the 2nd one good? For some reason I remember people shitting on it.

spronk

FPS noob
i never played TLOU2 but watched a few twitch streams when it released and it really, really plays up the "women are strong, men are pathetic" angle, leans hard in on feminist/misogny tropes, and is super grim and depressing and long. Gameplay and visuals look good but it feels like its aimed squarely at female incels (a market i didn't even know existed pre 2021), any dude who likes to fuck hot chicks will keep wondering "why the fuck am i playing this shitty story".

trying to play deathloop between halo infinite and forza horizon 5, its a decent game but just not clicking for me. normally i'll play an hour or two of something and look forward the next day to playing more, but with deathloop i keep making excuses not to play. i watched 3 hours of downton abbey last night rather than play, lol

• 1Worf

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Having heard the cry of the incel, insecure white male and other such whiners I too came into TLOU2 with trepidation. But if you just play the game and stop letting agendas and politics live your life for you it turns out it was not bad. Largest complaint I had was stealth kill animations take fucking forever and it got very old about halfway through. Now do I want to play games that are lesbian murder rampage simulator on the regular? No, but it didn't hurt to play this one.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So was bull shitting with my buddy and was thinking how awesome it'd be if there was a Farcry style game, but set in the Dragon Age world. I suppose this is basically Dragon Age? I don't know? The quick combat style of Farcry is appealing, and open-world map, but action-based combat where you "storm a base" and your buddy is popping arrow sniper shots and you're shooting magic missiles. Feel like it'd be super neat?

Does this exist?

cradeg

Molten Core Raider
the older I get the more I enjoy downloading a game and imagine how great it will be in my head ..... which in the end turns out to be a complete letdown when I am actually playing it

PC : AC Odyssey , Fortnite , Timberon , FFXIV , ESO , Cyberpunk (if I find one hour a day for any of them I am doing good )
XBOX X : AC Origins ( looks still awesome on a big TV for its age) ; Skyrim Anniversary Edition
Parking List : Witcher 3 on XBOX X with the Next Gen Patch

I really would like to enjoy Gamepass but as an example, Forza 5 > not even 5 minutes and I was bored with it ...

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
the older I get the more I enjoy downloading a game and imagine how great it will be in my head ..... which in the end turns out to be a complete letdown when I am actually playing it

PC : AC Odyssey , Fortnite , Timberon , FFXIV , ESO , Cyberpunk (if I find one hour a day for any of them I am doing good )
XBOX X : AC Origins ( looks still awesome on a big TV for its age) ; Skyrim Anniversary Edition
Parking List : Witcher 3 on XBOX X with the Next Gen Patch

I really would like to enjoy Gamepass but as an example, Forza 5 > not even 5 minutes and I was bored with it ...
Time is a limited resource for many of us, but 5 minutes seems a little extreme. You couldn't even get through the starting credits/race in that amount of time. Lol. At least give games a chance before you shelf them!!

joz123

Potato del Grande
LOL 5 minutes. You can't even start playing a Yakuza game in that amount of time.