What are you playing?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Picked up a Switch Lite a couple weeks ago so I'm revisiting and trying for the first time a few of the classics: Metroid, Zelda:A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 3.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
HotS with bots. Don't hate. The bots are really well done, murdering them gives me a tower-defense-like feeling.

Borderlands 3 DLC coop.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
I'm playing Ultima IV. I'm not exactly sure why. I played it originally in 1987 but never finished. I think I got down to the Abyss before giving up. I'm trying to play it without any spoilers or tips or anything - which is actually proving to be pretty hard because some of the dungeons are messed up. I still remember where some of items and stuff are (Mandrake especially). I'm not sure if it is actually fun or whether I've maybe gone insane. I have so many so much better games to play but for some reason...I'm sitting at my PC playing an ancient game. Its weird.

I had almost the exact same experience with Ultima V. I fought my way through the Abyss(fuck mongbats), and then through the final dungeon all the way to Lord British trapped in a prison, and I got stuck without seeing the ending because I didn't find and bring some "sandalwood box?" I also couldn't return to the surface for some reason. It was crushing for my 8 year old self.

I finally finished Wizardry 7 earlier this year after about 18 months of playing on and off, and I had thoughts similar to yours during my 100+ hour playthrough. Have I lost my mind? Am I having fun? Why am I doing this to myself? The answer for me is that the hugely influential Wizardry trilogy has always been on my bucket list. It doesn't hurt that I have a pathological love of dungeon-crawling and BLOBers. Still, it was a hard slog. You have to love these ancient games and their lack of hand-holding. If you screwed up in these games, you were well and truly fucked. For anyone else who wants to foray into ancient 30 year old RPGs, I strongly suggest using a guide. You don't want to make the game unwinnable because you said the wrong thing to someone, or didn't pick up a certain item in time.

Fortunately Wizardry 8 looks a lot more manageable gameplay-wise.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Finished Days Gone. Loved it. It's like Dying Light meets Far Cry. My favorite part was the unconventional story-telling and characters. I liked the main character especially because he's kind of a dick and makes all sorts of bad decisions. It's refreshingly honest compared to the do-gooders you usually see in games. Also, hordes in Days Gone are really quite an interesting enemy type I don't think I've ever seen in an FPS. They require strategic handling, like fighting the Zerg in Starcraft.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Playing the shit out of ME:Shadow of War lately. I'm just trying to fill out all of my regions with some level 80 pipe-hittin' Orcs and let the AI break itself against my army in seige mode.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I had almost the exact same experience with Ultima V. I fought my way through the Abyss(fuck mongbats), and then through the final dungeon all the way to Lord British trapped in a prison, and I got stuck without seeing the ending because I didn't find and bring some "sandalwood box?" I also couldn't return to the surface for some reason. It was crushing for my 8 year old self.

I finally finished Wizardry 7 earlier this year after about 18 months of playing on and off, and I had thoughts similar to yours during my 100+ hour playthrough. Have I lost my mind? Am I having fun? Why am I doing this to myself? The answer for me is that the hugely influential Wizardry trilogy has always been on my bucket list. It doesn't hurt that I have a pathological love of dungeon-crawling and BLOBers. Still, it was a hard slog. You have to love these ancient games and their lack of hand-holding. If you screwed up in these games, you were well and truly fucked. For anyone else who wants to foray into ancient 30 year old RPGs, I strongly suggest using a guide. You don't want to make the game unwinnable because you said the wrong thing to someone, or didn't pick up a certain item in time.

Sseth Tzeentach Just Reviewed Wizardry 8

Expect 120 - 150 hours of play time. He modded it to speed up the combat.

I got 7 - 9 (6 to 8?) on a deep Steam sale one fall and I have not even opened them.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
10 Hour Challenge Continues:

Stoneshard - Isometric early access rpg/roguelite. Has it's own thread. It's okay so far. The first (prologue) boss is a kick in the sack because you need range/spells and I always go with 2H Melee. Nice design. Regardless I've liked it so far.
Book of Demons - Isometric pseudo ARPG - For some reason I watched a video on this the other day and my interest was piqued. I bought it quite a while ago and put about 3 hours into it. Lots of stuff added since I last played (2 more classes and more monster types) and I like the gameplay loop. Summoner mobs eat your breakfast. Definitely like this game.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Played them all when they were new. I still play through the wizardry series including the real early ones. Played them originally too. Just something to pass time.

• 1Like

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
DLC roundup. Finished Guns, Love, and Tentacles for BL3, which was above average for a Borderlands DLC. Cthulhu vibe which I dig. I spent half the time farming Aurelia for level 57 upgrades to my gear. Finished all the DLC for Spider-Man, and am finding the franchise wearing out its welcome. The only things Spider-Man really had were fun combat and incredible open world freedom of movement. The characters are annoying. The villains suck. The dialogue is awful. The jokes are all dad humor that land with a thud.

Playing Kentucky Route 0. It's pretty quirky. Getting a magical realism vibe.

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Installed botw on pc. Playing it on keyboard is lame but I won't buy a switch any time soon. So far I like it. Brings back some good memories of prior games in the series.

• 1Like

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
DLC roundup. Finished Guns, Love, and Tentacles for BL3, which was above average for a Borderlands DLC. Cthulhu vibe which I dig. I spent half the time farming Aurelia for level 57 upgrades to my gear. Finished all the DLC for Spider-Man, and am finding the franchise wearing out its welcome. The only things Spider-Man really had were fun combat and incredible open world freedom of movement. The characters are annoying. The villains suck. The dialogue is awful. The jokes are all dad humor that land with a thud.

Playing Kentucky Route 0. It's pretty quirky. Getting a magical realism vibe.

Finished Kentucky Route 0. Imagine if Neil Gaiman made an adventure game; it would look something like this. I liked the strange urban fantasy setting, but so many long stretches of the game are boring. I don't mind wordy games if the dialogue is interesting. Kentucky Route 0 is "very" wordy, but 70% of the dialogue is like overhearing people at the airport talk about visiting their relatives. It's just fucking ponderous, man. The game is definitely different, with lots of bold and original ideas. Some parts that connect are spectacular. If they cut out 70% of the dialogue, the game would be pretty good. As it is, I'm on the fence. The last act in the game was like watching paint dry.

Playing Dragon Quest Builders 2.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
10 Hour Challenge Continues:

Stoneshard - Isometric early access rpg/roguelite. Has it's own thread. It's okay so far. The first (prologue) boss is a kick in the sack because you need range/spells and I always go with 2H Melee. Nice design. Regardless I've liked it so far.
Book of Demons - Isometric pseudo ARPG - For some reason I watched a video on this the other day and my interest was piqued. I bought it quite a while ago and put about 3 hours into it. Lots of stuff added since I last played (2 more classes and more monster types) and I like the gameplay loop. Summoner mobs eat your breakfast. Definitely like this game.
Any that you quit prior to 10 hours because so bad?

I admire your ability to just jump into games like that. Takes a huge mental leap for me every time I try a new game and hit that play button.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Any that you quit prior to 10 hours because so bad?

I admire your ability to just jump into games like that. Takes a huge mental leap for me every time I try a new game and hit that play button.

Not yet. But so far I have picked games in which I am actually interested. Ten hours, at least so far, has been relatively easy. Some games hit a wall early, around 4 hours, but if you can push through they pick up again. At least the ones I have played. Sunless Sea is a good example. I actually really enjoyed the last 5 hours but there was an hour in there that was a grind.

I started this because I usually just go play PoE even though I am not necessarily enjoying it. So I will play a game for one sitting and just go back to PoE. I feel like I get a good idea of a game in 10 hours. Book of Demons is the only one so far that I really want to keep playing. I am on about 15 hours now.

Recent purchase on deep sale:

Star Valor - Typical top down spaceship action/RPG ala SPAZ. It is pretty low brow and indie. This one may not make the 10 hours. The combat is stupid so far because even though I am level 10 I can only fight 2 level 4 enemies back to back and have to go repair. I think I can find some healing drones soon which should make it better. But since there is a level 4 pirate system between me and the next system, it is a little annoying. May have to restart.

EDIT - Stoneshard wore out it's welcome at 3 hours. Fuck that game. It is unfriendly and not in a "challenge the player" way. Maybe they rebalance it at some point, but it is NOT fun in its present form.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My gaming ADD roulette now includes (links to forum threads):
  1. Old World - fun Civ / Crusader Kings mashup over on EGS
  2. Final Fantasy 14 - for at least the 8 days my account is active
  3. Astroneer - (going to bump this thread) friends and I have hit this hard the last 2 weekends
  4. Sea of Thieves, only one sessions, but friends have started to get into it. Just wish we could play without PVP.
I'll be on voluntary leave for the month of June, looking forward to the above and Minecraft Dungeons. I really want to dig into an MMO, so hoping I last beyond level 35 this time in FF14. Snagged the expansions and stuff so I'm a little more committed... initially. Really wanted to give the Fallout 76 free weekend a go, but the above edged it out for playtime.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Just bought Bloodstained when it was 20 bucks on PSN. So much shit to do in it. 40 hours in and haven't gotten all the items or maxed level yet and on first playthrough.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
BOTW. Two divine beasts down. Not sure what % of the game that is.

Also trying to play throigh the Witcher 3

Raskoljnikov

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. After a bit slow start I'm starting to actually enjoy. Good atmosphere and great presentation.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Pool of Radiance - Gold box one not that garbage from 2001.

Gonna do a full run through Pools of Darkness with the same group I hope. All human no res.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Raskoljnikov

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yakuza Kiwami 2 and having so much fun! Everything is just like I expected and even better. Looks great, although previous games have been nice aswell. At the very beginning we got an option to remember the events from previous game which is cool since hardly anyone will play one game after another. Everything seems more organized. Crazy substories are still there and also lot of mini games.