What are you playing?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Still hooked on bullet/mob hell games.

Playing Spellbook Demonslayers and Spirit Hunters: Infinite Horde. Great casual short play session games and the latter has had some good EA updates recently.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I've been playing Little With Nobeta. It's a weeb dark souls with a loli witch girl. It's not life changing, but it's definitely been fun.

ss_00bf4186d641c2d231757ccf41f12c709be4d0f2.1920x1080_1593343602_1_1.jpg

• 1WTF

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've been playing Little With Nobeta. It's a weeb dark souls with a loli witch girl. It's not life changing, but it's definitely been fun.

View attachment 450808

The only Weeb Dark Souls I played was Code Vein and it turned out to be really good. Not big on Weeby stuff, but I'd probably try this if it was on console.

If I could redo the last 21 years of my gaming life I honestly can say I wish I would have just stuck with everquest live server since release (other then a break for when Vanguard was out!). I would have saved literally what 100k easy that I've spent on various video games/systems/gacha's etc and probably had more fun as I enjoy games that have that long term sense of purpose and progression.

"If I could redo the last 21 years of my gaming life" would be an interesting thread to post in. Or just an "If I could redo the last decade of my life" thread, except that invites lots of sitting around regretting shit. As far as gaming goes, if I could redo the last 21 years of my gaming, I'd spend less time on games I didn't like just because they were in a series I did like (Fallout 4, GTA San Andreas, etc etc) and more time trying new things out. In particular I wish I'd stayed current on Elder Scrolls, Armored Core, and a couple other things. And spent a lot more time getting into computer games, like the whole CRPG genre, and sim things like Europa Universalis and Cities Skylines. At this point there are a ton of PS1 games and early-2000's PC games that I want to check out, but everything's so antiquated now that it would have made more sense to check them out in-era.

I've mentioned to people before that $15 a month for an MMO might seem like a lot of spending for something you don't get to keep, but it's actually very little when you factor in how much you get out of some MMOs. Like a month of EQ can supply a hundred hours of things to do, easy, while you're paying $60 for other games that might be over in, what, 10 hours or something.

I actually DID keep up on EQ, at least from 99-2001, 2004-2014, and 2017-2021. And yeah, it did feel good to be playing something persistent that "mattered". I'd beat a regular game and that was it. I'd beat an expansion or a major quest chain in EQ and it'd just be one part of an ongoing saga. Everything mattered and made my characters better over time. So that's pretty cool.

That said, you weren't missing that much. The last expansion I really liked was the one where you reach level 100, which was I think 2012 or so. There are some high points since then like Empires of Kunark and The Burning Lands. The game hasn't been terribly interesting for a while on live servers.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That is some seriously pretty visuals there - I'd be interested to know your thoughts after playing it a bit.

I love it, but gaming ADD and other things took me away from my initial playthrough and haven't been back yet. Some good content creators played the shit out of it though, lots of playthroughs on youtube to click through. Game is amazing and I need to get back to it.

Friends and I started playing Bloons TD 6 now that it was free on Epic. Otherwise we play Element TD 2 to cap off our co-op nights which have recently revisited Age of Empires IV. The 2 new civs we haven't played yet was pretty fun (Malians and Ottomans).

Also got the holiday trophy for Phasmophobia, was fun that it's so accessible but still take some effort, instead of the more extreme requirements of the last one.

Last edited:

Szlia

370360_20230104062359_1.png

Gaming hard in TIS-100 :D Thanks again DickTrickle DickTrickle ! That's one strange game. I guess some people have a nostalgia for when programing was some insane feat of optimization and work under constraint so this is a recreation of that in a gamified format using a fantasy architecture (each box/unit runs its program independently and only stops when it waits for handshakes to get or pass data). It's satisfying in a weird way but... also... why?

Also played through another, more conventional puzzle game called Hiding Spot. It's one of those sokoban-adjacent game, where you push stuff on a grid, except you can also pull and it's in 3D and you manipulate more than just crates. The goal is tu have the character be hidden, so ducking and having stuff on all 6 sides of the cube he occupies (1 is always the floor, and the other should be a mix of furniture and walls). 50ish puzzles and there are some clever ones in the bunch. I gave up on a couple myelf. Shame on me! It still took me a little more than 6 hours to beat.

Oh! Also played There Is No Game a kind of meta-comedy take on point and click adventure / escape room. A lot of creativity involved in that one, but it's one of those game that has constant voice acting with 99% of the lines having to be a joke of some sort. I may be a Debbie Downer, but it's a bit more draining than actually funny. I would recommend playing it in short sessions. It took me about 5 hours to go through it. Some of the things you need to do to progress are at times a bit too convoluted or finnicky for my taste, but there is a nice hint system integrated in the game, so you can manage the level of frustration you are willing to endure.

All 3 played on PC via Steam, but Hiding Spot is available on just about everything I believe (it's designed for controller play, but keyboard can be used).

Once I am done with TIS-100, the next game will probably be Heaven's Vault. Some sort of adventure/puzzle game around deciphering ancient languages ? The theme sounded interesting and heard good things from trusted sources. SInce it was also on sale, I bought it almost blind and we'll see !

PS: I have also been working on my Super Ghouls & Ghost speedrun. My time is now down to 44 minutes. A 41:XX should be obtainable. Going lower will require some tweaks in the route and learning some new strats/techs.

• 1Solidarity

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Balls deep in Valheim with a group of friends. Just took out Modor and so now we'll probably spend a few days upgrading and prepping for the Plains. We already have a base there we'll need to spin up some of our new unlocks, prep gear, etc.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Starting Crisis Core tomorrow, looking forward to that. Also trying to knock off more challenges in the Mega Man Collection and the last 3 bosses I didn't defeat in Cuphead's DLC. One of them is Chef Saltbaker and I hear he's a real bastard.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just sent Crisis Core back to GameFly after slogging through about 6 hours of it. Terrible game. If FF7R+DLC is a solid 8 or 8.5, then CC is at most a 4-5. The combat sucks, Zack's VO is among the worst of all time, the side mission content is a fucking joke (endless reuse of the same maps that are partitioned into shoebox-size chunks, and you can skip all the pointless fights just by hugging the wall as you run around), and the main story did nothing to grab me either.

Now I've got Midnight Suns, and it's basically like everyone said. The writing makes the degenerates writing actual comics these days look talented by comparison and everything between missions is utter shit, but the combat actually is pretty fun.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Finally doing my first playthrough of Mount and Blade: Bannerlord, well on my way to painting the map as Vlandia. It's weird to find a non-turnbased game that manages to so perfectly hit that "just one more turn" part of the brain as well as this one does.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Grim Dawn is the most fun in an ARPG I have ever had. Destroys Diablo.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just picked up the Ultimate Edition of Tales of Arise in an effort to ween myself off my Elden Ring addiction. 700+ hours seems a bit excessive.

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Grim Dawn is the most fun in an ARPG I have ever had. Destroys Diablo.
I just picked this up recently myself and I'm having an absolute blast. It's amazing that it's basically just a Titan Quest mod.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just picked up the Ultimate Edition of Tales of Arise in an effort to ween myself off my Elden Ring addiction. 700+ hours seems a bit excessive.

Funny cause I was supposed to play Crisis Core today and instead I fired up Elden Ring and ended up playing it for a couple hours and discovering new stuff. I think it's up to like 250 hours because half the time when I'm intending to play something else, I end up defaulting to it.

Just sent Crisis Core back to GameFly after slogging through about 6 hours of it. Terrible game. If FF7R+DLC is a solid 8 or 8.5, then CC is at most a 4-5. The combat sucks, Zack's VO is among the worst of all time, the side mission content is a fucking joke (endless reuse of the same maps that are partitioned into shoebox-size chunks, and you can skip all the pointless fights just by hugging the wall as you run around), and the main story did nothing to grab me either.

This is definitely the harshest review of CC that I've seen. The side missions are just there for people going for 100% / wanting more to do.

The main story is only gonna grab people who are really into the Shinra part of FF7's universe.

As for the combat and VO etc, IDK, I haven't played this version. All I know for sure is that the original CC was probably the most fun I had on PSP back in the day.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is definitely the harshest review of CC that I've seen. The side missions are just there for people going for 100% / wanting more to do.

The main story is only gonna grab people who are really into the Shinra part of FF7's universe.

As for the combat and VO etc, IDK, I haven't played this version. All I know for sure is that the original CC was probably the most fun I had on PSP back in the day.
The bottom line is that even though it's [sort of] crammed into the FF7R engine, it's still a PSP game which is not something I have any desire to play on my PS5. It's like Type-0 HD all over again.

Maybe if I'd gotten it for the Switch (especially since visually you barely lose anything according to what I've heard) it would have been more tolerable. Well, except for Zack. Nothing could ever make his voice or the maximum-cringe dialogue they wrote for him tolerable.

Last edited:

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Playing nothing and I'm bored. Too old/don't have enough time for an MMO. Don't have my sim rig yet for GT7. Can't see or react fast enough to play FPS like I used to. Went through Divinity 2 twice and that was fun, but can't see doing it a third time. Just have to wait for the next game from Larian? Maybe the new Space Marine will be decent? I feel like I'd be happiest playing Sim City 2000 today...

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I picked up Assassins Creed Valhalla on sale a while ago and since they released the 'final' DLC I decided to give it a go, this game is gigantic and I think it will take me approximately the life cycle of our sun to finish it.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Screenshotted>
I picked up Assassins Creed Valhalla on sale a while ago and since they released the 'final' DLC I decided to give it a go, this game is gigantic and I think it will take me approximately the life cycle of our sun to finish it.

Ya it’s huge, was about 100-110 hrs for my plat (no dlc).

• 1Solidarity

Goonsquad Officer
playing dragon quest XI.

i spotted a tranny. see if yall can too:

1672962773980.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 4 users

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I started ff7 crisis core as well and I agree it is just bad. I have tried 3 or 4 times to play for an hour before getting bored and turning it off.

I instead saw my son playing this and decided to give it a try myself.

It is a total souls clone, almost to the point it feels like it ripped the combat directly from the game. I am only a couple hours in but enjoying it so far. The first major area after the tutorial dungeon really feels like the converted narshe from ff6 to 3d almost. No idea how long it is but i tentatively recommend it.