What did you just read?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh I can find it quite easily, just not from work
biggrin.png

khalid

Unelected Mod
Just finished
A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918: G.J. Meyer: 9780553382402: Amazon.com: Books
A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918 by G.J. Meyer

I have read several books on WW1 and the great WW1 episodes by hardcore history, but I have to say that this topped them all.

It kind of "did it all". Covered all the battles and the back and forth struggles like the other books, but managed to also cover the political structures of all the major powers, gave time to even minor powers coming in. It also covered the personalities of the generals and how this had effects on the battles and the lack of a conclusion for so long. It also did a great job of giving the central powers just as much (if not more) coverage than the allies.

Funny enough, Hodj recommended it over a disagreement we had over who started WW1. One of the great things that this book did, is do a great job of showing what an utter clusterfuck of diplomacy led to this thing.

Can't recommend it enough. However, as all WW1 books are, it is also depressing as fuck. Worth it though.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Personally never seen it, sorry.

A world undone is a great read/listen though

Irt khalid on what caused the war, of course the diplomatic relations were a giant clusterfuck that helped contribute to the conflict. Everyone had a hand in laying out the dominos so that they would all fall over.

But I think most historians at this point broadly concede/accept that Germany's misperception that if they only moved fast enough they could win everything they wanted in a short time and then talk everyone else into capitulation, which led to their heavy hand and willingness to mobilize and attack within hours over something like Russia mobilizing (which everyone including the Germans knew would take months and would almost certainly come long before any formal declaration of war on the Russians' part because of the logistics of their situation) is what ultimately pushed all the dominos over and started the war.

Thats why Germany gets the blame. Its not to deny everyone had some hand in creating the situation as it played out, they did. But Germany was the guy willing to strike the match and light the gasoline, while others were content to sit and watch it evaporate.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I just finished "The Book of Strange New Things" by Michel Faber. It was slow at first, but the story is pretty fantastic. Basically, a missionary goes to a new planet to teach the Bible to the inhabitants while his wife stays back on Earth. It's really pretty morbid and depressing, but fascinating. If anyone is looking for a darker, stranger piece of sci fi, I recommend it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Almost done with The March North. I didn't understand half that book. I didn't get anything really. Strangely want more but not really.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I started it, and am not sure I want to continue. I love The Black Company, but this is another step altogether, and it is blatantly done on purpose.

I tried to explain it to a friend by comparing it to football. Imagine someone wrote a book describing an entire football game, but assumed you knew the game and all of the terminology. If you were an alien and the first thing you read was that book, you'd have no fucking clue what first down, rush, sack, etc. are let alone more esoteric things like nickel packages and lineman stunts. That is exactly what this book is. He has figured out all of the rules and terms for the magic system, but is purposely not explaining any of it and instead just telling it as if you know it. Which is impossible, because he's the only one that knows it.

I have hopes that eventually I'll be able to figure it all out, but I'm honestly not sure if that will ever happen, and I'm equally not sure if I care enough to slog through it just on that hope. If this were a creative writing exercise I'd understand, and even accept it to an extent. But this is supposed to be a book that makes money and entertains people. The entertainment might possibly come later, but the money is never going to happen because the vast majority of people would try even less than I did. If I wanted to "work" for my reading, I'd be back in college.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
The story isn't that unique either or good. The only reason to read it is to see if you can figure shit out.

Even reading it is hard. It's like he skips sentences and whole paragraphs at times.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Just finishedThe Mirage, it had been on my fiction list for some time because the premise is pure catnip for alternate history buffs:

The Mirage_sl said:
11/9/2001: Christian fundamentalists hijack four jetliners. They fly two into the Tigris & Euphrates World Trade Towers in Baghdad, and a third into the Arab Defense Ministry in Riyadh. The fourth plane, believed to be bound for Mecca, is brought down by its passengers. The United Arab States declares a War on Terror. Arabian and Persian troops invade the Eastern Seaboard and establish a Green Zone in Washington, D.C. . . .

Summer, 2009: Arab Homeland Security agent Mustafa al Baghdadi interrogates a captured suicide bomber. The prisoner claims that the world they are living in is a mirage?in the real world, America is a superpower, and the Arab states are just a collection of "backward third-world countries. "Other captured terrorists have been telling the same story.

The gangster Saddam Hussein is conducting his own investigation. And the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee?a war hero named Osama bin Laden?will stop at nothing to hide the truth. As Mustafa and his colleagues venture deeper into the unsettling world of terrorism, politics, and espionage, they are confronted with questions without any rational answers, and the terrifying possibility that their world is not what it seems.
The book definitely started well but loses gas partway. It's a quick read so it was worth it, but it could've been so much better. There's been a dearth of good alt-history stuff lately tho.

The comparisons to Phillip K. Dick's Man in the High Castle almost feel deliberate tho.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It wasn't bad, just petered out halfway. It wan't as good as hisBad Monkeys, which was what drew my attention. Definitely not as good asYiddish Policeman's Unionor Robert Harris' alternate history stuff tho.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Finished two books this past weekend.

The Martian was a really good read. The main character is hilarious. I hope the movie is even half as good as the book.

Rahotep from Brian Trent was worth the .99. I like his historical fiction stuff so a modern day story was cool. It's only 150 pages so it was a fast read. Next book is coming out in December and I am really looking forward to it.

Brad2770

I had watched the Tom Cruise "War of the Worlds" movie when it came out. It wasn't bad. A little confused by a few things, but it was good.

Finished reading the original H.G. Wells book today. I'm not much of a reader and I had to kind of power through the first parts, but half way through I was hooked. Everyone knows or should know the story, so I won't go into it. I do feel like this would be an amazing mini series, film just as the book is written. I thought it was pretty amazing and liked it a lot more than I expected.

Started The Time Machine, but just a few pages in.